Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 16:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You should seriously look at that bike option. Although a Puneite, I spend most of my weekends out there in Bombay and I always have the catch-22 situation : take my car to Bombay or not. If I don't, I have to depend on public vehicles & losing the flexibility of a personal vehicle (which I can't live without ), and if I do, take up the headache to manage Mumbai weekend traffic.

Finally am opting for an easy way-out. I'm plonking my bike in Bombay, and keeping the car for Pune usage. Win-win situation!

OT: A lot of my friends (born & brought up Mumbaikars) do not advise two-wheelers, infact several of them have just recently learnt driving! When I asked why - I always got the opinion - it's not good to drive a 2-wheeler in Bombay traffic! Instead when I used to work in Bombay a few years back, I found the bike the best option for inter-suburb travel! Yet that opinion persists very strongly till to date!

Any suggestions?
I am still contemplating getting a 2 wheeler as my office timings are 2:30PM to 12AM. It gets really hot in the afternoon, so i carpool with a friend and the last 3 kms i travel by rick and take the office drop to come home. this setup works wonderfully fo me now. I shall maybe get an Activa next year to use it over the weekends as most places in mumbai dont have a good parking for 4 wheelers.
Old 8th November 2012, 17:44   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Massisve jam on jvlr traffic heading west (towards jogeshwari). Avoid if possible. Stuck in it from SEEPZ flyover and reached Matoshri in last 30 mins.
EDIT: Turns out there is some work happening at the left had side near kalpataru. Traffic opens up after that. So if you are already stuck, please be patient till you hit kalpataru, and preferably stick to right hand side of the lane.
Possibly effecting traffic in the evening too. My father travelling in the same direction now had to take a detour to SEEPZ. Try aarey if you are heading west from powai this evening. Will tweet using #trafficjaminmumbai
Old 8th November 2012, 18:58   #168

Just to add, bylanes called as gallie are much better in evening rush routes in town. Also from VT to Sion via wadi bandar-wadala is a better option for bike owners for the evening start till 9 pm.
Old 8th November 2012, 19:04   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
this setup works wonderfully fo me now.
Ah! There's your answer. Never try to correct something that is working fine for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
The biking culture in Bombay is non-existent (unlike Pune), here the biker is considered at the bottom of the food chain. Safety-wise I would not suggest a bike, but that's me, I have not ridden a bike in the city in the last 12 years and hence may be baised against it.

However you seem to be a riding for a while now and should be able to manage without any problem. Just follow the rules and be safe.
Thanks.

Agree on the non-biking culture. Considering the condition of the traffic in most metros, I doubt it'll ever be deemed safe. Ironically I find Mumbai roads a tad safer than Pune
Old 8th November 2012, 20:11   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ah! There's your answer. Never try to correct something that is working fine for you

Thanks.

Agree on the non-biking culture. Considering the condition of the traffic in most metros, I doubt it'll ever be deemed safe. Ironically I find Mumbai roads a tad safer than Pune
Infact i feel the Mumbai roads are more dangerous for bikers as no one wants to give a way to them. This results in bikers cutting lanes and end up getting nudged by the 4 wheelers resulting into an accident (minor / major). Plus given the number of potholes we have in mumbai, it gets even more riskier to ride plus get a backache as well.

I travel 15x2 kms a day. Biking will surely kill my back and escpecially i use the Aarey colony road as the road is filled with trees and is much cooler to travel but the road condition is pathetic. Talk about compromises
Old 8th November 2012, 21:31   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My cars aren't stickered. Only reason I could sent the status update was because I was not driving today. Was in an auto.
OT: do you user any particular hashtag while tweeting? At one time I used to use #trafficjaminmumbai when I tweeted about any traffic jam.
I use #Traffic #jvlr #Mumbai #Powai

Quote:
Possibly effecting traffic in the evening too. My father travelling in the same direction now had to take a detour to SEEPZ. Try aarey if you are heading west from powai this evening. Will tweet using #trafficjaminmumbai
The traffic was jammed right upto Powai lake (going towards WEH) at 7 pm. Thankfully the other way was super smooth.
Old 8th November 2012, 21:34   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Biking will surely kill my back and escpecially i use the Aarey colony road as the road is filled with trees and is much cooler to travel but the road condition is pathetic. Talk about compromises
I get scared to drive on the Aarey roads. Full of pot-holes even when it is not a rainy season and the overtaking from the opposite sides are too dangerous specially bikers and SUV's and the BEST buses.

This is one road where I drive with my OVRM's folded in.
Old 8th November 2012, 23:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I get scared to drive on the Aarey roads. Full of pot-holes even when it is not a rainy season and the overtaking from the opposite sides are too dangerous specially bikers and SUV's and the BEST buses.

This is one road where I drive with my OVRM's folded in.
If you drive at normal speeds its quite ok. Only if you try the overtaking manouvers on the small road, then it becomes dangerous. My friend takes his Beat or M800 and we find it good to take that route because of the trees, no signals and no cops to harass us. We generally keep 30 - 40kmph on that road.

It takes us around 40 minutes to reach L&T Junction from Inorbit Mall via Aarey. We however avoid the road after dark as if we get stuck, then there is no help that you can get, even if you get a puncture, you are doomed.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:05   #174
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post.

I drive from my home in Andheri East to Lower Parel. Mon to Friday. Leave home at 07:20 and leave office at 17:00. If anyone uses the same route or work nearby I'm open to a car pool. Let me know if it suits any of our members.

Mods please relocate if necessary.
Old 9th November 2012, 14:20   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Biking will surely kill my back and escpecially i use the Aarey colony road as the road is filled with trees and is much cooler to travel but the road condition is pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I get scared to drive on the Aarey roads. Full of pot-holes even when it is not a rainy season
Hello,

I travel from Malad West to SEEPZ everyday. Earlier I used to take Aarey road, but since July the Aarey Road was really in pathetic condition. THus I am travelling via JVLR.

But yesterday I realised that there was major traffic jam on JVLR (thanks to Google Maps - Traffic) I took Aarey Road. To my surprise the road is in much better condition than what it used to be couple of months back. Though still there are couple of bad patches but in general the road is quite OK now.

Thanks,
Old 14th November 2012, 08:59   #176
Senior - BHPian

Today morning coming to office from Thane was a breeze. It was as if my Fiesta was on cruise control, steady 65 kmph. The roads were totally deserted, Eastern express highway looked empty as far as eye can see. Just wish it would remain everyday similar.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:13   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Today morning coming to office from Thane was a breeze. It was as if my Fiesta was on cruise control, steady 65 kmph. The roads were totally deserted, Eastern express highway looked empty as far as eye can see. Just wish it would remain everyday similar.
Hope that applies for western Express highway as well!
Would not be venturing out with my car as much today, but hope it remains traffic free if I need to drive today!
Old 14th November 2012, 11:29   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post.

I drive from my home in Andheri East to Lower Parel. Mon to Friday. Leave home at 07:20 and leave office at 17:00. If anyone uses the same route or work nearby I'm open to a car pool. Let me know if it suits any of our members.

Mods please relocate if necessary.
My start and end coordinates are same as yours so would definitely be interested in car pooling. Do check your pm for my details. Would be nice travelling with some like minded person. Forgot to mention: I stay in pump house and work at Kamala mills.
Old 18th November 2012, 20:59   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Started from Powai, dropped off a friend at the airport, now on the way to pune. Absolutely no trouble and minimum traffic on the roads. It's actually quite serene and beautiful to drive, considering the current situation.

Best buses are plying, but not a single auto or taxi on the roads.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:05   #180
BHPian

Had to drop off my brother at Andheri on the Western Exp Highway. No traffic at all. Smooth sailing. Out station buses are plying as usual. Saw Neeta, SRS, VRL, National all Bangalore bound and packed to capacity.

No shops open. Few are doing business from the back door. Managed to get some essentials for home. BEST buses are plying no taxi or autos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks