Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 18:05   #46
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I loved the American style of colored pavements. If the pavement is colored RED, don't park. So simple and so effective.
Oh you snatched the words from me. What stops us from adopting to such simple but effective ways of things be it in any walk of life!
Old 29th March 2011, 18:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

This used to happen in Jayanagar (Bangalore) when I visited my cousin's place. My Accent did attract a fair bit of attention from the opposite neighbours. My cousin used to smile brightly and tell her husband to repark the car whenever the neighbour complained. Sometimes he would just take it forward a couple of feet or inch it closer to the curb- no real difference. I suppose its just a human equivalent of dogs marking their territory: ignore it and move on!
Old 29th March 2011, 18:32   #48
BHPian

Like many others, I find the Alto to be parked quite sensibly and so i can also assume that the Baleno was rationally parked as well.

I find that quoting/citing the legal provisions(MV Act) in this instant case is totally uncalled for and infact common sense should prevail. Judging rationally, the parked Alto is not causing/not likely to cause any inconvenience to commuters, neighbors or society.

That said, I would have removed/relocated my car a few meters here and there without any arguments whatsoever just to avoid the nuisance. When on the streets, i try my best not to indulge/confront because i love my vehicle and its occupants(most of the time) and cant allow a disgruntled maniac to cause harm to them, not that one cant retaliate, but retaliation is most often not the smartest option.

Once i was riding a cab through a congested Kolkata road, and the cab driver went a bit errant while overtaking a Figo and casued some discomfort to the Figo's driver, but no damage was done as the vehicles never came into physical contact. Subsequently, the Figo's driver/occupants caught up with the cab at the next signal and started throwing abuses and "hand-signals" at the cab-driver. In return, not only did the cab driver return the verbal niceties he ended up smashing the rear-end of the Figo with his cab and fled off.

Lesson: avoid indulging on streets unless absolutely necessary. Imagine what would have happened if that frustrated maniac( neighbor with ikon referred) ended up damaging your ride. Yes you could easily have returned the favor, but at the end of the day you would only yield a damaged car and regret.
Old 29th March 2011, 18:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

I read this thread within first few min when OP posted it but surprised to see so many replies.
The problem is we have too much time to make the scene at every possible occasion and SB's opponent had done it perfectly.

@spitfire,
ideally your points are valid but practically everyone can not follow it.
Old 29th March 2011, 19:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Indeed it is parked incorrectly, because it is facing the wrong side of traffic. But the car was parked there 'momentarily' just so that I can take a snap for this thread. He has a slot inside and does not need to park on the road.
A picture of your Baleno parked in inclined position, 50% on curb etc would have helped instead of a picture of your friend's Alto?

If I were you I would have moved the car (no questions asked) and would have saved my friend from some embarrassment.
Old 29th March 2011, 19:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He has parked on a public road. That's not allowed. If you leave a vehicle in such a spot there needs to be a qualified driver in it at all times.

He has taken up 1/4th space of the public road. That's an hindrance to traffic.

No you are not stupid, just ignorant.
You are literally spitting fire now I still do not understand what hindrance it is causing at midnight on this road with plenty of space for other vehicles to move around. But that is fine. I for one also make sure that i do not cause any hindrance to other vehicles while parking but now would have to be extra careful in assessing the hindrance. Rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@spitfire,
ideally your points are valid but practically everyone can not follow it.
The points are valid. But for this particular post and situation?

Last edited by amitwlele : 29th March 2011 at 19:33.
Old 29th March 2011, 19:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
The points are valid. But for this particular post and situation?

Arey Amit,
samaz le na,
someone has to pour water on fire.

No offense please.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 29th March 2011 at 19:45.
Old 29th March 2011, 20:25   #53
BHPian

I stay in a residential colony and off late there are new apartments that have come up in the area. Trouble is there are no visitor car parks designated for the apartment and always visitor car parks occupy the road affecting the free flow of in traffic, not that it but them have to extra cautious while driving in the lane.

I can relate to the neighbor, a situation where the old residents used tro take out the vehicle easily and the new apartment visitors park the vehicles in the road causing trouble for them. Whay cant the apartments provide visitor car park inside the complex have a free slots designated for free parking?

While the paking in this case is not violating the law, imagine the plight of the guy who have to deal with this isue day after day.

Regards,
George V
Old 29th March 2011, 21:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge
Whay cant the apartments provide visitor car park inside the complex have a free slots designated for free parking?
Let us look at it from another viewpoint. Assume Ikon guy has a visitor and the Ikon is parked in the garage. He has no other parking space. Where will the visitor park his car ? Alongside Ikon guy's gate/frontage, right ? Is that wrong ? Not IMO if they park it as much away from the road as possible.

Now assume my friend from opposite apartment comes and tells them to move the car citing the same reason that Ikon guy did. Would you say he would be right in doing that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvgeorge
While the paking in this case is not violating the law, imagine the plight of the guy who have to deal with this isue day after day.
I could not see any plight there as I was not blocking his way at all. And the road being wide, he had more than enough space to get his car in and out.
Old 29th March 2011, 22:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you are within the rules. But I think the guy in the Ikon may have been used to parking his car into his garage by starting his turn at the side of your friend's gate. Must not have had the confidence to negotiate his car in th drastically reduced space.

Look on the positive side - it is better he called you. If such a person starts trying to park chances are high that he may have banged your Baleno. I would say - account for his not so confident driving skills.

Something that may help is to have a card in your car with your cell phone number written on it. Occasionally when I park in such a way that I feel may be restricting space. I put this card near my windshield with instructions to call me if it is required to move my car. I rather move my car than have it banged up. Measure the space needed not by your driving skill but the low skill level of an average driver in these parts of the world. Display the card with caution though - privacy concerns and all.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 29th March 2011 at 22:29.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:13   #56
BHPian

In no intention of disrespecting the elderly, but I don't understand why the Ikon guy has to park his car inside is he is so worried about the patient. Why would he want to waste some precious seconds in opening the garage door in case of emergency.
Regarding parking, it won't be possible for the authorities to build a parking on that lane even if they want to as the space is very little. I am sure if the authorities started enchroachment, the Ikon guy will the first one to cause an issue and by the looks of it, his garage door might be over illegal itself.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

His building looks illegal too. You need to have 10 meters gap from the compound wall to the building.

By the way, I ran into a similar situation when visiting my inlaws place at Ayanavaram. My FIL's scooter was parked in front of their house. So I parked the car alongside an abandoned property (you know, the kind of property which is used as a dustbin for the locality).

Suddenly the opposite house owner knocked the house and started shouting at my FIL. My FIL moved his scooter inside the house and requested me to move the car to where it was. I asked why. He said, "Thats the place this person usually parks. He lives opposite.". I said, "I'm not aware of any law that says the person living on the opposite side of the road has any more right to park there than anyone else.". But my FIL looked as if he didnt want to get into a conflict with his neighbor, so I just deferred to him and moved the car.

Yes as someone said it is analogous to animals marking their territory.
Old 30th March 2011, 00:59   #58
BHPian

At my place in tvm, if i start fighting with everybody who has parked like you had, I would have only time for fighing. My house is very close to a busy junction and lots of times cars especially lady drivers park right in front of my house(not the opposite side of the lane). If i have to go somewhere, i go and request those folks to move their car and most people are quick to oblige and some say sorry too. Some do it unhappily also.

I guess it's easy to start a fight.I am yet to see one indian who follows all the rules. if anybody says that they do, they are just ignorant because its just not possible in our country. The thing to do is live and let live and be reasonable and civil.

I don't think you did anything wrong, supreme baleno. the other person just had a bad day.

By the way since you have posted the locality picture in the forum, sure the person in that pink building will somehow come to know about this thread .

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 30th March 2011 at 01:03.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He stays in an independent home opposite my friend's flat and says I need to move the car because while he can park the car in his garage, he would not be able to get it out, if he has to take it out again at night.
Going by your words I feel, there is absolutely no fault of yours. This is just another case of an adamant / arrogant behavior of a guy forcing his decision down someones throat just to satisfy his ego. I can understand the medical stuff but there is ample space available for him to park. If he can park easily, getting out would me much easier.

@Supremebaleno just forget about this incident, there are lots of "such guys" on and off the roads. Adichu polichu jeevikku ishta(Be happy that it is not your fault)

Spike
Old 30th March 2011, 12:22   #60
Team-BHP Support

Just got on this thread, and loved the way responses poured in

Mr. S Baleno, I am completely with you on this case. The Alto pictured gives a fair indication on how you have parked your Baleno.

About parking being illegal on the road. First of all, it looks like a residential lane, with no road markings whatsoever. And then do we really have road markings on these residential lanes in India. Last year when I was in Bangalore, my car was parked just outside my MIL’s house and there were long line of cars on each side of the road, parked there in harmony with no dispute at all. Most of the houses were duplex, with landlord staying in one floor, and the tenant on the other. And they have only one covered parking, which is normally taken up by the landlord.

I agree with spitfire on the point that one should follow the legal ways for parking. But if there are no enforced law (maybe there is one in paper – from the days of independence), and you’re not parking in a ‘no parking area’, it should be fine. And parking in a 8-lane highway is different from parking outside a house. And this is not the case with India alone. Even in the west, or where I live (Singapore) this is a common practice. The key difference is, here people show respect to each other, and when there is a need, will not hesitate to help each other by allowing to park / offer to move.

Mr. Baleno, from what I infer, as a good roaduser, you were about to move your car, and then your friend’s neighbor started going overboard. I guess if he mention to you that he need hoards of space to take his car in and out (maybe due to lack of skill), you would have obliged. But talks like ‘I own the road around my compound’ is quite unacceptable.

We can talk about law for many more pages. But just think about this – if Baleno’s friend's neighbor was polite and have the courtesy to communicate in a sane manner, this thread wouldn’t have happened!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks