Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 21:27   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road accident- suggestions sought on course of action

20K to 1.5lacs for a fractured rib can only be possible if the lung is also punctured along with other injuries. This is outright robbery.
I am not delving into whose fault it is but as far as the action of security official as well as the injured biker is concerned, it sounds very fishy.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:23   #527
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

If you do not have to go to film city on a regular basis simply refuse to recognise/acknowledge these chaps and if they persist deny ever being there and let them prove your physical presence at the spot.

Sounds cunning, sure that is the intent and an apt response to these guys shenanigans.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:39   #528
BANNED

Re: Road accident- suggestions sought on course of action

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
On the 12th of May, 2015, I was driving to office inside film city Mumbai, and at the last right turn before office, I was just into the turn when a motorcyclist tried to rush past, hit the front corner of my car and crashed.

After a couple of hours, the film city security officer gave me a call saying that the motorcyclist had a fractured rib. Expense of Rs 20k was expected.

Today I got another call from the motorcyclist's colleague saying that the expenditure was actually going to be Rs 1.5 lacs, and he asked me what they should do. I said it was not possible for me to pay and that he should file a case against me.
Stay away from that chap!

1) Overtaking from the left side is wrong specially when it has happened on an intersection for vehicles making left turn and the marks on your car should prove you innocent.

2) If the guy calls you again or tries to bribe / trouble you, take him to the police station and file an FIR. Lets see if the case will continue!

If that guy had so much sense of calling you names for not using the indicator before initiating a left turn, why in the first place did he try to overtake you from the left hand side? Where did his common sense go at that time?

If the sum of money requested went up from 20K to 1.5 lacs within 2 days of the incident, it clearly shows things aren't green on the other side. Rib injury or for that matter any kind of injury should show up within few hours if not complete pain. That itself should have made the guy alert and call you instantly if the injury to him was genuine.

The guy and the security officer would have come to some kind of understanding to share the amount between them so the reason that officer is poking his nose in between.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:57   #529
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need advice after Accident

Please be the first to file an FIR, that would give you first mover advantage if it ever goes the legal way.

After that, even if there's any compensation due from your end, it's upto your insurance provider via a third-party claim, which seems unlikely to hold up given this person got hurt during a possibly illegal maneuver.

DO NOT agree to anything including any sort of 'settlement' meetings or cash payments, that just makes you look guilty and opens you up to further harassment. As for the shady security officer, ask him to bugger off or better yet, tell him you're naming him a witness to the 'incident' and watch him run.

Do the right thing and if it involves paying compensation, do it the right way through insurance. Don't let idiots take advantage of misplaced guilt.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 21:57   #530
BHPian

Spark rear bumper hit

So my Spark gets her first hit in its ownership since November 2010.

Its 5.30 pm and peak hour has started to set in. I just stop cleanly and smoothly, behind the line of cars, at a red signal at Peddar Road when suddenly this Golden Honda City, driven by a young guy, hits the right side of my rear bumper. As usual, he says sorry and wants to leave when i ask him to park to the left hand side. I exchange contact details and he 'advises' me to use my insurance. I say, i will use my insurance, only if you are ready to foot the bill. He 'reluctantly' agrees and we proceed to our own respective destinations. I launch an Own Damage claim with Bharti AXA within 15 minutes. No FIR/ 3rd party claim launched.

My insurer is Bharati AXA and i have a 0 Dep plan. My last insurance amount was Rs 7,864/- with a 45% NCB (Rs 3,360/-) and is the last year when i am elligible for 0 Dep since the car will turn 5 years old in November 2015 and no 0 Dep will be applicable hereafter.

What should be the ideal course of action that i am required to take? Would it have been better if i had not raised a claim and settled it with the help of a local mechanic, with making him foot the bill?

Mod Note: Kindly Merge/Move the thread to the relevant section, if required.

Need advice after Accident-img_20150529_185113edit.jpg

Need advice after Accident-img_20150529_185122.jpg

Need advice after Accident-img_20150529_185128.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2015 at 08:27. Reason: Inserting images in the post
Old 29th May 2015, 22:19   #531
Team-BHP Support

Re: Spark rear bumper hit

That doesn't look bad enough for a replacement. Only a disfigured bumper with no breakage visible. Get it removed and inspected just to be sure the supporting beam underneath isn't bent and the holding clips/bolts are intact.

Should be fixable with straightening and a touch up (if paint chips off while repairing the shape). Not worth an insurance claim unless there's significant damage underneath (unlikely), esp. so if the other party agreed to foot the bill.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 22:19   #532
BANNED

I am not sure this requires any major expense at all. Probably a local garage tinkering guy can get the bumper back into shape and a little buffing and polishing should do. It is not worth the NCB you are going to loose.

Make sure this is paid for by the guy who did this to your car.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 22:44   #533
BHPian

Thank you for your prompt replies Chetan_Rao and ILTDrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not worth an insurance claim unless there's significant damage underneath (unlikely), esp. so if the other party agreed to foot the bill.
The reason why i want a quote from the surveyor is to get a proper evaluation done of the total damages and i can forward this to the party to foot the bill. Otherwise i wouldn't have opted for the insurance claim. In any case, can the claim be cancelled at this stage?
Old 29th May 2015, 22:54   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

The insurance claim for plastic and rubber parts is 50 % of the actual costs of the spare.

http://www.carwale.com/forums/17147-...insurance.html

So if you claim insurance , you lose out on "No Claim Bonus" and also on reimbursement of the full cost.

Hence , its best to get the work done by a plastic spare denting workshop (there are many these days). The bumper thereafter will need a paint coat. Sometimes the whole bumper requires to be repainted for matching. Painting only the dented patch could leave the finish showing two generations of paintwork.

And get the cost reimbursed by the Honda City guy who hit your car. After getting the repair estimate, please talk to this guy and inform him.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th May 2015 at 22:58.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 23:02   #535
BHPian

This can be easily repaired by heating the bumper with a hot air blower, and pushing it back to shape from the inside. A few scratches here and there, would be leftovers, though. No point claiming insurance at all.

I doubt though, if the other guy would be decent enough to pay !
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 23:20   #536
BHPian

Thank you for your replies anjan_c2007 and lapis_lazuli !
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The insurance claim for plastic and rubber parts is 50 % of the actual costs of the spare.
I have a 0 Depreciation Plan which should take care of the plastic and rubber parts 100%, minus the compulsory deductible of Rs 1,000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I doubt though, if the other guy would be decent enough to pay !
This is the worst part that anyone has to encounter. If one makes a mistake, he should be courteous to own up. This still lacks everywhere!
I didn't get into a fight or anything. I explained the matter to him in plain simple words. I just wish he pays up. Keeping fingers crossed !
Old 30th May 2015, 00:07   #537
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
So my Spark gets her first hit in its ownership since November 2010.

What should be the ideal course of action that i am required to take? Would it have been better if i had not raised a claim and settled it with the help of a local mechanic, with making him foot the bill?
I had a similar kind of damage on my Swift when a bike had hit the rear bumper at the same area.

Look at this - The damage

I to thought of going the insurance route but later went and did the repair without using the insurance as the loss will be higher.

The repair

I replaced the bumper and painted it, total expense 6K. So I advise you to get the bumper replaced and repainted.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 00:23   #538
Senior - BHPian

Would you completely rule out using a deep threaded screw through the bumper and pull it with a plyer (then unscrew it) to get the bumper back to near original shape ?

With the current plan, either way you're gonna spend a bit anyway.

I don't think the 'structural integrity' of the bumper will be completely demolished by a small screw-hole. Plug it with a rubber maybe.

Rgds

P.S. : Oops, just read he's ready to pay. :P

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 30th May 2015 at 00:26.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 07:57   #539
Senior - BHPian

You are lucky that there is no major paint damage (just a few scratches). The dent is just on the fibre part, which can be removed by heating and moulding it back in shape. No colour loss.

I had a similar hit on my Beat and the dent removal costed me way less than 1k. If you take the insurance way, they would inflate the costs to 2-3k (even more) and then you would loose your NCB also.

I would advise to cancel the claim and get it fixed at a local garage. Should not cost more than 1k I believe. See if you can get this out from the guy who hit your car. He would be happy to pay such a less amount.
Incase there is any loss of paint during the dent removal, that can also be corrected easily since your's is a white colour car.

Here is my experience:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3203293

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 30th May 2015 at 07:59. Reason: Added Link
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 20:13   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I had a similar kind of damage on my Swift when a bike had hit the rear bumper at the same area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I had a similar hit on my Beat and the dent removal costed me way less than 1k.
Glad to know from you all that such dents 'can' be repaired at a lesser cost and the car looks in great shape after the repair!

The guy has agreed to meet me on Monday and get the thing sorted out. Will have to wait and watch what the story actually turns out to be. I will cancel the claim as soon as i can meet him and arrive at a decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks