Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

it is nothing but frustration and ego trip .Many a times people derive sadistic pleasure in such acts and i have faced couple of situations like that..
Old 29th March 2011, 15:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The OP should have parked inside the compound or some other place where it does not hinder anybody else.
Looking at the picture i don't really see any hindrance caused to anyone. Or am i missing something here?
Old 29th March 2011, 15:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
Also public roads are not meant for parking cars. Unless they are demarcated as such. I dont see any parking lines there. It should be our courtesy that we park the car a few blocks away or a few meter away to preserve others space requirement.
Long time since I visited Blore - so not sure how it is there, but I am yet to see a road in Chennai in a residential area with parking lines. Regarding parking a few blocks away, I can't obviously park my car in front of a house that I am not visiting - so not sure what you meant by this. I can only park in the frontage of my friend's complex.

Quote:
Did you have to park there right next to the gate? Could you not find a spot to park which could not have created such a situation anyways.
I am doubting whether you even read what I posted. Atleast the pic should have made it clear. I did not park in front of the guy's gate + the road is super wide. Also, my friend's complex is a small one having limited frontage.

Quote:
This is one reason my friends never make out why I don't park in that spot that looks totally legal to them.
I am curious : If you were in my place, where would you have parked ? Don't tell me you would have driven away since you did not see parking lines.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

When there are no demarcated parking areas, and the apt complex we visit does not allow visitors to park inside, what else to do? I don't see how your baleno could have blocked the Ikon guy's access.

But still, if I were you I would have parked parallel to the ivory coloured wall which is seen a little beyond the lamp post abutting the garage. That seems long enough to accommodate a sedan, even assuming there is a gate close to the lamp post that we can't see in the picture.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:27   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Looking at the picture i don't really see any hindrance caused to anyone. Or am i missing something here?
He has parked on a public road. That's not allowed. If you leave a vehicle in such a spot there needs to be a qualified driver in it at all times.

He has taken up 1/4th space of the public road. That's an hindrance to traffic.

No you are not stupid, just ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I can only park in the frontage of my friend's complex.
Rules and regulations in this country are lax. One due to the corruption and two due to the fact that we are ignorant to basic stuff.

You can park a vehicle on a public road only if there is a qualified person to move it whenever required. One cannot arbitrarily park anywhere they please.

If your friends house was on a more busier road could you have still parked on his frontage? The friend apparently does not have a parking slot inside? Go to my first line rules, regulation and corruption. + Ignorance.

Quote:
Atleast the pic should have made it clear. I did not park in front of the guy's gate + the road is super wide. Also, my friend's complex is a small one having limited frontage.
So you are fine with parking on a lane of a 8 lane highway? You are perfectly right in doing it because its wide.

Quote:
I am curious : If you were in my place, where would you have parked ? Don't tell me you would have driven away since you did not see parking lines.
Worse case: I had to park where you have parked. But if asked by a cyclist to move the car. I could have moved it without asking for a justification from the cyclist.

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th March 2011 at 15:35.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Neither do I.
But i dont understand the context of we as "indians".
Similar parking done in SG,UK,even China(which is driven even more by rules) in similar standalone aprtments.
There is no rule, much less a law against this as such.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.

The OP should have parked inside the compound or some other place where it does not hinder anybody else.
Which law prevents from parking on road?

It is allowed to park on road as long is it is not obstructing traffic. If Municipality thinks otherwise, said street/road is declared as "No Parking".

From page 60 of Mumbai police manual, parking is not allowed only in these cases:
Quote:
Parking in flow of traffic --- 22(a) RRR 177 MVA
Parking away from footpath --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Parking against flow of traffic --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Obstruction by parking --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Parking on taxi stand --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Parking in not prescribed manner --- 15(1) RRR 177 MVA
Parking at corner --- 15(i) RRR 177 MVA
Parking within 15 meters on either side of bus stop --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Parking on bridge --- 15(2) (i) RRR 177 MVA
Parked at traffic island --- 15(i) RRR 177 MVA
Parked in No Parking area --- 15(2) RRR 177 MVA
Parked on pedestrian crossing --- 15(2)(iii) RRR 177 MVA
Parked on footpath --- 15(2)(ii) RRR 177 MVA
Parked in front of gate --- 15(2)(viii) RRR 177 MVA
Causing obstruction to traffic by parking --- 15(1) RRR 177 MVA
Old 29th March 2011, 15:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would believe this is a residential lane in a residential area. also from the picture you can see many other cars also parked similarly. As long as there is no NO PARKING sign, i don't think there is any problem parking where you did. Also you cannot expect these lanes to have clear marked areas indicating where you should park.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire, I know that you are based in Goa/Blore, but still decided to check the location, given the logic you have given about parking. So when you go to visit someone in Blore whose apartment does not allow visitors to park inside, what do you do ? Drive back home or go find a public parking lot (the nearest one which would be in another country, given how things are here) ?

I am atleast grateful that you give me credit for using only 1/4th of the road and did not instead say that I blocked the whole road. Another thing you probably missed in the heat of your righteous indignation is the time this happened (close to midnight) and given Chennai's nightlife (or the lack of it), I am not sure what hindrance (if at all) are we talking about.

Quote:
So you are fine with parking on a lane of a 8 lane highway?
While parking on a highway is an entirely different case, assume you are driving to the airport to catch a flight and your Jeep breaks down on the highway. You call your garage to send a tow-truck and proceed by some other means to the airport. What about the Jeep till the tow truck arrives ? Leave it parked on the slowest lane with hazard lights on, or push it over the road onto the ditch since a vehicle is not supposed to be parked on the road without an attendant driver ?

Quote:
Worse case: I had to park where you have parked.
Well, if you would have done exactly what I did, not sure what the whole indignation bit is about. And about moving your car if a cyclist asks you to, a normal person would think how the car is blocking the cyclist's path, before blindly proceeding to move his car.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th March 2011 at 15:46.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has parked on a public road. That's not allowed. If you leave a vehicle in such a spot there needs to be a qualified driver in it at all times.

Rules and regulations in this country are lax. One due to the corruption and two due to the fact that we are ignorant to basic stuff.
Can you specify which rule has this requirement of having a driver in a vehicle parked in public road?

Only thing rules specify that if car is parked and starts causing hindrance, it can be towed at owner's cost [15(1)(i) RRR 177 MVA]

Gazette in MH has fixed the cost to 200 for cars.

Quote:
So you are fine with parking on a lane of a 8 lane highway? You are perfectly right in doing it because its wide.
ALL 8 lane highways have outermost lanes for parking / temp stops.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:53   #26
BHPian

some people just dont like car parked opp their house. I had a neighbour who used to park his vehicle out in opposite road during entire day and would park it in only on night. He used to fight with anyone who used to park opposite his house saying he is unable to get his vehicle out
Old 29th March 2011, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Isn't a vehicle with a driver sitting in it technically halted and not parked.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:05   #28
Mik
BHPian

The iKon guy was on an ego trip. There are many people who will just create a nuisance because they feel like it.
The reality is that in India there are hardly any parking lines and almost no public parking lots near residential plots. Blame it on the planners if you will, but nobody foresaw such an explosion of car sales in the last decade. In such a scenario, everyone has to adjust a bit. Its the story of India, from overcrowded trains to long queues. Unfortunately, dealing with these ego maniacs is not easy. Better to take the path of least resistance and move the car.
I live in gurgaon sectors where parking is a nightmare. All cars are parked outside the gates only. Once, my car was parked opposite an empty house's gate. The owner of the house adjacent that house had a problem with the car being parked there. His reasoning.. "ghar pe ladies hai !!!"

Beat that !!
Old 29th March 2011, 16:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.
The IKON guy was right in creating a scene. I come across this upteem times on the road.
Park in a assigned parking spot don't park wherever is convenient to you.
I know its hard to digest this here in India.
And more surprising is the fact that this happens to be on the most viewed automotive forum in India.

Just curious to know, are you living in India?

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th March 2011 at 16:18.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:08   #30
BHPian

Guys if parking on public roads is illegal then 95% of all the parkings in our country is illegal and the RTO will be making a beeline to fine them and will be quite rich! The issue here is we do not have designated parking areas like the west and we cannot afford to copy them either. Where is the space? In a city like Bangalore 1000 vehicles get added every day on the roads! where is this going to end? It is a governence issue. If public parking is not allowed then we better start walking or take public transport
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks