Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 22:38   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thane RTO plans to remove rear view mirrors in Autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Another zombie idea in the making.

Thane City RTO is planning to do away with the rear view mirrors in the Auto rickshaws. This decision is instigated from the recent incident in Thane where two girls had jumped from a moving auto when the auto driver passed some lewd remarks about them. The girls were reported to have some serious injuries when they jumped out of the moving vehicle.

Frankly I am yet to come across a IVRM in an auto. All I know is there were only the side view mirrors which mostly were inside the auto (god knows how they were being used). Would removing the rear view mirror help stop the atrocities against female passengers? I really doubt that.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46507222.cms
IRVM, the unofficial ones is what the RTO is talking about i guess. Drivers put mirrors inside the rick to keep watching their passengers. And this was mentioned to me by my wife as well that how uncomfortable she feels when she travels in such ricks. In a way, its a good move.

The only negative i see is i wont be able to catch the driver napping which happens with me atleast once in 10 days.

Talk about the risks of taking a rick.
Old 12th March 2015, 09:50   #1262
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Oh my GOD!!! Traffic at vashi toll is going from bad to worse to worst. Just when I thought that it could not get any poorer - it amazes me yet again. Today the traffic into Bombay was gridlocked from the pedestrian signal at Vashi Gaon ALL the way to the Toll.

Also, they are in the process of constructing a second row of toll collection points, which till now have come up on the easterward lane (towards Navi Mumbai). Dont know how effective it will be in reducing traffic - but someone who pays toll at the first point has to invariably wait behind 3-4 cars paying toll at the second collection point, inspite of already having paid!
Old 12th March 2015, 10:17   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
The only negative i see is i wont be able to catch the driver napping which happens with me atleast once in 10 days.

Talk about the risks of taking a rick.
I expected this comment from you. But yes, I have heard from many people that auto fellows use the inside mirror to keep an eye on their passengers. I wonder what will happen to the garish neon lighted disco autos now, will they retain their popularity for ahem ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

Also, they are in the process of constructing a second row of toll collection points, which till now have come up on the easterward lane (towards Navi Mumbai). Dont know how effective it will be in reducing traffic - but someone who pays toll at the first point has to invariably wait behind 3-4 cars paying toll at the second collection point, inspite of already having paid!
The first toll point is closed once the new row is operational, you wriggle right up to the new toll booths and pay only there.

BTW this is an experiment by MEP on us, and we are the test subjects.
Old 17th March 2015, 12:21   #1264
BHPian

Re: Thane RTO plans to remove rear view mirrors in Autos.

Quote:
Another zombie idea in the making.

Thane City RTO is planning to do away with the rear view mirrors in the Auto rickshaws. This decision is instigated from the recent incident in Thane where two girls had jumped from a moving auto when the auto driver passed some lewd remarks about them. The girls were reported to have some serious injuries when they jumped out of the moving vehicle.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46507222.cms
Frankly its the attitude of rick drivers which has to change. While all of them are not alike but i do find a few romeo type drivers every now and then while commuting in a share auto or single .

On a lighter side, Once i asked an auto driver standing on the side of the road for Thane station, he simply refused, i was waiting for another auto to come, in the meanwhile two female college students came and ask for going to station, that fellow immediately agreed and started the rick
Old 17th March 2015, 15:29   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

Oh my GOD!!! Traffic at vashi toll is going from bad to worse to worst. Just when I thought that it could not get any poorer - it amazes me yet again. Today the traffic into Bombay was gridlocked from the pedestrian signal at Vashi Gaon ALL the way to the Toll.
Now this has become regular feature at all times of the day. To add salt to wound you got additional toll at Panvel. Even that has long queue.

I don't understand the logic of collecting toll in increments beyond 20 yrs. The vashi toll started sometime in 1993 with around Rs.10. Now it has become Rs.35 one way. The number of vehicles have increased drastically, still we have to keep paying toll. If it is actually maintenance then collect nominal amount of Rs.10. Looking at the number of vehicles to-fro Mumbai that itself would be sizeabe chunk.

Toll and more Toll

MKP
Old 20th March 2015, 12:58   #1266
BHPian

Today on the Western Express highway, while on the way to office, a stone a size of a coconut rolled down from a truck carrying construction debris and hit the underbody twice with 2 distinct thumps. This happened on the South bound entrance of the Filmcity flyover. The truck was not in my lane, I was in the right most lane doing approx 50 kmph and the truck was ahead of me in the middle lane. This happened in a split second and there was no time for me to manouver the car to avoid the stone hitting my vehicle. There was space to manouver as the traffic was sparse around 12 noon.

I immediately stopped the vehicle just after crossing the film city flyover, lied flat on the ground to check for under body damage or any oil leakages. Every thing seemed fine, so carried on to my office in Powai a good another 10 kilometers.

So, i think this was a lucky escape

guys, please be vary of these debris carrying trucks as the things they carry are just dumped and not properly tied up to prevent from falling down.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 13:14   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

guys, please be vary of these debris carrying trucks as the things they carry are just dumped and not properly tied up to prevent from falling down.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Now, imagine if such a thing happens to a two-wheeler rider.. It is just so scary. And that too on the highway. I really feel sad and wonder when will Indians follow safety precautions and care for other people on roads.

-Bhargav
Old 20th March 2015, 13:57   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
So, i think this was a lucky escape
This is scary stuff. This kind of thing is absolutely criminal. Thank God there was no more damage.

I am reminded of an incident that my father in law suffered about 12 years back when he was driving on the road in Chennai. He was in his Zen following a garbage truck on a 2 lane road (1 lane each way). The J-hook on the tailgate of the truck came off and, along with the chain, came crashing down on the bonnet of his car. The windscreen also took the impact and was completely shattered, fortunately he was not hurt.

Would suggest you get the underbody checked at a workshop for any effects from the impact. Sometimes (as we have seen in various other posts on this forum itself), the damage may not result in immediate oil leakage, but dents and hairline cracks can develop which cause the parts to give way over time.

Also, keep regularly checking the fluid levels for the next couple of months.
Old 20th March 2015, 14:41   #1269
BHPian

Oh ooh
Nasty escape. God Bless.
Kindly follow principle of never following any trucks carrying stones, construction rubble, iron steel rods including the BMC garbage trucks. You never know what surprise you may be in store for as those who drive or control these operations have no ddriving ving sense.
@Dieseltuned was not following, hence we need to ensure were drive absolutely clear of these "uugh" whatever you would term them as!!
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:17   #1270
BHPian

@ Octane power , reverse_gear, vishyvish.

Thank you guys for your concerns, the truck was atleast 2 vehicles ahead of me and in a different lane then mine. I generally tend to keep a safe distance from these guys, but sometimes we get caught in unwanted situations. I will be visting the workshop to check for damages to the underbody, The car has travelled another 100 kms and all seems good, but will get it checked for sure.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 31st March 2015, 11:31   #1271
BHPian

The toll rate on the Bandra Worli sealink goes up from tomorrow onwards. Rs. 60 for one-way and Rs.90 for return. Those with prepaid balance of trips will have the tag balance updated in line with the revised toll.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:08   #1272
Senior - BHPian

A note of caution for all those who intend to visit the petrol bunks tomorrow. You might be in for surprise as the fuel pumps may go dry due to protest by the dealers. If tomorrow's one day strike does not become successful, then an indefinite stir from April 27 is planned by the dealer's association. Now not only govt holds the consumers at ransom, even the bunk dealers too have started doing so.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46853745.cms
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 11:20   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Come IPL season matches being played at Wankhede stadium and the Mumbai Police are quick to issue the traffic restrictions. The traffic curbs are in effect from today for the forthcoming matches to be played at Wankhede stadium.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46952027.cms
Old 20th April 2015, 11:20   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Finally the Kherwadi flyover thrown open to motorists on Sunday 19th April. The inauguration was done by Maharashtra CM amid fanfare. With one arm already in use since June 2014, pretty surprising the other arm took almost 10 months more to be put in operation. It is said that the flyover was completed in 6 months time which raises a few questions 1) Whether 6 months was too short time and brings up the quality issue 2) If this one can be done in 6 months, whats stops others being dragged for years?

Quote:
Motorists will now travel a seamless ride on this stretch. The Southern arm of this Rs.22-crore flyover was opened in June, 2014. Now with the Northern arm's opening, the flyover will provide six lanes for up and down traffic, providing signal free ride from South to North and vice versa thus reducing travel time and fuel cost. It will also decongest the Kherwadi and Kalanagar junctions.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-kherwadiflyover1.jpg  

Mumbai Traffic-kherwadiflyover4.jpg  

Old 20th April 2015, 11:27   #1275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally the Kherwadi flyover thrown open to motorists on Sunday 19th April. The inauguration was done by Maharashtra CM amid fanfare. With one arm already in use since June 2014, pretty surprising the other arm took almost 10 months more to be put in operation. It is said that the flyover was completed in 6 months time which raises a few questions 1) Whether 6 months was too short time and brings up the quality issue 2) If this one can be done in 6 months, whats stops others being dragged for years?
The construction of the side which opened yesterday started only after the monsoons in October/November. And it seems like a pretty simple (if you can call it that) flyover, so 6 months seems like an ok time for it. There are too many factors involved, to say what stops other flyovers from being done quickly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks