Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 12:18   #9811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Why can't the govt shift the new tech park to say Mysore/Tumkur.
As a resident of Mysore, please NO!

Vijaynagar and Gokulam have already lost their charm ever since Infosys opened in Mysore. I dread to see any more areas go the same way here.
SunnyBoi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 14:51   #9812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why can't the govt shift the new tech park to say Mysore/Tumkur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
From what I understand suresh, plans are on to come up with new tech parks/IT corridors in Tumkur or at least close by area.

However, I would be disappointed myself SunnyBoi if this happens/changes to Mysore
I have been visiting Mysore all my life (monthly once) and would hate to see it go Bangalore way with respect to congestion.

Coming back to Bangalore, I personally don't see any way out of this congestion. And I have a feeling that IT Sector has devastated the Garden city in the last decade, which is beyond repair/recovery and most likely, there is no way to turn this around

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th November 2015 at 14:53.
Old 11th November 2015, 17:43   #9813
BHPian

If Mysore administration / vote bank is any smart, they should learn from the Bangalore IT transformation debacle and develop their city in a manner where everybody can live in peace. Not every IT transformation story has to be like Bangalore.

On topic: Very smooth traffic today, few showed the usual peak hour haste on the roads. Commuted in a record time of 25 min when it usually takes upwards of 45 min (up to an hour).

Last edited by nareshov : 11th November 2015 at 17:45.
Old 11th November 2015, 18:40   #9814
BHPian

It was bliss to drive to work today towards EC from Koramangala. After a long time during weekdays got an opportunity to cross 3 figures on speedo at EC flyover and to add delight on the way back from work, had to wait for only once at the signal to cross over from Silk board towards HSR ring road
Old 12th November 2015, 08:15   #9815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Vijaynagar and Gokulam have already lost their charm ever since Infosys opened in Mysore. I dread to see any more areas go the same way here.
Mate, I would never in my dream think of screwing up a city because of the presence of IT. Whatever mess Bangalore is facing today is all because of the lack of foresight on part of the government.
They could have developed IT parks all around Bangalore instead of focussing only on E city, Whitefield etc.
For eg Look at Chennai. Sriperumbudur, Walajahbad, Oragadam are being developed. Now all these areas are outside Chennai with very good connectivity to the main land.
On similar lines the govt of Karnataka should have planned thus. Recently there was news of prestige group developing a tech park in Varthur. Why again one more tech park in Whitefield area when the basic infrastructure is in shambles.
The govt , if they are really worried about the fate of the city, should have asked the prestige group to say shift to Tumkur/Mysore/Nelamangala etc.. It is high time govt of Karnataka realize that Bangalore alone is not Karnataka. Other tier 2 cities also can contribute to the development of the state provided the govt focuses attention on these cities.
suresh_gs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 08:42   #9816
BHPian

Quote:
On similar lines the govt of Karnataka should have planned thus. Recently there was news of prestige group developing a tech park in Varthur. Why again one more tech park in Whitefield area when the basic infrastructure is in shambles.
The govt , if they are really worried about the fate of the city, should have asked the prestige group to say shift to Tumkur/Mysore/Nelamangala etc..
The real estate lobby prefers this way so that the demand for the rental space, housing continues to be on the rise with unaffordable pricing, with development happening only on the areas that is already mentioned. If the city spreads, then the prices will cool off a bit which might not be impressive to those who control the market.

And the demand for Bengaluru as a destination does not seem to be low in spite of the issues. A lot of the folks I know do not prefer leaving bangalore in spite of being offered higher salaries in Chennai, hyd or Pune.

Last edited by bblost : 12th November 2015 at 15:10. Reason: fixed quote.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 09:15   #9817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
The real estate lobby prefers this way so that the demand for the rental space, housing continues to be on the rise with unaffordable pricing, with development happening only on the areas that is already mentioned. If the city spreads, then the prices will cool off a bit which might not be impressive to those who control the market.
The govt is blindfolded I guess. For instance in Chennai, areas like Tambaram, Guduvanchery, and even Chengelpet are booming from the real estate point of view. I guess the same logic applies to Pune as well. If the govt starts developing Bangalore suburbs, people will start relocating to those places. As more and more people relocate, the real estate value will start shooting up.
20 years back Sriperumbudur was nothing. See what it is today.
Old 12th November 2015, 09:15   #9818
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Bangalore grew like no other, thanks to IT. But Blaming IT for the mess today?

Its got you revenues - You have the money but you don't want to plan well and spend - So you blame everything else.

Having returned from Pune only yesterday, I can say that Pune too has transformed from once sleepy city to a burgeoning Metro, again thanks to IT. As of today, it boasts almost all the big names you have in Bangalore. Needless to say an IT company in Bangalore has a set-up in Pune, well almost! Not that I drove first time here as I do almost every 2 months but the instant comparo was unavoidable.

The instant feeling was that things have surely developed with wide to super wide roads despite of the step motherly treatment that this city gets for not being a state capital.

What Bangalore suffers today is a Toothpaste tube syndrome - Wide roads with 6 lanes converging into 1 lane. And wait, exactly here is a Bus Stop too. Well, if you thought it ends here, mind you, on this narrow stretch a truck is allowed to roam around during board day light and that breaks down right there.

They planned the Signal free corridor from Highgrounds to Hebbal way back in 2008 when BIAL/KIAL started operations. Bangalore had grown by then and the authorities had the forecast. Look at this "Signal Free" stretch today - Its a Joke!!

Sorry to say but I haven't seen as many trucks and load carrying vehicles roaming around merrily all around Bangalore, round the clock. I have also not seen the authority so casual to private bus operator lobby that we see buses parked all around main road of Madiwala while traffic crawls.

Our cops make us happy by making Madiwala one way but fail to realise how messy things are when traffic passes through the city's biggest (apart from KR Market) market negotiating carts, 2 wheelers, tempos parked at their whims and fancies. Mind you, at 0650am, I checked that a mere 0.75 Kms stretch takes 6-8 minutes to cross.

Sorry again, but I have not seen authorities so casually approving commercial projects right where there are busy intersections/bottlenecks - Sony World Signal is a classic example.

Not even one mall in Bangalore has an entrance through service road barring the outer ring road - But darn, they all exist at vital junctions ! (Mantri, Orion, Total Mall, Bangalore Central, Oasis Center). And now, a new one coming up right at Police Station Junction at Yelahanka!!

If today also, you want to pass the buck on the "Sudden Growth" phenomenon, I have no words left to say.

No need to visit Singapore or UK to learn planning dear ministers - Visit few cities in India alone and you will get answers.

And lastly - Bangalore is the only destination for every Graduate emerging out of every college from Karnataka from every stream. There is no answer to Bangalore in KA.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th November 2015 at 09:31.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 09:19   #9819
BHPian

Quote:

I totally agree to this. Bangalore is ruined for good. True identity of this city is totally lost. Let us spare Mysore , even though real estate has sky rocketed in Mysore , a few places are still affordable and has a little bit of charm left in it.

Quote:
Mate, I would never in my dream think of screwing up a city because of the presence of IT. Whatever mess Bangalore is facing today is all because of the lack of foresight on part of the government.
They could have developed IT parks all around Bangalore instead of focussing only on E city, Whitefield etc.
For eg Look at Chennai. Sriperumbudur, Walajahbad, Oragadam are being developed. Now all these areas are outside Chennai with very good connectivity to the main land.
The govt , if they are really worried about the fate of the city, should have asked the prestige group to say shift to Tumkur/Mysore/Nelamangala etc.. It is high time govt of Karnataka realize that Bangalore alone is not Karnataka. Other tier 2 cities also can contribute to the development of the state provided the govt focuses attention on these cities.
Bangalore needs to concentrate on the basic infrastructure first and then start planning on such IT parks.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 09:29   #9820
BHPian

Quote:
The govt , if they are really worried about the fate of the city, should have asked the prestige group to say shift to Tumkur/Mysore/Nelamangala etc..
That is the core of the issue. This govt or for the matter of fact any govt has not cared and will not care about the fate of this city. Their only goal is to make money for themselves or for their friends. If the city becomes unlivable for its citizens as a result, so be it. It is not like that the people making money are going to get affected by it. They have already made their exit plans.
How else can one explain granting permission to build a office space with capacity for 10-20K people with one entrance and one exit? How else can you explain allowing more construction without building alternate/new roads?
Go through the tech parks on ORR and you will find that some politician or his/her family is directly involved in it.
Check the people who own RMZ, Bagmane, Embassy which own some of the biggest tech parks in ORR and you will realize what I mean..
There is no long term future for the city of bangalore. Our rulers will not stop until they run the city to the ground.
I have personally seen the traffic situation go from bad to worse in the last 2 years in my daily commute and it is only going to get even worse.
Case in point, The stretch between iblur signal and total mall on sarjapur road. The iblur signal used to take less than 1 minute to cross 2 years ago. Nowadays I will be lucky if I cross it in 10 minutes at any point of day. it has taken me as much as 30 minutes during peak hours.
Used to take me less than a minute to get to total mall once I crossed the signal. Nowadays I am lucky if it takes me less than 10 minutes at any point of time. It is going to get only worse for this stretch as more apartments and office spaces are being built and no alternate roads planned.
I can go on and on..
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 09:55   #9821
BHPian

Ideally, there should have been a master plan for the city, so whenever the city was getting full or the plan was being fulfilled, it was supposed to open up new zones with regulations against illegal constructions etc. However, it looks like that does not happen because of the arm twisting done by the powerful lobby.

A friends' dad retired from one of the departments that manages city development. Since i know them personally, i was able to ask a few questions on why the city is in current state vs what it was 10 years back. It seems the lobby is very powerful. The lobby includes water tanker owners, borewell owners, construction equipment owners (JCB's, trucks, tractors, dumpers), financiers (there are seemingly lot of private financiers that gives money to the builders for a very high interest rate, and no one knows the source of this money. They are from different parts of the country but respected and revered in spite of the language they speak !!!) These guys have heavy exposure on the tech parks, apartment complexes in the areas of koramangala, sarjapur ORR, marathahalli, varthur, e-city etc.) Since most of them are yet to exit the cycle of their investment (obviously after earning huge profits) the focus is to develop these areas only. The lobby is so powerful that they have created the image that investment in these areas are lucrative even in today's high rates. So more people trying to fit into the congested areas and the resultant scenario we are in. So, every time the traffic issue comes up, the blame is on the public for buying cars, not using public transport, car pooling etc. No one is ready to talk about road development, diversion of new projects to areas that are not developed etc.

Add to the woes, lot of the real estate spaces are vacant because of no takers. So its a pressure situation for everyone !

Additionally, some companies even tried looking for office space outside the city areas, considering the high rent and congestion issues but had to back track because of local issues (some local organizations (you know what) were creating random trouble for no reason so that the company looking for space would prefer to stay back in the congested areas) Somewhere the lobby played smart to avoid loss of business because companies wanted to relocate.
sunishsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 10:06   #9822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

A friends' dad retired from one of the departments that manages city development. Since i know them personally, i was able to ask a few questions on why the city is in current state vs what it was 10 years back. It seems the lobby is very powerful. The lobby includes water tanker owners, borewell owners, construction equipment owners (JCB's, trucks, tractors, dumpers), financiers (there are seemingly lot of private financiers that gives money to the builders for a very high interest rate, and no one knows the source of this money.
Say for instance top companies like Bosch, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, are the top brass sitting ducks in front of the govt. Revered people like Narayana Murthy, Azim Premji will for sure have a say in development of Bangalore due to IT.
Old 12th November 2015, 19:40   #9823
BHPian

And the IT parks keep coming.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49730744.cms

Wells Fargo is building a 10,000 seater in Embassy Tech village!! The bellandur -sarjapur ORR is going to get choked soon!!

I recently moved to Bangalore from hyderabad. Apart from the weather and short distance to my hometown, I dont see any major advantage in Bangalore. In fact I am still wondering what made Bangalore the IT capital of India and why not Hyderabad?? Hyderabad is best in terms of infrastructure and connectivity. I am now slowly getting used to the jams here in Bangalore. Thankfully, I work only in morning shifts and hence the pain is less.
Old 12th November 2015, 20:28   #9824
BHPian

Interesting. May be

1) Are you sure ? Thought WF was planning to build a big campus in Hyd ? They already have a big one so thought they wanted to consolidate at Hyd and not much in Bangalore.
2) Hyd is not a preferred city for folks from TN, Kerala. (please dont me)
3) Climate wise Bangalore was (to some extent is) better than Hyd and other cities.
4) Hyd suffered an image loss because of the agitation in the recent past (for splitting the state).
5) Bangalore eventually got a big talent pool of folks in all areas - especially operations; and the marketing during SM Krishna time helped.
6) Whereas at Hyd you find lot of smart techies (especially the ones with amazing mathematical and logical abilities) but not generally the ones on the operations, customer service types. So lot of back office jobs/companies focussed on Bangalore. Post Chandrababu Naidu era, Hyd did not focus much on IT marketing and lagged a bit too heavy on the infra. They eventually caught up and the roads and traffic are much better on the IT corridor
7) As a result of 2,4,5 Bangalore ended up choking heavy.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th November 2015 at 07:05. Reason: Extra smiley removed.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 20:42   #9825
BHPian

What a joke!!! Look where Bengaluru is!!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/49757227.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks