Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:06   #1096
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Aarey road was closed since a few trees fell on the road. As usual the BMC failed to prune them. Heavy traffic everywhere and i didnt see too may traffic police on the roads to manage the traffic flow. Where did they go now? I used to see a whole bunch of them after the signals, nestled safely under a tree or some shady place till yesterday when it was not raining.

Took me 2 hours from Goregaon Link road to Powai. Damn.
Contrary to your views below are the 2 observations today between Borivali and Powai to show that atleast "SOME" of the traffic cops were actually working ::

1. A Cop managing traffic on the Aarey flyover and helping a stalled auto rickshaw in full downpour

2. A Cop helping school kids cross the road at Milind Nagar Signal by making the motorists stop at the signal.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:09   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Contrary to your views below are the 2 observations today between Borivali and Powai to show that atleast "SOME" of the traffic cops were actually working ::

1. A Cop managing traffic on the Aarey flyover and helping a stalled auto rickshaw in full downpour

2. A Cop helping school kids cross the road at Milind Nagar Signal by making the motorists stop at the signal.
If thats the case then god bless these few sincere ones. These are the few white sheep amongst a huge herd of black ones.

I also saw a few cops on the roads but really few. As compared to their numbers on a bright sunny day, i would say 95% were gone today.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 08:50   #1098
BHPian

Sticking this here as this is relevant to Mumbai motorists.

I am noticing that Mumbaikars use the emergency parking lights whenever it rains. It is a complete joke of the purpose of the emergency lights. Motors on emergency parking lights then keep zig zagging, changing lanes. Emergency lights are only to be used when a car would never change lanes and maintain a straight path or is stalled.
During rains, using head lamps (low/ regular/ high) depending on the situation along with fog lights and tail lamps is the accepted regulations as:-
1. These lights make the motors more visible than the blinking emergency lights and makes it easier for drivers all around as well
2. It frees up the side indicators for what its main purpose is - to indicate turns/ change of lanes (sadly, most Mumbaikars have stopped using indicators since the last few years)
neelchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:53   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
I am noticing that Mumbaikars use the emergency parking lights whenever it rains. It is a complete joke of the purpose of the emergency lights. Motors on emergency parking lights then keep zig zagging, changing lanes. Emergency lights are only to be used when a car would never change lanes and maintain a straight path or is stalled.
A big +1 to the above, this is so true! Just a few hours ago today, I was driving down to Thane to get my car serviced. It was (is still) raining heavily and practically 80% of the motorists had switched on their hazard lights and it only served to further obscure visibility!
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:59   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Emergency lights are only to be used when a car would never change lanes and maintain a straight path or is stalled.
A small correction. Hazard light are only to used when you have been stranded and not for the reason that you dont change lanes or maintain a straight path.

Its the fear that their vehicles might be rear ended that force the even well educated drivers to switch on the Hazard lamps. If its raining heavily, even the brightest hazard lamps wont be easily visible.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 12:02   #1101
BHPian

Quote:

...... Emergency lights are only to be used when a car would never change lanes and maintain a straight path or is stalled. .....

I think there is a serios misunderstanding even amongst many bhpians as well.

Without offending anyone, I would strongly recommend reading this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rd-lights.html
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 12:13   #1102
BHPian

Hindmata junction is flooded. Therefore, no traffic is being allowed below the flyover resulting in choc-a-block traffic on the main road. People are taking 1-2 hours to cover 4 kms Dadar-Parel stretch (on both sides)
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-hindmata-unction.jpg  

Gotham_City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:47   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A small correction. Hazard light are only to used when you have been stranded and not for the reason that you dont change lanes or maintain a straight path.

Its the fear that their vehicles might be rear ended that force the even well educated drivers to switch on the Hazard lamps. If its raining heavily, even the brightest hazard lamps wont be easily visible.
1. Point I was trying to make is during rains, if you are ignorantly turning on hazard light then at least do not drive at regular/high speeds and keep changing lanes etc. I know it came out all wrong, but I in no way profess that hazard light should be used to indicate driving in a straight path.

2. Tail lamp is as good as if not better than hazard lights to avoid vehicles from getting banged from behind while in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I think there is a serios misunderstanding even amongst many bhpians as well.

Without offending anyone, I would strongly recommend reading this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rd-lights.html
As mentioned in point 1 above, my sentence came out all wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Hindmata junction is flooded. Therefore, no traffic is being allowed below the flyover resulting in choc-a-block traffic on the main road. People are taking 1-2 hours to cover 4 kms Dadar-Parel stretch (on both sides)
All of this week, I had been going down this road. Thank God, stroke of luck that today I do not have to.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th July 2014 at 16:46. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use edit option
Old 13th July 2014, 10:28   #1104
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic : Our civic sense

>>>

Bombay has been blessed (at last) with the 'regular' monsoon that we are so used to in the last few days, with sharp,heavy downpours interspersed with steady rain and drizzle.

Yesterday Saturday, it took me over an hour to reach Phoenix Mills in Lower Parel from Kala Ghoda in the evening: the entire stretch from Mahalaxmi station past the racecourse to the Phoenix Mall was almost in gridlock.

Two points which irritate me, both describe the same point :

1. Despite the efforts of the Traffic Police- doing a thankless job in rainy weather- trying to ensure disciplined, lane based vehicle entry into the mall, a few cars muscle in, in the lanes, leading to further delays, risks of accidents, frayed tempers and a constant shrieking of horns

2. At the traffic signal where the JVLR turns right under the Jogeshwari flyover, a shiny dark red Honda City bearing the registration MH01 BA 6050, muscled in from the right side, with barely an inch separating my right side ORVM with its left side ORVM. Then this charming driver crossed to the left lane across my path during turning into the JVLR and sped away

In both these instances, and in many others which we might have experienced, I see seemingly well off, seemingly well educated people do this. Similarly cars do not vacate the right most lane for a faster car.

I am sure these very people do not break traffic rules and norms while driving overseas. Why?

What makes them have abysmal civic sense in their homeland and a different behaviour elsewhere?

Do we need a combination of stringent monitoring and stiffer penalties to make them better?

Will a combination of CCTVs and heavier penalties ( maybe of the order of Rs 2500-10000) work?

It is getting to the point where driving ramps up your stress levels drastically and I am thinking of not driving at all within Bombay.

Regards
issigonis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 11:16   #1105
Senior - BHPian

The right to go to Borivali where the JVLR ends is fully decimated, potholes the size of craters are causing heavy jams as soon as you turn. Took me half an hour to negotiate just a small little 1 kilometer stretch and this was during Non peak afternoon hours.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 11:47   #1106
BHPian

Had been for a night drive, this Friday night and I was left quite disappointed with the quality of our roads. So many unexpected, unmarked speedbreakers; so many deep potholes.

Even the south bound stretch of marine drive has so many bumps/ rough undulations in between. Spoils the whole joy of driving. And especially, the Wilson College signal junction. It is almost like driving on a golf ball's surface. Cars crossing the junction at speeds of not more than 5-8 kmph, I can just imagine what must be the situation in peak hours when so many cars are crossing the junction at such low speeds..

Things are just worsening; I really wonder what will wake up the authorities from their slumber.

Also, yesterday, a friend on two wheeler took 1 hr to reach from Goregaon West S.V. Rd. to Goregaon East (Gokuldham).

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 13th July 2014 at 11:48.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 08:18   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Few days of rains and Mumbaikars already feel they are on the moon. Its unimaginable the kind of potholes one sees in this initial spell. Especially at the rogue spots i.e below and after the flyovers. Freshly laid road 15 days before have already seen potholes. I only dread what the state would be if it rains a few more days.
Old 14th July 2014, 09:57   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Few days of rains and Mumbaikars already feel they are on the moon. Its unimaginable the kind of potholes one sees in this initial spell. Especially at the rogue spots i.e below and after the flyovers. Freshly laid road 15 days before have already seen potholes. I only dread what the state would be if it rains a few more days.
Almost none of the newly laid surfaces survived the very first 5 minute drizzle of the season. The condition of Mumbai roads and Met dept's forecasts are the most consistent. The jokes about them can be reused year after year without any modifications!
Old 14th July 2014, 14:57   #1109
BHPian

Guys, just drive on the Dindoshi flyover to see the huge mess that has been created. the whole flyover was relaid hardly 15-30 days back and now not a bit of new gravel is there. There are craters on top of the flyover which can easily globle up the wheels of my poor Waggy
Old 14th July 2014, 16:47   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Who in the world and such a stupid frame of mind gave the authorisation to have the Infinity 2 Mall Entrance on the link road. Why cant they have it on the side road which also is big enough and has 2 gates. This is our Moron Management.

The entire western suburbs descends on the Link Road over the weekends to HyperCity, Inorbit and Infinity 2. The worst hit is Infinity 2 with cars breaking signals / lanes just to get into the mall. Crazy it is. Due to all this, there is such a huge traffic jam. It took me 90 minutes from Malad West till Goregaon West yesterday evening. Distance travelled is 6 odd kms.

Thats why i prefer taking an Auto / cab within the city. Its a pain to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks