Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 17:30   #676
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
The easiest route to reach Goregaon would be via Godhbunder road. Traffic will be bare minimum on that route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
I second that. Once you are off the Sion-Panvel menace, it should not be a problem. You would be reaching Airoli somewhere after 9PM, so traffic might not play a spoil sport and GB road is free of traffic Most of the time. You might have to travel a little more kms and bear some extra tolls coming via that route though.
Friends, Google Maps tells me that GB road is +18km for my destination. Is it worth it?
Old 31st July 2013, 17:33   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Friends, Google Maps tells me that GB road is +18km for my destination. Is it worth it?
I am not too sure about the road conditions on JVLR. All I can say that GB road is pretty free of potholes as well as traffic. Maybe those who daily commute on that route might be of help.
BHPian Jignesh travels via JVLR daily to Malad while SDP, I believe, travels to Mulund from JVLR route. You might get more help from them.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:34   #678
BHPian

Quote:
The road is good. There are very few potholes. Unlike the other options.
I usually take this road even if I'm coming from Vashi.
(I too stay in Goregaon East)
Old 31st July 2013, 19:29   #679
BHPian

If you plan to leave Pune by 06:30 - 07:00 PM, then you hit Bombay latest by 09:30 PM. At this time, JVLR will have manageable traffic. If your destination is Goregaon (E), I think you should prefer the JVLR over GB road. you will save on fuel for 18+ KMs and also you will save on 3 Toll Plazas. one each at Mulund on EEH, one on GB Road and one at Dahisar. i.e atleast a 200 Rs saved.

I travel on JVLR daily between 08:30 and 09:00 PM and apart from the 1 KM near the exit on the WEH, the traffic is smooth flowing.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 22:31   #680
BHPian

@Dieseltuned: Thanks! I guess I will leave the decision at the run-time, checking traffic conditions on google maps..
Old 31st July 2013, 22:47   #681
BHPian

Quote:
@Dieseltuned: Thanks! I guess I will leave the decision at the run-time, checking traffic conditions on google maps..
Instead of catching palm beach road from CBD, I would suggest to take the JNPT route. Take the Kalamboli exit before e-way ends. Get on to JNPT road which joins Palm beach road. I will try to post the exact route tomorow.

E-way exit till Kharghar, CBD is a nightmare. If traffic doesnt harass you, potholes will. Its a complete mess and Friday evening will worsen it.

Guys on a different note, how safe is the route Mankhurd-EEH-Ghatkopar-Vikhroli at odd hours (1am-6am). The high slum area is worrying me.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:57   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
E-way exit till Kharghar, CBD is a nightmare. If traffic doesnt harass you, potholes will. Its a complete mess and Friday evening will worsen it.
Guys on a different note, how safe is the route Mankhurd-EEH-Ghatkopar-Vikhroli at odd hours (1am-6am). The high slum area is worrying me.
The Kalamboli road was full with potholes some days back in lot of places. Unless it is repaired, there is no point in taking that in place of Palm Beach road. Palm Beach will probably turn out to be a better & faster option.
The EEH-Ghatkopar-Vikhroli is a perfectly safe stretch. The usual precautions while driving at night time will do. Nothing special is needed.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:26   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post

Ghodbunder has it's own pain points as usual starting at the Majiwada junction. To add to this junction traffic now is the new Viva mall. All those vehicles trying to get on the main road for flyover catch-up or to get into the service road for Vansant Vihar create a daily medley at this spot now specially so at the mentioned time. Keep this also in your budget.
Yeah majiwada is a problem . I travel from Vasant Vihar thane. . Ghodbunder road has a lot of traffic even at 9 due to the amount of bridges being built there .
Old 1st August 2013, 00:33   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Yeah majiwada is a problem . I travel from Vasant Vihar thane. . Ghodbunder road has a lot of traffic even at 9 due to the amount of bridges being built there .
Earlier the Raymond's road was the best route for Vasant Vihar to avoid the GB road nightmare. That too is completely clogged now will all the residential towers coming up on that road further down. You can follow Walkubh-Kolshet-Tulsidham-Vasant Vihar now that there is a direct decent available on Saket road from Highway but that road is also clogged at GB road junction just in front of Sony showroom. Seems we will have to endure for a year more. Anybody has an idea regarding exact plans of flyovers being built at Majiwada ? there seem to be so many pillars in so many directions that I think the roads are bisecting each other in the sky rather than leading anywhere. Some places the pillars are missing where logically they should be. Complete mystery indeed.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:09   #685
BHPian

Quote:
GB Road as such will be good but getting to the entry of GB road is a nightmare in itself. And it starts near Majiwada. The traffic is chaotic most of the day and if it pours it will only worsen the situation.

For you the best bet is Pune - Kalamboli exit - JNPT Road - Ulwe - join at Palm Beach Road - head towards Airoli on Palm Beach Road - Airoli Bridge - EEH - JVLR - WEH.

The only pain point for you in the entire route would be WEH. I haven't seen the condition of the roads lately on this stretch but I believe there are potholes galore! Rest of the route should be alright with a smattering of traffic here and there. But the roads on this stretch would be more than acceptable given the condition of roads in Mumbai during monsoons.

Friday evening is possibly the worst time to start from Pune so is Saturday morning unless you start really early say 6ish.

Happy driving!
Old 1st August 2013, 09:12   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
There was heavy traffic on Airoli bridge going towards Airoli. And this at 7:30ish this morning, it could have only gotten worse from there. Avoid it like the plague, if you can!

On a separate note, I haven't quite figured out the traffic pattern at Sakinaka junction in the evenings. I usually leave for home at around 4:30-4:45 pm (starting from Ascot Centre next to Hilton hotel near CSIA). Some days I cross the junction is less than 10 mins but somedays it takes over 30 minutes! Last evening it took me anywhere between 40-45 minutes :-(. There has to be a pattern than I haven't gotten around yet. Thoughts, if any?
The traffic pattern at Sakinaka continues to baffle me no ends! Last evening I crossed Sakinaka from my office in less than 10 minutes! I have absolutely no clue how that can be because only a day before it took me 40-45 minutes for the same stretch. Any idea?
Old 1st August 2013, 09:37   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add to this junction traffic now is the new Viva mall. All those vehicles trying to get on the main road for flyover catch-up or to get into the service road for Vansant Vihar create a daily medley at this spot now specially so at the mentioned time.
This spot has become so dangerous it is difficult to guage who will move in which direction. For eg, the vehicles coming from the service road dont have any turn indicators On but most of them intend to take the flyover and avoid going ahed till Majiwade and then turning to reach the NH3.

Y'day there was was screech of 5-6 cars just at the spot because one moron oblivious of the traffic turned maniacally toward the flyover. Missed the vehicles by a whisker or else there would have been a pile up for sure.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:59   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has an idea regarding exact plans of flyovers being built at Majiwada ? there seem to be so many pillars in so many directions that I think the roads are bisecting each other in the sky rather than leading anywhere. Some places the pillars are missing where logically they should be. Complete mystery indeed.
Maybe this animated video will help you understand it better.

youtube.com/watch?v=5TnTwrGlZ_0
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 12:06   #689
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Today morning, Western Express Highway was jammed packed once again. 12 kms jouney from Malad West to SEEPZ took 1 hour on my bike, just imagine how long it would have taken in car.

Since start of monsoons, Western Express Highway is slow moving practically everyday in morning & evenings. With no new roads planned, I really worry about the traffic situation on this stretch after 2 / 3 years.

Is this recent increase in traffic jams on WEH only my personal experience or everyone here feels the same?

I am sorry for sounding so negative, but the traffic situation in western suburbs is really going from bad to worst. Add to this the pathetic conditions of roads due to potholes.

Thanks,
Old 1st August 2013, 12:35   #690
BHPian

Quote:
....Belapur exit is under the flyover near Kokan Bhavan, right?
^^Yes! Take the exit, you will arrive at the belapur roundabout where you take a left, straight through the next traffic light, over the flyover, and turn right at the bottom of the flyover (Roads are broken here for about 100mts) after that straight all the way to Airoli.

Also, for got to mention, the stretch between Kharghar and Belapur is being concretized, which has resulted in a bottleneck, expect slow moving traffic for about a KM but once past that it is all ok!!

Most Viewed