Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 10:50   #1246
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Another toll !! ....
Good 15 mins wasted on this new toll, not to forget 35 bucks that no one knows where it's going! Can someone please explain as to why there are 2 toll plazas to enter Mumbai. ......
At times, I really wonder how people travel to work everyday in such conditions. More than anything else, it's mental torture to an extreme level.
Completely agree with you mate and wanted to vent similarly, then read your post. It is not just the added toll but the added headache of massive traffic jams just before the toll gates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post

....I wasted about 20 minutes in toll traffic .....
Had a similar experience but then decided to do something really crazy. The last 2 times that I have driven towards Pune / Panvel and back, I took the longer route via Kharghar and Taloja!!

Did this not just to avoid the jams but more out of spite on paying additional Tolls. Luckily, got sparse traffic both times.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 12:39   #1247
BHPian

So are both the tolls gonna function, New Bombay and Vashi? One sided trip was already expensive at 230 bucks and now its up to 260!

I'll have to switch back to Neeta for traveling over the weekends!
Old 14th January 2015, 15:05   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
People approaching Powai from Easter Express highway, kindly take extra precaution while driving on the Kanjurmarg flyover coz the road is being re carpeted and there are no signs to tell that. One has to suddenly slow down to cross the excavated road which has lots of small potholes and chances of small stones flying around is expected. Be careful when one drives this stretch.
Now that this section is tarred and made butter smooth, the opposite flow lanes are now taken for re carpeting. Please drive carefully on this stretch. Had a near miss today when the A-star in front of me couldnt control his car unable to get the road grip and was swaying across two lanes. For a moment I thought the car is going to bang against the railings but fortunately the car speed was brought under control and he managed to cross the flyover. During this antic a lot of dust blew up making the visibility poor.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 20:13   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Just as the W-Exp Aarey flyover ends(south bound) the have placed these delineators to demarcate the right most from other lanes. I just don't get the purpose of placing these delineators here.
Thankfully they have realized that this idea is not working, and today I saw them being removed under police supervision.
tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 23:32   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
Thankfully they have realized that this idea is not working, and today I saw them being removed under police supervision.
Thank God, really. I hope they aren't doing this because it claimed some biker's life or caused an accident and are doing it because they finally realized how stupid the move was in the first place..

-Bhargav
Old 18th January 2015, 14:57   #1251
BHPian

As far as I know, the people concerned in charge of our roads and planning our roads have the easiest job. The people concerned with maintaining them have an easier job then the former mentioned.

The maintenance people, wait do we even have them, they either are only concerned getting their pockets filled or are just lazy. Today's roads have just gotten worse. In the sense I mean the concrete roads and then paths which have the paver blocks. That's a nightmare for bikers as the level is never the same.

At every junction too they have used these and there are always uneven areas.

There are some areas which have a pothole for thousands of years and are still there today. It's a joke on the government itself not on the people. It only brings shame to our country when outsiders visit. That's how I guess it will be forever.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2015 at 17:59. Reason: Typos
raycers_honda is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2015, 20:44   #1252
BHPian

I went drove to pune, and on the way out, I spent 40 minutes at the kharghar toll. On the way back, I took the panvel exit and then NH 4/4A (uran road) and was on Palm Beach Road within ten minutes. Skip the kharghar toll road and you'll be happier. Plus the surface on the uran road is by and large pretty good
Old 19th January 2015, 22:18   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I went drove to pune, and on the way out, I spent 40 minutes at the kharghar toll. On the way back, I took the panvel exit and then NH 4/4A (uran road) and was on Palm Beach Road within ten minutes. Skip the kharghar toll road and you'll be happier. Plus the surface on the uran road is by and large pretty good
What day of the week was this and what time of day ? I plan to travel from Pune to Gujarat on 22nd leaving Pune early morning. Do you think Kharghar toll would be an issue around 7.30 a.m. on a weekday?
Old 20th January 2015, 00:24   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
What day of the week was this and what time of day ? I plan to travel from Pune to Gujarat on 22nd leaving Pune early morning. Do you think Kharghar toll would be an issue around 7.30 a.m. on a weekday?
Sunil, this was on Sunday at 730 am on the way out. 7pm on the way back. I don't think you'll get too much traffic, given that it's a weekday, but keep some buffer time. The regulars on this road should be able to help.

I noticed that even on Sunday morning, there was a long queue for the tollbooth.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 16:22   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Some good news for the residents of Andheri-Versova area.

3 new flyovers are proposed to built to decongest the traffic in the Andheri-Versova area as follows at an estimated cost of 150cr:
1) Yari road to Lokhandwala junction - 210 metres
2) DP Road to Lokhandwala lake - 3590 mtrs
3) Fisheries Institute to Link Road - 500 metres

MMRDA is expected to be asked to build the flyovers.

Since I am not well aware of the area, BHPians in the vicinity can comment on the effectiveness of the proposed flyovers. As expected, there is no timeline mentioned for the same since the flyovers is still under approval stage. Environment dept is fast tracking the clearances.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/c...w/46113191.cms
Old 12th February 2015, 20:14   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Traffic-20150212_125000.jpg

This happened today in the afternoon on route to SCLR (Santacruz chembur Link Road). A bunch of workers were busy hacking down a tree branch on the side of the road. The other end of the branch was tied to another rope on the oppsite side of the road. After the last stroke felled needed to cut the branch, the rope on the other side pulled down a wire cable which in turn got entangled with the street light and managed to get bring down the light pole.

It took them a good 20 mins to make way for traffic. By that time there was a huge pile up behind and my car was amongst the first just behind the mishap. I had to drive over broken pieces of wood and had to carefully navigate between the broken branch lying on the ground and the uprooted street light.
Old 13th February 2015, 01:36   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 1339215

This happened today in the afternoon on route to SCLR (Santacruz chembur Link Road). A bunch of workers were busy hacking down a tree branch on the side of the road. The other end of the branch was tied to another rope on the oppsite side of the road. After the last stroke felled needed to cut the branch, the rope on the other side pulled down a wire cable which in turn got entangled with the street light and managed to get bring down the light pole.

It took them a good 20 mins to make way for traffic. By that time there was a huge pile up behind and my car was amongst the first just behind the mishap. I had to drive over broken pieces of wood and had to carefully navigate between the broken branch lying on the ground and the uprooted street light.

I feel sorry for the workers, it's not like, they did that on purpose. Mistakes happen, should learn to ignore and forgive. That's all i can say.
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:38   #1258
BHPian

My daily route on a motorcycle to office and back is the WEH for a good 9 kms one way after which I go southbound from Mahim.

I have two questions:

1) When southbound on WEH, just before the bottleneck for the Kherwadi flyover, there is a line of Taxi's in the first and the second lane (or b/w the two) with Taxi drivers standing at the door and reading newspapers.

2) Similarly, when taking a right from under the Bandra reclamation flyover to go northbound on WEH, where there is traffic irrespective of weekday, there is a line of rickshaws standing on a already broken extreme left hand patch which forces the rickshawallahs to come on to the second lane.

Are these areas a designated taxis/ rickshaw stands or are these one of those self created taxi/ rickshaw stands for commuters to switch from auto-rickshaws to Taxi's and vice versa because I haven't seen a single board or sign which says anything about that place being a taxi stand. I know it is a State Transport stop and there are a couple of B.E.S.T stops there and that's it.

DM99
Old 25th February 2015, 11:31   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Like announced in the papers yesterday the GB Road + Bhiwandi to Nasik arm of the Majiwade flyover has been thrown open.
Finally the 4th arm of the Kapurbawdi flyover connecting Ghodbunder Road to Eastern Express highway may see the light after seriously long delay. The flyover am may be opened for traffic by end of March 2015. This is the same arm which had witnessed a collapse of one of the pillars due to structural defects.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46351204.cms

It would be interesting to see how the MSRDC authorities have addresses the 6 identified danger spots on the flyover. Add to that absence of rumbler strips, correct signages are making the opened arms of the flyover more prone to accidents esp when heavy vehicles using the flyover is concerned.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44997628.cms

Yesterday saw a major traffic snarl at the Mulund toll. This was because of the non functioning of two toll gates due to which a makeshift toll gate was erected just immediately after the normal toll with electrical cables hanging overhead making the traverse across the stretch dangerous.
Old 10th March 2015, 15:45   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Thane RTO plans to remove rear view mirrors in Autos.

Another zombie idea in the making.

Thane City RTO is planning to do away with the rear view mirrors in the Auto rickshaws. This decision is instigated from the recent incident in Thane where two girls had jumped from a moving auto when the auto driver passed some lewd remarks about them. The girls were reported to have some serious injuries when they jumped out of the moving vehicle.

Frankly I am yet to come across a IVRM in an auto. All I know is there were only the side view mirrors which mostly were inside the auto (god knows how they were being used). Would removing the rear view mirror help stop the atrocities against female passengers? I really doubt that.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46507222.cms
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks