Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 11:14   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Traffic was a breeze yesterday, but today again ghastly. I think with the Republic Day Parade at Marine Drive, repairing of Marine Drive from 1st February onwards, the ghastly Nana Chowk skywalk and half of the roads dug up, there will be no end to South Mumbai's traffic in the foreseeable future. By then we will have rains and mammoth craters to negotiate.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:25   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BHPians travelling from Mumbai to Thane on Eastern express highway, please take a note that the Mulund flyover (Thane going side) is closed for repairs and you will have to approach the toll from below the flyover. I was told that this is the case since Saturday. The Mumbai side flyover is open but may soon see repairs as the road on the flyover is the right candidate for the repairs.
Last night - a truck had broken at the entrance of the flyover, 1 lane blocked causing huge traffic buildup.
Move a little ahead - 1 lane blocked for the so-called asphalting work.
A little further ahead - a Tata Ace broken down, which was still there this morning as well
Old 27th January 2014, 13:36   #963
Senior - BHPian

40K autos plying in Thane without valid permit

This is serious. Imagine 40K autos plying on Thane without a valid permit. Just wondering if Thane RTO decides not to allow these unauthorized autos wouldnt the roads in Thane would be less clogged?. The statistics was brought forward by a RTI filed by an activist who was asked for a sum of 55L to reveal the info by the officials in the RTO dept (not mentioned in the article but read in TOI few days back).

Also wondering what would be the % of unathorized autos plying in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai areas?

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...to-vijay-lande

Got hold of the article regarding the RTI issue.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/29270334.cms

Last edited by ghodlur : 27th January 2014 at 13:45. Reason: Added the additional link
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 14:59   #964
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40K autos plying in Thane without valid permit

Quote:
Imagine 40K autos plying on Thane without a valid permit. Just wondering if Thane RTO decides not to allow these unauthorized autos wouldnt the roads in Thane would be less clogged?.
It seems there is an Auto Union Meeting today (as was told to me by a rick driver) and hence there were lesser autos on the road and trust me, it was bliss. Very less traffic today while coming from Goregaon to Powai.
Old 27th January 2014, 19:30   #965
BHPian

Re: 40K autos plying in Thane without valid permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
It seems there is an Auto Union Meeting today (as was told to me by a rick driver) and hence there were lesser autos on the road and trust me, it was bliss. Very less traffic today while coming from Goregaon to Powai.
+1 to Desmosedici.

Drove from National Park to Mahananda Dairy on the WEH today morning continuosuly without touching the clutch or braking. It was a breeze.
Old 1st February 2014, 13:21   #966
BHPian

The Mankhurd Flyover on the Sion-Panvel Road (Going Towards Chembur) is finally open!!

However, only about 100mtrs on either end of the flyover is new and smooth asphalt. The rest is metaled road and not smooth and created a racket coupled with my ageing GoodYears, but come what may it is a great relief.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 10:40   #967
BHPian

All hell broke loose on Western Express Highway between Borivali to Malad this morning. Traffic was standstill. Can't remember when did I experience such bad traffic on this stretch.

Took internal roads of Thakur Village and Akurli (Kandivali E) to bypass some of it. Despite riding over dug up portions of road and garbage dumps, it took me double the regular time (on my Yamaha R15).
Old 7th February 2014, 08:27   #968
BHPian

Any updates on today's traffic on WEH? I hope its unlike yesterday!
Old 7th February 2014, 09:47   #969
BHPian

I experienced crawling traffic from TOI flyover upto Dindoshi on WEH today..the rest was normal
Old 7th February 2014, 09:55   #970
Senior - BHPian

The recent budget announcement by BMC (the so called richest municipal body in India) shows that Rs 2.5K crore Rupees is being alloted to ensure that the Mumbai roads are pothole free. Every year the budget is increased with Mumbaikar's getting absolutely no respite in the monsoons and soon there after. Its a pity that the common man's hard earned income is being pillaged by the BMC officials and the no good politicians. God only knows when this is going to end and the roads will be worht drivable.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/c...w/29917408.cms

Another blot in the BMC functioning.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/c...w/29805917.cms
Old 7th February 2014, 11:19   #971
BHPian

It's like the year-on-year appraisals for the BMC officials More money to usurp.
Old 8th February 2014, 23:00   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Tts a pity that the common man's hard earned income is being pillaged by the BMC officials and the no good politicians. God only knows when this is going to end and the roads will be worht drivable.

Just keep paying your taxes regularly and keep voting for better.

'Bhagwan ke ghar der hai, andher nahi' - late Shri Pran in some Hindi movie

'Karm karo fruits uparwale par chhod do' - Geeta in some chapter.

"What can I do? I am just a common man. No pun intended!"
Old 9th February 2014, 00:34   #973
BHPian

Quote:
The recent budget announcement by BMC (the so called richest municipal body in India) shows that Rs 2.5K crore Rupees is being alloted to ensure that the Mumbai roads are pothole free. Every year the budget is increased with Mumbaikar's getting absolutely no respite in the monsoons and soon there after.
For the last few years i've been hearing that the BMC budget is grossly under-utilized. Even this year it seems only ~30% budget was utilized until a few days back. So to me, BMC's budget doesn't seem to be the problem, rather the go-slow spending by them through the year.

I'd read a headline few months ago that reputed contractors L&T etc. are hesitant to bid for BMC tenders due to arcane rules, or some such reason. I guess this could also be a reason for our pathetic roads.
Old 9th February 2014, 14:15   #974

Traffic is getting clogged near Kala Nagar, Bandra lately. And the last I was on WEH, there was quite some traffic near the Airport. Both because of roadworks pertaining to the flyovers.

Can someone please notify if there is any change in the condition?

Regards,
G P
Old 9th February 2014, 22:27   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
For the last few years i've been hearing that the BMC budget is grossly under-utilized. Even this year it seems only ~30% budget was utilized until a few days back. So to me, BMC's budget doesn't seem to be the problem, rather the go-slow spending by them through the year.

I'd read a headline few months ago that reputed contractors L&T etc. are hesitant to bid for BMC tenders due to arcane rules, or some such reason. I guess this could also be a reason for our pathetic roads.
Hi
AFAIR about 70% goes to pay the salaries. (Add to that the 100% of under the table amount). From the balance 30 %, money is budgeted for various projects. From this budgeted amount some amount is not spent.
Since my school days ( I am nearly 70 now) have been reading about world class roads. Wonder which world were the referring to.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks