Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Looking at this thread that has gone so long, I find the main reason is our egos. We will never know how the thread starter parked his car and how much of a inconvenience it caused to the Ikon guy.
Shouldn't we use common sense? What would have happened if both had showed some compassion towards each other and adjusted towards each other? Maybe it would have left both feeling better!
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:48   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

@SB: Been there, done that.
Tried reasoning patiently in the first instance (like you did). Didn't work.
Since then , I just ignore the person and carry on.
One thing though, I check the car for any signs of vandalism when I return.
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:27   #123
BHPian

No wonder B.B.M.P in Bangalore is Planning to tax vehicle owners who normally park their cars on the roadside!! I know we conveniently forget the law and use all small roads, lanes as parking lots!!

Yes we always hide behind "boards" I am no exception in looking for a easy way out! the root cause of this problem is the sudden/fast growth of our economy!! two decades ago owning a car was a luxury few could afford and no one had the foresight to make a place for a car when we built the house. Now most of us have multiple cars!! were do we park them? roadside of course and put a no parking sign for others! I have seen people getting in to fights claiming that the space in front of their house is for them for parking.

The city infrastructure is already pushed to the limit and in future I do not see this change as we are adding millions of cars every year and our infrastructure can not grow at that pace! Private bodies, citizens do have the responsibility towards changing the situation rather than complain and crib!
Old 4th April 2011, 12:27   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I had dropped in at my friend's place at Velachery (Chennai) after work around 10PM. Since his apartment-complex does not have parking for visitors, I parked my car on the street alongside their gate, with the passenger-side adjacent to the gate. Infact, my car was parked in an incline position - in my effort to keep it as close as possible to the gate to avoid taking too much road space. Around midnight, the watchman rings the bell and says that I need to move the car since it is obstructing someone else. I assume that a resident of my friend's apartment wants to take his car out and since my car is parked along their gates, I go down to move my car.

But when I go down, I see an Ikon parked outside the apartment near which stands a young guy dressed like he is back from work. I am not sure what the problem my car is causing here because he is not getting his car out of the complex - infact he does not even reside in the apartment. He stays in an independent home opposite my friend's flat and says I need to move the car because while he can park the car in his garage, he would not be able to get it out, if he has to take it out again at night. I tell him that I would be leaving in 30mins anyway. Also, as I see it there is more than enough space for him to park the car and take it out. Plus, if he can park in, would taking the car out be any different ? He still insists I move the car.

I tell him that I see no reason why I should move the car, since I am not obstructing the path to his garage - my car being on the opposite side of the road. He mumbles something about some sick person at home and so possibility of him having to take the car out at odd times. Even though I have parked it correctly & I can see that there is more than enough space for him to both park and take out his car, I decide to move my car on hearing the medical stuff.

I walk to my car & have not yet opened the car door when he says something about visitors to the apartment always parking cars here and how it is a big nuisance. That blows my top and I tell him that I see no reason why cars parked alongside the apartment should be termed a nuisance to someone who stays on the other side of the road. He says something on the lines of "If you dont move the car, dont blame me if your car is damaged". I tell him that I would like to see him damaging the car, lock my car and start to walk back to the apartment.

He says he will call the police to complain about the parking. I tell him that he can complain to anyone he deems fit, since I dont see a mistake on my side. And then the guy rushes off - I assume he has gone to call the cops. Meanwhile his aged Mom comes on the scene and says "Why all this trouble, thambi? He is returning from work and has not had his dinner. Plus his Dad is a patient etc etc". I calmly tell her that even though my car is not parked wrongly or blocking his way, I was about to move it and the only thing that stopped me is his saying that I had parked wrongly, which is not the case.

Meanwhile the guy who I thought was going to the cops went rushing to my friend's apartment, rang the bell and tells him that his guest (me) is fighting with his Mom, while I was talking calmly with her. The poor friend rushes down and tells me to ignore and just move the car. Being a guest, I go by his word to avoid any trouble later for him and move the car. We go back to the flat and 30mins later I leave for home.

I know that parking in a "No parking" zone is illegal. Plus even when no signs are there, parking in front of someone's gate is wrong. But is there any logic in what this guy was saying ? See pic below to get an idea of the situation.

Attachment 525026

My car was parked where my friend's Alto is parked - the gates of my friend's apartment-complex is seen on the right of the Alto. Difference being that my Baleno was parked closer to the gates in an incline position. Plus I had parked it in the opposite direction to how Alto is parked. The gate you see to the left of the Alto is the guy's garage. The pic would also give an idea of how wide the road is.
Something similar to this happened to me also. I had parked my new Ritz in the parking spot which I had rented in my society. Now there is a covered parking exactly perpendicular to my spot and there is Toyota corolla parked there. One morning the owner of the corolla told me that he is having problems reversing his corolla and that I should park my car more towards the side. I did so. However the same night he had banged my right fender and slightly dented it. Even I felt he had enough space to reverse but I guess he was not expert enough to negotiate. To be safe from now on I have exchanged the parking space with another one. I totally understand how you feel.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:18   #125
BHPian

I believe bblost was talking about the very same man. If you follow him, show it in your actions.
And I don't need anyone's "help" to read this thread". You do.
The space in front of your site is NOT your property, and unless and until a vehicle parked in front of your house is blocking your gate, I'd mind if you deflate it's tyres or whatever.

And please do tell us (or at least me via PM) which area in Bangalore you stay in? It would be beneficial for Bangalore Team-BHPians, so that just in case I come back to my car only to see the tyres deflated, I will know who did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
@bblost : I don't want to take lessons on sense of humor. If you did'nt get that, I can't help.

I draw my inspiration from an other lawyer from Gujarat - Sardar patel.

@Arkin evoisrevo : my reply to you is same as I have given bblost. Read the whole thread with someone's help if you don't understand my point. I am sure you are totally lost.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 4th April 2011 at 13:33.
Old 4th April 2011, 18:09   #126
BHPian

Quote:
My car was parked where my friend's Alto is parked - the gates of my friend's apartment-complex is seen on the right of the Alto. Difference being that my Baleno was parked closer to the gates in an incline position. Plus I had parked it in the opposite direction to how Alto is parked. The gate you see to the left of the Alto is the guy's garage. The pic would also give an idea of how wide the road is.
The only thing I can say is that get that other guy to Delhi and then ask him to try the same tactic. Getting a car here in Delhi is easy, the real task is to extract the parking space though!!!
Old 4th April 2011, 18:45   #127
Senior - BHPian

This thread sure has it all. BHP-ians advising others to be calm and courteous towards your fellow man and then calling every other person on the forum "ignorant". Maybe show a little courtesy towards fellow members too, wot say?

We also have a 5.11, 100 kg gentleman with (apparently) intimidating facial hair, who believes he is a ....... ahem........ Boy. :-)

I agree with the stand SB took. Now, I do not have intimidating facial hair and neither am I 100 kg (I am 5.11 though). However, if it were me in SB's place, I would definitely have liked the gentleman to explain the need to argue and stood my ground, especially post me agreeing to move the vehichle.

Also, I find it quite funny that some people have appreciated the fact that "the Ikon fellow did not vandalize" SB's property (car). I hope that was intended to be in light vein.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:52   #128
BHPian

OP - Looking at the picture and how Alto is parked in front of Ikon's guys garage I think it is just fine to take out or park the car inside the garage with the available road space.

I think Ikon guy have been frustrated by other previous incidences than just one incidence of yours.

I have to make one more point here that Baleno is longer than Alto and occupies more length perpendicular to the garage's drive way. This makes it more difficult to maneuver the lengthier Sedan such as City.

I have been in your situation many times and was also in Ikon guys situation in other times.

I used to park my i10 along side my house parallel to the curb which is exactly opposite to gate of opposite house. That guy used to complain to me that he can't take out his sedan with out touching my vehicle. One day I challenged him that I'll take his vehicle out since there is enough space on the road thinking that he doesn't know how to negotiate.

He tossed the keys to me asking me to take out the vehicle. When I started to reverse his vehicle then I realized the actual problem. His gate is so narrow that I couldn't turn the vehicle to either side until I clear the gate on the front of his car. By that time I was almost nearing my car on the rear. I was sweating in the cold morning when I finally managed to take out his car with out touching my vehicle.
Basically, its neither my fault nor his fault by rules/laws but the situation was different in this case. I agreed to his point and started parking my car little away from his gate. Eventually, he also widened his gate to resolve the issue permanently. Lessons learned

Anyway, I'm surprised that support is pouring in for OP when both of them are not doing anything illegal but they only needed cooperation from OP and little politeness and patience from the ikon guy.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
You were the one who pointed out 3 issues Ikoneer would have to face while getting his car in ie. 1)narrow garage, 2)gates opening outside and 3)slope to his garage. All 3 are the result of decisions made by him - not by outsiders. And if these 3 issues are what is preventing him from getting his car in, on a road that is wide enough, then instead of raking up an issue with everyone, he needs to see how he can rectify this.
SB - Going by your own point, don't you agree that your friend'd apt builders also violated the by laws by buidling an apt in such narrow lane with out providing any space visitors. How can ikon guy plan his garage for someone's rule violation?

secondly if you look at my post above I could have argued in a similar way like you are saying but I'll only be ignorant to the problem.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:45   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk
While the lanes getting painted is a good sign, who will educate the people who use them? People don't even stop on RED.
Not stopping on RED is not due to lack of education - everyone knows they need to stop. Lack of enforcement could be one reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
@SB: Been there, done that. Tried reasoning patiently in the first instance (like you did). Didn't work. Since then , I just ignore the person and carry on. One thing though, I check the car for any signs of vandalism when I return.
True. But it is kind of difficult for me to ignore a threat of damage to the car. So if there is a threat implied, I would not be able to ignore that and go about my business, because once they do something, it will lead to a worser situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk
I am actually interested in reading your opinion on the below scenario I mentioned in my earlier post?
If there was a footpath, then parking on it is wrong and the parker is to blame. There was no footpath here and neither was the edge of the road walkable (it was littered with rubbish) + it had plants overgrown onto the road making walking impossible (you can see the plants in one snap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan
Looking at the picture and how Alto is parked in front of Ikon's guys garage I think it is just fine to take out or park the car inside the garage with the available road space. I have to make one more point here that Baleno is longer than Alto and occupies more length perpendicular to the garage's drive way. This makes it more difficult to maneuver the lengthier Sedan such as City.
I agree with Baleno taking more space length-wise, but it also was parked closer to the gates than the Alto.

Quote:
SB - Going by your own point, don't you agree that your friend'd apt builders also violated the by laws by buidling an apt in such narrow lane with out providing any space visitors. How can ikon guy plan his garage for someone's rule violation?
I dont have much of an idea about building-rules and I also dont have any idea about how the Ikon guy drives. I never mentioned either of these as mistakes on his part.

Someone pointed out 3 issues he could be having and since all 3 were in his control, I said that I dont see how he can blame others for bad-design of his garage. To me, it looked like he was just making an issue where none existed - because he himself told me that he could get the car in, but still wants me to move my car. And to be frank, if he had said that he finds it difficult to get the car in, I would have gladly moved my car. But he was insisting I was wrong, how he would damage my car and about calling cops, which made me stick to my stand that was right by rules.

Quote:
secondly if you look at my post above I could have argued in a similar way like you are saying but I'll only be ignorant to the problem.
You did argue with the guy in a similar way, right ? And only when you found it tough to get his car out, did you agree with his viewpoint and decide to park your car away.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
You did argue with the guy in a similar way, right ? And only when you found it tough to get his car out, did you agree with his viewpoint and decide to park your car away.

No, I didn't. read my post once again. After figuring out that his gate is narrow I din't ask him rectify his gate as that is his own property and I don't have any rights to do so.

In all fairness, you should have moved your car immediately. Probably your ego (coupled with his ego) stopped you from doing so.

You can say the same thing to me but as I said I really wanted to see the actual problem and I co-operated with him and accepted his point after seeing the problem myself. I could have still argued with our neighbor like you did without movnig my car as well, as I didn't do anything illegal.
In your case you were as arrogant/ignorant as Ikon guy and still the support is pouring in just because poor Ikon guy is not a memeber here

You were able to shut other mouths who tried differ with your views.
Old 6th April 2011, 01:44   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I believe bblost was talking about the very same man. If you follow him, show it in your actions.
And I don't need anyone's "help" to read this thread". You do.
The space in front of your site is NOT your property, and unless and until a vehicle parked in front of your house is blocking your gate, I'd mind if you deflate it's tyres or whatever.

And please do tell us (or at least me via PM) which area in Bangalore you stay in? It would be beneficial for Bangalore Team-BHPians, so that just in case I come back to my car only to see the tyres deflated, I will know who did it.
@Arkin evoiservo: Gentle man, no offence, but you seriouly need help. bblost was referring to Mahatma Gandhi (The symbol of non-voilence).

You are still ready to get ur tyres deflated but refuse to park in place that will not cause inconvenience to others.... There is no point in reasoning out with people who refuse to change. Not only preachings of Gandhi and Sardar patel, I am sure even God can't help you.
Old 6th April 2011, 02:03   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
This thread sure has it all. BHP-ians advising others to be calm and courteous towards your fellow man and then calling every other person on the forum "ignorant". Maybe show a little courtesy towards fellow members too, wot say?

We also have a 5.11, 100 kg gentleman with (apparently) intimidating facial hair, who believes he is a ....... ahem........ Boy. :-)

I agree with the stand SB took. Now, I do not have intimidating facial hair and neither am I 100 kg (I am 5.11 though). However, if it were me in SB's place, I would definitely have liked the gentleman to explain the need to argue and stood my ground, especially post me agreeing to move the vehichle.

Also, I find it quite fuunny that some people have appreciated the fact that "the Ikon fellow did not vandalize" SB's property (car). I hope that was intended to be in light vein.
Guess some people dont have a taste for humor. I have clearly mentioned that it is in lighter vein and even then some are offended and want to preach

The "Urban" folks believe that they are civilized, yet don't seem to have knowledge in social courtesy.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
@Arkin evoiservo: Gentle man, no offence, but you seriouly need help. bblost was referring to Mahatma Gandhi (The symbol of non-voilence).

You are still ready to get ur tyres deflated but refuse to park in place that will not cause inconvenience to others.... There is no point in reasoning out with people who refuse to change. Not only preachings of Gandhi and Sardar patel, I am sure even God can't help you.
Go through the forum, and you will know my road manners.
Many a time, I've forced my family to drive back home just because there was no parking space in Indiranagar 80ft. road, while the footpaths were half empty; the other half with cars parked on them. And could you please point out where I've said "I refuse to park in place that will not cause inconvenience to others"??
I've forced my dad to park nearly a Km away from a restaurant in crowded Jayanagar, just becuase all the streets were full of parked cars, and where there was plenty of space to park, there was a no parking sign.
I find it frustrating that so many people jump to conclusions on online forums so fast. Yes, There is no point in reasoning out with people who refuse to change.

About the statement in bold, I consider it as an irrational personal attack, which I'm reporting.

EDIT: In fact, I consider this statement too as a personal attack on a fellow member;
Quote:
The "Urban" folks believe that they are civilized, yet don't seem to have knowledge in social courtesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is blowing out of, quite a few, proportions.

Most of stuff that is coming in now has already been discussed in the preceding many pages.
Dont rake it up over and over, and stop taking potshots by pointing out mistakes.
A guy will accept his mistake once, maybe twice for the same incident, but repeatedly asking someone to acknowledge it is unfair.
Lets not do that.
live and let live, i say....
+1 I think it's time the mods lock this thread.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 6th April 2011 at 11:42.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:32   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

This is blowing out of, quite a few, proportions.

Most of stuff that is coming in now has already been discussed in the preceding many pages.
Dont rake it up over and over, and stop taking potshots by pointing out mistakes.
A guy will accept his mistake once, maybe twice for the same incident, but repeatedly asking someone to acknowledge it is unfair.
Lets not do that.
live and let live, i say....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks