Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2018, 09:41   #2761
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Guys, anyone using the contact-less payment cards in India? How useful is it in India? SBI offered me a free upgrade to SBI Prime and they mentioned contact-less payment as one of the card's features. I know they're really useful in most of Europe and US. But I haven't come across the NFC enabled POS devices in India as much.
Been using this card for about 6 months now. Saw only POS device so far which had this capability, but the bill amount was more than the limit set for contactless payment.
Old 6th April 2018, 11:14   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
2. Will American Express be accepted everywhere the visa and master cards are? My spends are mostly on dining, shopping and fuel. Occasional travel where i can benefit from lounge access.
Generally Amex has limited spread as compared to Visa/mastercard. I doubt if it is very useful as a single credit card. However the rewards and the service are great, so it is perfect to use in combination with other credit card.

Dining and shopping do have Amex machine mostly, but for fuel only HP will have Amex machine. In such times you will need to use other credit/debit card.
Old 6th April 2018, 13:22   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
1. Will an existing credit card effect credit limit for the new card that am buying? I have anyways decided to cancel the Axis bank credit card. Else ill have to submit statements to ICICI bank for them to process with the new card.
The credit limit gets freed up when you cancel a credit card. But that could take days to reflect on your credit history. Credit limits are completely in banks discretion. So there is no guarantee that you will see your preferential figure in credit limit column. If banks see good creditworthiness usually they extend the limits to very high amounts.

Quote:
2. Will American Express be accepted everywhere the visa and master cards are? My spends are mostly on dining, shopping and fuel. Occasional travel where i can benefit from lounge access.
I'd suggest you to opt for Visa/Mastercard. The number of retail outlets that accept Amex is far less even in cities, let alone smaller towns or villages. You can chose an Amex as your second/third card instead.
Old 6th April 2018, 15:08   #2764
BHPian

Thank you for the responses guys and appreciate it!
So now am thinking of opting for the Amex fuel card from ICICI and retain the Axis card as my primary one.
Anyways, the credit limit doesn't bother me much but wanted to just understand how cancelling an existing card would effect the parameters for the new one.
Now all i have to do is learn balancing between these two!
Old 6th April 2018, 22:50   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Let me know if you get. For some reason mine is taking it is own sweet time. No one has any clue on how much time it will take.
Just to update, got a message stating they have approved my card and it will reach in a week. finally a happy ending after 2 months.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:09   #2766
BHPian

After searching all over the place for my queries, I least expected to find the answers on TBhp, but I should have known better.
This is truly the best forum I have ever joined.
Now, my noob questions for you all:

I have a Regalia First Credit Card (mastercard) with lounge access and my wife has a HDFC Solitaire Credit Card (mastercard) also with lounge access.
A - Now, suppose we want to access a lounge at Delhi Airport - domestic, do we just walk up there, show/swipe our cards and get access?
B - Is this access charged? Does the limit of 2 visits per quarter apply here?
C - We haven't got any priority pass. Do we need to separately apply for it?
D - What about International lounge access? Is the process same or different?
E - How is Mastercard driven lounge access different from priority pass driven lounge access?

I read that priority pass is charging $27 per lounge access. Is it after the 2 free visits are done or is this some processing fee for the "free" visits?

Sorry for so many queries, but I do not want to appear as a fool in front of the lounge staff and hence want to be armed with complete knowledge before making the move.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:13   #2767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
A - Now, suppose we want to access a lounge at Delhi Airport - domestic, do we just walk up there, show/swipe our cards and get access?
Yes; show your Regalia card

Quote:
Rs. 2, which is reversed. HDFC recently revised (increased) complimentary visits. Check with HDFC for the revised no. of visits. I have a Regalia (a small step above Regalia First) and I get 12/year.

Quote:
Yes; but Priority Pass is required only in Int'l lounges and lounges in the international terminals in India

Quote:
Same; swipe your PP card.

Quote:
E - How is Mastercard driven lounge access different from priority pass driven lounge access?
Not different.

Quote:
I read that priority pass is charging $27 per lounge access. Is it after the 2 free visits are done or is this some processing fee for the "free" visits?
After your free visits.
Old 4th May 2018, 15:30   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Yes; but Priority Pass is required only in Int'l lounges and lounges in the international terminals in India
My experience has been a little different. Have used the normal Amex/Visa/Master card in International Departure lounge at Bangalore and same works the way it works in Domestic departure lounge
Old 4th May 2018, 15:50   #2769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

I have a Regalia First Credit Card (mastercard) with lounge access and my wife has a HDFC Solitaire Credit Card (mastercard) also with lounge access.
Most of your questions have been answered - just to add 2 cents based on my recent experiences in the international lounge.

A lot of folks find out that their cards no longer support (free/discounted) access to these lounges; and decide to go back if that happens. So feel free to give it a try.

In my case, my HDFC corporate card charges me a small 25 INR for every visit.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:55   #2770
Senior - BHPian

My father has a Hdfc savings account. Now he wants to opt for a credit card with them. Which is the best possible card for him in terms of benefits? Also, what kind of documentation is required for a new card.
Old 5th May 2018, 22:11   #2771
BHPian

Getting contradictory info regarding complimentary lounge access on HDFC Regalia Mastercard.

Both the TFS lounge at Kolkata international departure and the Plaza Premium at New Delhi International Departure informed me that HDFC removed the complimentary access from the Regalia card.

Today called the Mastercard helpline and they confirmed that my card is valid for complimentary access and I have still 8 access remaining. Also received an email from HDFC this afternoon:
Quote:
2. Mastercard Lounge Access Programme

For lounge visits within India, please swipe your Regalia First Mastercard Credit Card and avail 8 complimentary lounge accesses per calendar year through Mastercard Lounge programme

Please to know more about Mastercard lounge program
Now I'm confused!!

Last edited by archat68 : 5th May 2018 at 22:12.
Old 5th May 2018, 22:46   #2772
BHPian

I’m so frustrated with HDFC that I surrendered my card recently. Initially I had a Doctors Superia card (Visa Signature). It gave me lounge access both domestic and International.

Then during my card renewal, without any sort of intimation, they issued a HDFC moneyback (regular Visa) card with none of the above benefits. On asking them why my card type was changed, they said the Doctors card has been discontinued.

I used this card exclusively for travelling and now this new card is absolutely useless.

Surrendered this card and got one from Standard Chartered. Works like a charm. Also have one from PNB which also works beautifully when it comes to lounge access (2 per quarter).
Old 6th May 2018, 02:33   #2773
Distinguished - BHPian

<rant> I think HDFC has painted themselves into a corner by issuing so many types of confusing tiers in their credit cards and shuffling people seemingly randomly across them. Regalia, Regalia First, Superia...from a customer’s point of view it shouldn’t matter as long as I get good service and a consistent experience, which is sorely lacking.

In my own case, I have held an HDFC card (started off as Superia, I think it’s Regalia now) for about 9 years now. In the beginning I was quite delighted by their service- the calls used to go directly to a service rep without those silly IVR options they have now; the rep would recognise me from my registered mobile that I was calling on (this doesn’t happen any more- they insist on validating you, sometimes even after you have entered everything in the IVR); even the quality of the service reps seems to have gone steadily downhill. Plus the Rewards system is crazy confusing and the lounge access policy seems to get worse and worse every year.

As a customer, I feel cheated. So last year I took an Amex Gold card. I spend a pretty huge amount on credit card- petrol for both cars, grocery shopping, restaurants and pretty much all my utility payments- and by happy chance these days most petrol pumps have started accepting Amex. Plus I have spent a lot of time abroad this year and find spending on Amex much easier. Their customer service is pretty much unbeatable: I joke with my friends that if I am having a bad day, I call up the Amex helpline just to hear a friendly voice

They charge an annual fee but that gets waived or knocked off using points if you spend enough. I still retain my HDFC card since unfortunately Amex is still not accepted everywhere but it is no longer my primary card. I have given this feedback to the HDFC folks but they don’t seem to care. Well, it’s their loss!
Old 6th May 2018, 23:07   #2774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to cancel my axis bank credit card and then applying for ICICI bank coral credit card powered by American Express..... Will an existing credit card effect credit limit for the new card that am buying?
Amex Gold is a good choice to go with. I don't know what ICICI powered by Amex means but hybrids don't usually look good to me as the fashion changes every few years and partners separate. In terms of quality of service goes, as Noopster says, Amex is so far ahead of any other credit card in India that there is no comparison. And you start enjoying that service and a human to speak to each time you desire. I have been an Amex Gold holder since I think 1991 and wouldn't change that card.
Quote:
Will American Express be accepted everywhere the visa and master cards are?
Acceptance in India is significantly higher today than even 3 years ago. However some small establishments prefer to not entertain Amex or restrict Amex to only higher value purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In my own case, I have held an HDFC card for about 9 years now..... So last year I took an Amex Gold card.
Could not agree with you more. HDFC Bank's quality of service has dropped sharply over the last decade in direct proportion to their increase in their 'best bank awards'. I have pulled out most of my services from HDFC Bank expect stuff like the demat shares account which is too much of a hassle to shift. Writing directly to their Board members is needed to shift the needle on service or get their Regional Heads to act on a problem. Sad because they are otherwise a well performing bank and seem to be run on solid values.
Old 6th May 2018, 23:26   #2775
BHPian

Since everyone is rating the Amex Gold Card so high, I checked it up on their website to see what it is all about. I came away mighty impressed and decided to apply for one.

During the process I found out that they don't yet offer cards in the region I am from. Is that condition true?

I would appreciate any tips to get the card.

Most Viewed