Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 14:10   #121
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
This should save some travel time from the Oberoi mall junction to the west. Does anyone has an updates on this flyover and its completion date ?
Sorry to disappoint you. But by the looks of it the flyover appears to be for one way traffic only. From West to East. SV Road to WEH. Notice the flyover only has an outlet on WEH to the traffic heading south. There is no way for traffic heading North to get on to the flyover. Travel time from West to WEH will be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friday evening was witness yet to another mother of all jams esp in the Powai area with traffic building up right from L&T junction all the way to the Gandhi Nagar signal right below the flyover courtsey an overturned cement mixer truck.
Was on the other end of this Jam. WEH to Powai. All rosy till Mahakali caves and then everything choc-o-bloc. I needed to get to Saki Vihar Road. Thought I would be smart and turned into SEEPZ to take Marol military road. Turns out I am not the only one who thinks of himself as smart. Equally jammed. Probably took me longer. And just the day before I was wondering the road has improved and we have not seen jams like in previous monsoons.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:47   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Sorry to disappoint you. But by the looks of it the flyover appears to be for one way traffic only. From West to East. SV Road to WEH. Notice the flyover only has an outlet on WEH to the traffic heading south. There is no way for traffic heading North to get on to the flyover. Travel time from West to WEH will be reduced.
This flyover has the West to East connectivity as well...the ramp is further inside when you take a left from the just before the HUB on the service road.

Also there is another flyover coming up near Jogeshwari station - if you go straight when you come from Powai to WEH. The traffic situation is only going to get messier at the JVLR - WEH junction once these 2 flyovers start operations.

The only solace we have is - it will be a couple of years at least before it's all done.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:54   #123
Senior - BHPian

Today as I was stuck in the jam towards WEH, I see that as traffic on the opposite waits for the lights to turn green,

A few BMC workers cut a tree that falls perpendicular to the path of the oncoming traffic blocking 2 lanes of traffic
Mumbai Traffic-20120717_102317.jpg

Instead of moving it out towards the pavement - the BMC guys start cutting the tree and its branches where it was
Mumbai Traffic-20120717_102314.jpg

The result - The Jam started to build
Mumbai Traffic-20120717_102629.jpg
Old 17th July 2012, 16:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The result - The Jam started to build
Hello Normally_crazy,

Where was this exactly today morning? I took from WEH today from Malad at around 9:45 am & surprisingly there was very less traffic today.

Hello All,

Does anybody regularly travel from Western suburbs (beyond Jogeshwari) on Western Express Highway towards JVLR?

The road (can I call it road???) under Flyover to take left turn towards JVLR is literally full of potholes. I wonder how this stretch is not yet repaired by BMC? I wonder many times at if at night some truck is passing here at high speed it might topple causing massive traffic jams next day.

Thanks,
Old 17th July 2012, 17:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Normally_crazy,

Where was this exactly today morning? I took from WEH today from Malad at around 9:45 am & surprisingly there was very less traffic today.

Hello All,

Does anybody regularly travel from Western suburbs (beyond Jogeshwari) on Western Express Highway towards JVLR?

The road (can I call it road???) under Flyover to take left turn towards JVLR is literally full of potholes. I wonder how this stretch is not yet repaired by BMC? I wonder many times at if at night some truck is passing here at high speed it might topple causing massive traffic jams next day.

Thanks,
I daily travel from near Inorbit till Hiranandani, Powai. I start around 12pm and take Aarey Colony Road. I have stopped driving since a month now as its very boring to just keep driving slow and also take care not to hit the morons on the road. So i just take a rick nowadays. Aarey has uneven roads and potholes here and there but still its not as bad as it was last year during the monsoons. It takes me 45 minutes to reach. I used to take the highway and then JVLR but found Aarey to be better.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:18   #126
BHPian

For the last week or so, the entire stretch of Eastern Express Highway from Ghatkopar Depot to Chunnabhatti has street lights turned off in the nights. The flyovers are not in good shape and have lots of loose gravel. Outbound traffic is very slow moving and motorists in the opposite direction have a very bad time with a hundreds of headlights focussed at them.
Old 17th July 2012, 18:27   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I start around 12pm and take Aarey Colony Road. I have stopped driving since a month now as its very boring to just keep driving slow and also take care not to hit the morons on the road.
Lucky you start at around 12 noon which means the traffic on Highway & Aarey will not be like morning.

Even I am doing the same. I travel from Malad West to SEEPZ & previously was going via Highway & JVLR. But now-a-days I travel Aarey road as the road is better & I also need to pick & drop a colleague near Royal Palms. But Aarey Road too is getting bad every passing day, though it is not as bad as it was last year. But we still have two & half months of monsoon fury left.

Thanks,
Old 17th July 2012, 21:29   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lucky you start at around 12 noon which means the traffic on Highway & Aarey will not be like morning.

Even I am doing the same. I travel from Malad West to SEEPZ & previously was going via Highway & JVLR. But now-a-days I travel Aarey road as the road is better & I also need to pick & drop a colleague near Royal Palms. But Aarey Road too is getting bad every passing day, though it is not as bad as it was last year. But we still have two & half months of monsoon fury left.

Thanks,
I used to leave at 8am from Dec 2011 till May 2012 and JVLR Traffic was horrible. Leave that aside, getting from west to east was horrible so i started taking the Aarey route to save time. I used to work at the L&T Business Park so it was easy as soon i get off Aarey, i used to reach office. Now i switched jobs in June and new office is in Hiranandani.

Aarey is good unless some moron tries a bad overtaking move, gets stuck resulting in a jam and all other morons also follow suit by cutting lanes and blocking the entire road. Aarey post 9pm is risky and at 11pm they close the road so while going back at around 10pm i take the JVLR and again after the SEEPZ Flyover, the traffic starts.
Old 17th July 2012, 22:31   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
This flyover has the West to East connectivity as well...the ramp is further inside when you take a left from the just before the HUB on the service road.

Also there is another flyover coming up near Jogeshwari station - if you go straight when you come from Powai to WEH. The traffic situation is only going to get messier at the JVLR - WEH junction once these 2 flyovers start operations.

The only solace we have is - it will be a couple of years at least before it's all done.
my apologies then I did not know there is another east-west part of the flyover. No construction is visible when I drive down that route everyday.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:47   #130
BHPian

Major JAM on ghodbunder road towards thane near kajupada junction! Seems there is an accident. Stuck at a single place since half an hour. No movement of traffic!!

EDIT: was due to a container overturning near kajupada. Being cleared now. No pics.

Last edited by carzone : 24th July 2012 at 10:06.
Old 29th July 2012, 18:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Avoid areas around azad maidan. there is a Anna Hazare rally going on. I drove to sobo from borivali this afternoon and south of sea link the roads were jammed all the way to churchgate where the trucks, buses, cars and people turned off.
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Major trafic jam at Patlipada on Ghodbunder Road in Thane yesterday in the evening. A LPG tanker had skidded near Patlipada right below the flyover (which I had seen at 7 am in the morning) and as a precaution the Waghbil flyover was closed forcing the 4 lane traffic into 2 lane resulting in huge traffic build up right from Tatavgyan Vidaypith all the way till Waghbil and further. To make matters worse the internal roads from Waghbil through Hiranandani Estate also got jammed. Was stuck in the jam for a whole 2 hrs. It took more than 8 hrs for the Traffic guys to remove the tanker and keep aside? Its a pitiable state that the traffic dept does not have any emergency team or equipments to handle situation like this.

I fail to understand why the Patlipada and Manpada flyover construction is getting so delayed. Its been more than a couple of flyovers and they are still being done.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major trafic jam at Patlipada on Ghodbunder Road in Thane yesterday in the evening.
A similar Traffic Jam was there yeterday evening on Jogeshwari Vikroli Link Road (JVLR) right from SEEPZ will Western Express Highway & then till Kandivali East.

I took me more than 1 hour on Bike to cover 12 KMS from SEEPZ to Malad West. On the same route I reached office in less than 25 minutes in morning yesterday.

Probably the traffic was due to people travelling to attend relatives in Western Surburbs & also as the news on Ghodbunder Traffic jam spread people started using JVLR for accessing Western Surburbs.

But the Jam yesterday on JVLR & Western Express Highway was very bad considering yesterday was Rakhi Day & many offices & markets were closed.

Thanks,
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took me more than 1 hour on Bike to cover 12 KMS from SEEPZ to Malad West.
Not surprising, it took me a complete 2 hours to travel a distance of 1.5 kms. It started smelling burnt clutch pads in my car, could not the keep the windows open for too long as most of the bikes in the jam were emitting the smoke.

There were some people who taken the task of trying to streamline the traffic flow but after some time they stopped it as they did not get any support from the vehicle owners.
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:33   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Not surprising, it took me a complete 2 hours to travel a distance of 1.5 kms. It started smelling burnt clutch pads in my car, could not the keep the windows open for too long as most of the bikes in the jam were emitting the smoke.

There were some people who taken the task of trying to streamline the traffic flow but after some time they stopped it as they did not get any support from the vehicle owners.
I normally travel on ghodbunder by bus. Thank God that day I decided to stay home. One of my friend faced the jam in the bus. As told to me, the traffic saw a standstill for many hours and the roads were diverted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks