Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 14:43   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Do you want to Publish or Do you want your Work to get Published?
Me? I'm just a writer. I wouldn't mind some of my work getting published though. Why do you ask?
Old 12th March 2009, 14:47   #167
Senior - BHPian

Aha , on that note, what about the Blog you were planning SAM?

O.T. Sam , need to talk to you , will give you a call in a day or two.
Old 12th March 2009, 14:50   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Aha , on that note, what about the Blog you were planning SAM?
I have planned a site called www.YetiLife.com. I am not sure if I want it to be a standard blog site, wordpress or similar.

I have no clear idea and no time. When I do have time and an idea, I will set it up.

Sometimes I think I want a website, sometimes I think it'll be a blog. Sometimes I realise I love forums so much that I would probably just want it to be a forum, full of topics of life. I don't know. I'm not savvy with web design and ideas. Tanveer helped me greatly with whatever time he had. I was not happy with this wordpress thing.

I think I'll need help and ideas at some point. But that is another story, lol.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th March 2009 at 14:52.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:03   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam, I'll do your work, Just write.
The work you do is pleasure for me anyways.!
Guys, note that Sam cleverly ducked my 'generous' offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have planned a site called YetiBlog®.
Wasn't this some time ago?

Start a blog it wil atlest let you pen down yout thoughts.

Once you have that blog you can add to the blogs by writing small mash-ups and linking them to the various blogs so people get even more involved.

You really need to talk to Rehaan and some of the techies on this forum and leaverage their knowledge to pepper your blogs and make them into an expereince instead of a 'just' a very good story.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:09   #170
BHPian

Sam. a blog can be almost like a forum. You can still have people commenting on your stories, you can post comments back to them. The difference is that the story will be told first, and then all the comments will come up. Other than that, both are pretty much equal.
You can quote other users too, like you do in forums.

PS: If you need help with a wordpress install (server space, install, config, etc. I am horrible at design and I usually just stick to stock templates), just PM me, I'll be glad to help. Got a huge server and nothing to fill it with
PPS: The wordpress version on Tanveer's server is quite outdated. The latest one is 2.7.1 (I think), which is faster, easier to use and also to keep updated.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:57   #171
BHPian

Hi Sam, ever since i joined TBHP, i have been a sucker for your blogs. Like the others, this one was fantastic too.

Must have been quite a harrowing experience back then.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:18   #172
BHPian

Sam, I asked because in one of your earlier posts, you sounded like you wanted to Publish !

Quote:
Me? I'm just a writer. I wouldn't mind some of my work getting published though. Why do you ask?
Wouldn't Mind? Lol - that sounds like you are doing a favour.
Take it easy - am not pointing a finger though.

I may be of some help - let me know if you are serious.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:26   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Wouldn't Mind? Lol - that sounds like you are doing a favour.
Take it easy - am not pointing a finger though.
Oh I'm easy.

It's merely a phrase Murali. It's like saying "I wouldn't mind being a millionaire". Sorry you didn't understand it.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:29   #174
BHPian

Wow, what a fantastic adventure. Keep em coming Sam.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:52   #175
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for another great story, Sam! Your future kids are sure lucky to have a great storyteller for a Dad.

Quote:
... I wouldn't mind some of my work getting published though...
Quote:
I have no clear idea and no time. When I do have time and an idea, I will set it up. ...
You have got it down to an art. Especially this last one was just like (maybe better than?) hearing it from you directly. You should start on this.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:07   #176
BHPian

Congrats!!

All is well that ends well isnt it?

Quote:

I was so angry with the Germans for making us go through all that nonsense that one day, amny years later I stole one of their best women and took her away to India.
What a way to take revenge!!
I wish you and your dear wifey have agr8 life ahead.
Old 13th March 2009, 03:34   #177
BHPian

Sam baba you are one great storyteller, you make mundane experiences in life sound so interesting !

Today my electrical science coursework was getting the better of me, so all I did was put some metallica/apocalyptica/evanescence/schiller along with this story and tadaah all stress gone !
Old 13th March 2009, 15:17   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
I will comment more on that when the story is over.
Keeping my promise lol. And I must defend my fellow Germans a little, too!

While it clearly was an adventure, fortunately with a happy end, I must say that this whole incident is clearly based on cultural differences and the lack from both sides to understand the other.

1. Yes, Germans have rules for such incidents (how else could it be lol) which normally make it very easy to sort such problems. In any case, Germans are obliged to have certains insurances, especially car owners. In addition most of the Germans have a so-called "Haftpflichtversicherung" = general liability insurance that comes up for those kinds of things. As it is such a normal thing to have (though I did not but then again I would know how things work if something like this would happen) the policemen obviously automatically expected the same of the Kapasis. As they do not have such insurance: Confusion!

2. It happens very few times to a policeman, I guess, that he is confronted with such an unfamiliar situation, so a certain helplessness and eagerness to sort things in the correct "German" way would have added to the problem from the police side.

3. Foreigners not carrying any passport? No way! Even for Germans it is mandatory to carry an ID card.

While I am not denying that it must have been truly irritating and annoying for Sam and his father, it must have been the same for the Germans. Person trespassing law and causing damage, not being able to identify himself and not being able to come up for it either.

On the other side, the Kapasis: irritation and confusion about the fuss for such a small little mistake, not being able to understand the entire problem and even more, the language, haha.

In any case, they did the right thing by bringing in the mediator - though it is questionable if he really was a lawyer. In the end it must have been too much trouble for the insurance company to bother about the Kapasis any longer. Too much bureaucracy, too much time and money wasted that way. Since Sam's Dad was fined with jaywalking only the mistake was again the Alfa's in the end lol.

And btw, nobody can make you pay for a car damage before it has not been taken to a garage or repair service and a proper estimate is given. That is a fact!

Anyways, good story Sam! And thank God you are under my personal protection now so this cannot happen again!
TheOne® is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2009, 15:30   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Yes, Germans have rules for such incidents
Indians have rules too the difference being that few of them are followed.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:42   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While it clearly was an adventure, fortunately with a happy end, I must say that this whole incident is clearly based on cultural differences and the lack from both sides to understand the other.
Absolutely no denying that. My emphasis was on the story, not on the Germans themselves.
It is a credit to the Germans that at no point did we feel that we were being conned or cheated, a feeling that can happen in any Indian law or law-breach situation.

Quote:
In addition most of the Germans have a so-called "Haftpflichtversicherung" = general liability insurance that comes up for those kinds of things.
Clearly if you can pronounce that, you have got to be German. Clever move, lol.

I'm sorry German officer, here is a copy of my haftipotty, uhh my halflingy, uhh.. OK you can arrest me now.

Quote:
And thank God you are under my personal protection now so this cannot happen again!
Madame, I am the Yeti. A terrifying chest-beating cross between a Neanderthal Anthropoid and a great ball of hair. The earth trembles and little children pee when I walk.

I am clearly not under your protection. Be afraid. ROOOOAAARRR.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks