Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 16:49   #271
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieWoosert View Post
Very well summarized Maverick1977. Especially, the breakdowns and the nakabandi are real killers.

A few other reasons that i have seen:
  • Heavy vehicles (trucks/trailers) driving in peak traffic in the fast lane, slowing down all vehicles behind, especially when climbing a flyover. I wonder if they could ban heavy vehicles going south in the morning, and north in the evening.
I am really surprised we still have trucks and trailers piling on the WE Expressway and that too during the peak hours. Also, I am wondering why do the trailers need to be on the WE Highway in the first place. Where are they headed to? If its unavoidable, I do agree that there should be a ban during the morning and evening peak hours.
Old 12th February 2013, 22:27   #272
Senior - BHPian

With more and more vehicles piling up, more and more traffic and worsening road conditions, a lot of accidents take place, tempers rise, road rage happens.

I have decided to sell off one of my cars as i have nearly stopped driving. I car pool to office with my friend, if he isnt there, i take a rick. While coming back i take the company transport.

I really enjoy sitting at the back of the rick and not worrying about the traffic, someone scratching my car, cops playing around and wasting time and trying to make a fast buck.

Off lately (around 6 months back), i used to find myself breathing heavily and my bp going higher whenever i used to drive. Reason is i care too much about the rules, not causing any unwanted accident, also being paranoid about my car. All this was resulting in a hyper state of mind. Thats when i decided that its enough.

I do drive now but only during night when i get to enjoy the drive or when i drive for trips out of the city. I find driving and finding a parking space as a biggest waste of time and money in a city like mumbai.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 23:18   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieWoosert
A few other reasons that i have seen:[*]Traffic Volume.

One tip for reading through such a long post: Stick to the left or the second-from-left lanes while navigating between JVLR and Oberoi. Somehow, these seem to move the fastest, and the so-called right-fast lanes are just stuck
Agree to most of things that you have said. Another way of incentivizing car pooling is by having dedicated fast lanes for cars with 3 or more occupants. Something like BRTS. I think this is being done in some countries already.

We do car pooling since last 4 years and I can goo on and on about the benefits of the same.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th February 2013 at 11:44. Reason: quoted post edited.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 08:28   #274
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Agree to most of things that you have said. Another way of incentivizing car pooling is by having dedicated fast lanes for cars with 3 or more occupants. Something like BRTS. I think this is being done in some countries already.
We do car pooling since last 4 years and I can goo on and on about the benefits of the same.
In US, those are called as HOV lanes - High Occupancy Vehicles only. Its a brilliant concept that encourages people to car-pool.

Ahmedabad has started with BRTS. The BRTS lanes are in the center of the road. Change management and strict implementation are huge challenges.

The BMC had done a feasibility study for BRTS a few years back and was also started on a experimental basis. Not sure what was the result of the exercise, but I won't be surprised if the plans have been shelved.

Have you noticed the deliberate crimping of the leftmost lane (can't call it a service road) outside IIT Powai? At one point the 2 lanes are deliberated tapered to allow only one bus to pass. This looks like a ill-conceived implementation of a BRTS lane.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th February 2013 at 19:39. Reason: Typo fixed on request
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 12:45   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

I really enjoy sitting at the back of the rick and not worrying about the traffic, someone scratching my car, cops playing around and wasting time and trying to make a fast buck.

I do drive now but only during night when i get to enjoy the drive or when i drive for trips out of the city. I find driving and finding a parking space as a biggest waste of time and money in a city like mumbai.
Super-like! What you wrote is absolutely what I have come to think. For some reason, the availability of ricks has improved tremendously nowadays, which was the one deterrent previously to that. Now its rick most of the days for office commute, or bus occasionally (when I have lot of time on hand). You can catch up on a lot of pending stuff like making calls, messages, music etc in the rick as well

I prefer to drive when I have to go against the traffic, for example going to south Mumbai in the evening. And of course, the extensive weekend drives out of town. Everytime I come back to the city after driving on the highways, makes me question why I even think of driving in the city.
BertieWoosert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 15:39   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Super-like! What you wrote is absolutely what I have come to think. For some reason, the availability of ricks has improved tremendously nowadays, which was the one deterrent previously to that. Now its rick most of the days for office commute, or bus occasionally (when I have lot of time on hand). You can catch up on a lot of pending stuff like making calls, messages, music etc in the rick as well
Exactly my point. i can really catch up on a lot of stuff like checking emails, listening to music and make those pending calls to get stuff done or just day dream .

I still do get refusals from rick drivers but after the fare hike, it has come down a wee bit and if you ask politely they also nod their heads. Yep, there are still those few rude guys who just say NO. I promptly note down their Reg numbers and call up the RTO Helpline and lodge a complaint.

But overall, rick travel (except for the fare hike and the bone jarring ride) has become better. I dont mind spending a few more bucks for mental peace.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:54   #277
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Off lately (around 6 months back), i used to find myself breathing heavily and my bp going higher whenever i used to drive. Reason is i care too much about the rules, not causing any unwanted accident, also being paranoid about my car. All this was resulting in a hyper state of mind. Thats when i decided that its enough.
Quote:
... Now its rick most of the days for office commute, or bus occasionally (when I have lot of time on hand). You can catch up on a lot of pending stuff like making calls, messages, music etc in the rick as well
Ricks? Really, guys?
I thought TBHPians loathe even the sight of them, let alone getting into one

Number of ricks on Mumbai roads and their lack of road-discipline are the biggest causes behind the traffic situation in Mumbai. Just recollect the last time when autos and taxis in Mumbai went on a strike. The traffic situation improves within hours when these guys are not on road.

In my personal opinion, autos should be used as a means of 'occasional/emergency' transport that too for the "last-mile".

Last edited by SDP : 13th February 2013 at 15:56.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:12   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Have you noticed the deliberate crimping of the leftmost lane (can't call it a service road) outside IIT Powai? At one point the 2 lanes are deliberated tapered to allow only one bus to pass. This looks like a ill-conceived implementation of a BRTS lane.
Actually that complete section has become a nightmare, first that temple in the middle, then that stupid restaurant and now some new diversion due to repairs.
I got hit by bus on that diversion and lost visor of left ORVM. further bad luck that I was driving my boss's car.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:24   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ricks? Really, guys?

Number of ricks on Mumbai roads and their lack of road-discipline are the biggest causes behind the traffic situation in Mumbai. Just recollect the last time when autos and taxis in Mumbai went on a strike. The traffic situation improves within hours when these guys are not on road.

In my personal opinion, autos should be used as a means of 'occasional/emergency' transport that too for the "last-mile".
I fully agree to that as well however there is also the other 'comfort' side of it. I for sure definitely dont want to get stuck in a traffic, silently obeying all the rules, watching out for others to ruin my day.

I love to drive. Ask me to drive down to Goa or any other place from Mumbai and i would be game for it but tell me to take the car out within Mumbai, thats when i start sweating.

As far as possible, i try to request the rick driver not to break any signal, keep a normal pace etc in a jovial manner and it has worked. Educating all of them i know is a serious task as there is no willingness from their end.

2 sides of the same coin i would say
Old 13th February 2013, 16:42   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Ricks? Really, guys?
Just recollect the last time when autos and taxis in Mumbai went on a strike. The traffic situation improves within hours when these guys are not on road.
LOL! SDP - I dont know if you drive regularly on the WEH (especially between JVLR - Oberoi) in peak evening traffic time. I am sure if you start doing that, your ideas might change soon

Like Desmosedici, I too love "driving", but I wont dare to call what you have to endure on the WEH during evening as "driving". More like keeping yourself entertained by
  • trying out novel ways of switching gears betwen first and second
  • celebrating with a party if you are able to slot third gear
  • watching people buy peanuts from the hawkers ON the right fast lane (and not beside, I am not exaggerating) of the WEH
Quote:
Exactly my point. i can really catch up on a lot of stuff like checking emails, listening to music and make those pending calls to get stuff done or just day dream .
Day-dream about autos and taxis going on strike and we zipping along on the WEH!
BertieWoosert is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 18:17   #281
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Desmosedici and BertieWoosert,

I am absolutely not trying to belittle the problem faced by you guys. Sorry if it came out that way. There is no point denying that the traffic situation in Mumbai is a pain.

All I am contesting is whether "switching to ricks" is the appropriate solution. This solution solves the problem for the individual, but does nothing to solve the main problem. Instead of one private car there is one more auto on the road. As more people move from their cars to autos, the %age of unruly drivers increases and the overall traffic situation actually worsens.

If public transport is not an option for you, is company transport (i.e. a bus) an option? Just exploring. Please don't mind. I DO respect your views and your right to choose whatever is convenient to you.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 18:26   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ricks? Really, guys?
Hello SDP,

Just to add one more point - Risk to your Backbone (health in general). Most Auto's are in real bad shape & I personally know of a relative who suffered from Slipped Disc when the Auto he was travelling jumped a speed breaker at high speed.

Quote:
celebrating with a party if you are able to slot third gear
Hello BertieWoosert,
Third Gear in Car at WEH stretch between JVLR & Aarey Fly-over? No ways... If you believe me, I generally do not manage to shift to third gear on by Bike at this stretch, forget about getting in 3rd gear in Car.

Hello All,

I don't know whether this is happening everywhere in Mumbai, but atleast in Malad, I am noticing - Spead Breakers being put-up overnight on small interior roads. Though the intention is noble, but there has to be some thought for the drivers. There is no notice / warning whatsoever of speed breaker ahead.

When I was a kid, I distinctively, remember speed breakers painted black & while and there was a warning board approx 15 meters mentioning - "Speed Breaker Ahead". But this time around, they are just putting up speed breakers without any notice & there is no trace of painting them black & white. It there some change in rules recently?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 19:10   #283
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I don't know whether this is happening everywhere in Mumbai, but atleast in Malad, I am noticing - Spead Breakers being put-up overnight on small interior roads.
They came up past weekend. I can think of 2 on Link Road & 1 on Marve rd which is totally unnecessary as it is just before the signal!
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 19:14   #284
BHPian

Does anyone from here stay at Kandivli?
There's a 500 m stretch near my building, one lane for each direction.
The civic authorities have dug up the entire stretch in the left lane.
This leads to big chaos because most people then drive on the right lane(wrong direction) and the ones coming in the right direction have to stop or maneuver their cars in such a way that the others can pass.
Some of these people are so senseless that they actually honk and blink their lights at you even when they know they're in the wrong way. Yesterday I was driving through this road and a guy in a Getz comes in the wrong direction and I opened the window and told him "bro this is the wrong way". He says "sab chalta hai, kaun pakkadne wala hai aage?"

There is a no entry board on both the sides, but well

Also there's a lot of traffic in this area and with some people taking alternate routes it creates an even bigger chaos at a crossroads which is a bit ahead (200m).
Yesterday the traffic got choc-a-block with no one moving in any direction for about 20 mins. Then a chap got off from his bike and started directing the traffic. Took 20 mins to drive 50m.

I hope the authorities atleast put up some new signals here.

Couple of days back there was a huge traffic pileup at Borivli too when a signal's timer malfunctioned and allowed traffic from all directions to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 13th February 2013 at 19:23.
Old 13th February 2013, 20:05   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Does anyone from here stay at Kandivli?
There's a 500 m stretch near my building, one lane for each direction.
The civic authorities have dug up the entire stretch in the left lane.
Are you talking about the Mahavir Nagar area or somewhere close by. I am not well verse with the names in those areas, but think I know what area you are talking about.

I too was in a similar situation on one of those dug up roads near Mahavir Nagar at around 10 in the night. Parking on the sides of the roads make matters even worse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks