Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2023, 12:23   #2206
BHPian

Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
That's on a different path.

Let me explain pictorially what I meant. I need a curvy triangle marked in yellow to prevent straight traffic towards Warje from left most side of bypass highway, this section next to Zinnea opened up few weeks back. Paths marked in green are welcome and correct, Path marked in red is currently allowed and it's incorrect and can be prevented by triangle marked in yellow.

Attachment 2474103

Pardon my not-to-scale drawing skills.
Thanks for the picture! The path marked by red arrow is blocked by barricades whenever I saw it. The green arrow turning left from the flyover is currently the only way to go to Bavdhan from Mulshi. It would be replaced by the new bridge once it is ready. Then I expect this left turn to be closed permanently.
The red arrow is the future exit towards Kothrud,

The yellow triangle you have shown can at best be temporary.
Old 12th August 2023, 12:41   #2207
BHPian

It's finally fully opening today!

https://www.punenow.com/pune-finally...-on-august-12/

I hope it doesn't make life around Warje hell.

They should really do a survey on how much time is actually saved using this monstrosity when coming from Expressway exit and reaching Katraj Tunnel and the other way around. This route could really use some scientific processes for traffic management.
antz.bin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 11:54   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

They should really do a survey on how much time is actually saved using this monstrosity when coming from Expressway exit and reaching Katraj Tunnel and the other way around. This route could really use some scientific processes for traffic management.
Monstrosity? Let's not give it a negative connotation please. Residents were long asking for something to be done here where several arterial roads cross. Now that NHAI has implemented a comprehensive grade-separated interchange, let us be positive about it and see how it pans out in the coming months. I'm sure it'll serve maximal residents well.

I hope they build some pedestrian skywalks too, enabling easy pedestrian movement in maximal directions, with sufficient signages in Marathi and English. Being a simple, straightforward thing, that falls fair and square on PMCs shoulders. I hope they do it quickly and nicely.
vharihar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 19:07   #2209
BHPian

Quote:

Serious objection to "monstrosity". Everyone goes ga-ga about the complex cloverleaf interchanges in US, and when we are trying to get one, it is a monstrosity??

It is not too far ago (~3 years) when this junction was clogged with vehicles going in all different directions, and 30 min was average time spent crossing it. Asking for a detailed survey is one thing, but spreading negative impressions about it is another.
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 19:23   #2210
BHPian

Apologies for the incorrect usage of the word monstrosity before I even used it.

I ended up crossing the junction in 4th gear yesterday morning so it has worked decongest that spot.

The only reason I called it that was probably some residual resentment due to the issues faced during the construction period. I have seen images of the plan but it seemed too complicated, a feeling compounded by the routes that were opened when it was partially opened and how complicated they were. That's probably the reason for my scepticism but I would like to take that word back for now.

It seems that it has been built with needs of traffic 50 years in the future so that's definitely a good thing. l also hope they built it with future Metro expansion in mind or else that word will come back to haunt us all, all over again.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 12:35   #2211
BHPian

Chandni Chowk interchange in Pune inaugurated this week, built by NHAI (ie. central govt), very nice. Upto late-80's, it was a desolate spot, like some scene from a Hollywood western movie. Amazing transformation!
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img20230815wa0014.jpg  

Last edited by vharihar : 15th August 2023 at 12:37.
Old 26th August 2023, 06:45   #2212
BHPian

I don't know if this is just for me or if others have felt this as well.

I am referring to:
1. Chandani Chowk flyover
2. Adaptive Traffic Management System (ATMS) that was implemented recently.

I don't commute everyday but these 2 recent developments to the Pune Traffic system have definitely had a positive effect on average speeds I manage now vs earlier.

Not tried this in peak hours but crossing Chandani chowk has been a breeze in the few times that I did cross it. Even Warje traffic situation seems to have improved but can't confirm on that one since I categorically avoid crossing this in peak hours.

Also, the traffic signals seem to have synced up and I am constantly getting a green light one after the other after the other. The first time I saw it happen was when I was going from Nanded City to Nashik Phata via Wakad and happened to get a red light only twice along the way. I thought I got lucky but I have never been this lucky all my life. But since this happened on a Sunday morning between 8-9 AM, we could attribute this to the weekend effect.

But then I saw it happen again a couple of times when I went from Nanded City to Sarasbaug and back and stopped at a red light on just 3/4 out of a total of 20 traffic lights along the way. The return journey was almost at 6:30 PM on a weekday and even though the traffic volume was as high as it always is, I wasn't stopping as much.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 08:35   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if this is just for me or if others have felt this as well.

I am referring to:
1. Chandani Chowk flyover
2. Adaptive Traffic Management System (ATMS) that was implemented recently.
I concur about the Chandni chowk part. In the good old days, it usually took me an hour to cover 21 kms from Phase 1 to Kothrud Stand on my bike, with a 5 pm start. The later I started, the more time it took.

But now, I reach home in 45 mins. Sometimes the traffic is slow moving as you near Chandni chowk, but there is rarely a jam, which makes all the difference. So, definitely a big improvement. In the morning, it's not much of a difference as I anyway start early for office and reach Phase 1 in 25-30 mins.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th August 2023 at 08:46.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:09   #2214
BHPian

I used the Chandni Chowk flyover twice in last 1 week. It was a mess both of the times. First encounter was on Friday around 9 am and second was today(Sunday around 1 pm). All the other lanes which merge onto highway are empty with highway choked up from both directions. Not sure what was inaugurated and what’s improvement.

Below is a small clip I captured today and a pic .

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-bb9436f0934245418845287604eae8be.jpeg
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:08   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Traffic diversions today due to Dahi Handi:

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...curbs-8928487/
Old 9th September 2023, 16:38   #2216
BHPian

Last night on Ashoka Marg (Richardson road) in Pune Cantt, this traffic junction was jammed for > 1 hr last night. 1 solitary policeman finally deigned to show up and thrashed about for 15 minutes with no effect. Finally some good Samaritans jumped in, physically blocked vehicles from jumping in and slowly got traffic going.
Traffic was extra heavy, but our Indian tendencies to
1. Jump red lights
2. Driving on the wrong side of road (all size of vehicles)
made the situation FAR WORSE that it had to be.

The day we go beyond thinking of just our own short term convenience and actually start giving a damn about society around us is the day things will start to change in the right direction.
</end of rant>
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_2179.jpeg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_2175.jpeg  

Old 10th September 2023, 06:46   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
The day we go beyond thinking of just our own short term convenience and actually start giving a damn about society around us is the day things will start to change in the right direction.
</end of rant>
The issue here is, people have forgot being courteous. I need to go first, the rest be dammed. Over the years it has become bad, and I am very sure over the period of time it’s going to be worst.
Old 18th September 2023, 09:43   #2218
Senior - BHPian

The stretch from Santosh Hall on Sinhagad road till Goel Ganga complex is in total mess due to ongoing flyover work. The roads are broken and narrow, there is no footpath for people to walk. Due to rains there was water logging making it even difficult to cross the stretch. Add to that the Goel ganga signal is totally messed up with no traffic person to control. Its a free for all of traffic movement and takes almost 15 mins on avg to cross the signal. Sinhagad road is the most mismanaged road in my opinion.
Old 18th September 2023, 10:24   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Population in pune has grown so rapidly, that infra is playing catch-up and always lagging behind. I am staying in PCMC since 2011, and the transformation in PCMC areas has been massive.

Traffic is a real issue and road infra is not in the best condition everywhere. Wakad, Pimple Saudagar, Konkane chowk are always choc a bloc esp on weekends. The Mall of Millenium Phoenix ( Wakad ) has created its own mess on the road leading to it.

The less said about hinjewadi the better
This is the situation when not everyone is going to office!
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 17:13   #2220
BHPian

I had an off yesterday so decided to go on a joyride on the Pune Metro Line #2.

Went from Nal Stop to Pune Station and back. There is good arrangement for parking for both 2 and 4 wheelers below Nal Stop station(free and covered).

The way back home was actually the reason why this post exists.

So guys, I think I set a new record yesterday. It took me 80 minutes to cover the distance of roughly 10km from Nal Stop metro station to Nanded City. An average speed of about 8kmph. On a bike that does 0-100 in 6.5 seconds . The only other occasion it took me more time to cover this distance, roads below Vadgaon and Warje bridge were under 6 feet of water.

I had faced similar but less dense traffic about 2 weeks back when I was taking the bike home from the showroom for the first time. I work from home and don't go into the city during rush hours so these jams were a bit of a shock for me. Maybe I am not used to this kind of congestion now but it wasn't this bad pre-pandemic. Yesterday's situation could be due to last minute festival shopping rush but it well and truly reminded me of Kashmir and the mad traffic jams there.

Coming back to the topic of the Metro, it was one of my most peaceful trips to Pune Station ever. As of now, in my mind, I am cooking up ways in which I will never need to take the car/bike to the station ever again.

Its unfortunate that the Shivajinagar to Swargate stretch of the metro line #1 is not opened yet but next year onwards, doing the Ganpati Darshan run via the metro is going to be a no brainer.

The city and its infra is just about to start looking much much better very soon. The traffic may be at its worst right now but in about 15-18 months, the first 3 lines will be fully functional and that should have a big impact on the traffic situation. Yes, the metro could also get congested but that is a much easier problem to solve (increase the frequency of trains from every 10 min to 5/3 minutes based on expected footfall)
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks