Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 14:41   #301
BANNED

Just a thought: What happens when I put some other signature(Not my original one) on the slip and later claim a fraud transaction?
Old 24th February 2010, 14:51   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Just a thought: What happens when I put some other signature(Not my original one) on the slip and later claim a fraud transaction?
Ha ha, a no brainer really, you are still liable to pay since you did not report to the bank with in 24 hours of the transaction that your card was lost/stolen! How come someone else used your card if it was not stolen?
Old 24th February 2010, 15:35   #303
BANNED

lol.. why will I claim fraud transaction, when I will have the card with me.

Ofcourse I will make sure I have an FIR (after doing the wrong signature) and before claiming fraud transaction.

EDIT: Not particularly me talking in general
Old 24th February 2010, 16:33   #304
BHPian

Quote:

Ofcourse I will make sure I have an FIR (after doing the wrong signature) and before claiming fraud transaction.

Familiar with Debit cards only but in that case, they are expected to verify your signature on the slip with that in the card. If there is difference, you can expect to land up in police custody.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:01   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Familiar with Debit cards only but in that case, they are expected to verify your signature on the slip with that in the card. If there is difference, you can expect to land up in police custody.
They are supposed to verify, but in most cases don't. My card has my mug shot on it, when I fill petrol for my bike wearing a full face helmet with the visor open (but wearing sun glasses inside), the PSU bunk guy taking the card from me will do a facial comparison (!) without even telling me to take the helmet off! But in the Shell bunk they do check the signature.

@Ranjan Sharma
The stakes will be too small to do what you suggest, it can't be more than a couple of thousand Rupees in a petrol bunk. If you buy a high value item and then try to pull a fast one, that is a different matter! Generally every merchant establishment will have a pre-approved limit for which they can simply swipe the card. Beyond that value, they will have to take telephonic approval from the bank. This will differ from one place to another. The bank guy will ask the merchant to hand over the phone to you, ask you a few personal details and after satisfying himself it is really you, give the approval number to the merchant. If you doubt me, go to a jeweller, buy jewels for a couple of lakh rupees and then hand over your cc for billing!

Last edited by Gansan : 24th February 2010 at 17:06.
Old 24th February 2010, 18:28   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If you doubt me, go to a jeweller, buy jewels for a couple of lakh rupees and then hand over your cc for billing!
Very True. Good example & I've experienced it too
Old 24th February 2010, 18:37   #307
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Guys. Enough of this credit card OT. Let's go back to how we get cheated in petrol bunks and not how credit card users can cheat (which rarely or never happens).
Old 25th February 2010, 13:56   #308
BHPian

The HP bunk at Tingre Nagar, Vishrantwadi in Pune has this divert-cheat style attendants. I was filling 1000/- Rs petrol and the second guy diverts my attention at around 800/- I turn my head and just because of some reason, turn it back. So the second guy asks me something again about my car and as I turn my head, the filler continues for a few seconds and by the time I turn back, he has moved to the biker next in line. After a while of driving, I realize that the counter is reading a little less.
The next time, I rivet myself to the counter and the second guy intervenes. I don't pay attention, he tries again. I still don't pay attention so he touches me on the shoulder trying to distract. This time I get the right fuel.
Also, they would tell you to take your vehicle more forward so you have to crane your neck to see the counter. Just after halfway, another guy comes to the other side and distracts you.
If you get down from the car, these people would ask you to sit in the car and they'f fill the fuel. Some relatives of Harishchandra, eh?
Old 25th February 2010, 22:39   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
I still don't pay attention so he touches me on the shoulder trying to distract.
That is crossing the limits. This sure warrants a reaction similar to what Spitfire did.

Why would one want to go back to that station again?
Old 25th February 2010, 23:03   #310
BHPian

@delta_wing - they seem really hell bent on fooling people - this is exactly the bunk one needs to stay away from !
Old 26th February 2010, 02:33   #311
MX6
Senior - BHPian

HP pump near McD at hinjewadi, pune. Guy asks me "kitna bharna hai"?
I tell him to fill the tank. My eyes riveted on the reading. Zero is set, the guy puts it on auto mode to fill and moves away.
I'm watching the counter tick away. After 15 liters are filled another attendant comes and asks me
"Kitna bharna hai?"
I ignore him
He asks me again.
I answer, "It's getting filled automatically. You can serve some one else".
I don't take my eyes off still.
He asks me again.
"But I have to stop the filling accordingly".
I still keep my eyes on the counter and ask him, "when the tank gets full doesn't it stop automatically?"
He still has the nerve to ask me, "Card pe kitna charge karna hai?".
I've not given him the credit card yet.
With my eyes rooted on the counter, I answer him. "pehle bharne to de".
He goes away.
34.5 litres later, the moron comes and takes my card.
This was the first time I filled there. That would be the last as well. I'm sticking to my tried and trusted Bharat Petroleum at Wanwadi.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:23   #312
Senior - BHPian

MX6, why do you answer him? Just switch off your ears to other human voices.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:31   #313
Senior - BHPian

Once me and my friends were returning from Sultan Shah mosque on Sunday. I needed a fill. I pulled up to a bunk, opp Sagar Apollo (now Sagar Hospitals) and asked everyone to get out of the car near the meter. The attendants got the message, and no one dared to throw in any questionnaire except for the basic, "How much".
Some times we need to get the message through regardless of where the bunk is a nice one or not. I do not have time to judge. Filling has become such a big deal now a days.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:52   #314
Senior - BHPian

@MX6 - Fantastic approach & it should definitely be the first & last there - agreed. You know what? Now days, when you say will it not shut automatically, they say, there's some problem in the nozzle it doesn't shut off automatically, so don't know how to handle such tricks.

@prince_pervez - Good idea & works out superb when there're bunch of friends; Unfortunately I go all alone to fill up; never mind, I usually get down & do like what MX6 does - glue both my eyes to the meter & the guys hands holding the nozzle.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:29   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
if that's the case, then when, where & how does the CC companies & bank make money?
Banks has different type of transaction with fuel stations when you use credit cards. Hence they wont deduct money from the merchant. I believe that should be the reason most banks charge you 2.5% as surcharge.

Only premium cards and special credit cards are exempt from this surcharge. All other normal credit cards will carry this surcharge for fuel transactions and will be charged in your monthly statements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks