Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 12:02   #16
BHPian

If alone, I use speaker phone. It is then like talking to the co-passengers.
Only thing to be taken care is, while taking the phone and pressing loudspeaker button, the eyes gets distracted.
If not alone, I always ask the co-passenger to take the call and inform them that I am driving.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Satish, quite a relevant post. After being fined consistently by cops there was no option but to get a bluetooth headset. And, my routine is before i enter into the car , I stick my BT to my ear like an apppendage and it stays on all through my drive and receiving calls is pretty easy as i just need to press the button but, if i need to make a call then i pull over to the left side or slow down considerably then dial the call and throw the phone on the passenger seat and there i go, safe and sound.

If you remove and replace the BT again and again on your ear, then buying a BT does not make sense.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Don't really use the mobile much. Get maybe 1 or 2 calls a day, which would be mostly telemarketers. So no urgency to answer the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Never talk when driving. No matter whether you have a hands free or, hook-up your phone via BT to your HU, talking requires lot more attention (and hence are more distracted) than when just listening. Even listening alone is a sufficiently big distraction.
Very correctly said. Read somewhere that unlike the car radio (which is one-way), phones require us to be interactive, which can distract us even when we are just listening.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Before I had a driver I used to use a bluetooth handsfree. Because I have long hair that covers my ears well, no one could see it.

Once I got caught, as I am generally an expressive and emotional chap and I was talking animatedly. When he pulled me over, while parking I removed the handsfree and threw in under the seat. This was before i was a member here.

Sam: Kya hua Bhaisaab?
Policeman: Aap mobile phone pe baat kar rahe the
Sam: Nahi, sir, kahaan? Phone toh andar hai
Policeman: Handsfree pe
Sam: Nahi, mein toh gaana gaa raha tha.
Policeman: Aap musician hai?
Sam: Yes sir.
Policeman: OK OK jao.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:13   #20
BANNED

Bluetooth is best option if you dont have Bluetooth ensue that you are wearing head-phones
Old 14th December 2007, 12:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sam
You are just too much..!!
Old 14th December 2007, 12:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Before I had a driver I used to use a bluetooth handsfree. Because I have long hair that covers my ears well, no one could see it.

Once I got caught, as I am generally an expressive and emotional chap and I was talking animatedly. When he pulled me over, while parking I removed the handsfree and threw in under the seat. This was before i was a member here.

Sam: Kya hua Bhaisaab?
Policeman: Aap mobile phone pe baat kar rahe the
Sam: Nahi, sir, kahaan? Phone toh andar hai
Policeman: Handsfree pe
Sam: Nahi, mein toh gaana gaa raha tha.
Policeman: Aap musician hai?
Sam: Yes sir.
Policeman: OK OK jao.
Sam you can be easily passed out as a musician infact a rockstar with your long hair and also ear ring jewellery and i would say this makes you a very quick wit.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Satish, quite a relevant post. After being fined consistently by cops there was no option but to get a bluetooth headset. And, my routine is before i enter into the car , I stick my BT to my ear like an apppendage and it stays on all through my drive and receiving calls is pretty easy as i just need to press the button but, if i need to make a call then i pull over to the left side or slow down considerably then dial the call and throw the phone on the passenger seat and there i go, safe and sound.

If you remove and replace the BT again and again on your ear, then buying a BT does not make sense.
Even i follow the same process and been doing it from the last 2-3 yrs no regrets till yet !!
Old 14th December 2007, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ford was good enough to provide a free bluetooth car kit to all Fiesta buyers in March, so I got my Nokia CK7W kit for free. It costs around 8.2K.
I have the ability to accept or reject calls, or dial the last number dialled from my mobile. But it does not have a caller id, so I generally accept the call and tell 'em to call later as I am driving.
Works fine with me. On highways however, I do talk on the bluetooth for long, depending on the urgency of the call.
The only hassle I've faced is calls from placement consultants when my colleagues are taking a ride in my car--I quickly tell 'em to call later
Old 14th December 2007, 13:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Viper, I checked your site for the Parrot products.
What are the prices of this CK-3100 and other similar products from Parrot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

I use a Parrot CK-3100 universal Bluetooth hands free Car Kit setup in my car. Works great for me as I am constantly on the move. It works with all Bluetooth phones and also pairs automatically without having to press any buttons and comes with a Caller ID display.

Calls be answered/rejected at the press of a button or via voice operation and since it is connected to the vehicle power supply does not need any kind of recharging.

Viper
Old 14th December 2007, 13:50   #26
BHPian

The best option is to make the call in less than 10 secs.. say that u r driving..
If its too urgent and high priority (say needs immediate attention), answer it by parking to a side.
It's best to take a few secs to park than to end up in ICU
Old 14th December 2007, 13:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here is an extract from the site of :
Mumbai Traffic Police

FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING
Q) Can I use mobile phone while driving?
As per rule 250 (A)(1) of Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, use of mobile phone is prohibited by driver while driving or riding a motor vehicle (including two wheelers).
Q) Can I keep my mobile phone switch on while driving?
If you are alone in the car, you shall switch off your mobile phone while driving any motor vehicle.(Section 250 (A)(2) of M.M.V.R.1989)
Q) Can I use hands-free or any other accessories of mobile phone while driving?
No. (As per rule mentioned above.)
Q) Can other occupants of the motor vehicle use mobile phone?
Yes. Other than driver, occupants of the motor vehicle can use mobile phone.
Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.
Q) What is fine or penalty for using mobile phone, while driving?
As per section 177 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, using mobile phone while driving fine is Rs.100/-. But, if it causes further inconvenience or is hazardous to the road users, then the driver may be fined for negligence driving, for which fine is Rs.1000/- and compounding fee is Rs.500/-.
Q) Can I get refund on fine?
If a fine is recovered as a cash bail deposit and if you appear in the court, it may refunded or deposited as per court order. If cash is taken, as a compounding fee, then it is non-refundable as the case it self is disposed off on the spot. (Sec.200 of M.V.Act1988).
Q) If I don't have money to pay fine, what is the procedure?
As per Sec.206 (2) of M.V.Act, 1988,if you will not pay fine, your driving license may be impounded in lieu of temporary license permit, which is issued by the official handling the matter.
Q) If I am a doctor; can I use my mobile phone in an emergency while driving?
No. Exemption is not given to any one in the M.V.Act or Rules regarding this and all are same in front of law.

It says, the Mobile Phone must be switched off when driving. Also note that the phone cannot be picked up by parking the car to the side of the road.

Last edited by adya33 : 14th December 2007 at 15:41.
Old 14th December 2007, 14:33   #28

Attending a call distracts me a lot even with handsfree. So if I am with someone I ask them to take it. If I am alone and driving in the city, I call back after I stop somewhere; in highways I quickly glance at the caller number and if it is important I pull over to take the call.

I thought talking on the phone when driving is illegal. But someone mentioned that having the mobile on when driving alone is itself illegal!
Old 14th December 2007, 15:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

How different is talking on phone with handsfree to talking with passengers in the car? Forget about the rules for a minute, ideally is there any difference? In both of them you could loose your concentration mid of conversation. Is anything proved scientifically?
Old 14th December 2007, 15:51   #30
BHPian

I mostly ignore the calls while driving, not only because it distracts my attention but also because it spoils the taste of pan masala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks