Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:03   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If one has to have these scanners in the left most lanes, then the whole idea of "portability" goes for a toss. Am sure these scanners keep changing desks within the booth based on where it was used last.
Is there any reason why they can't have several scanners, perhaps one per lane to cater to those lost souls who end up in the non-Fastag lanes?

Back in December, at Paliyekkara - when the currency shortage was at its peak - I wanted to pay by credit card. The whole toll complex apparently had only one POS device, which was at that time in use at the other end (someone going the opposite way). I had to wait for about 10 minutes for the device to reach my lane.
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:08   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is there any reason why they can't have several scanners, perhaps one per lane to cater to those lost souls who end up in the non-Fastag lanes?
If they have scanners in all lanes or more than one lane at least, then our educated drivers who are regulars will beat the system and the dedicated FASTag Lane and get into any lane. In that case, the whole purpose of having a dedicated lane is lost.

Secondly, although this is a good idea, the scanning part done manually really needs some effort based on where the sticker is pasted and the type of the vehicle. Often the person has to get up and walk out to scan unless there is another person standing outside (which is a rare case).

With the popularity of these Tags expanding to not just cars now, I am for having at least 2 FASTag lanes - One strictly for Trucks and Buses and other one (Less wider) for cars only.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd February 2017 at 16:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:11   #618
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Should be possible - already some tolls like the Mumbai-Pune expressway (all lanes can be used by FasTag cars) support this. I've also noticed that at Jadcherla (Blr-Hyd) toll and the two tolls enroute Trichy (from Karur) also support FasTag without a dedicated lane.

Even the Thoppur toll has FasTag in the left most non-FasTag lane which is why you will see that some members have posted saying you can always try leftmost lane if the dedicated FasTag lane is full.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:12   #619
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Got my Fastag for my Safari from Airport Toll at Devanahalli last week.

They have a POS selling ICICI Fastag.

Simple walk in process.. DL, RC , and a photo plus Rs 500 cash.

Contact person : Srinath
Mobile: 90356 13830
v&v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:44   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Got my Fastag for my Safari from Airport Toll at Devanahalli last week.

They have a POS selling ICICI Fastag.

Simple walk in process.. DL, RC , and a photo plus Rs 500 cash.

Contact person : Srinath
Mobile: 90356 13830
Few of us got it at the Devanahalli toll Plaza few weeks back as soon as it became easily available.

Quote:

As on 2nd Feb, 2017:

However, I have got his name and number and anyone planning to visit, please call and confirm the availability before going. For me, it was just a 15 minute drive from Yelahanka .

Srinath - 7204551337
Quote:
FASTag availability at KIAL, Devanahalli Toll Plaza:

I got mine today spending 20 minutes and it was activated instantly too. I am yet to test the same but I am sure this will be functional and won't give me any trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Should be possible - already some tolls like the Mumbai-Pune expressway (all lanes can be used by FasTag cars) support this.
Having handheld Scanners or having all lanes with Automatic readers like how it exists currently on FASTag lanes wherever applicable?

In General, the Mumbai-Pune Expressway traffic is very dense on any given day but one thing that most would have noticed is their efficiency in dealing with the rush - Vehicles in all lanes move quicly as opposed to most of the other NHAI Plazas seen.

Secondly, the density of cars taking this route in both directions is much higher too apart from the fact that there are regular Airport Cabs doing runs in both directions and not to forget the usual Shivneri and Private Buses between Pune and Mumbai.

Makes a lot of sense to have more than one lane equipped with Automated Scanners here.

Quote:
I've also noticed that at Jadcherla (Blr-Hyd) toll and the two tolls enroute Trichy (from Karur) also support FasTag without a dedicated lane.
Too new to FASTag experience unlike you but are you referring to Automated scanning, validation and opening of the barrier or a Handheld device? I am sure you certainly meant the former here. If so, this is indeed good.

Quote:
Even the Thoppur toll has FasTag in the left most non-FasTag lane which is why you will see that some members have posted saying you can always try leftmost lane if the dedicated FasTag lane is full.
Again, I am confused. Is it that the leftmost lane has will have a handheld scanner handy or that these lanes will have the automated scanner like the FASTag lane?

I was thinking the left lane logic was to do with the Hand-Held scanner that works as an alternate in cases where you enter a Non-FASTag lane or the FASTag lane itself non-functional due to some maintenance work.

Needless to say as I have mentioned earlier, having multiple lanes to complement as additional lanes for FASTag is the need that will address coming years.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd February 2017 at 18:50.
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:50   #621
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again, I am confused. Is it that the leftmost lane has will have a handheld scanner handy or that these lanes will have the automated scanner like the FASTag lane?

I was thinking the left lane logic was to do with the Hand-Held scanner that works as an alternate in cases where you enter a Non-FASTag lane or the FASTag lane itself non-functional due to some maintenance work.
At all the tolls I've mentioned there are automatic scanners and boom barrier is opened when you stop near the toll booth (not using hand held scanners). If I remember correctly, I'd posted details of these specific experiences in this thread earlier.
However, I don't think all tolls have automatic scanners on left most lanes, but some do and others may just make do with the hand held device

Last edited by NPV : 23rd February 2017 at 18:52.
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:54   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
At all the tolls I've mentioned there are automatic scanners and boom barrier is opened when you stop near the toll booth (not using hand held scanners). If I remember correctly, I'd posted details of these specific experiences in this thread earlier.
Thanks NPV, this is indeed super good.

So I was indeed confused because there are responses here where they were mentioning about Hand-Held scanners in the left most lane and not the Automatic Scanners that you clarified now :

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In such situations, try the left-most lane. They normally have the hand-held scanner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Will try it. I have seen people with that hand held scanner, but I had thought it to be local pass scanner. Since the Extreme left lanes if for those having local pass.
And having handheld scanners in left most lane - I am still wondering about the logic behind the mention of its availability only in leftmost lane although having automated system in the left most lane or lane next to FASTag makes sense. Handheld to me means Portability and an alternate if you barge into a Non-FASTag lane with a FASTag.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd February 2017 at 18:56.
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:27   #623
BHPian

Regarding Mumbai--Pune expressway, aren't there only a total of four dedicated ETC / Fastag lanes ?? The last I noticed there were two for each direction. @NPV you might throw light on this
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:29   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Regarding Mumbai--Pune expressway, aren't there only a total of four dedicated ETC / Fastag lanes ?? The last I noticed there were two for each direction. @NPV you might throw light on this
Both toll plazas on Mumbai - Pune Expressway, all lanes are equipped with Fastag scanners. I take this route 2-3 times a week and have personally verified in almost all lanes at both Khalapur and Talegaon. This was also informed to me when I got the Fastag at Talegaon POS.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:24   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The last I noticed there were two for each direction.
I have noticed only one ETC lane in Pune - Mumbai direction. Not sure if the count is different in other toll booths. Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Both toll plazas on Mumbai - Pune Expressway, all lanes are equipped with Fastag scanners
Yes. I noticed the same while waiting in queue in ETC lanes. All lanes had LED display which was mentioning 'Invalid Tag' for non Fastag / ETC vehicles which were paying by cash.

So while on way back, for Mumbai -Pune side I took the lane which had least traffic. However, my Fastag was not detected. Toll attendant informed that it will work properly in ETC lane only, however he allowed me to proceed without payment.

There were comments by other members that tag detection was an issue irrespective of ETC / Non ETC lanes in expressway.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:28   #626
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I heard about this from my friend few months ago (probably posted earlier on this thread about it). It was a surprising discovery for him because he traveled to Pune from Navi Mumbai and on the way applied for and got a new FasTag, loaded with Rs.1000 as well. He was told it could take about 24-48 hours to get activated. Next day, on his way back from Pune, he was ready with cash at one of the Cash lanes and the attendant at the booth told him his FasTag was recognized and amount deducted. The attendant mentioned that FasTag is recognized at all the booths.

Last edited by NPV : 24th February 2017 at 12:29.
Old 24th February 2017, 13:18   #627
Senior - BHPian

Okay, so after multiple unsuccessful attempts, I have given up any hope of a 'representative' coming over to collect documents and deliver the tag to me. So, my query to this group is - which is the most convenient way to get a FasTag for my car in Bengaluru?

Thanks in advance...
Old 24th February 2017, 13:34   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Okay, so after multiple unsuccessful attempts, I have given up any hope of a 'representative' coming over to collect documents and deliver the tag to me. So, my query to this group is - which is the most convenient way to get a FasTag for my car in Bengaluru?

Thanks in advance...
Please look at the previous few pages and you will get your answer , Rather right on this page itself!!

In Bangalore, the Airport Road Toll before Devahanalli has been a successful option in the past few weeks.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:15   #629
Senior - BHPian

Made another quick trip home. Summary;
Onward leg, journey made at 0400Hrs
Attibele toll - no problems at all. Smooth movement.
Krishnagiri toll - a truck ahead took around 3 minutes to finish the toll payment. Either he did not have a tag (tricked the security guard) or his tag was not being read.
Thoppur toll - another trailer truck which was on the FasTag lane took nearly seven minutes to clear. Again, either he did not have tag or the sensor was not able to read the tag. Entire purpose of FasTag defeated, and we actually lost more time thanks to this moron of a truck on the front.
Omalur toll - again a truck on the FasTag lane with the same issue, but he cleared off in around 3 mins time.
Vaigundam toll - smooth sail
Vijayamangalam toll - the FasTag vehicles now actually move through the road next to their office. On seeing the tag, the sentry opened the barrier. But there was no one there with the hand held scanner. Just went ahead. The incidents due to the trucks on the various FasTag also had riled me up.
Kaniyur/Avanashi toll - smooth sail. Again truck ahead on the lane, but it did clear off quickly.
Walayar toll - smooth sail.

Return leg, journey made at 1400Hrs (from Palakkad suburbs)
Walayar toll - smooth sail.
Kaniyur/Avanashi toll - smooth sail.
Vijayamangalam toll - no dedicated lane for FasTag. They have dug up the lane for the last three months. Perhaps it is time to complain about this one to NHAI. Joined the bus lane (extreme left). The operator gave me the hand held device to do the scanning of the tag, and let me through. Time lost - around 3-4 minutes, mainly due to slow moving vehicles ahead.
Vaigundam toll - a local private Indica cab wanted to go through the FasTag lane. The arguments and counter arguments, helped us in wasting around four minutes of time. Then when we entered the toll lane, it was a smooth sail.
Omalur toll - No dedicated lane for FasTag. The FasTag lane was used by all and sundry. If the vehicle had a tag, it just moved on quickly. Or they have a chap waiting at the side, who would collect the toll and let the vehicle pass. Me being truely lucky had around 4 vehicles ahead of me, none of them had FasTags. Again, took around 5 mins to clear.
Thoppur toll - Time was just after 1900Hrs. The vehicle queue was long, and had some difficulties in manouvering into the FasTag lane. Again, it was a free for all. Some vehicles had FasTags some did not. Also here, I noticed that majority of the vehicles which did have tags were trucks and trailers. Lost nearly 7-10 minutes out there. A friend's vehicle, which was around 3kms ahead of us, had joined the non-FasTag toll queue some 11 minutes before us, and they got out earlier than us by around 2-3 minutes.

By then, I had given up hopes on Krishnagiri & Attibele tolls. Decided to opt for the Palacode-Rayacottai route (saved on MapMyIndia as my Plan B option). Took the Palacode exit at around 1920 only to land up at Attibele circle at 2105Hrs. My navigator checked up the status of Krishnagiri & Attibele toll booths on Google Maps. It predicted around 20 mins lead time at Krishnagiri and 15 minutes lead time at Attibele.

Summary
1. If trucks are going to be the major customers for FasTag then smaller vehicles would have fun manouvering the dedicated toll lanes. The much more nimble cars would have to use the lane used by the slowest vehicles out there, to get the FasTag benefits.
2. FasTag at present has more benefits when driving at non-peak hours. No great difference noticed at Toll booths which get extremely crowded. Without real dedicated lanes for FasTag, no great amount of time is saved. The positive part is that people need to carry change in case they have FasTag.

Last edited by sachinpk : 27th February 2017 at 12:18.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:16   #630
BHPian

I used the fast tag lane at devanahalli airport to pay toll on 26th Feb around 1 AM but it was not working.

I entered the fasttag lane and the signal showed Green but the barrier did not open.The security guy asked me to take reverse and try again but that didnt work either.Then he requested me to pass thru the next lane which was a Non Fasttag lane and the toll attendant used the handheld scanner to scan the Fastag.I asked the toll attendant why the FASTTAG lane was not working but he didnot have any answer

I had succesfully passed through the same fasttag lane @Devanahalli 3 months ago.

Most Viewed