Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:57   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

Pics of toll booths getting ready, in one toll booth saw a signboard mentioning that non FastTag vehicles will be charged twice the toll amount if they use FastTag lane.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-suh_0516.jpg

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-suh_0533.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:58   #47
BHPian

I notified on the first toll coming from Salem on NH7 towards bangalore that non fastag vehicles entering fastag lanes will have to pay double the toll. Do you guys think that this is enough of a deterrent to vehicles? Don't you think that some vehicles will start using this as some kind of premium lane by paying the double toll and thus defeating the purpose of this concept?
Old 5th May 2015, 14:27   #48
BHPian

The Point of Sale Location is already updated in the website.Did anyone get their hands on it http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Ba...page?#toptitle
Old 5th May 2015, 14:47   #49
Team-BHP Support

Is there a list of Toll Plaza's where this tag will work as of today. And a list of planned toll Plaza's to get this?
Old 5th May 2015, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is there a list of Toll Plaza's where this tag will work as of today. And a list of planned toll Plaza's to get this?
http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Ba...page?#toptitle

Nothing in south India as of yet and no POS locations beyond ahmedabad, vadodra and mumbai.
Old 12th May 2015, 23:02   #51
BHPian

Great progress. One of the first sections that needs to be done is the L&T section towards palakkad. 4 or 5 tolls where you have to wait it out and show the receipts.
Hope they get other banks involved for ease of use.
Old 13th May 2015, 01:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
What happens if i sell my car and forget to remove the RFID tag from it. The next user will enjoy free toll for as long as he uses the car?

...They could/should also send us a monthly bill/statement like they do for some utilities.
When I sold my car, it had the OBU/ (on-board-unit) for the BETL flyover and I retained it in the car for the new owner. I believe the new owner had to just re-charge when the current balance ran out. The recharge method was a manual process until last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Such a system is in place in the elevated highway at Bangalore. It may not be perfect but it works. ..... What the toll operators have done is to mark a lane exclusively for the RFID holders. It is generally closed by a barricade. A sentry is placed there, who would open the barrier when he spots a vehicle with RFID approaching. There would be a delay of around 10 seconds here. Then the vehicle moves on, the boom barrier opens up automatically (less than 3 seconds) and vehicles zooms past. The same track is used to clear ambulances, police & VIP vehicles.

Toll booths should have dedicated lines for RFID holders. And perhaps have a penalty (extra toll collected manually, with a fine) if a non-RFID driver acts smart and tries to through the RFID enabled counter. And off course what is required here is good media campaigning. ....
I have used the RFID/OBU on the BETL stretch often. I recall that on a couple of occasions, I had to wait for the car ahead to clear the automated lane and I strongly believe that the scanner has deducted the amount twice from my account.

So i'm wary of being billed twice at the same point and pass through the scanner. They have to make the billing part fool-proof.

For those who enter into automated lanes without RFID, imposing a penalty of double the amount or collecting the fee manually will nullify the purpose of the automated lanes.
There has to be a sentry to ensure that only RFID users enter this lane, the violators need to be compulsorily directed to the manual queue and start at the very back . Only the prospect of facing additional delays by going to the back of the manual queue for violators will keep them clear off the automated lanes meant for RFID users. Imposing fines will not be an effective deterrent. It can create additional chaos and delays in the automated lane if the violator starts to argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
ICICI is charging a fee for every recharge and also service tax. So be prepared for another 15-20% hike in already exorbitant tolls

Along with Fastag, government should think of implementing certain things like
1. Every toll receit should have the government order based on which toll is collected.
User should be able to verify the same at NHAI website
2. It should clearly mention toll is between X and Y place instead of X km to Y km
3. It should also contain rate/km along with duration of the contractor

These three will go a long way in ensuring accountability in toll system which is lacking now.

Another example, ...a guy going to mantralayam has to pay toll for Gooty-Kurnool section even if he is not traveling on the road.

Totally agree, they have to place the toll booths logically so that users don't end up paying an exorbitant amount when they are not using the toll road or using for a very short stretch.

Clear and transparent billing is an absolute must with billing records easily accessible online to the user.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th May 2015 at 01:28.
Old 25th May 2015, 15:58   #53
BHPian

Saw many lanes marked with FAStag at many toll booths between Bangalore and Salem when I took a trip over the weekend to Salem. Got curious and inquired at L&T booth office, thoppur. I was told that it will take another 2 months for the system to get operational. It will be a welcome relief if it gets implemented in this busy stretch soon. (It took 25 mins to cross krishnagiri toll on saturday at 7 pm )
Old 25th May 2015, 22:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering how the system is going to decide whether the toll has to be deducted for single or return journey when travelling through the Fastag lane. Will there be any mechanism to identify the vehicles returning within 24 hrs based on the RFid and deduct only the difference amount (between single and return journeys) on return or will the single way fare be deducted both times?
Old 26th May 2015, 15:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Just wondering how the system is going to decide whether the toll has to be deducted for single or return journey when travelling through the Fastag lane. Will there be any mechanism to identify the vehicles returning within 24 hrs based on the RFid and deduct only the difference amount (between single and return journeys) on return or will the single way fare be deducted both times?
Though it is logical to expect such implementation, I doubt they will really do it. Also the implementation of return journey concept is different at certain booths. eg) At attibelle toll gate, the return journey should be within the same day (before midnight) and other booths it is 24 hrs from the entry. So to avoid complications, I think they will launch the system only for one way journey.
Old 26th May 2015, 16:10   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
How the balance based system currently works in BETL in Bangalore is simple.

The daily pass is valid till 12 midnight. Lets say you pass the booth once. It deducts full amount applicable for one way journey. If you return back and pass this booth before 12, it will again deduct only the balance amount which you otherwise would have paid for a daily pass.

Ex: Its 45 for one way and 65 for 2 way. On passing the gate first, it deducts 45. When you pass the gate again on return before 12, it deducts 20. After this you no amount will be deducted irrespective of the number of times you cross the booth.

I am the sure that a system is in place and will be smart one to detect the No of entries and exits and accordingly deduct the amount.

Note: I am talking about RFID Tags under which you have a balance based system.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th May 2015 at 16:12.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 21:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am the sure that a system is in place and will be smart one to detect the No of entries and exits and accordingly deduct the amount.

Note: I am talking about RFID Tags under which you have a balance based system.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Good that they have this sorted out. Also the customer is having an advantage that you pay return fare only if you return(that too only the difference amount and not single * 2). In the manual toll booth, you have to say upfront whether you want a one way or return pass, so if you are not sure of your return time, you could lose some amount. Now if only they had some mechanism to use the in built RFID tags on vehicles already equipped with it, rather than having to purchase another one.
Old 26th July 2015, 08:16   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Advertisement in today's paper.
GQ Chennai - Bangalore section Fastag inauguration today.

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-img_20150726_081201.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 08:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Advertisement in today's paper.

GQ Chennai - Bangalore section Fastag inauguration today.

[

Good news. Hope there will be no more wasteful waiting of upto 1 hr each in attibele and krishnagiri toll booths.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:43   #60
BHPian

Good to see that FAStag is slowly getting expanded.

The ICICI FAStag website shows only the few branches from north selling the tags.
http://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/CUS...osOutlets.aspx

What are the options to buy the tags in the south?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks