Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 20:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

I went twice, once left and once right. Right on Monday and left on Friday.
Old 14th March 2012, 21:10   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
cops handling the traffic instead of letting the signals work.
I've noticed whenever cops handle junctions there is massive traffic on every side. I don't know whether its because they just keep each side open for too long causing massive build ups on the others or what the reason is.

I don't think Bombay traffic is going to improve at all for another 2-3 years at the very least. So many roads are just dug up for things like the metro and monorail.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 14:10   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Arre bro, forget the roads being dug up for everything, the potholes and poor conditions of the roads increase the travel time and traffic as well. Look at Marine Drive today, and what it was a couple of years ago!
I personally think that at some junctions, having cops is useful. Specially because we have smart guys who will start crossing the road and jumping their lights without the presence of the cops. I've found my commute to be more peaceful with cops manning the lights. Heck, there have been times that they've shouted at pedestrians for crossing when its green light for cars.
Old 16th March 2012, 14:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've noticed whenever cops handle junctions there is massive traffic on every side. I don't know whether its because they just keep each side open for too long causing massive build ups on the others or what the reason is.

I don't think Bombay traffic is going to improve at all for another 2-3 years at the very least. So many roads are just dug up for things like the metro and monorail.
This is true when cops decide to use their common sense instead of the timings set on signals. They release one side, get distracted and continue with it for a long time. This leads to a build up of traffic on other side causing a chain reaction of jams which take a while to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Arre bro, forget the roads being dug up for everything, the potholes and poor conditions of the roads increase the travel time and traffic as well. Look at Marine Drive today, and what it was a couple of years ago!
I personally think that at some junctions, having cops is useful. Specially because we have smart guys who will start crossing the road and jumping their lights without the presence of the cops. I've found my commute to be more peaceful with cops manning the lights. Heck, there have been times that they've shouted at pedestrians for crossing when its green light for cars.

This is true too, people at 1st opportunity want to either run a red light or jump few seconds before it starts. On spotting cops people dont do it, so I feel cops should only man the junctions and let the signals do the controlling till the time its necessary to intervene.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 20:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

This holds true and I have witnessed this n number of times at the intersection of Chandivali lane and the Powai police station lane, just opp Nahar Amrit Shakti. The Chandivali lane is perennially dug up and to add to the woes, whenever there is a cop, there is a massive traffic jam. Gets even worst during monsoons.

Apart from the cops, VVIP movements, especially on the Airport road (int'l and domestic) cause huge traffic snarls.

Lately the Nakabandi on the WEH just after the airport flyover creates a mess. Maybe they have another motive behind this, so would refrain from commenting much.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

One more Road Project Delayed in Mumbai.

This time it is delay in Constructing new Vashi Bridge. MMDRA is not willing to commit funds for this new Bridge which will run parallel to existing Vashi Bridge.

Full article available here: Vashi bridge may hit fund roadblock - The Times of India

It is a real pity that Government Bodies cannot commit funds for development work in Commercial capital of India.

Thanks,
Old 15th May 2012, 15:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Similar delay fate for the Flyovers in Thane (Manpada and Patlipada). The flyovers were supposed to be open in the last week of May. Newspaper reports say it will see the monsoon. So people travelling on Ghodbunder Road, be prepared to face some real traffic snarls.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Similar delay fate for the Flyovers in Thane (Manpada and Patlipada). The flyovers were supposed to be open in the last week of May. Newspaper reports say it will see the monsoon. So people travelling on Ghodbunder Road, be prepared to face some real traffic snarls.
Hello Ghodlur,

I truly understand the plight of people travelling through Ghodbunder Road. I believe since last two years these fly-overs are under construction & further delay is real bad news.

I don't undertand the planning here. They should have ideally started constructing the fly-overs one-way & upon completion, the other side construction should start. This would have made sure that atleast one side of Traffic is not blocked. Instead what we have here is entire Road is blocked by under construction Fly-Overs & what is left is just 1 or 1.5 lanes for vehicles. And now the Project is just not ready to meet the deadlines (which are extended every six months).

Thanks,
Old 15th May 2012, 16:48   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Bombay traffic has really gone insane. The signals at Bangur Nagar, Goregoan (near where I grew up) are for cosmetic purposes only, it seems. I was there last week and on one occasion almost got totalled by a Honda City that came speeding against the red light, as I was turning legitimately (and slowly) on my green. Cars on the main road (Link Road) don't even bother stopping when the signal is red for them/ green for the ones in the side lanes.

I asked a friend who still lives there the reason and he claims it is because the BEST drivers have completely lost all discipline over the past couple of years. When I reminded him that none of the vehicles I'd observed breaking the law was a bus he said it didn't matter. According to him, the BEST is hiring drivers on contract basis these days and most of these guys are poorly trained and have a lousy attitude. They ignore traffic signals, have no qualms about taking on any vehicle in their path and in general are a menace to other motorists and pedestrians. Since they rule the road at the expense of other vehicles, car owners also begin to feel disgruntled and behave the same way. So it's a jungle out there!

I don't think I'dbe able to live and drive in Bombay again- and that is really saying a lot for someone who grew up and spent the first 25 or so years of his life there!
Old 15th May 2012, 18:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Bombay traffic has really gone insane. The signals at Bangur Nagar, Goregoan (near where I grew up) are for cosmetic purposes only, it seems. I don't think I'dbe able to live and drive in Bombay again- and that is really saying a lot for someone who grew up and spent the first 25 or so years of his life there!
Hello Noopster,

I agree 100% with you.

I stay at Malad West & the Bangur Nagar signal you have referred is really only for cosmetic purpose. I have seen every motorist breaking this signal at any time of the day. I feel Speed Breaker Bumpers at that place would have done a better job, rather than a signal.

What your friend mentioned about Best Driver's rash driving is actually true. I don't know about Contract Drivers, but their Driving skill is really going from bad to worse. Or probably their job is secured so they are not concerned. I am by no means say that other motorists in Mumbai are good Drivers, but when it comes to Best Drives they are really becoming arrogant & rude. Hope you know last month a Double Decker Bus fell on its left side killing a innocent Biker, who was due to get married next week & was out distributing wedding cards. The reason the Bus toppled was the Driver saw the Green signal turning yellow & stepped up the speed to cross the signal & took a turn at very high speed.

Finally on your comments about not possible to drive & live in Mumbai is infact shared by most of us, but our jobs & family keeps us struggling in Mumbai. If one is working in software industry, I feel Pune & Banglore (not the old city but new developed areas) are much better options.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 07:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
This would have made sure that atleast one side of Traffic is not blocked. Instead what we have here is entire Road is blocked by under construction Fly-Overs & what is left is just 1 or 1.5 lanes for vehicles.
Add to that the BEST/TMT/private buses stopping at non designated places making it much more worse for the traffic flow. This is actually incensing a lot of road rages. Just the other day I saw two car owners getting out of their cars and engaged in a fisticuff over who gives the way for the first to go. This brought the entire stretch near Big Bazaar, Majiwade to a complete halt unnecessarily making other commuters suffer. Also the pedestrians are greatly inconvinienced by the lack of space to walk or cross the road coz every inch of road space is occupied.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is actually incensing a lot of road rages. Just the other day I saw two car owners getting out of their cars and engaged in a fisticuff over who gives the way for the first to go.
Hello Ghodlur,

Road Rages are another menance that we are wittnessing in Mumbai & Thane much more than ever before.

I am now regularly seeing educated / professionals People breaking signals & showing utter disregard for people on roads or to other Cars. I see people are driving in some kind of urgency & they never let a situation pass when they can abuse other Drivers.

I don't know why but now we have better cars with good climate control inside the Car but still people are always in hot temper & ready to abuse / hit other person & bring traffic to a standstill. Notice any Car in Mumbai you will most probably see scratches on its front or rear bumpers - What does this mean? Either there is no place on roads to drive or people have forgotten systematic driving. Earlier this scratches on every car was seen only in Delhi / Pune, but now it has become a common feature in Mumbai also.

Thanks,
Old 16th May 2012, 11:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

I love Mumbai. And I used to admire the fact that how disciplined Mumbai traffic was earlier. As an experiment, I thought I will try to follow all traffic rules (even the minor ones) as far as possible.

Yesterday's experiences :

1) Halting before the white line in a signal :

Except me, every other car was standing way ahead of the line. Some bikers were even standing ahead of the signal post! Almost every biker squeezed their way ahead of my car and blocked my way. These cars and bikes were in first gear and inching forward every 4-5 seconds or so, as if they are in a drag race and have to shoot at max throttle when the signal turns green. Why cant they put their gear in neutral and rest for a while? Finally, when the timer neared 7-8 seconds, honking started! What are they going to achieve in 5 seconds? When the timer neared 3 seconds, all the cars and bikes started moving. Now this same bikers who were blocking my way was moving at a snail's pace in the right lane.

2) Will NOT move till if the signal is RED :

What's the big deal about this right? Not so simple. In smaller junctions, some people actually expect you to jump the light if there are no cops standing. They will keep honking till you move. In a particular junction, there was this Swift guy behind me who was continuously honking and asking me to jump the light. I was already irritated, so I went up to him and politely asked him to lower his glass and our conversation was as follows -

Me : Why are you honking? Cant you see the signal?
Him : Its ok, there are no cops here. You can go.
Me: If you want to jump the light, go ahead. Why are you forcing me to break the law and endanger myself and others? What will you achieve in a few seconds anyways?
Him : LOL, are you new to Mumbai?
Me : Not really, but it is because of many people like you, Mumbai is a terrible place to drive...

3) No honking :

This was the most difficult part. Forget the day, even at night, flashing was of no use. Not even a single car gave me way. In the end, either I had to overtake from the left or honk.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

5 Fly-Overs have became useless within 15 years of Construction:

Full Article here: 5 bridges already useless in less than 15 years - The Times of India

1. Aarey Fly-Over - With only 6 small lanes on a 10 to 12-lane highway, there are bottlenecks at both ends. It is possible to widen the flyover if the stretch on which it is constructed is also widened. But for this, nearby slums will have to relocated.

2. Deonar Fly-over - It is open to southbound motorists and is beneficial to those travelling from Vashi, Mankhurd and Ghatkopar. Experts say the 500-meter viaduct doesn't serve much of a purpose and is underutilized as neither the flyover nor the junction below sees enough traffic.

3. Worli Naka (between Poonam Chambers & Worli Naka) - It's open only to south-bound motorists. The flyover has become redundant after the construction of a comparatively longer and wider Lalbaug flyover. It can't accommodate the volume of traffic but can be widened.

4. Old Sion FLy-Over (Over Sion T-junction on Dr Ambedkar Road) - Two lanes are kept open for the north-bound traffic while only one lane can be used by motorists heading south. This causes regular bottlenecks and increases traffic snarls along the northern end of the flyover for motorists coming from the Eastern Express Highway (EEH). Experts say that the flyover can be widened as the road below, too, has been recently widened.

5. Old Bhyculla - It's open only to south-bound motorists. The flyover has become redundant after the construction of a comparatively longer and wider Lalbaug flyover. It can't accommodate the volume of traffic but can be widened.

It is a pity to see these bridges becoming useless because of poor planning and maintenance of roads over which they are constructed.

Thanks,
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1) Halting before the white line in a signal :

2) Will NOT move till if the signal is RED :

3) No honking :
Must admire your attempts. Mumbai is no longer what it used to be as far as traffic is concerned. Your experience must have been result of
1) Disappearance of the white line at signals over the period of time and no attempts by the traffic dept to reinstate the white lines. Whethere vehicles follow them is a altogether different matter.
2) Most of the traffic signals these days are non functional except those at critical junctions where there are cops prompting the drivers to make it a habit to jump signals.
3) Regarding honking - its no use using the dippers, most of the drivers dont know what the flashing of lights mean. The old jungle rule is applicable of all roads in Mumbai - lounder the honk, faster is the way given. Add those fancing sounding horns.
Its not only the fault of the vehicle driver but also of the adminstration which is least bothered to bring in some discipline. Having said this no way does it entitle anybody to break the traffic rules.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks