Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 21:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Disappearance of the white line at signals over the period of time and no attempts by the traffic dept to reinstate the white lines. Whethere vehicles follow them is a altogether different matter.
When there are white lines, I've seen most casual traffic offenders falling in line if not the hardened ones. The markers do make a difference and it's sad the Mumbai's roads are mostly left unmarked, especially after re-surfacing. e.g. The stretch JVLR from Powai to Vikhroli highway. Don't know how it is now, but it was a big black road surface last time I saw, and that too without street lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
One of the foremost problem in Mumbai (& India) is bad planning. Somehow the Project planners fail to gauge the market situation after 10 - 15 years. All the Roads Projects seem to be planned only for next couple of years.
And these projects take more than a couple of years to complete, by which time the projects have outgrown their capacity!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
The surface is much better and i only found tarmac everywhere, whereas Mumbai's most important roads get concrete. Needless to mention the concrete work or very badly surfaced tarmac with poor quality material used and there are undulations everywhere.
From what I know, since most of Mumbai sits on reclaimed land, concrete is better than tarmac for the roads. However, the quality of the concrete leaves everything to be desired. They still use old inefficient methods to build these roads, every block of concrete road has a different texture and even misaligned with the neighboring blocks!

I'd give the Mumbai traffic a point over some other cities though. I still find it better than say Bangalore, where there is absolutely no regard for rules. What pains me most as a Mumbaikar when I visit Mumbai is the quality of roads. I don't remember ever that the following roads have ever seen a smooth surface:
  • Sion Panvel road stretch between Nerul and Vashi
  • Road between Airoli flyover toll booth and Mulund
  • Ghodbunder road stretch between Majiwada junction and Big Bazaar junction
  • Various roads between Kurla station and BKC
  • Ghatkopar-Mankhurd link road

And many more!!

Last edited by nileshch : 27th May 2012 at 21:24.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

BMC has done it again !!

They have dug up a 200 meter stretch of road of the WEH right before the JVLR-WEH junction when we drive towards Andheri , under the JVLR flyover. Every one knows the concretisation will not be complete in an year at least but still they dug it up right before the monsoon.

Now a stretch for me from Stan C Bank building to JVLR junction which used to take 2 minutes - takes at least 25 minutes.

That is planning.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 10:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
BMC has done it again !!
Now a stretch for me from Stan C Bank building to JVLR junction which used to take 2 minutes - takes at least 25 minutes.
Hello Normally Crazy,

I pass through that stretch daily (as I stay at Malad West & work at SEEPZ) & it is indeed pain to cross the JVLR Junction.

But is it really Concretization work? Because Rains are approaching & all road works are supposed to be complete before rains.

But one thing is for sure that I have not seen anyone working (atleast in mornings) at that stretch. Also why have they blocked two lanes? They should have ideally taken up one lane for repairing & subsequently repaired the other lane.

Also the remaining road on JVLR junction is in pathetic shape. One more example of real bad planning by BMC.

Thanks,
Old 29th May 2012, 11:09   #79
BHPian

Have any of you'll been rudely pushed aside,overtaken to be cut suddenly,or continously honked at or been told to stop so that the so called 'vip' can pass in his private vehicle.
Ive seen this happen many times.The so called 'vip' have their bodyguards follow them in their private vehicle.Those guards are not official policemen nor in a official vehicle.That too is a private vehicle.
Does their higher economic status give them the priority over ownership of the road.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Have any of you'll been rudely pushed aside,overtaken to be cut suddenly,or continously honked at or been told to stop so that the so called 'vip' can pass in his private vehicle.
Ive seen this happen many times.The so called 'vip' have their bodyguards follow them in their private vehicle.Those guards are not official policemen nor in a official vehicle.That too is a private vehicle.
Does their higher economic status give them the priority over ownership of the road.
I dont stop or brake for such people, IF they are cutting me across. Unless it is an emergency vehicle or an official Govt. vehicle, I dont give way, especially to such morons.

I have got many rude stares but I choose to not look at them. I just ignore them and continue with my driving.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
BMC has done it again !!

They have dug up a 200 meter stretch of road of the WEH right before the JVLR-WEH junction when we drive towards Andheri , under the JVLR flyover. Every one knows the concretisation will not be complete in an year at least but still they dug it up right before the monsoon.

That is planning.
Quote:
Hello Normally Crazy,

I pass through that stretch daily (as I stay at Malad West & work at SEEPZ) & it is indeed pain to cross the JVLR Junction.

But is it really Concretization work? Because Rains are approaching & all road works are supposed to be complete before rains.

But one thing is for sure that I have not seen anyone working (atleast in mornings) at that stretch. Also why have they blocked two lanes? They should have ideally taken up one lane for repairing & subsequently repaired the other lane.

Also the remaining road on JVLR junction is in pathetic shape. One more example of real bad planning by BMC.

Thanks,
I work in Malad and live in Wadala. But i often have to go towards Powai via JVLR to meet my girlfriend on the way back home. (Yes I have to!)

I totally agree with your observation normally_crazy and Jignesh. It indeed takes much more time now to take the left towards Powai under the Jogeshwari flyover, and with all the BEST guys kissing each others' bumpers in the leftmost lane, it is just frustrating.

Solution:

But nowadays have started taking the route via Chakala by taking the left under the Andheri flyover. Works out to an extra 6 kms. But worth the effort as i end up saving at least half an hour. (Maybe its just me, but i just can't bear to see my car's clutch crying in the start-stop traffic)

Another option is taking a left short of the Andheri highway. Go up the Jeejamata road and then take the Mahakali caves road to join the JVLR.

As for the decision to close both lanes together, apparently the contractor feels its easier for him to level the road i.e. the two lanes properly. To hell with the traffic. (Rather when I asked him, he was like- Traffic?! What traffic??).

Basically there was no communication between the Traffic police and the Concerned authorities. The TP is only responsible for disaster management!!

Cheers!
aplang1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 12:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

People using JVLR while coming from Goregaon / Malad, Suggest you try Aarey Route. Its easier to use that stretch. Roads are kinda just ok. But you do save a lot of time and join JVLR after L&T. I use this road daily to travel from inorbit till L&T and i dont mind the 15 bucks toll as long as i avoid signals and the cops on JVLR who are always on the lookout.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
People using JVLR while coming from Goregaon / Malad, Suggest you try Aarey Route. Its easier to use that stretch. Roads are kinda just ok. But you do save a lot of time and join JVLR after L&T. I use this road daily to travel from inorbit till L&T and i dont mind the 15 bucks toll as long as i avoid signals and the cops on JVLR who are always on the lookout.
I find the Aarey Road a little scary while travelling alone in the night or late evening! And there is always a traffic jam towards the exit on L & T side due to the narrow bridge. Jeejamata Road is still the best bet as I just checked on google maps, its only 2 kms more than the regular JVLR route.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplang1 View Post
I find the Aarey Road a little scary while travelling alone in the night or late evening! And there is always a traffic jam towards the exit on L & T side due to the narrow bridge. Jeejamata Road is still the best bet as I just checked on google maps, its only 2 kms more than the regular JVLR route.
Aarey Road can be used till 9PM. There is good enough traffic on that road. Post that even i wouldnt use that road plus they close the road at 11PM. The only problem is, if your car stalls or has any issues, there is nothing / no one around to help you out.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
People using JVLR while coming from Goregaon / Malad, Suggest you try Aarey Route.
Hello Desmosedici,

Yes, I am doing the same thing since last 15 - 20 days. Now-a-days I am not taking JVLR, but going thru Aarey Road to Marol Bridge & SEEPZ.

But the concern is approaching Rains. Come rainy season & Aarey Road will be like moon surface, full of pot holes. During rains, we will have no option by to take JVLR. Probably at that time, suggestion of Jeejamata Road will help.

Thanks,
Old 29th May 2012, 14:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Desmosedici,

Yes, I am doing the same thing since last 15 - 20 days. Now-a-days I am not taking JVLR, but going thru Aarey Road to Marol Bridge & SEEPZ.

But the concern is approaching Rains. Come rainy season & Aarey Road will be like moon surface, full of pot holes. During rains, we will have no option by to take JVLR. Probably at that time, suggestion of Jeejamata Road will help.

Thanks,
I will still take Aarey since i have my gypsy now. Else Aarey would rough up your car suspension.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that I am not the only one suffering alone !

Aarey road is an option - but these days I am actually scared to drive through the Aarey road. No, not because of the wild animals or the robbery cases we keep hearing - it's simply because of the way people drive in there.

It's a 2 lane road - one each way. The bikers are forever trying to overtake anything from the right coming into the incoming lanes, followed by these SUV's specially the Scorpio and Xylo's driven by those sons of the soil with their number plate in illegal fonts and language and pitch dark tinted glasses.

This is the only road in Mumbai I drive with my OVRM's folded.

The Jeejamata road is an option but there too the road work is on and with it having 1500 times more people on the road than vehicles, doesn't seem like a good idea. I tried it on Sunday and it was choc-o-block.

Is there any other way to avoid the bottle neck ?

Maybe taking a u-turn under the aarey flyover and then going towards Andheri just as you exit the JVLR flyover, take a left onto the service lane and then go under the WEH back towards Goregaon and take a right on JVLR. I think I will try this today.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Good to see that I am not the only one suffering alone !

Aarey road is an option - but these days I am actually scared to drive through the Aarey road. No, not because of the wild animals or the robbery cases we keep hearing - it's simply because of the way people drive in there.

It's a 2 lane road - one each way. The bikers are forever trying to overtake anything from the right coming into the incoming lanes, followed by these SUV's specially the Scorpio and Xylo's driven by those sons of the soil with their number plate in illegal fonts and language and pitch dark tinted glasses.

This is the only road in Mumbai I drive with my OVRM's folded.

The Jeejamata road is an option but there too the road work is on and with it having 1500 times more people on the road than vehicles, doesn't seem like a good idea. I tried it on Sunday and it was choc-o-block.

Is there any other way to avoid the bottle neck ?

Maybe taking a u-turn under the aarey flyover and then going towards Andheri just as you exit the JVLR flyover, take a left onto the service lane and then go under the WEH back towards Goregaon and take a right on JVLR. I think I will try this today.
Well you could try driving the wrong way but i must warn you that you will face a lot of these sons of the soil that you just mentioned above (most of them taxi-wallahs) along with the autorickshaws and two-wheelers who just would not give you way. Btw they take this service lane just so that they do not have to wait at that one signal under Jogeshwari flyover.

Another thing, there is a police post right next to the signal under the flyover. They could catch you driving the opposite way. All the best sir!
Old 29th May 2012, 16:56   #89
BHPian

@ Normally_crazy - Find a parking spot near green fields (opposite erstwhile fantasyland). As there is bus depot there, maybe hitch an ac bus or take a rick to the StanC building and
same manner on the way back to pick up your car to get back home.

I travel from malad to mahakali, and have quit using the JVLR road. I take the Jog Flyover and go via Sher-e-punjab colony. I do use the JVLR route to go back to malad though.

Hopefully the work is done fast and we get better than it used to be.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 17:23   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I travel from malad to mahakali, and have quit using the JVLR road. I take the Jog Flyover and go via Sher-e-punjab colony. I do use the JVLR route to go back to malad though.
Hello,

So you take the Jogeshwari Fly-over & then take a left turn towards Sher-e-Punjab colony.
I believe this road meets MIDC after Nelco stop before Tunga Restaurant, correct?

Is there traffic on this road in mornings? If I want to reach SEEPZ, shall I take this route (JVLR Fly-Over - Sher-e-Punjab - MIDC Road - SEEPZ)?

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks