Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 08:28   #1021
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
The new road that is created to connect Chembur and Santa Cruz opens on 16th April along with that the amar mahal flyover opens along with it. Lets see how much it eases the traffic on the existing route.
About time ! I've been waiting for this connect for ages. Supposed to cut down commute time by 45 minutes, lets see. I'm wondering, when all the traffic from Amar Mahal lands up in Kalina / SCZ, what a bottleneck it will create at the WEH junction !!! Scary. Am sure the authorities havent thought about it yet.
Old 18th April 2014, 10:56   #1022
BHPian

Used the SCLR for the first time today ! Was pretty excited while driving up the ramp on EEH. Wanted to share with you all my experience. Usually my drive to Bandra via Sion, Dharavi depot, T-Junction-Bandra Flyover-Lilavati-Hill Road takes atleast an hour or more from Amar Mahal during peak hours.
Since the newspapers had announced the opening of the SCLR flyover from 8 am today, I was eager to try it out. I kept to the extreme left lane while descending the Chedda Nagar flyover. at the end of the flyover, there were cops all around indicating that the flyover is open and we may use it. The barricades were still there at the foot of the SCLR, but they had left two lanes open.

Possible Bottleneck No: 1 : Today is a public holiday so not much traffic was seen. On weekdays, the traffic coming from below the Chedda Nagar flyover and that coming from top of the flyover are going to clash, since the former might not wish to take the SCLR and the latter may want to turn left to take the SCLR. Hope the cops are listening.
The road ahead was clean (famous last words) and a few workers were giving finishing touches to the paint on the dividers. The reflectors on the road were in place. Remains to be seen how effective they are in the night since the way is pretty curvy !

Beyond the Amar Mahal cross-over, the flyover lands on a level area and there is an option to either take the lower deck (To Nehru Nagar & LTT ) or the upper deck (to SCZ and BKC). The permanent direction signs are not in place. They have used vinyl sheets printed with directions which are tied up on the scaffoldings to indicate the way. Hopefully these will be painted and set right. The way forward over the central railway tracks and onto Kurla west is pretty good. The flyover lands just before the existing LBS Marg flyover at Kurla west. Once you take the LBS Marg flyover, You're in Kalina/Santa Cruz in a jiffy. There is a left turn to BKC too.

What used to take me an hour or more was accomplished in 6 minutes today !!!!
Well done, MMRDA. Better late than never. Hopefully, on regular working days with full flow of traffic, I should be able to do this route in atleast 15-20 minutes.

But enjoyed the ride and was very excited to share it with you. Thanks.
andy69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 11:03   #1023
BHPian

Took the SCLR today here are my first impressions.

1. The planning is really poor of the entire stretch uptill Kurla flyover.
2. Today being an holiday, it saved a lot of time but on a normal working day during peak hours this road will experience B2B traffic for following reasons.
a. Traffic coming from Mankhurd/Vashi below the cheda nagar flyover crosses the EEH & the entry of SCLR at EEH end of highway
b. Traffic abruptly connect to kurla where I saw a signal & just next to the signal there is some structure right in the center of road not sure what it is & how come they didn't remove it.
c. The entire road still has a lot of construction debris lying around.
d. Already you can see cars parked on both side of roads near Kurla slums.

Really need to see if this saves any time during peak hour on a normal working day or this is another piece of heavy investment but little/no return.

Thanks
g.e
Old 18th April 2014, 16:44   #1024
BHPian

Cops at Sahar Road near Sahar Cargo Indian oil Petrol pump are stopping and issuing chalans for red light running to motorists. Technically these motorists are not at fault as they are following a traffic light that is blinking green.

It happened to me this afternoon while going towards the airport after taking left turn towards airport. My protest paid off. The traffic light at the left turn towards airport before Sahar Cargo was blatantly blinking green. Yet cops are maintained you have run a red light. There were couple of two-wheelers behind me that were stopped as well.

I protested saying you can't issue me chalan because the signal is green. If it is malfunctioning they need to fix it. Apparently they are only considering the main light on the opposite right hand corner towards Sahar Cargo.

I and the people behind me were let go but while returning back from the airport I noticed they are still citing people and people arguing about the blinking green light. I turned around to confirm the light is still blinking green as I passed the right turn towards NH8.

Last edited by TMRT : 18th April 2014 at 16:48.
Old 21st April 2014, 10:43   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
1. The planning is really poor of the entire stretch uptill Kurla flyover.
Really need to see if this saves any time during peak hour on a normal working day or this is another piece of heavy investment but little/no return.
+1 to all of the above. I stay in Navi Mumbai and had to drop my mother at the Sahar Airport on Saturday evening. Since the SCLR was new, decided to try it out and see if it lived upto the all the hype!!

BIG mistake, we arrived at the airport with only 20-25mins before the scheduled departure and almost missed the flight. My mother managed to catch the flight ONLY becoz the flight was delayed by 30mins!!

1. The entry to the SCLR from the Mankhurd - EEH side was slightly congested as the road had been dug up right near the entry leaving barely space enough for 2 vehicles to pass through. Moreover, when we were getting on, there was a 40' trailer making the climb!!

2. The flyover from Amar Mahal upto the Kurla Signal was reletively free of traffic, but even though the road surface is new, it is very uneven and rough.

3. After the Kurla signal, all the way till Kalina - Mumbai University Gate, traffic was at a snail's pace!! Kurla - Kalina Stretch was very slow (including the flyover) and eased off a little bit after the turn of for BKC.

4. From Surve Chowk, the traffic eased of just a little bit but the road was narrow and made worse by the multitude of cars parked on the sides. It continued this way all the way to the Unversity Campus gate after which it was smooth flowing till the Vakola Flyover!! All in all the trip took us 2hr 15mins.

However, saw a number of traffic policemen all along the stretch managing the traffic continuously.

On the way back took the regular Sion-Dharavi route and got back home in about 1hr 15mins.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:17   #1026
Senior - BHPian

With three days to go for the Big V day, there are bound to be some traffic restrictions in the city. TOI has come out with the list although the Mumbai traffic police website does have the links to specific locations.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/34014387.cms

https://trafficpolicemumbai.maharash...20Releases.htm

Request all Mumbaites to ensure that they are aware of the parking restrictions.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:55   #1027
BHPian

B-to-B traffic on WEH from Shankar wadi, Jogeshwari! Don't know the situation ahead as I took an exit at Chakala. The traffic seemed the same on the Chakala flyover.

Edit : GMaps showing an accident on Airport flyover/WEH

Last edited by nishantdlv : 25th April 2014 at 08:59.
Old 25th April 2014, 13:52   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Update:

Road has been relayered. Way way better than what it was after the first monsoon shower of 2013. With monsoon coming in a couple of months, enjoy it till its washed away again
Old 29th April 2014, 12:37   #1029
BHPian

The road connecting Sion Circle to Sion Koliwada (through Cinemax and Kalpataru Point) has now been re-opened. Although only a relatively narrow road is freshly laid and it is advisable to avoid the road unless you are very confident with handling your car through narrow spaces. Along one side of the road, there is a steep fall which is guaranteed to damage any vehicle badly if it falls off road.
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:14   #1030
BHPian

The byculla flyover is closed. Massive traffic jams stretching onto lalbaug flyover. If going to South Bombay, take pedder road or p dmello road.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 09:50   #1031
BHPian

Read in the Mumbai mirror that even the Dindoshi flyover is closed off repairs. Can some one confirm this. Also if the repairs are going on how much time will it be shut ?
Please reply.
Old 4th May 2014, 10:59   #1032
Senior - BHPian

The Vasai bridge near Fountain hotel on Ghodbunder Road which developed crack and faced closure of one lane will see further delays. The bridge was to b repaired and thrown open in April but now will see only end of May or be further pushed to June 2014. The reasons being the same political interference due to elections.
Old 4th May 2014, 11:32   #1033
BHPian

The vasai bridge does not seem to be in a condition to open in june.
The girders still lie untouched.

As regards the dindoshi flyover ,
The reason being given is repairing the gutters on the flyover.?
Why can they be done 1 in a day at night?

The traffic seemed to be endless yday . It took me 2 hours from borivali to andheri.

Perfect timing to closure;
Elections over trouble begins!
Old 4th May 2014, 14:54   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
The vasai bridge does not seem to be in a condition to open in june.
The girders still lie untouched.
The Vasai bridge is in my dad's daily route. Last Saturday it took him 3 hours to reach Vasai from Malad and another 3 hours to return home that is a whopping 6 hours stuck on the road! What about his office work? Will the NHAI compensate him? For at least a month no work had started they had just blocked the bridge thats it.Even now I have never seen more than 10 workers working on the bridge at a time. Work is being carried out at a snail's pace. Don't think it will be ready even by July.
Old 4th May 2014, 21:48   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Read in the Mumbai mirror that even the Dindoshi flyover is closed off repairs. Can some one confirm this. Also if the repairs are going on how much time will it be shut ?
Please reply.
It is confirmed as true, and while the official line is that it'll reopen in 30-45 days, I reckon it'll take closer to 2 months for it to be thrown open again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks