Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 07:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Is it valid on the Mumbai entry points, i.e. Vashi / Mulund / Airoli / Dahisar?
I have seen dedicated ETC lanes at Vashi, Airoli and Mulund. Usually non tag vehicles are not allowed in this lane. While Airoli is not a bottleneck, it might help at Mulund and Vashi.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 08:24   #47
BHPian

Last weekend I did a Delhi-Chandigarh-Delhi route and all tolls now have a dedicated fasttag lane. The only problem is that it is open for all cars and not just the ones with tags. The cash lanes seemed shorter than the fasttag lane. I asked the attendant and he replied that because of the traffic, they had opened this lane to all public.

Well, isn't the whole purpose of this lane to help the people with tags avoid traffic, and give some incentive to others to follow suit by accentuating the processing speed?

The Panipat toll didn't even have the sensor working. So, I had to pay cash there. I think there is still a long way to go before the administration actually understands the purpose of these tags.

Last edited by AZ911 : 19th August 2016 at 08:25.
Old 19th August 2016, 09:53   #48
Team-BHP Support

It is pathetic to hear that FASTag is so unreliable. I remember using E-ZPass in NJ since the 90s in many cars, I can't recall a single time where it didn't work.

Almost 20s years later we are using technology that works only half the time? What a shame!
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 10:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As per my understanding, multiple trip pass; the one valid for 24 hours is applicable only for a single two way trip.
Multiple trip and return trip are two different thing and its depends upon each toll operator. For eg, BETL tolls or VELANCHETTIYUR toll clearly says its multiple trip, In fact BETL website very clearly says,

Quote:
A vehicle using both the Elevated Road in the Electronic City Section and Ground Level Road in Hosur Section and crossing Attibele Plaza more than once in 24 hours can purchase a Daily pass by paying 1.5x single trip rate for both Sections and use both sections for unspecified number of trips across all toll plazas during the validity of the Pass.

In the first passage, Single Ticket value is charged
For Second passage in the same calendar Day , the difference between the Single Ticket and Daily Pass value is charged
No charge for subsequent passages during the SAME Calendar day
For Velanchettiyur toll,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It is possible to do a NEFT transaction. Since NEFT can be done for free from some accounts online it could be possible to avoid convenience fee.
NEFT has convenience fee of 15 from FASTag account side, even if you have free NEFT from sending bank. As of now the cheapest options are online transfer from ICICI/AXIS which are fixed at 13, irrespective of recharges amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is pathetic to hear that FASTag is so unreliable. I remember using E-ZPass in NJ since the 90s in many cars, I can't recall a single time where it didn't work.

Almost 20s years later we are using technology that works only half the time? What a shame!
I'm not sure, Is it something to do with active(EzPass) vs passive(FASTag) one? Nevertheless, i'm daily user of FASTag and i follow strictly the steps mentioned in the NHAI website and so far its not failed for me. The steps very clearly says, fix the tag in center of windshield as much as high and maintain at least 10 meters distance from the vehicle before you.
Quote:
The user shall enter the earmarked FASTag lane at approximate speed of 25-30 kmph and maintain at least 10 metres distance form any vehicle ahead of you
Of course i had few free pass mainly in ATTIBELE, thats because of vehicle which follows me does not maintain enough distance

As of now in FASTag system the main issues are, toll operators not following the rules strictly and non FASTag users occupying FASTag lane.
smnrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 11:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
As of now the cheapest options are online transfer from ICICI/AXIS which are fixed at 13, irrespective of recharges amount.
I think the cheapest option is recharging through credit card. I recharged for Rs 200 and got charged a fee of Rs 2.53. But i may be wrong since i didn't recharge for higher amount than Rs 200.

Cheers
Old 19th August 2016, 11:28   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Is ICICI the only bank which issues the Fastag or do other banks issue it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Axis bank also provides. I took from ICICI, in my case they were willing to come and collect the documents. They came back to fix the tag to car. All this at my place. With Bangalore traffic, this worked better for me.
As per the information in NHAI website, its only ICICI bank along with few toll plazas and NHAI offices.

http://www.nhai.org/POS.asp
Old 19th August 2016, 11:38   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm not sure, Is it something to do with active(EzPass) vs passive(FASTag) one? Nevertheless, i'm daily user of FASTag and i follow strictly the steps mentioned in the NHAI website and so far its not failed for me.
Yes, the E-ZPass tag was nearly an inch thick, it is an active tag. So there was no steps to take. Just drive though at around 10mph and it will be read every time. If you go faster, the gate may not open in time for you.

By using passive tag in FASTag, they have made a mess out of it.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I think the cheapest option is recharging through credit card. I recharged for Rs 200 and got charged a fee of Rs 2.53. But i may be wrong since i didn't recharge for higher amount than Rs 200.

Cheers
Yes, its based on transaction amount for other than ICICI/AXIS netbanking.

Quote:
Just drive though at around 10mph and it will be read every time. If you go faster, the gate may not open in time for you.
This was the step which i was referring and i follow everyday in EC & ATTIBELE tollgate . Boom never failed to open in these tolls.

Quote:
By using passive tag in FASTag, they have made a mess out of it.
Based on my experience, i dont think its mess. As i mentioned in the previous post, its just the toll operators make mess of it like not positioning the RFID scanners in proper way.
Old 19th August 2016, 12:32   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the issue here is due to transaction done in real time by the tag. I am not sure how EZ pass in US works, however friends in Dubai had told that the tags there doesn't debit money in real time. Even if your balance is nill when you reach the booth, you can pass through. However, you will have to pay a fine along with your next recharge. This makes everyone maintain minimum required balance in their account.

Since vehicle tracking is not that easy in India, may be this system may not be feasible here.

So each time you drive up to be a Fastag enabled booth following process happens - Your tag is detected > Payment authenticated online > Toll booth boom barrier opens. I guess this payment part is what delays the process.

Else, RFID is used for timing marathon runners in almost all major events (Including Bangalore marathon). Even with hundreds of people crossing each checkpoint together, the tag readers are able to read proper timings.

Quote:
Multiple trip and return trip are two different thing and its depends upon each toll operator.
I was not aware that you can do multiple free travel using daily pass in BETL. My understanding is that they would allow only a single two way travel.

Yes, as mentioned by you BETL considers calendar day for calculating 'One day' compared to 24 hours for other toll booths on NH7.
Old 19th August 2016, 12:43   #55
BHPian

I got the FasTAG from BETL office in 10 mins flat. The cost came to 200 refundable deposit + 200 for the RFID, and 100/- as usable balance for toll payments. Total paid :Rs.500.

The ICICI guy posted at the BETL office said, there will be 10% discount for the FY 2016-17. Also written on the application form.

Not started using it yet, will see how it works with the elevated road from Monday. Another guy from our office is already using, and he says the initial glitches are all sorted out, and is working well.
Old 19th August 2016, 12:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Posting the link to download the Fastag application form for the benefit to those who want to apply for one.
http://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/CUS...Downloads.aspx

I have a query regarding the address proof. My current address is different from the permanent address. For the current address I have registered document for my rented house and the same is present in the RC of the car for which I need the Fastag. My driving license,Passport and Aadhar card bears the permanent address. I presume they would be sending the RFID by post?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 19th August 2016 at 13:15. Reason: Link found, posting it for the benefit for those who want to apply.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 13:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Posting the link to download the Fastag application form for the benefit to those who want to apply for one.
http://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/CUS...Downloads.aspx

I have a query regarding the address proof. My current address is different from the permanent address. For the current address I have registered document for my rented house and the same is present in the RC of the car for which I need the Fastag. My driving license,Passport and Aadhar card bears the permanent address. I presume they would be sending the RFID by post?
Yes, they will consider your permanent address also. As long as at least one document (preferably issued by Govt.) lists that address
Old 19th August 2016, 14:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching the fees and charges for recharging FASTag through different means.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-capture.jpg  

kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 15:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I think the cheapest option is recharging through credit card.
NEFT has convenience fee of 15 from FASTag account side, even if you have free NEFT from sending bank. As of now the cheapest options are online transfer from ICICI/AXIS which are fixed at 13, irrespective of recharges amount.[/quote]

Quote:
QQ - does anyone know, if we can recharge the FASTAG account through cheque similar to credit card or mobile bills. Can we drop a cheque at ICICI bank telling pay ICICI ETC A/C # 12345678 and assuming I am good waiting for 2-3 days for the cheque clearing formalities.

OR - can we recharge through cash at any point (Toll plazas / ICICI counters etc) ? At the end of the day FASTAG is an account (similar to credit card / mobile phone).

I know that the fee is not much but still I feel there should be a free option available and it shouldn't be "mandatory" to pay the fee through recharge options.

In fact - in tday's world - cheque processing / online is offered free of cost, whereas something like cash deposit at counter is chargeable. So I feel there should be a inconvenience-fee-free option too.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th August 2016 at 15:50.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 16:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
QQ - does anyone know, if we can recharge the FASTAG account through cheque similar to credit card or mobile bills. Can we drop a cheque at ICICI bank telling pay ICICI ETC A/C # 12345678 and assuming I am good waiting for 2-3 days for the cheque clearing formalities.
They may still deduct the service charges . All said and done ICICI is not helping FasTag scheme (launched by the government) for charity. See how their DSAs are running around quickly processing the FasTags. ICICI is expecting to build a strong client base from which they would get a small %-age of money regularly.

So all said and done, ICICI may offer its banking customers some reduction in the service charges, but others would have to pay the higher charges. Things may only change if other banks also reach an agreement with GoI and say that they also would help roll out the FasTag.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks