Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 13:37   #1336
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The traffic build up on the flyover is so frustrating one wishes he should have taken the route below the flyover.
Thats what I guessed earlier. Even If you take the case of Dr. Ambedkar road from Dadar to Byculla or some flyovers on western express highway from Bandra to Goregaon, many motorists take the road below the flyovers to avoid the jam at the end of the flyovers, during the peak time. Excellent examples are Vakola and Andheri flyovers.
Old 27th August 2015, 11:54   #1337
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to bring up the issues with the recently inaugurated Mumbai arm of the Majiwada flyover. But there are certain issue which are glaringly noticeable pointing to bad design.
1) The rumbler strips are installed at the turn starting of the mumbai arm. Is this legal? Since I have observed many a vehicle losing the balance/handling when approaching the rumbler strips and the road takes a turn. Shouldn't the strips be installed well before the turn to warn the vehicles that there is a sharp turn coming up?
2) Should plastic speed breakers be used on the flyovers or for that matter should there be a speed breaker on the flyovers? The plastic ones are pathetic as they come off leaving the stretch open to acceleration. Other issue is the bolts installed for holding the plastic speed breakers which protrude in the absence of the bump, these can be probable puncture causes to the tyres.

I will try to get some pics to justify this discussion. Regular users of this flyover too can pitch in.

How can I bring this to the notice of the responsible authorities if the above issues are grave in nature? I have mentioned the above on the Thane traffic police website.
Old 27th August 2015, 16:47   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

How can I bring this to the notice of the responsible authorities if the above issues are grave in nature? I have mentioned the above on the Thane traffic police website.
Try social media extensively. A single post will not help, as much as repeated posts would.
I believe another BHP-ian tweeted to the CM regarding a few issues, and it was taken up by a leading newspaper.

Also, a lot of these radio stations do these campaign - maybe try getting in touch with one of them? Ex: Red FM's don't be horny campaign against honking a lot.

Lastly - would filing an RTI help?

BTW - has anyone noticed the decreasing levels of traffic obedience in Mumbai? Even in South Mumbai there are those clowns who have begun going in the wrong lane just to beat the traffic waiting at a red light. I am slowly beginning to lose my patience in dealing with them! Clearly not helping the hot-hatch v/s SUV debate going on in my mind
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 19:27   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
BTW - has anyone noticed the decreasing levels of traffic obedience in Mumbai? :
Yes agreed. Traffic obedience is going down very rapidly. Some offences which the Mumbai traffic police are turning a blind eye (reasons best known to them) to are ::

1. Bikers drivers on the footpath. See this regularly even in posh localities like Hiranandani(powai) where the resident unions are suppopsedly very strong.

2. Bikers going on the wrong side of the road, this is very rampant on JVLR near Durga nagar / Green fields society area. Even in pure residential neihboorhoods like Marol.

3. Illegal road side parking

Regards
Dieseltuned.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 20:26   #1340
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Western expressway highway is fully jammed. It took me 2 and a half hours to come from Vasai to Malad. Traffic on the other side is worse.
Even interior roads are blocked. I would suggest people to avoid travelling tonight.
It's not that the people are not following rules but the jam is due to the sheer number of vehicles on road.
Old 30th August 2015, 02:07   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Western expressway highway is fully jammed. It took me 2 and a half hours to come from Vasai to Malad. Traffic on the other side is worse.
Even interior roads are blocked. I would suggest people to avoid travelling tonight.
It's not that the people are not following rules but the jam is due to the sheer number of vehicles on road.
I haven't seen so much traffic in Mumbai ever. Both sides of the highway are totally blocked. It has been happening since past 2-3 days. I cannot figure out any particular reason behind the horrific jams. It took me 3 hrs to reach mira road from Inorbit

Saw a red Civic broken down near the Times of India fly-over around 7:30pm. It had a Team-Bhp sticker. I couldn't stop and help as I was very late for a meet
Old 30th August 2015, 08:29   #1342
Senior - BHPian

The agitation in Gujrat, the Kumbhmela at Nashik, road repairs and weekend rush for Raksha Bandhan are all responsible in some way or the other.
You think it's worse? I spent around two hours getting out of Dombivli / Kalyan - till a few months ago it was a matter of around half an hour. Today even on weekdays you will spend an hour to reach Shil phata from Dombivli.
The traffic has suddenly increased because of the housing complexes outside Dombivli are now occupied by the people. Major traffic jam near Lodha heaven at Nilje every day.
The entire traffic management is going to the dogs and I believe the time has come for strict measures on the number of vehicles on the road.
Old 30th August 2015, 09:28   #1343
BHPian

Agree. Somehow l get the feeling that the number of autos have increased manifold all of a sudden. Am i the only one with this view!
In the past week traffic has been maddening and everytime
I tend to imagine how it would have been with less autos out on the street. You see a lot the drivers without uniform too.
Has there been any census off late on the numbers operating??
Old 30th August 2015, 09:45   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The agitation in Gujrat, the Kumbhmela at Nashik, road repairs and weekend rush for Raksha Bandhan are all responsible in some way or the other.

If Rakhsha bandhan is one of the reasons. Then I can't imagine what is going to happen on Diwali. 😳
I have now started to hate travelling inside this city. One major reason for my anger is the auto rickshaws. These guys just don't know what patience is. And many times it's the customer's fault. Suddenly they realise that they have reached their destination. They will then tell the rickshaw guy to stop dead right there. The rickshaw without giving any indication then swerves to the left.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 11:42   #1345
Senior - BHPian

I agree the autos have their own problems, but I do see a huge increase in the private vehicles too, especially around my town.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:58   #1346
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Auto Rikshaw menace: I was hit by auto rickshaws 3 times in last one month with the same quick turns and cutting into the lane from no where. In two to stances they simply ran away before I could stop them. In a third instance I made the auto Rick pay for the damage to my left ORVM. It was a small amount he could pay but did not want to go him lose as he will be bit careful with the next such move.

Traffic has been real bad. It took me half an hour on WEH northbound near Vakola for less than half an hour of stretch that too late at 1130pm last Friday. No accidents just a sheer increase in the number of vehicles on the street.

Last edited by TMRT : 30th August 2015 at 12:01.
Old 30th August 2015, 16:07   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday private vehicles far outnumbered autos. You simply cannot blame only autos for the current mess. I also observed that while there was a sea of cars on WEH at Borivali, BEST buses were not full. People were travelling by cars en masse, that is the main reason for yesterday's congestion IMHO.

Constructing more roads or widening existing ones is not going to solve the problem at all. It is high time the government realizes the need for a robust and efficient public transport which should induce people to leave their cars at home. That is the only way forward. Otherwise, you will have a fully gridlocked city.
Old 30th August 2015, 16:37   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Private vehicles have increased in huge numbers, as also the heavy vehicles, especially container traffic. The heavy vehicles block the arteries for their sheer size and bulk, bad roads and breakdowns. And private vehicles then complete the debacle by driving on the wrong sides and ensuring nobody moves if they cannot.
Autos cannot mushroom so rapidly because their numbers are directly or indirectly dependent on the number of permits the government issues.
So if you think the traffic is bad today than it was a few months back, don't blame the autos.

And there are morons driving private vehicles too!
Old 30th August 2015, 17:38   #1349
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have started questioning the sanity of those who have made this city their home (and before I get bashed for this, was born and raised here for the first 21 years of my life!)
What is happening is everyone hits the road at the same time thus resulting in traffic snarls just about everywhere. One way to decongest the traffic would be to have difference timings for different offices or something of that sort. This is the only solution i can think of right now!
Those who stay close to their offices are the most fortunate people in this city!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 17:41   #1350
BHPian

Hello
Yes, the number of private vehicles have increased. No doubt and debate, the scenario being worse with the advent of the likes of Ola, Uber and all the others who operate private services. Autos are the lifeline of the city, however please do not get clouded by operations by permit. Some years back there was a drive and it was clear a good number of autos were plying without permits. Just a case of old autos being recycled. If you get what i mean. You may see quite a many wandering around on half meter.
Essentially it means we go, where we want. Coming back to the traffic situation, it's what it is due to what's discussed above and absolute indiscipline on the roads. To compound the issue, forget lane discipline, you have dividers removed in various places for vehicles to worm in, due local pressure which has gone unchecked. To sum it up,
It's not traffic management, but personal management which rules the roost.

Most Viewed