Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 09:46   #916
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

9 Car Pile up on the Vashi Bridge on the lane heading Westward ( towards Bombay). Incidentally out of the 9 cars, I think about 6 cars were Suzukis, including Ertiga, Swift and two Wagon R.

If that wasn't enough, the lane heading east (into Navi Mumbai) too had a Truck blocking traffic coz it had broken down, perhaps it too was an accident but did not dwell too much!
Old 28th November 2013, 11:21   #917
Senior - BHPian

I saw in today mornings on the news channels about a Jaguar turning turtle on the Bandra Worli Sea link. The Jaguar driver couldnt control the speed and hit the road barrier blocks and turned upsdie down. The damage was huge considering the fact that the cops couldnt identify the car. It had the no plate MH01 BK100 (if my memory is correct).

Also on the sealink an accident involving a BMW and another car, dont remember which. I guess Sea link is now getting the same notoriety as the Palm beach road.
Old 28th November 2013, 14:27   #918
BHPian

The only reason that crops up in every such case is overspeeding. We never learn from the things happening around us. Every copule of days we hear news about car accidents in the city,but how many of us think of driving at saner speeds ? I drive every day on the WEH and everyday i see the biker hoodlums who just run right, left and centre! Do these guys, do not read, or see things on TV. Can they atleast learn from other peoples mistakes, if not their owns ? Being a Bombayite it pains me to see these attitude in a city which famed itself for traffic manners. The situation is not bad and can be controlled with some better policing and harsher punishments, some body please catch these biker morons !

Heck, I even saw a biker kick a traffic cop on the WEH and run away on the north bound entrance of the Aarey flyover.

End of rant
Old 9th December 2013, 13:57   #919
Senior - BHPian

Another accident on Mumbai roads at Peddar road, this time involving an Aston martin, Audi and Toyota Corolla. Total loss 4.5Cr. Its been reported at Midday.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/dec...edder-road.htm
Old 12th December 2013, 08:19   #920
Senior - BHPian

Saw a minor accident on the last flyover of the eastern express highway going towards Nashik involving two bikers. One biker wanted to go towards Nashik and other towards Ghodbunder Road, Thane. It was a minor brush with both the drivers losing balance & falling on the road. Luckily no heavy vehicles behind them. That cross over spot is increasingly becoming dangerous.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:06   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Another accident on Mumbai roads at Peddar road, this time involving an Aston martin, Audi and Toyota Corolla. Total loss 4.5Cr. Its been reported at Midday.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/dec...edder-road.htm
In today's news it says that someone surrendered to police claiming that he was driving the vehicle. Police is playing smart and are working on getting finger prints from the vehicle, mobile connection tracing and CCTV footage to check if he really was driving the car. Reminds me of a time when rich people used to drive and cause accidents and then ask their servants to own up charge in return for money or other stuff.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:11   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
In today's news it says that someone surrendered to police claiming that he was driving the vehicle. Police is playing smart and are working on getting finger prints from the vehicle, mobile connection tracing and CCTV footage to check if he really was driving the car. Reminds me of a time when rich people used to drive and cause accidents and then ask their servants to own up charge in return for money or other stuff.
Funny isnt it and sounds filmy too. Somebody comes and accepts his fault to the cops (either forced too or on his own) and cops try to play Sherlock Holmes. All other times they are the first to blame the owners. But the owners of the Audi which was hit clearly mention in the newpapers that they had seen a stout guy getting out of the car after the accident and the person who claims to be the driver is no where near the definition of stout (as per Audi owners). Lets see if the cops are successful in catching the real culprit or is it going to go the usual hush hush way.
Old 14th December 2013, 11:41   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Saw a minor accident on the last flyover of the eastern express highway going towards Nashik involving two bikers. One biker wanted to go towards Nashik and other towards Ghodbunder Road, Thane. It was a minor brush with both the drivers losing balance & falling on the road. Luckily no heavy vehicles behind them. That cross over spot is increasingly becoming dangerous.
The signage is at fault. The signage starts only at the foot of the flyover and shows all routes as straight ahead - including ghodbunder road and nasik. It's only when vehicles approach the fork on the flyover the signage displays the directions correctly in tiny signs.
I travel by that route daily and wonder how the planners failed to consider such a important thing which is actually insignificant in the overall cost. A major accident is just waiting to happen there.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 22:40   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
The signage is at fault. The signage starts only at the foot of the flyover and shows all routes as straight ahead - including ghodbunder road and nasik. It's only when vehicles approach the fork on the flyover the signage displays the directions correctly in tiny signs.
I travel by that route daily and wonder how the planners failed to consider such a important thing which is actually insignificant in the overall cost. A major accident is just waiting to happen there.
I soo agree with this. Last week while I was returning from Airoli on bike, this was the 1st time I was taking this road. Saw the signage and was confused to see everything going straight. But, common sense prevailed and I kept left knowing that GB road was on my left.

The point mentioned here should have been considered.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:05   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
I soo agree with this. Last week while I was returning from Airoli on bike, this was the 1st time I was taking this road. Saw the signage and was confused to see everything going straight. But, common sense prevailed and I kept left knowing that GB road was on my left.

The point mentioned here should have been considered.
Last night I almost ended up in a crash on that spot where the flyover forks into Ghodbunder road........... A joker driving about 4-5 cars ahead of me suddenly decided he was heading to Ghodbunder road instead of Nashik and abruptly turned left seeing the fork ! Had to slam on the brakes really hard to avert a pile-on. Ditto for the cars ahead of me. What a moron ! Almost saw my heart pop out of my mouth and land on the car ahead of me

Granted that the signages aren't sufficient and there's very little advance warning on the flyover except two signages posted just at the begining of the fork. But a level-headed driver should know he/she can't simply breach lanes without thinking !
Old 17th December 2013, 08:48   #926
Senior - BHPian

More news about the Majiwade flyover. TOI reports says that the new flyover is a big failure since it does nothing to reduce the traffic congestion near the BPCL petrol pump as the heavy vehicles still continue to use the road beneath the flyover. I only dread the chaos which will be started once these heavy vehicles start using the flyover. One starnded heavy vehicle is sufficient enough to extend the jam to spill over on the Eastern express highway.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/27383419.cms
Old 17th December 2013, 08:54   #927
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how many true goods carriers are coming in from Ghodbunder side onto the EEH. All buses pick up passengers from the road below and most other trucks either enter Thane or turn towards Nasik.

I also don't know if the traffic from Kolshet road can get onto the flyover. Most likely not.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:11   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I don't know how many true goods carriers are coming in from Ghodbunder side onto the EEH. All buses pick up passengers from the road below and most other trucks either enter Thane or turn towards Nasik.

I also don't know if the traffic from Kolshet road can get onto the flyover. Most likely not.
Lot many trucks travel on the Ghodbunder Road to reach EE highway or go towards Nashik. Since the heavy vehicles/tanker/trailers are banned from entering the city premises during 6 am to 10 pm time slot, you might not see them in good numbers. Post 10 pm its racing time for the trucks and all them want to race making the life hellish for a normal car/bike commuter.

Right now the traffic from Kolshet road cant get on the flyover coz the flyover isnt built as yet. But once it does, then things are going to be more difficult than imagined on the puny 2 lane flyover.

While travelling to offic etoday morning saw a traffic jam building on the teen haath naka flyover due to an truck accident. It looked like the truck had rammed into the flyover railing coz there was concrete strewn all over. The worst part is everybody on the opposite lane slowing down to get a better view and blocking the traffic in the course.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:14   #929
BHPian

Quote:
...The worst part is everybody on the opposite lane slowing down to get a better view and blocking the traffic in the course.
Bit OT - But exactly my experience as well. I don't understand or rather I don't want to understand the macabre curiosity of people to see accidents or rather the aftermath!!
This past Friday I was coming back from Pune on the E-Way and witnessed an accident wherein a dezire (or swift) had rammed into the back of a Truck. The accident had taken place in the Mumbai Bound Lane near the apex on the long sweeping right hander just before the first Lonavala Exit.
Several motorists slowed down to help the occupants and parked on the shoulder, but several idiots took up all three lanes just to peer in and see what was left and what had happened!!
If you want to help, pull over and park, if not, just keep driving and don't become a cause for another accident.

Last edited by PGNarain : 17th December 2013 at 10:28.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:48   #930
BHPian

Any update about the traffic scene on the versova bridge near Hotel Fountain on NH8? Apparently there were some cracks on the bridge and hence only one lane was being used for the traffic causing massive jams (as per the newspaper). I am planning to travel that route tomorrow afternoon, was worried whether I'd be stuck there.

Are there any other alternatives to reach NH8 from Eastern Express highway?

Most Viewed