Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2020, 22:41   #3466
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
All these days I have been using Citi Bank rewards cards which was not racking up any points. Citi bank recently stopped the Paytm CITIFRIDAY offer, which was the last nail in the coffin.

I hold a HDFC Bank - "classic banking" account since 2015 and after lot of follow up from my personal banker, I applied for Regalia card. I received it last month and have started using it inplace of the Citi rewards card. The bank gave me a Regalia card as life time free.

What are my chances to get the upgrade to Diners Club Black ? What should be the right spending pattern ? My credit usage is some where between 5 and 6 lacs per year.

Please advise.
U can think about the upgrade from Regalia to DCB only after 6-7 months. In these 6-7 Months, you will need to spend a decent amount on the credit card (My guesstimate would be around 3+ Lacs cumulative). This may still not guarantee you getting an upgrade on netbanking. You will need to download the upgrade form from HDFC Website and then send it across to Chennai office.
Old 10th February 2020, 22:47   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
U can think about the upgrade from Regalia to DCB only after 6-7 months. In these 6-7 Months, you will need to spend a decent amount on the credit card (My guesstimate would be around 3+ Lacs cumulative). This may still not guarantee you getting an upgrade on netbanking. You will need to download the upgrade form from HDFC Website and then send it across to Chennai office.
Thanks for responding. Did you get a free automatic upgrade or you too filled the upgrade form?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th February 2020 at 23:34. Reason: Typo.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:31   #3468
BHPian

Banks usually work on NRV (net relationship value).
So another way could be give them more business by doing FDs or doing investment through them.

I hold a lifetime free infinia card, offered by relationship manager purely on the basis of NRV. I wasn't holding any hdfc card before that.
Old 11th February 2020, 16:29   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for responding. Did you get a free automatic upgrade or you too filled the upgrade form?
I had sent a slightly nasty email to HDFC customer care regarding the devaluation of Regalia. The process I explained was a response received from them.
Old 11th February 2020, 16:52   #3470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Banks usually work on NRV (net relationship value).
So another way could be give them more business by doing FDs or doing investment through them.

I hold a lifetime free infinia card, offered by relationship manager purely on the basis of NRV. I wasn't holding any hdfc card before that.
I can't ask your NRV on a public forum, but I am assuming it will be very high as they are giving their best card free of cost.

Standard Chartered was at my office today for salary account opening. I agreed to open the account with them if they also give me a SC Ultimate credit card.

Let's see.

Last edited by F150 : 11th February 2020 at 17:11.
Old 11th February 2020, 17:02   #3471
Senior - BHPian

I have tried it over a decade but failed gloriously to manage credit cards. I somehow always end up screwing up the payment cycles, end up overpaying. In last two months I have paid up two cards of mine in full, would be doing the same for 3rd in a while. Then I would pledge to never ever ever use a CC in my life again.

It is a wonderful tool in the hand of financially wise man, the kind we have plenty here but it can create havoc in the hands of financially fool monkey like me.

I am out of here.
Old 11th February 2020, 17:30   #3472
BHPian

I have been using CC since early 2000 and never ever paid a single rupee as late payment. I began my CC journey with Citibank Rewards and now I have 3 CC, Citibank IOC (2L), HDFC DB (6L) and ICICI Amazon Pay (2.4L). All 3 CC are lifetime free. I hardly use CC for availing ‘Credit’ per se, but use it mainly to earn the reward points, to avail offers, cashbacks, etc. So, most of the time, I never wait for the statement to get generated and just pay off the outstanding as soon as I receive my salary. I know I am not utilizing the my CCs to its full advantage, but for me, peace of mind (that I don’t have any credit) matters more than the little SB interest that I might earn if I hold on the payment till last date.
Anyway, my intention of this post is, if you know how to manage your finance, then you can have as many CC as possible and utilize it to avail great benefits.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:30   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Standard Chartered was at my office today for salary account opening. I agreed to open the account with them if they also give me a SC Ultimate credit card.
Ask to give it as Lifetime Free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
.... In last two months I have paid up two cards of mine in full, would be doing the same for 3rd in a while. Then I would pledge to never ever ever use a CC in my life again.
Keep away two cards and use only one card.. try this for couple of months.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:44   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post

Keep away two cards and use only one card.. try this for couple of months.
That's a very sound advice. This helps two ways.
- ensuring one doesn't forget paying in time.
- accumulate all reward points/benefits at one place so that they actually total up to something usable! With good usage, you would likely get upgrades as well from that card.
Old 11th February 2020, 20:22   #3475
Senior - BHPian

With all billers communicating by e-mail and SMS it is extremely easy to use the computer to track the bills, and pay electronically. (you have to register and activate electronic communications for each biller)

I just have an excel sheet for Payments - MTNL, Cell Phone, Electricity, DJB, House Tax and all the credit cards.

The sheet has Due Date, Amount, Date Paid and Amount Paid. Whenever a bill comes (it is normally by e-mail and then an SMS), I enter the amount and due date in the sheet as the bills come. That way I keep track of around 10 payments which are spread over 15 days. I check the sheet regularly and pay at last two to three days ahead.

When ever I pay I update the sheet and at the end of last payment zero them. In case I missed the bill due to any reason I can check it online.
Old 11th February 2020, 20:47   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Ask to give it as Lifetime Free.

How do these "Lifetime Free" cards work? Do they remain free for as long as you hold the card, or can the bank take away the "Free" feature one fine morning after some changes made in the list of features (like a credit limit upgrade, for example)?

My "Lifetime Free" HDFC bank card has remained so for several years now. But just the other day I got an automated call (supposedly from HDFC bank) offering me a 3x credit line increase if I pressed "1". I got nervous (this year's budget still being fresh in mind!), and declined by pressing "2". --- Is it even prudent to respond to such automated calls?
Old 11th February 2020, 21:40   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
How do these "Lifetime Free" cards work? Do they remain free for as long as you hold the card, or can the bank take away the "Free" feature one fine morning after some changes made in the list of features (like a credit limit upgrade, for example)?
If you read the Terms and Conditions (the 100 page thing printed in font size 2), you will see 'bank can change the conditions anytime'. So theoretically it is possible for them to remove the free thing overnight. But usually it doesn't happen like that. Only when they discontinue that specific card etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
.. But just the other day I got an automated call (supposedly from HDFC bank) offering me a 3x credit line increase if I pressed "1". I got nervous (this year's budget still being fresh in mind!), and declined by pressing "2". --- Is it even prudent to respond to such automated calls?
It's better to 'press 2' in such cases. It's safer to check HDFC Netbanking, Credit Card, Upgrade Option or to call the customer service in case you are looking for upgrade of credit limit or to a higher level card.
Old 12th February 2020, 00:29   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
So it might be that there systems are still being updated/tested and it will take a while for it to be fairly working. Or there might be some more parameters which we aren't aware of or a combination of both.

This SMS based redemption is a hit or miss thing. Today I got a message after i filled Rs 1000 worth of fuel at IOC using PremierMiles card. I have not received any such messages for IOC fuel purchases before.
Other thing is, this SMS based redemption link was there earlier too. I found couple of similar messages in my phone for transactions at MORE and Starbucks from 2018 and 2019. But only two such messages in last couple of years!

Quote:
I have tried it over a decade but failed gloriously to manage credit cards. I somehow always end up screwing up the payment cycles, end up overpaying. In last two months I have paid up two cards of mine in full, would be doing the same for 3rd in a while. Then I would pledge to never ever ever use a CC in my life again.
Don't know what your cards or bank is, but it's always good to have a standing instruction set which will take care of full payment on the due date. Works great when the card is from the same bank and card payments will be on autopilot. Only thing to ensure is that there is sufficient balance in the bank on the due date.
Old 12th February 2020, 10:06   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried it over a decade but failed gloriously to manage credit cards. I somehow always end up screwing up the payment cycles, end up overpaying.
I am out of here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I just have an excel sheet for Payments.
When ever I pay I update the sheet and at the end of last payment zero them.
This is what I was going to suggest to you, BANDHAV.
First reduce your usage to just one card after you have paid up the dues on the other cards.
Create one excel sheet for your cards. Separate tabs for each card.
Type the billing cycle for each month's entries. And Due date.
Dutifully fill up this page every week with every debit and credit - this can be found in your credit card statement online.
Keep track of all your expenses. This will make you aware of where you are spending your money.

Additionally use the Calendar App on your phone to set reminders for the last date to pay the bills. And set two alerts - one alert for two days before and one alert for one day before due date.
All your financial planning will go for a toss when you pay those late fees and taxes on those fees - something that could have been avoided with a little prudent expenses tracking.

All the best.
Old 12th February 2020, 10:18   #3480
BHPian

I would recommend folks here trying to keep up with due dates etc to try out SMS Organizer app from Microsoft. I use it on android phone for last few years and there is no going back from it for me.

It will keep track of your credit cards for you based on all the SMS messages you get - showing you your credit account statement, current outstanding, due date etc... all reconstructed/tracked through SMS.

Most Viewed