Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 15:21   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
...Are you sure the bridge work looked completed??...
Oops. I wanted to say, most of the work is completed. The cavity in the road was just about 1-2 inches below the regular road level. I saw that the workers were dumping a mix of gravel, cement and water into the remaining part. I assume, they are going to use a road roller to flatten it.

Even the wall built using the hollow blocks was half removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Even I was wondering what was wrong with traffic today. I expected traffic this week to be a bit lighter than usual, considering most corporate folks would have gone out on leave during these 2 long weekends.
I left home at 8.30 AM instead of the usual 8 AM, expecting just that. Since I had a free passage everywhere, I knew I was right .

In the evenings, I take this route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=O...via=1&t=m&z=15

This road has one bottleneck, at Panattur railway underbridge. Reaching Panattur area after 4.45 PM is a strict no-no, since the buses from Krupanidhi college end up choking it.

However, this route is of use to only those who stay near Sarjapur area, and not other parts of Sarjapur road.

I don't take this route in the mornings (and prefer Varthur instead), because of the long waits at the signal near office (at Soulspace Arena mall).
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 16:18   #4772
BHPian

Everything said and done, our lives are getting miserable.
The best solution is to stop going to office .
OR
Reach office before 7a.m. and leave by 3:30p.m.

Most of us are victims of road rage.
Old 12th August 2013, 23:16   #4773
BHPian

The Varthur bridge work has been happening for the past one week guys.

Early last week, they had just put up a block on just one half of the bridge, allowing vehicles to move in the other lane. At this time, inward traffic from Varthur was allowed in the open half of the regular bridge and the outward from Whitefield was allowed in the older small bridge. But they never did any work on the broken area.

I think mid-week they had started the work and hence have completely cordoned off the bridge allowing only light vehicles to pass through.

Aftermath of this is - huge pileup at the Kundanahalli junction. I tried to take this even at 8pm but was struck from Shell pump! Mainly because all heavy vehicles are now diverted to take this stretch to get to Hosur road instead of Varthur! So am not sure there is any easy way out here!

Hopefully they complete the work this week!
Old 13th August 2013, 09:12   #4774
Senior - BHPian

Today I was determined to go via Varthur. I left home at 7.55 AM and was at Varthur by 8.10 AM. No problems whatsoever. There were no cops to handle the traffic, and trucks had ignored the signs and had gone into Varthur. Still, there was no jam at the bridge. However, there was jam near Varthur junction near BBMP office, thanks to some school buses.

The old arrangement continues. The old bridge is open for traffic from Whitefield to Varthur, while the unbroken part of the new bridge is open for traffic from Varthur to Whitefield.

I also noticed that only a small layer of patchwork on the bridge hole is remaining. I am sure the work will be completed by today. It usually takes 3 weeks of curing, right? So we can expect smooth traffic only in the second week of September.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 10:15   #4775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today I was determined to go via Varthur. I left home at 7.55 AM and was at Varthur by 8.10 AM. No problems whatsoever. There were no cops to handle the traffic, and trucks had ignored the signs and had gone into Varthur. Still, there was no jam at the bridge. However, there was jam near Varthur junction near BBMP office, thanks to some school buses.

The old arrangement continues. The old bridge is open for traffic from Whitefield to Varthur, while the unbroken part of the new bridge is open for traffic from Varthur to Whitefield.

I also noticed that only a small layer of patchwork on the bridge hole is remaining. I am sure the work will be completed by today. It usually takes 3 weeks of curing, right? So we can expect smooth traffic only in the second week of September.
Guess what? I actually forgot to take the left turn into ORR (from HSR) and continued straight into carmelaram like an idiot . And then I realized it wasn't an idiotic decision at all. My departure time today was 8AM, so Carmelaram was passed by around 8.30. Surprisingly, the bridge blockage was removed and they were allowing one way direction traffic to pass through, like you mentioned. There was no jam, and I reached office by 9ish.

I went by Kundalahalli yesternight, and like luvyourride mentioned, it was a big, big mess on that stretch and even on ORR upto Bellandur.

After using Carmelaram - Varthur - Hope farm route in peace for the past 9-10 months, it is really frustrating to cope with choc-a-bloc traffic, what with tons of irritating cabbies and bikers cutting across in just-misses. ORR and Kundalahalli is jammed up even at 7AM.

I'll still stick to this patchwork road via Gunjur-Varthur and leave early from home to beat rush hour. At least my bumpers are safe from nudges and scratches in the ORR madness.
Old 13th August 2013, 23:01   #4776
Senior - BHPian

I don't know where to put it, so posting here. Bangalore The Pub City and Its Cops.
Well, how many of you have faced this "Blow Maadi" situation and how did it went ??

Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 09:59   #4777
BHPian

Yesterday while entering Cloudnine hospital at OAR a traffic police constable came by and booked me for no parking violation. All this happened while I was in the car and trying to enter the building. The same thing kept repeating for all the cars that entered the building (both before and after me). There is no parking board near the hospital gate and obviously the traffic police bike is parked right under it.

Still I could not really comprehend the motive of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-no_parking.jpg  

rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 10:44   #4778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I don't know where to put it, so posting here. Bangalore The Pub City and Its Cops.
Well, how many of you have faced this "Blow Maadi" situation and how did it went ??
That's funny. I really don't know the motive behind making this video. Are they trying to popularize "blow maadi" like "swalpa adjust maadi"?

I have faced this situation few times, which was (luckily?) not as dramatic as in the video. Cop asked me to blow into the device, cleared and let me go every time.

Last edited by manson : 14th August 2013 at 12:36.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:44   #4779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
That's funny. I really don't know the motive behind making this video. Are they trying to popularize "blow maadi" like "swalpa adjust maadi"?
Not popularize, rather show how bad can cops become when they see a fat pocket chap. In anycase, DUI is an offence and anyone, fat pocket chap or poor chap, should strictly keep away from it.

Quote:
I have faced this situation few times, which was (luckily?) not as dramatic as in the video. Cop asked me to blow into the device, cleared and let me go every time.
I have faced 3 times and it went smooth because I was not DUI. Touchwood
Old 14th August 2013, 11:56   #4780
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens everyday at the railway crossing near Allalasandra on the road to Yelahanka once the gate is opened after a train passes.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20130814_080643.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20130814wa0008.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20130814wa0007.jpg

When the law keepers themselves become law detractors, what would be the fate of us the common man?

Last edited by sandsun7 : 14th August 2013 at 12:13.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:40   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Not popularize, rather show how bad can cops become when they see a fat pocket chap. In anycase, DUI is an offence and anyone, fat pocket chap or poor chap, should strictly keep away from it.
For some reason, I didn't like the way the video is made, this one kind of generalizes the cops as always bad. There are good cop(s) and bad cop(s) which is universal and this is not just restricted to DUI checking. Yes, I have heard and read that they behave rashly with people, but I have never experienced it myself.

Quote:
I have faced 3 times and it went smooth because I was not DUI. Touchwood
Same here, except once when they had doubts and made me get down the car and checked again with different device. I guess, co-operation is what matters.
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:55   #4782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
This is what happens everyday at the railway crossing near Allalasandra on the road to Yelahanka once the gate is opened after a train passes.
Attachment 1125099

When the law keepers themselves become law detractors, what would be the fate of us the common man?

Happens everywhere in Bangalore. Even more in places where there are no barricades. And this is hopeless. The people actually waiting in the correct lane suffer due to this.

Some of my daily hotspots for this offence: ITPL Road (before the Graphite India Bus Stop). Railway Crossing near ORR. Doddanekundi Road.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:53   #4783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
For some reason, I didn't like the way the video is made, this one kind of generalizes the cops as always bad. There are good cop(s) and bad cop(s) which is universal and this is not just restricted to DUI checking. Yes, I have heard and read that they behave rashly with people, but I have never experienced it myself.
Well, it was a light hearted video. Apologies if it hurt anyone's sentiments.
Agree, there are good and bad.....no rotten ones in the police. It cannot be generalized. But the video was just to crack a smile on someone's face.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:17   #4784
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fLJkMq6iPag
Sorry mate this video is in slightly poor taste in my opinion. All the Bangalore cops I have interacted with at night and who have asked me to get breathalyzed have been singularly polite about it, and they have been even nicer to me especially when they saw after the test that I had not been drinking...
The cop in the video appears to be a poor quality imitation of even poorer quality original Chulbul Pandey ish character.
First, I do not like Salmon Khan (intentional mis-spelling there) and second, I dont like this video.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th August 2013 at 18:19.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 20:04   #4785
BHPian

I got a call from my wife just now. She mentioned there is a huge traffic jam in the ORR stretch between Tin Factory and Bellandur (towards Silk Board). Please avoid this stretch if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks