Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 09:40   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

It give me immense pleasure to announce that the famous Milind nagar (on JVLR) pot holes are matter of history now & the entire stretch is re-laid with paver blocks.

I happened to pass though JVLR yesterday & the paver block laying work was almost complete. This one event will bring relief to all the people passing through JVLR, because since last 20 days, they used to take 30 minutes to cross 1.3 kms from SEEPZ to start of L & T Fly-over.

Let us all hope that the work done is of good quality & the paver blocks do not come off during heavy rains.

Thanks,
The jams still persist. Yesterday it took me 45 mins to reach the LnT flyover from Seepz.

They have tiled up a stretch of road but left a small stretch with pot holes before and after the tiling - leading to snarls !

Dolts !!
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 13:46   #587
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Name:  cars waiting at a signal.png
Views: 2923
Size:  644.6 KB
I want to see the scene from the above photo at the JVLR starting point on Eastern Express Highway. Adding that to my "100 things to see before I die" list!

PS: Pic source -> Internet

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2013 at 13:47.
Old 10th July 2013, 14:35   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I want to see the scene from the above photo at the JVLR starting point on Eastern Express Highway. Adding that to my "100 things to see before I die" list!
Hello SDP,

Not only at start of JVLR on Eastern Express Highway but such discipline is needed at almost every signals, junctions & start of fly-overs in Mumbai (& probably in most other cities in India).

It is a real pity to see the cars coming from side lanes & trying to push into fly-overs causing inconvenience to poor souls who are trying to obey traffic rules. Many times I have seen huge traffic build-up at junctions just because couple of motorists wanted to jump the queue & reach to their destination early.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 15:37   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to say but i dont think any of us will EVER see such a thing happening in our country. Hope is lost.
Old 12th July 2013, 09:13   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The typical case of poor quality work can be seen on the small flyover at the Kapurbavdi circle at the start of the Ghodbunder Road. In May, the road looked glistening of the freshly laid tar road. In June it was a mess with the tar & the material below it coming loose creating some big craters. A perfect receipe for the traffic jams as vehicle move at snail's pace, but now the start of the flyover has been relaid with paver blocks which still continues to be a major hazard with many of them already coming off.
Just an update on the above brdige I was referring to. In addition to the paverblocks at the start of the bridge, fresh paver blocks are laid for one lane till the centre of the bridge after which the potholes continue to torment the ride. Now there's a mad rush to access the paver block lane with vehicles trying to criss cross the lanes to do so.

Should the potholes continued to be called "pot holes" coz definitely the holes are of the size of the crater or barrel or drum or anything but the size of the pot.

I think Mumbai definitely needs one of these machines ASAP.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hard-work.html

Last edited by ghodlur : 12th July 2013 at 09:24. Reason: Added details
Old 12th July 2013, 10:37   #591
BHPian

A dumper has broken down on the railway overbridge at Thane (Eastern Express HIghway). This has caused an immense traffic jam, till Cadbury flyover when I traveled (it has extended to Majiwada now, as per Google Maps). The jam was made worse by suicide bikers and manic rickshaw drivers.

It is disgusting that a single breakdown causes such a traffic buildup in the financial capital (and surrounding areas). This particular railway overbridge is always a bottleneck, because it is 2 lanes and roads on either side are 3 lanes! What are the idiotic authorities doing? I wonder what the authorities would have thought of when they decided to make 2+2 lanes for this overbridge. I'm sure 2+2 lanes were inadequate when made. The same idiots would have planned the Eastern Freeway as well.

I got this pamphlet at the toll booth. I always believed that the toll booths are causing more loss (time, productivity, fuel, etc) than the amount they collect. Also, they are dens of corruption.
Mumbai Traffic-img_3942.jpg

Last edited by sa_kiran : 12th July 2013 at 10:46.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:48   #592
BHPian

The new roads construction at Mahavir nagar kandivali was completed around a month back.

The contractor had kept a medium sized gap between the two sides to make a divider there but it seems they completely forgot / skipped to put the divider blocks there.

Result? A gap between two sides on an already cramped road. Mind you the gap is around 3/4th foot in width and 1 foot height.
I saw a chevy Beat who's front tyre went in that gap and the bumper, wheel cap, mudflaps got damaged. The bumper actually came off from that side!

So there are high chances of bike accidents here now.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:49   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
A dumper has broken down on the railway overbridge at Thane (Eastern Express HIghway). This has caused an immense traffic jam, till Cadbury flyover when I traveled (it has extended to Majiwada now, as per Google Maps). The jam was made worse by suicide bikers and manic rickshaw drivers.

It is disgusting that a single breakdown causes such a traffic buildup in the financial capital (and surrounding areas). This particular railway overbridge is always a bottleneck, because it is 2 lanes and roads on either side are 3 lanes! What are the idiotic authorities doing? I wonder what the authorities would have thought of when they decided to make 2+2 lanes for this overbridge. I'm sure 2+2 lanes were inadequate when made. The same idiots would have planned the Eastern Freeway as well.
Man I was lucky then to cross the bridge with little traffic. I had seen that dumper stranded on the Rail over bridge but prayed somehow it will be towed away. I guess not then.

Agreed that the bridge is a big bottleneck. Atleast now its smooth, u should have seen the time when the tanker trailers used to hog the road until they were banned from entering the city beyond a certain time.
Remember the time taken to construct the ROB going to Kopri from EE highway and the major episode of the truss falling over the passing train below. Railways will think twice before giving any permission for this.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:11   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Man I was lucky then to cross the bridge with little traffic. I had seen that dumper stranded on the Rail over bridge but prayed somehow it will be towed away. I guess not then.i
Why can't the police (or others) just tow stranded vehicles? that will be much easier than managing traffic pile ups. I'm sure that the worth of that dumper is much less than the loss it has caused to thousands of people.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:28   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Sorry to say but i dont think any of us will EVER see such a thing happening in our country. Hope is lost.
Maybe a few of us TBHPians should line up one day at the junction just for the sake of SDP
BertieWoosert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:08   #596
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

One more promising life lost due to potholes in Mumbai. Jaideep K a 21 year old engineering student was killed on wednesday morning on Western Express Highway at Goregoan East.

Accoring to police his bike was hit by a speeding truck, but Jaideep's family claims that he died due to potholes at accident spot. According them, if the truck actually the bike, why is the bike unscathed? The truck driver too claims that Jaideep overtook the truck before falling down.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21029263.cms

Quote from article:
Public Works Department executive engineer B B Lohar, who inspected the accident spot, said there were no potholes and no water-logging . "The paver blocks at the spot were laid long before the mishap and every pothole is fixed by us immediately. A team of labourers has been deployed 24x7 to monitor and treat potholes on time.
Unquote.

I pass through that stretch everyday & there were huge potholes at above stretch even today morning.

Dear Mumbaikars,

Is this what Mumbai has become?
Authorities are trying to find excuse mentioning that there are no pot holes & labourers are deployed 24x7?
Are they so blind that they cannot find pot holes on Western Express Highway?
Or will we keep on loosing young lives just because of authorities lazy attitude?

Bikers in Mumbai (including myself), please be extremely careful in negotiating potholes in rains. Our lives are too precious to be lost to a bad stretch of road.

Thanks,

Last edited by Zappo : 12th July 2013 at 14:36. Reason: Information added
Old 12th July 2013, 15:12   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[center]

The single line would extend upto Thane or maybe Bhiwandi too
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 17:19   #598
BHPian

The WEH has become one hell of a highway. Today morning the jams were stretching till Saidham - Kandivali east.

It took us 2 hrs and 15 minutes from Borivali national park to Powai Hiranandani.

The reason behind this mess - POTHOLES.

Below is the list of impacted areas and I urge all drivers especially bikers to go easy.

1. Small flyover at Saidham - Kandivali east. Massive craters at the South landing of this flyover.

2. Times of India Junction flyover - Malad east. Massive crater at the starting of the flyover on the south bound arm. Football sized holes on the Tarmac above the flyover. and the irony, this is the most recent flyover to be in service. may be they built it with sand.

3. Dindoshi junction flyover - Goregaon east. Massive crater at the starting of the flyover on the south bound arm.

4. The whole stretch from Mahananda Dairy to JVLR junction below the flyover. Only 1 right most lane is fully operational,. rest all road is complete POTHOLED. ! (may be i coined a new word for the English Dictionary)

and the reason again seems to be some sleeping babu and greedy contractors.

What i have observed is this highway does not have one agency to look after it, may be the reason for this mess. All the flyovers have now been put up with flex signs that say "This flyover maintained by MSRDC".
And I have seen small tempos having board of "Maharashtra Shasan" written on it repairing the stretches of roads at ground level.

I am at my wits end to think who the hell in this city maintains this road. the so called WEH.
Is it maintained by
1. B.M.C
2. M.S.R.D.C
3. Maharashtra Govt
4. wait how could i forget....what on earth is this company M.E.P ???

God help this city
Old 12th July 2013, 17:26   #599
Senior - BHPian

At times i feel so frustrated that i feel that we citizens should form local pothole committees and get the basic material required to atleast fill up potholes temporarily in their respective areas. Govt wont do anything, what to do?

Just too very frustrating.
Old 12th July 2013, 18:25   #600
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Have been avoiding the WEH since many years now & taking the alternate Link rd upto Mega Mall & then onto Jogeshwari S.V.rd onto Andheri Subway route. But offlate there's been traffic on this route as well , maybe not as much as WEH!
Malcolm Baug to Amboli Naka on SV rd is always slow moving around 9am & then Telli Galli was terribly jammed today due to lack of discipline & then there are sea of people walking from Andheri Station to the highway to their respective offices to make matters worse!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks