Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:37   #616
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Our ministers and govt officers are paid well (through salary and other official perks), and don't even have to put their life at risk like the policemen. Then what would be the reason for so many scams and so much bribery?

I don't buy the argument that cops are corrupt because of low wages. In India, whoever enjoys a position of power, whether it is a policeman or a govt officer or a minister, misuses his/her power and demands bribe from the person whose work gets affected by his/her power.

Poverty does not drive corruption, power and greed do.

Rohan
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:03   #617
Senior - BHPian

Mugging incident has apparently taken a different turn now. Recently in one of the apartments in my neighborhood, two thugs appeared in the door of an apartment and demanded money saying that their car hit one of their friends a few days back and he is in hospital and need one lakh immediately to treat him. The people at home tried to reason away saying that there was no such incident and then they turned hostile and said that "you have to keep in mind that your kids and ladies walk in the same streets and we will not spare anybody". Finally they forced the households to part with some 30K odd and vanished. Apparently their house maid also told them that it is better to pay them up else they will create issues when they go out of apartment.

In my area, there is a large number of about 5000+ people working in many apartments as maids, cooks, drivers, car washers etc and now these thugs are trying to leverage this number to threaten the residents. A police complaint has been filed and the "investigation is going on".
Old 4th December 2010, 02:23   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Mugging incident has apparently taken a different turn now. Recently in one of the apartments in my neighborhood, two thugs appeared in the door of an apartment and demanded money saying that their car hit one of their friends a few days back and he is in hospital and need one lakh immediately to treat him. The people at home tried to reason away saying that there was no such incident and then they turned hostile and said that "you have to keep in mind that your kids and ladies walk in the same streets and we will not spare anybody". Finally they forced the households to part with some 30K odd and vanished. Apparently their house maid also told them that it is better to pay them up else they will create issues when they go out of apartment.

In my area, there is a large number of about 5000+ people working in many apartments as maids, cooks, drivers, car washers etc and now these thugs are trying to leverage this number to threaten the residents. A police complaint has been filed and the "investigation is going on".
5000 people as maids cooks drivers? Where do you stay boss? Does each house has a dedicated cook+maid+driver? Sounds quite impossible.

And the people who gave away 30K to some thugs coming to their house asking for money on the door, that too in an apartment, you don't blame the thugs, you got to blame the stupid people staying in that house. Well if you are so scared of getting stabbed on road stay in villages and don't think of staying in metros. No wonder the thugs left all the houses and went to that particular house, they would have information that these are the most fattu people on earth and an easy prey.
Old 4th December 2010, 06:03   #619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Well there are thieves and thieves in uniform. I was arguing about law reinforcement with my cousin in Georgia and he came up with a very interesting fact. He said here (USA) police earn about 140,000 $ an year and other benefits. They get this as they put their lives at stake at ever pull over they make. Every citizen at a proper age and license can hold a gun and pull the trigger. That is one major cause as to why they don't take petty bribes. Well there might be black sheep there too but not in majority. Before anyone starts shouting on why am I pulling other countries here, please let is be for analogical purposes. Please.
Police Salary and Benefits

Quote:
(Effective 11/2008)
Position: Monthly:
Police Cadet $2,369.00 (PER MONTH)
Probationary Police Officer $38,340 (ANNUALLY)
Police Officer - Step A-F $44,136 - $60,120 (ANNUALLY)
Police Detective - Step A-D $61,800 - $66,828 (ANNUALLY)
Police Sergeant - Step A-C $70,200 - $73,020 (ANNUALLY)
Police Lieutenant - Step A-C $78,612 - $81,792 (ANNUALLY)
Police Captain - Step A-C $90,216 - $93,852 (ANNUALLY)
Old 8th December 2010, 09:28   #620
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Just wanted to share a note of appreciation to Bangalore Police:

I had stored the SI's mobile number in my mobile as quick-dial contact.
Day before y'day, I got a call from him saying that he received a missed-call from my number. Then I realised that my son had pressed the quick-dial while fiddling with the handset.
I felt guilty and apologised to the SI for the trouble.

But, it was a pleasant surprise to see a Police SI responding like this.

Salute, Keep up the good work.

So guys, don't lose hopes on Bangalore cops.
Old 8th December 2010, 09:39   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post

Day before y'day, I got a call from him saying that he received a missed-call from my number. Then I realised that my son had pressed the quick-dial while fiddling with the handset.

Thats a really good news. I have also saved the SI Rajesh's contact in my phone for emergency as I leave in the sarjapur road area.
Old 9th December 2010, 01:46   #622
BHPian

Another Mugging story:
On Nov 4, 2010, (Diwali Eve) between 7:30-7:45 PM, Route no: 16, Cab no: 7300, we were near Mariyappanpalya/subramanyanagar area a little beyond Navrang, when this unforeseen incident happened.
We were only 3 girls in the normal 6:10 shuttle (a big white Volvo bus), going towards Malleswaram, which is the last stop for that route, when 5 drunk men entered the bus, during slow moving traffic.
The driver tried to stop them telling it’s an office cab but they refused to get off. Since we were only 3 girls in the cab and the area is also not very safe, we had no way out.
They forcibly took our cell phones and my iPod. Also when they were taking my friend’s cell phone, they hit her in the eye.
One of the men slapped and blocked the bus boy, so that he would not do anything.
We have filed an FIR in Subramanyanagar police station for robbery and assault and the police are tracking the issue currently.
Kindly make sure that the doors of the shuttle you travel in are closed and locked from inside at all times.

Last edited by Sowmya : 9th December 2010 at 01:48. Reason: Formatted Corectly
Old 9th December 2010, 02:18   #623
BHPian

When I read "slow moving traffic", I assume the traffic is thick enough that the vehicle can only move at a slow speed. If that's correct, wondering why you girls didn't shout to get the attention of the passers-by (I mean other vehicle-occupants). No, there is no element of blame.
The reason I ask is that mugging usually is targeted at single-persons in desolated areas. Your incident takes it to the next level.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:17   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post

SI Rajesh attached to the HSR pplice station is a very upfront and nononsense officer.I had met quite a few times when I was staying at a rented apartment in Sarjapur road(Was a part of many delegations which actively met civic agencies + cops) to ensure better traffic management in and around the ORR.
Infact quite a few of them in that station are people friendly and good to work with.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:24   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Another Mugging story:
On Nov 4, 2010, (Diwali Eve) between 7:30-7:45 PM, Route no: 16, Cab no: 7300, we were near Mariyappanpalya/subramanyanagar area a little beyond Navrang, when this unforeseen incident happened.

We have filed an FIR in Subramanyanagar police station for robbery and assault and the police are tracking the issue currently.
Kindly make sure that the doors of the shuttle you travel in are closed and locked from inside at all times.
Thats a terrible incident and that too happening in the middle of heavy traffic ! Bangalore has become really an un-safe city now.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:35   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Another Mugging story:
One of the men slapped and blocked the bus boy, so that he would not do anything.
Why did the driver not stop the bus in the middle of the road and start shouting? People would have gathered and they may have helped to nab at least one or two of them. Also do these Volvo buses not come with hydraulically closing doors with the control lever near the driver?
Old 9th December 2010, 11:40   #627
Senior - BHPian

Something I also experienced 2 weeks back but I am not sure could I call it mugging attempt or not?

I, my wife and my 5 year old son returning around 11:00 PM from Yelhanka to Whitefield in Bangalore. Journey till K. R. Puram railway station was uneventful and fast. After K. R. Puram railway station I tool Whitefield Road for my home. Near Gaducharpalaya 2 bikers came left of my Safari and shouting something in loud voice. I heard it even when all windows of my car were rolled up. They were trying to divert my attention so that I could stop and ask them what happened. I did not do so and continued moving forward.

Then one biker in Pulsar came in front of me from right side. and trying to slow down. There were not much traffic on the road at that time and it was saturday night. Other biker also came in front of me from left and trying to slow down. There were no place for me to overtake because of those two bikers at late night. One of the looking back at me and my car and I smelled their intention was not good.

Suddenly, I found some space right side of biker and I revved hard of Safari and almost cut them through and over taken them and zoom past both of them. For some time they were coming back at me. But I increased speed as turbo kicks of Safari and after sometime they were not in the sight.

It was quite tensed moment for me as I was with my family and I was ready and determined to cut them and scrap them from side of my car. Luckily I did not touch them as I got enough space for overtaking.

Warning to all fellow night traveler inside City

1. Keep your windows rolled up always
2. Always lock you all doors.
3. Never stop if anyone tries to divert your attention.
4. Move fast and zoom past them safely.
5. Be careful while driving from K.R. Puram Railway Station to Whitefield at night hours.

Last edited by anujmishra : 9th December 2010 at 11:44.
Old 9th December 2010, 20:58   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

1. Keep your windows rolled up always
2. Always lock you all doors.
3. Never stop if anyone tries to divert your attention.
4. Move fast and zoom past them safely.
5. Be careful while driving from K.R. Puram Railway Station to Whitefield at night hours.
+1 to the above. One should always keep Baseball bat/hockey handy in your car. I always make sure that i have hockey in my car boot. When i am driving at night alone on ORR stretch or similar deserted stretch i always keep hockey handy with me in the rear seat within my reach. This has saved me in the past.

In addition to the above driving at nights alone i never keep mobile, wallets etc open in the car. They are always inside my trouser pockets!! These are small things but yet significant at times.

Last edited by lazybrain : 9th December 2010 at 21:06.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:49   #629
Team-BHP Support

Also remove your bank cards / excess cash and hide them around the car
Old 10th December 2010, 00:38   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Also remove your bank cards / excess cash and hide them around the car
+1 to that. Whenever I go out with plans to return late night, I keep only 1 card with me which only has 2-3k and a little cash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks