Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 11:49   #1996
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Yes, HDFC charges for IMPS. Even SBI! It seems even among the PSU banks (Sarkari :-)) only BoB, Union, IOB offers IMPS for free as of now.
Wonder why there is no consistency. Heard IMPS transaction cost is lower too. Some insider view can help.
We can carry on the discussion on IMPS on a separate thread at "http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/127537-interbank-mobile-payment-service-imps.html"
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:04   #1997
Senior - BHPian

A security tip to people who believe like I used to that we are too small a fragment in the large universe of the internet to ever be targeted by hackers.

I was under the exact same misconception.

I generally do not log off from websites except banking websites on my PC because I find entering the password each time I wish to use the website far too cumbersome.

I also had TeamViewer running on my PC all the time.

Both are a heady concoction for disaster.

I was outside the house today when I see that my Credit Card had been used on a site called G2A.com for Rs. 600. Then again for Rs. 530.

When I got to my PC to check what was happening, I see G2A.com open on my browser. And no one was at home.

Somehow, my TeamViewer credentials were compromised and this person gained unauthorized access to my PC.

He opened my e-Mail account, my PayPal account and used my credentials to make an account on a site called G2A.com.

He then made payments to the tune of Rs. 5200 using my PayPal account.

I have contacted SBI Card, PayPal and G2A.com to reverse the transaction.

A few security tips:

1) Never let TeamViewer or any other remote control software run all the time
2) Never save card details on websites
3) If you need to use your card on international websites, only turn on international usage when necessary. This is vital because domestic transactions mandate the usage of a One-Time Password (OTP). International websites do not need this.
4) Always run CCleaner or a similar application after using the internet to delete cookies
5) Shut down your PC when you aren't using it or get it to lock after a preset amount of minutes
6) Use Incognito mode as much as possible

Please share this as much as possible and get more people to know the hazards of being lax with cyber security.

It is a real threat and unless you take extra care of your data, you are exposing yourself to risks.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 23rd January 2016 at 09:25.
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:32   #1998
BHPian

Good points. Hope your issue was resolved. I follow these as well.
1) Never share credit card details or store on websites. The nuisance of saving credit card details (omnipresent across US) is creeping slowly in India. Netflix should be made to toe the Indian model for our safety.
Lucky that RBI stepped in and broke Uber's model for our customer safety.
ExtendedStay America charged me for 2 extra days after my check out date. I had to raise a complaint and follow up with bank. Luckily it got resolved soon. But prevention is better than cure. Hope the US businesses stop storing the card details in their systems. They should learn from India.
2) Use a dedicated card with low credit limit on websites. I have a card memorized and use it on websites.
3) DISABLE International Transactions by default. Activate only when needed. HDFC credit card has a lovely facility online to enable/disable (in their netbanking) and it works. International transactions just need card no and expiry date. THATS IT. Not even cvv is needed on some sites.
4) Scratch the CVV number as soon as you get the credit card
5) Disable/scratch the magnetic strip. Most of the POS have chip enabled machines. If not, they dont deserve my business.
6) Paste a sticker on the card no if possible.

Other safety points for offline/online credit card transactions are welcome.
Old 24th January 2016, 19:18   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
A security tip to people who believe like I used to that we are too small a fragment in the large universe of the internet to ever be targeted by hackers.

I was under the exact same misconception.
Thought i will share my experience few days back.

I received an SMS from HDFC back few days back, around 3 AM in the night, saying that my card has been temporarily blocked. I called up Phone Banking next morning but they weren't able to assist on what had happened. Later in the day got a call from Credit Card fraud devision in Chennai and the lady explained that my card was tried in couple of US online stores (JC Penny and Victoria's Secret ) for around Rs 33,000/- worth transactions, and was blocked by the bank. I immediately asked to block the card permanently, but was left wondering how this could have been possible and how one could prevent it.

I had used this card extensively last year during a visit to US (at variety of places and online), so that's one possibility where someone could have got the card details and tried their luck now. But that visit was nearly 6 months back.
Other possibility is my card was compromised recently and may be there is a racket of selling card information. Just couple of days before this incident i had been traveling out of the city and used the card to fill fuel at a petrol bunk, and i was little suspicious of the person who handled my transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Good points. Hope your issue was resolved. I follow these as well.
1) Never share credit card details or store on websites. The nuisance of saving credit card details (omnipresent across US) is creeping slowly in India. Netflix should be made to toe the Indian model for our safety.
Lucky that RBI stepped in and broke Uber's model for our customer safety.
ExtendedStay America charged me for 2 extra days after my check out date. I had to raise a complaint and follow up with bank. Luckily it got resolved soon. But prevention is better than cure. Hope the US businesses stop storing the card details in their systems. They should learn from India.
2) Use a dedicated card with low credit limit on websites. I have a card memorized and use it on websites.
3) DISABLE International Transactions by default. Activate only when needed. HDFC credit card has a lovely facility online to enable/disable (in their netbanking) and it works. International transactions just need card no and expiry date. THATS IT. Not even cvv is needed on some sites.
5) Disable/scratch the magnetic strip. Most of the POS have chip enabled machines. If not, they dont deserve my business.

Other safety points for offline/online credit card transactions are welcome.
Point 3 is very true about International transactions. Personally seen with AT&T site where it just takes the card number and expiry date.
Old 24th January 2016, 19:44   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) DISABLE International Transactions by default. Activate only when needed. HDFC credit card has a lovely facility online to enable/disable (in their netbanking)
Good points there - esp #4
Quote:
How Does this help ?

Last edited by condor : 24th January 2016 at 19:50.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:06   #2001
BHPian

Pasting a sticker prevents others from memorizing the card no and expiry date. Incidents such as Silent engine experienced, can be avoided.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:34   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

I deactivated international transactions it for HDFC credit card and Axis Debit card.

But I could not find such option for Citibank credit card and ICICI credit/debit cards.

I think all banks should provide this facility.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:32   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Best is to make a request to keep our credit limit at the lowest level one is comfortable with, to be restored to full temporarily as and when we require.
Old 25th January 2016, 12:27   #2004
BHPian

On a related note, I support Rupay system(Currently works only in India for debit cards- SAFE), and not yet in Credit cards (planning soon)
I really wonder how many of us need credit/debit card which is valid internationally on a daily basis. Yes, frequent business travellers may do.
For an one off international transaction, we can always ask our friends/relatives in US

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 25th January 2016 at 12:29. Reason: exension
Old 25th January 2016, 13:34   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good points all but slight confusion on point 4. If you scratch out CVV it means that you have to memorize it. Some sites do require CVV number for transactions still right!
Old 25th January 2016, 16:22   #2006
Senior - BHPian

I have been offered an Amex Gold charge card. Charges as per their website are Rs. 1000 in first year and Rs. 4500 from second year onwards. Do they negotiate on these charges or ideally waive them off? . I have never used Amex cards, are they worth it? The rewards are really good but besides that what do I get for 4.5K a year over the free lifetime cards from other banks?
Old 25th January 2016, 17:28   #2007
Distinguished - BHPian

The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I have been offered an Amex Gold charge card. Charges as per their website are Rs. 1000 in first year and Rs. 4500 from second year onwards. Do they negotiate on these charges or ideally waive them off? . I have never used Amex cards, are they worth it? The rewards are really good but besides that what do I get for 4.5K a year over the free lifetime cards from other banks?

I have given up on Amex a long time ago. And so has my company, we moved all our corporate cards, thousands of them, all to Mastercard.
I cant comment on the charges. The problem is the acceptance of Amex around the world. Despite their claims it is poor. Apparently they charge the retailers a lot too. So very often you will be asked to pay extra when you spend relatively small amounts on your card. I need credit cards that are accepted everywhere, without questions and without any surcharges by the vendor. I use. Corporate Mastercard and have a personal Master- and Visacard. They have given me excellent service when my account got hit by some fraudulent transactions. Spotted it before long before I was aware.

Last thing, in most of Europe you don't want to be seen with an Amex gold card. It means you are a bigger showoff then your typical BMW owner.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 25th January 2016 at 17:29.
Old 25th January 2016, 18:01   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have given up on Amex a long time ago. And so has my company, we moved all our corporate cards, thousands of them, all to Mastercard.
Jeroen
Amex customer service is bad. We also moved our corporate cards from Amex to Kotak (Visa). Getting something done by Amex customer service is next to impossible.

Amit, there are so many cards offer without any joining/annual fees. A premium card from your bank will be better than Amex. I have a regalia card from hdfc - no fees, no petrol surcharge (or waiver of surcharge), booking flight ticket using rewards points (and dedicated team to help you if any problem while doing online) and most important dedicated customer service line. Never had to wait and listen "your call is important to us, wait for next newmoon when our representatives will be free". And if you are calling from registered mobile, no new to key in or tell your card number also.
I'm sure Citi gold or other premium cards will also be as good.
Old 25th January 2016, 23:11   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Good points all but slight confusion on point 4. If you scratch out CVV it means that you have to memorize it. Some sites do require CVV number for transactions still right!
Yes, better to memorize it, or write on a piece of paper under lock and key. NEVER on cell phone please.
Old 25th January 2016, 23:20   #2010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Amex customer service is bad. We also moved our corporate cards from Amex to Kotak (Visa). Getting something done by Amex customer service is next to impossible.

Amit, there are so many cards offer without any joining/annual fees. A premium card from your bank will be better than Amex. I have a regalia card from hdfc - no fees, no petrol surcharge (or waiver of surcharge), booking flight ticket using rewards points (and dedicated team to help you if any problem while doing online) and most important dedicated customer service line. Never had to wait and listen "your call is important to us, wait for next newmoon when our representatives will be free". And if you are calling from registered mobile, no new to key in or tell your card number also.
I'm sure Citi gold or other premium cards will also be as good.

Amex is overhyped and over-rated. It doesnt deliver on the ground.
I used Amex Payback for 9 months when the fee was Rs 850 (including taxes) per year. I cancelled it at 9 months itself as I found its not worth it.
Problems
1) Limited acceptance - offline/online
2) No cash back offers
3) Their initial vouchers/benefits are farce. You can get them free on freecharge/paytm/cashkaro etc. In fact goibibo has Rs 5000 worth of good vouchers/discount coupons if you book tickets/hotels on goibibo.

I would not go back to Amex until something alluring comes up.
I am not sure of their Gold card , so no first hand opinion.

Most Viewed