Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 12:46   #106
BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
@markmytravel;2297587 :

I don't know if the Ikon guy is reading all this, If you are (and others in the forum like him and me ), I want to end my arguments with this sincere advice : Compatriot, action speaks louder than words. Deflate the tyres and you find no one parking there again. I am sure its not a sin or a crime.

Ciao....
I caught one guy red-handed who used to ruin two wheeler's seat cover whenever I used park nearby his house (of course it was not a NO Parking Zone and no obstructions caused to anybody. The thing is he didn’t like seeing bikes parked there) what am I supposed to do here. Stab him so that he doesn’t do it next time? I am not able to understand your logic and social sense here.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
The Ikon guy sent the watchman for SB to request/ask him to remove the car. He was curteous by not doing so.....let's appreciate that.
It was indeed courteous of him to call for me via the watchman. But the point you are missing is, my parking had not blocked his way - he had more than enough way to get in - he was just throwing his weight around like he was used to with others who might have actually blocked his way.

Quote:
@supremeBaleno, I said 'if not more' - meaning both are equal.
I dont want to get into a language debate here, but 'if not more' does not mean equal. It means more than equal. When some one says "My house is as big as yours, if not more", he means that his house is equal in size or bigger.

Quote:
As I had stated earlier, he looks like anyother normal guy with a normal house. I don't see what's illegal there!!
You were the one who pointed out 3 issues Ikoneer would have to face while getting his car in ie. 1)narrow garage, 2)gates opening outside and 3)slope to his garage. All 3 are the result of decisions made by him - not by outsiders. And if these 3 issues are what is preventing him from getting his car in, on a road that is wide enough, then instead of raking up an issue with everyone, he needs to see how he can rectify this.

Quote:
Here the right question you have to ask yourself is "If I park here, will it be a nuisance to others?!!!"
Any and all parkings I do is done after asking this. And in this case, if at all my parking was a nuisance, it was not for Ikoneer living on the other side, but the 2 residents of my friend's apartment, against whose car-slot gates, I had closely parked my car. But since the watchman knows where to reach me, I can come and move my car if either of them wants to get their car out.

Quote:
again here... it was so obvious that the man in the SUV is irritated with the toll guy and is honking, why did your frnds take an offence and flip the bird at it?
That incident was quoted to show how sometimes a simple thing can irritate people, not to support my friends. If incessant honking for no reason does not irritate a person (like it does most people), then he must either be a saint or plain-deaf.

Quote:
Likewise, the Ikon guy was only cursing the visitors who dont park the car properly, but you are the man, convinced that you have parked it right!!! then why take an offence and refuse to remove the car just because of his statement?!! Guilty concious?
He said "All visitors park wrongly like this", which means he is saying I parked wrongly. So, he was not cursing the visitors, but including me with them.

Quote:
But here the case is entirely different. The debate is - "is it not my right to 'park properly' on a public road??. If anybody is annoyed, let him first prove his driving skills and then prove that he has not flaunted any building by-laws and then I 'may' move my car, or better he alter his structure of the house"
He needs to do nothing - just understand to differentiate between good and bad parking, instead of fighting with everyone who parks within 100ms of his home, as if the whole colony belongs to him, including the roads.

And if you/Archish feel that I cannot think from his position, then you are wrong, because this situation is the same in most places of Chennai. Given below is the road in front of my flat in Chennai, which is more or less the same width as the road in dispute, just that we have maintained the pavement better than residents of my friend's complex.
I believe I parked on the street within rules. But a neighbour differs. Who is right?-dsc00151.jpg

We have 7 parking slots in the front with individual gates for each car, with the white M800 being at extreme end and the slot to the left of the WagonR being the 1st one (not used currently). If you zoom in, you can see an Alto parked behind the Waggy, which is my slot (pic taken on a day when I had brought my friend's Alto). Like mmxylorider, while others park their cars perpendicular to the road, I have to park parallel to the road since the slot is not long enough for my car. Which means I have to reverse my way in for easy parking.

On the right side of the road, there are usually 3 cars parked always, especially at night (1 more car before the covered Waggy). Plus, to the right of the bikers is a bike-mechanic shop with all his bikes parked under the tree. Since I have to drive out in the direction of the bikers, this means quite some negotiation to avoid the cars/bikes parked there. While it is an inconvenience, I don't bother about that and go my way - this situation is akin to Ikoneer.

Now, the apartment complex opposite our flat has no parking for visitors and when there are already 3 cars parked on their side of the road, they come and park alongside our gates. This is an obstruction, like the Waggy and bike you see in pic. Sometimes they have drivers in the cars and our watchman ignores this since they can move the car if required. But there are others who park and vanish for sometime, which could be a problem if they are blocking the gate of someone who wants to go out. By your logic of Ikoneer deflating tyres of cars parked on opposite side of the road, in this case where cars are parked on our side blocking our gate, I guess we should be vandalising those cars - we don't.

Quote:
Compatriot, action speaks louder than words. Deflate the tyres and you find no one parking there again. I am sure its not a sin or a crime.
Deflating or such action is warranted when someone blocks your way - eg. a car bang in front of his gate. Using this without reason for cars parked away & on other side of the road can lead to bad consequences - I have an inflator in my car, and would be least bothered about deflation. But others might not and the consequences could be dirty.

BTW, when reading a part of your post written in lighter vein, I was reminded of the quote "What matters in a fight is the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight".
Old 1st April 2011, 18:48   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
And so is parking there again next time, with a spare flash charged at 300V and leaked on rims.

That guy would never touch any tire with intentions of deflation ever again in life

This would not be lethal or harmful, so should not be a sin or crime.
@NetfreakBombay;2299024 : thats an innovative idea But I don't intend to deflate the tyres thru the nozzels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
I caught one guy red-handed who used to ruin two wheeler's seat cover whenever I used park nearby his house (of course it was not a NO Parking Zone and no obstructions caused to anybody. The thing is he didn’t like seeing bikes parked there) what am I supposed to do here. Stab him so that he doesn’t do it next time? I am not able to understand your logic and social sense here.

@Vimo : I don't know the reason for that guys action and I don't speak for him. Like you, even I wonder about people's social sense when they give a damn about the residents sentiment and talk about rules.

In this debate, imagine the Ikon guys situation where he has to come out, explain about a ill person in his house who needs medical attention and ask them to park properly/remove their car to every stranger who parks his car in front of his house. Come on yaar.... who needs lessons about social sense here ?? the ikon guy are the strangers/visitors?

If we have gone to visit someone and if a neighbour is objecting to the way/place we have parked, my social sense says that I have to just remove my car with an apology and a smile. Thats all .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Deflating or such action is warranted when someone blocks your way - eg. a car bang in front of his gate. Using this without reason for cars parked away & on other side of the road can lead to bad consequences - I have an inflator in my car, and would be least bothered about deflation. But others might not and the consequences could be dirty.

BTW, when reading a part of your post written in lighter vein, I was reminded of the quote "What matters in a fight is the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight".

@supremeBaleno;2299421 : I don't want to get into the application of deflating 'laws'. I am just speculating what that guy could have done and make things nastier.

If you are offended about my lighter vein, just to make it clear, I don't intend to throw my weight when i ask them to remove the car. As I have replied to Vimo, if I was you i would have removed my car without much fuss....

As of the 'size of the dog' is concerned, just imagine the SUV guy from your friend's incident asking you to remove the car....I am sure the last thing in your mind would be the quote about - "size of the fight and the size of the dog "
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
Drop it here and next time you visit your friend's place and happen to see the ikon guy, Just say sorry for the incident and who know's even he would say sorry.

@rvmohankumar;2298583 : Now you are expecting too much from the righteous, courteous, socially conscious, law abiding, expert drivers.

Last edited by bblost : 1st April 2011 at 21:23. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post. Please refer forum rules. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2011, 18:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The replies to the thread are utterly ignorant one's. A road is "NOT" a free for all parking area.

The OP should have parked inside the compound or some other place where it does not hinder anybody else.

The IKON guy was right in creating a scene. I come across this upteem times on the road.

Park in a assigned parking spot don't park wherever is convenient to you.

I know its hard to digest this here in India. But as we all know Ignorance is bliss for us Indians. We need boards and rules to drill it into us.

And more surprising is the fact that this happens to be on the most viewed automotive forum in India.
Spitfire, go get a life. Nobody intentionally parks his car on the side of the road where it might easily get scratched or even nicked. We only do it due to lack of parking space.

And supreme baleno I think the Ikon guy is really nuts. I mean really some sort of mental case. From your picture I can see that its possible to turn a small truck in that space. Nobody in their right mind would ask you to move your car with that much space available. I suggest you stay away from this nutcase. He might just be looking for a chance to smother somebody.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:23   #110
BHPian

Actually, this is a story of every frustrated indian who comes back from his office after working like a mule, having problems at job & his place, i guess he just took it out on you dear.
You did the right thing and i do not blame anyone for this, its a routine story, when i go for work in the morning i see frustrated faces standing at red lights, cribbing about life and wishing to have a clash with anyone in the vicinity.I believe its high time that we should try to avoid a situaton as far as possible and value each other and share smiles rather than abusing words. I was a different person earlier, i think this thinking came with age. You were right brother, its just the situation. Good luck.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
imagine the Ikon guys situation where he has to come out, explain about a ill person in his house who needs medical attention and ask them to park properly
The problem here is the car is already parked properly, which you somehow don't seem to get inspite of the snaps showing the width of the road and how the car was parked.

If you still think my parking was inconveniencing to the guy, then the apartments adjacent to Ikoneer who also have their gate facing the same road should also have an issue getting their cars in/out because except for this 1 instance, I always parked opposite that apartment. But they have been able to get their cars in/out without any issues even once. Does this not atleast give you an indication that Ikoneer is not actually facing any issue, but is just making a big fuss over nothing?

Quote:
If we have gone to visit someone and if a neighbour is objecting to the way/place we have parked, my social sense says that I have to just remove my car with an apology and a smile. Thats all .....
Remove your car and ? Drive back home I suppose ? Given that the whole locality is residential and consists of streets like this where each resident can (by your logic) not only make a claim to the road adjacent to his home/gate, but also to the road on the opposite side of the road ? Let me tell you, you will never be able to visit someone in a car in Chennai if you think Ikoneer is right in his belief.

Quote:
I am just speculating what that guy could have done and make things nastier.
The problem is you never know what the other guy is capable of to make things worse. The SUV story was to illustrate this.

Quote:
just imagine the SUV guy from your friend's incident asking you to remove the car....I am sure the last thing in your mind would be the quote about - "size of the fight and the size of the dog
Well, probably my friend did not have the fight in him - so the quote is still relevant. And anyway you were the one who brought up the pounds and inches connection, which was why the quote applied.
Old 1st April 2011, 20:23   #112

Well my dear friend, I certainly believe that you were right in your parking. Tell that guy to take a chill pill and relax!
Old 1st April 2011, 21:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
he could have always deflated the tyres to show his anger. He was curteous by not doing so.....let's appreciate that. And for the second part of the argument about enchroachment, from the pic, he is just a normal guy with a house and see no encroachment. Let's not make a demon of him.
I find it strange that you laud him, for not doing something illegal. In the same way, I can laud any xyz person for not murdering Mr abc for no reason. Had he deflated SB's tyres, he would, for sure, have to face the consequences.
Quote:
I request them to remove and most of them oblige without a fuss (on a lighter note : I am 5.11, 100 Kgs with a handle bar mustache, do they have a choice?!! )
Remember, the law is above all.
Quote:
On a serious note, sometimes people give me the funda of 5 mins...10 mins, then I leave the car in such a way that none of the customers will be able to remove their vechiles including the guy's who refused to move and walk home, everyone from the shop owner to the customer come running behind me requesting me to move now
Please elaborate.
Quote:
@supremeBaleno;2297929 :
As I had stated earlier, he looks like anyother normal guy with a normal house. I don't see what's illegal there!! Now, if you want to scrutinize the building plans and check the rule flauntings, you have to start with your friends apartment, who have not cared to provide visitors parking area. I would hold them directly responsible for strangers/visitors creating a nuisance in the neighborhood.
Here the right question you have to ask yourself is "If I park here, will it be a nuisance to others?!!!", (Which I am sure your friends Apartment builders/association have never thought and never will!!!)
Scrutinizing starts with the simplest of things, and which will involve solving the problem, rather than cribbing about what can't be done. Period.

Quote:

@supremeBaleno;2298034 : again here... it was so obvious that the man in the SUV is irritated with the toll guy and is honking, why did your frnds take an offence and flip the bird at it?

Likewise, the Ikon guy was only cursing the visitors who dont park the car properly, but you are the man, convinced that you have parked it right!!! then why take an offence and refuse to remove the car just because of his statement?!! Guilty concious?
Why was the SUV guy honking in the first place?? Why didn't he pay the toll?
If someone mumbles at you, what do you do. (Going by what you had mentioned earlier)
[quote]

Quote:

If anybody is annoyed, let him first prove his driving skills and then prove that he has not flaunted any building by-laws and then I 'may' move my car, or better he alter his structure of the house "
How come you just told SB to do things the other way round?
Quote:
@supremeBaleno;2297929 :
As I had stated earlier, he looks like anyother normal guy with a normal house. I don't see what's illegal there!! Now, if you want to scrutinize the building plans and check the rule flauntings, you have to start with your friends apartment, who have not cared to provide visitors parking area. I would hold them directly responsible for strangers/visitors creating a nuisance in the neighborhood.
Here the right question you have to ask yourself is "If I park here, will it be a nuisance to others?!!!", (Which I am sure your friends Apartment builders/association have never thought and never will!!!)
Quote:
I don't know if the Ikon guy is reading all this, If you are (and others in the forum like him and me ), I want to end my arguments with this sincere advice : Compatriot, action speaks louder than words. Deflate the tyres and you find no one parking there again. I am sure its not a sin or a crime.
I am at a loss of words. I'm sure everyone who just read read the last 2 sentences are too. What you have said is really unethical.
@The Ikon guy if you are reading this: "Deflate the tyres and you find yourself in deep trouble. You can't get away after doing such things.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 1st April 2011 at 21:21.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:29   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I request them to remove and most of them oblige without a fuss (on a lighter note : I am 5.11, 100 Kgs with a handle bar mustache, do they have a choice?!! )
So exactly what do you do when the other person turns out to be 6 feet and 102 kgs or larger.

I find such statements very funny. Considering that the strongest man I know was a very thin and almost frail looking lawyer from Gujarat.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:00   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think the whole incident is being blown out of proportion by going into the rules and laws.
Well said, dude! This is the best way to survive nowadays. Very practical, IMO.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd April 2011 at 14:45. Reason: Please do not quote entire posts. Thanks!
Old 1st April 2011, 22:38   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay
And I would suggest to all my friends not to dare a stranger into damaging their cars.

Agree. Though I dared him & put on a brave face, inside I was worried. See, the whole reason why I always park as away from the road as possible is so that the chances of a passing vehicle grazing my car is as minimal as possible. The fact that this makes life easier for other road-users is just a side-effect.
dear SB, not everyone accepts!

Quote:
He and another friend are in their car at the Perungudi toll. Due to a snag in the toll m/c, the operator is taking more than normal time to give the receipt. An impatient SUV driver behind them is honking, which irritates them. They ignore him. He honks again. Again they ignore. He continues honking. Finally when they get the toll-ticket, they move on, but only after showing their irritation by flipping the bird at him. Now the SUV guy is pissed off and comes after them without even paying the toll and getting his car out just before the toll gates could come down. He makes them stop the car, comes to their window and just says "Kolai panniduven" (I will kill you) in a menacing way. Given his menacing looks and because the guy has 2 others with him in the car, my friends don't utter a word. And move on.
Since this topic is about 'rules', the above is a perfect example, "Kolai panniduven" (I will kill you) is an offense AFAIK. But, where and what is one going to prove in court? There are so many rules, in such a country as ours most of them are just written rules. end of the day, our responsibilities and the lives of our dear ones and ourselves is what matters most.

(Hmmm a bird in tamil is a kuruvi, in all my years in TN, all parts of it, never seen anyone show a 'kuruvi' to someone. I suppose this is some new breed of IT developer working on some secret OS/prog language etc. in Tamil ? )

Yes, it is very stressful and we all loose our cool at times, some more often than others, they stay more healthier since they download their anger onto others. In normal situations I would say it just takes a little practice, once we identify we are about to blow our top or we just did is the key. we can all take evasive actions from then on.

yes I do loose it too, but its rare and a lot of things have to be working against me.

There are some good books on the same
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
While roads are indeed for movement of traffic, it is not true that you cannot park on roads at all. Some links posted in the earlier pages make this clear and the fact that legal road-side parkings exist not just in India but other countries too, corroborate this.
I believe, I have pretty much elaborated on my point in my previous post itself.

Do you think the government needs to plan the roads considering it to be used as parking? If they have to do that, then it is a never ending job - that too with the rate at which number of new vehicles are being added onto the roads everyday. Parking on the roadside is just an additional benefit.

The rules or guidelines which say how to park on the roadside are there so that people just do not park the way they wish. People (like the builder of the apartment you visited) misuse this flaw in the law and do not provide any parking for the visitors. Many construct their houses without a carpark taking it for granted that they will park their car on the road.

I am actually interested in reading your opinion on the below scenario I mentioned in my earlier post?

Quote:
I have seen so many verhicles being parked on the footpath. This results in people walking on the the roads and there are times when moving vehicles brush the pedastrian. Now who should be blamed - the driver who was driving his vehicle on the road OR the person walking on the side of the road OR the person who parked his vehicle on the footpath?

Quote:
What is missing here is the authorities identifying roads where you can park, paint parking-lines there and for those streets where you can't park, install NoParking boards. But this is the ideal scenario and when our roads don't even have medians or footpaths or even painted-lanes, what to say about parking-lines ? I think we will get there too. Reason being I see driving-lanes being painted on not only most Chennai roads, but even the small road in my town at Kerala - the first time in my life when I saw lane painted on that road. A good sign IMO for better things in the future.
While the lanes getting painted is a good sign, who will educate the people who use them? People don't even stop on RED.

Quote:
@rvmohankumar, this is not a rant against the Ikon-guy. I don't know about you, but I am sure quite some information and different view-points were shared on this thread by many, which might help others.
I too believe that we should use this thread as not bashing either the Ikon-guy or anyone. But, just share our different view points and we as auto enthusiasts take the initiative of making the roads a better place to drive.
Old 2nd April 2011, 04:34   #118
BHPian

Quote:
It was indeed courteous of him to call for me via the watchman. But the point you are missing is, my parking had not blocked his way - he had more than enough way to get in - he was just throwing his weight around like he was used to with others who might have actually blocked his way.
Looking at the photographs, having lived in Delhi, Mumbai and now in Chennai I find no fault at the way you had parked. It was least bothering to anyone.I find nothing courteous about this man who sent te watch man to you as the car was not blocking his way at all, he was trying to make an issue with a neighbour's guest when there was no issue and there is more than enough space to get in / out an Ikon . It is more of a show of arrogance and self righteous attitude. I think in the whole episode your friend is also at fault since he failed to stand by you. Probably he decided not to spoil the mood and the good time/chat you both were having by arguing with a known nut case of the neibhourhood!
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Something that may help is to have a card in your car with your cell phone number written on it. Occasionally when I park in such a way that I feel may be restricting space. I put this card near my windshield with instructions to call me if it is required to move my car. I rather move my car than have it banged up. Measure the space needed not by your driving skill but the low skill level of an average driver in these parts of the world. Display the card with caution though - privacy concerns and all.
Shibu.
Sorry this thread has gotten so many replies that i was not able to keep up. But while reading through from where i left off. I quite liked this idea. If such a situation occurs would definately apply this method. Thanks for the tip.
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:42   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Sorry this thread has gotten so many replies that i was not able to keep up. But while reading through from where i left off. I quite liked this idea. If such a situation occurs would definately apply this method. Thanks for the tip.
@Shibujp : This is really a good tip. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
I believe, I have pretty much elaborated on my point in my previous post itself.

I am actually interested in reading your opinion on the below scenario I mentioned in my earlier post?
@SB : Going by drsk's point, you seemed to have parked 'properly' in a place ment for pedistreans to walk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
So exactly what do you do when the other person turns out to be 6 feet and 102 kgs or larger.

I find such statements very funny. Considering that the strongest man I know was a very thin and almost frail looking lawyer from Gujarat.
@bblost : I don't want to take lessons on sense of humor. If you did'nt get that, I can't help.

I draw my inspiration from an other lawyer from Gujarat - Sardar patel.

@Arkin evoisrevo : my reply to you is same as I have given bblost. Read the whole thread with someone's help if you don't understand my point. I am sure you are totally lost.

@All - From this thread I have learnt, one more way of ensuring we don't cause incovenience to other, Thanks to Shibuj.

We can only take the horse to the water, its upto the horse to drink or not.

Singning off fromt he thread....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks