Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 18:57   #16
J.Ravi

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

A few days back, I wrote an email to the Chairman, NHAI with copy to many top officials on [i] charging two single way toll instead of a concessional return toll, if the return journey takes place within 24 hours at Vaniyambadi and Pallikonda toll plazas in TN and [ii] charging for the issue of a new FASTag sticker to replace a non-functional sticker and not refunding the amount contrary to the repeated assurances by ICICI Bank customer care. I was not hopeful of any action by NHAI, but surprisingly, I received this email this afternoon, indicating some action is being initiated on my complaint.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastagcomplaint2.jpg

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastagcomplaint3.jpg

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastagcomplaint4.jpg

We reached Chennai just after last midnight from Bangalore via Arani and as usual, we got a free pass-through at Krishnagiri toll plaza!

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag15082016.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th August 2016 at 19:02.
  (11) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 15:01   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There been lots of discussion about Fastag procurement and usage. Hence thought will put across a detailed description about the same.
Thanks for sharing, mpksuhas . Moving your superb post to its own thread so that others benefit from it.

Also adding your new thread to the homepage.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:10   #18
BHPian

I remember I had studied it earlier. If I remember right, there were some charges involved. Is it still worth it?
Alternately, do you have a calculation for Break Even Point? For example, how much should be the monthly toll that I am anyway paying to make it worth it?

Thanking you in advance,

Girish Mahajan
Old 17th August 2016, 16:35   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Is it still worth it?
Alternately, do you have a calculation for Break Even Point? For example, how much should be the monthly toll that I am anyway paying to make it worth it?
The charges are minuscule (Rs.250 + taxes) in comparison to benefits that are invaluable especially in terms of time and hassle-free movement through tolls without having to worry about cash and small change. And the tag can be charged via online bank transfer, so very convenient.
Also there is a 10% cash-back announced this year so it's a no-brainer if your driving route includes tolls that are FasTag enabled. I bought the tag just for highway drives into and out of Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 17th August 2016 at 16:38.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 17:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The charges are minuscule (Rs.250 + taxes) in comparison to benefits that are invaluable especially in terms of time and hassle-free movement through tolls without having to worry about cash and small change. And the tag can be charged via online bank transfer, so very convenient.
Also there is a 10% cash-back announced this year so it's a no-brainer if your driving route includes tolls that are FasTag enabled. I bought the tag just for highway drives into and out of Bangalore.
Dear NPV,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So, I have to earn the Rs 250 + taxes from the 10% cash back. Therefore, if I do Rs 2500 toll payment, then at least I have covered the initial cost. Since I pay Rs 195 x 2 per month - say Rs 400, this means that 2,500 / 400 = 6.25 months is required to break even! That is interesting. I hope they have something equivalent to this cash back in the next year onward too!

Note: I have to also recover the taxes. AND I have to recover the interest loss on my money!

In my opinion, this will look MORE interesting, as and when they provide 'real' dedicated lanes.

Anyway, thanks once more for the prompt reply.

Girish Mahajan
Old 17th August 2016, 17:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear NPV,
In my opinion, this will look MORE interesting, as and when they provide 'real' dedicated lanes.
As NPV already mentioned the time saved and hassle free experience thorugh fastag lanes more than makes up for the 250Rs deposit. Also where the fastag readers doesn't work properly you are allowed a free pass mostly (read the old fastag thread) if you purely looking at the monetary angle for benefits. The system is not perfect yet with some plazas having dedicated lanes and some having dedicated lanes but allowing regular vehicles. But once you experience it you will never want to go back.
The discounts are 10% in first year, 7% in 2nd and 5% in third that are announced so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
A few days back, I wrote an email to the Chairman, NHAI with copy to many top officials on [i] charging two single way toll instead of a concessional return toll, if the return journey takes place within 24 hours at Vaniyambadi and Pallikonda toll plazas in TN and ....
This is because L&T toll plazas have a problem with collecting the difference for return journey. I believe Vaniyambadi and Pallikonda are L&T ones. Please see the response from icici on the same below.
Attached Images

Last edited by ssateesh : 17th August 2016 at 17:30.
ssateesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 19:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
I finally had my first Fastag use recently on the Mumbai Pune Expressway when I got to experience this.
Is it valid on the Mumbai entry points, i.e. Vashi / Mulund / Airoli / Dahisar?
Old 17th August 2016, 20:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few days back, I wrote an email to the Chairman, NHAI with copy to many top officials on [i] charging two single way toll instead of a concessional return toll, if the return journey takes place within 24 hours at Vaniyambadi and Pallikonda toll plazas in TN
So is the expectation that the system will automatically identify & charge incrementally

1. if a return journey is made within the same day?
2. if multiple trips are made within a day ??
Old 17th August 2016, 20:58   #24
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
1. if a return journey is made within the same day?
Yes. I experienced this at Attibele and Electronic City toll plazas, when returned within 24 hours.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastag21072016.jpg

Quote:
2. if multiple trips are made within a day ??
I have not done multiple trips within 24 hours. Ideally, it should be applicable for multiple trips also with zero deduction for the third trip onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Please see the response from icici on the same below.
Yes, it is out of jurisdiction of ICICI Bank; so, they are helpless. That's why, I brought this problem to the notice of the Chairman, NHAI and down below. Let them do the needful. When Attibele and Electronic City toll plazas could do it, why not Pallikonda and Vaniyambadi and others? Rule is the same for all the concessionaires. L&T cannot claim exemption from this rule. When the concessionaire provides concession for the cash payment, why not for the FASTag customers?

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-pallikonda.jpg

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-vaniyambadi.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th August 2016 at 21:15.
  (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 21:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have not done multiple trips within 24 hours. Ideally, it should be applicable for multiple trips also with zero deduction for the third trip onwards.
Do we have any option for multiple trip? The one which is available is "Return Trip", this means for the third trip you will be again charged with the full amount of a single trip.
Old 17th August 2016, 21:18   #26
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Do we have any option for multiple trip?
I remember, I saw the words 'multiple trips' in the tariff board in many toll plazas. I don't know, whether that 'multiple trips' have now been reduced to 'return trip' only now.

Old 17th August 2016, 21:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Do we have any option for multiple trip?
As per my understanding, multiple trip pass; the one valid for 24 hours is applicable only for a single two way trip.
Old 17th August 2016, 23:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There been lots of discussion about Fastag procurement and usage. Hence thought will put across a detailed description about the same.
Couple of Questions:

Is there any other conventional way like cheque / in-person to recharge the fast-tag other than online methods (just to avoid inconvenience fee).

Is there a validity for the amount loaded, i.e. if I recharge for 500 today and I don't use it for 2 years, would 500 still remain or would it expire ?

I have a front windscreen sun film - Is it okay, If I have the tag dangling, instead of pasting it, assuming I don't mind, stopping, and pointing the card towards the Scanner.
Old 17th August 2016, 23:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Is there any other conventional way like cheque / in-person to recharge the fast-tag other than online methods (just to avoid inconvenience fee).
It is possible to do a NEFT transaction. Since NEFT can be done for free from some accounts online it could be possible to avoid convenience fee.
Else, you could get the NEFT done through your bank branch. However I guess that would have separate charge from your bank side.
I haven't checked the NEFT option still, however from the steps mentioned one has to mention the amount and a challan is generated, based on that payment is done. This may not be a continent option since each time new payee may have to be added.

Quote:
Is there a validity for the amount loaded, i.e. if I recharge for 500 today and I don't use it for 2 years, would 500 still remain or would it expire ?
Validity period like what mentioned above is not listed anywhere even in your account page . Hence I don't think it's an issue as of now. Also, in this case bank is holding on to your money and deposit. So I don't think they would be worried about the same.

Quote:
I have a front windscreen sun film - Is it okay, If I have the tag dangling, instead of pasting it, assuming I don't mind, stopping, and pointing the card towards the Scanner.
It's fine to stick it behind sun film. On receiving the tag, I didn't a trial run by attaching the tag to end of a long tape, hanging the tag from IRVM. It worked fine that way.

RFID doesn't require a line of sight to work, hence no worries. There was post from a TBHPIAN that his tag was detected from his bag lying in car .
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 09:37   #30
BHPian

Reposting this from the other thread...

Guys,

Need a clarification. I applied for fastag through ICICI branch. The bank executive collected all the paper work from me and I have received the account numner in sms. I am yet to hear from him on the tag.

However with the account number I was able to register and login to icici fastag site. Over here I see that my licence plate listed has a missing letter. Instead of KA51Pxxxx, it is showing as KA51xxxx.

How to get this corrected?

Most Viewed