Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 15:43   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
1. Is the bodyshell damaged beyond repair?
This monocoque / body is beyond repair. If some roadside shop does try to repair it, the drive will be shaky + severely compromised on safety.

Donor body would be ideal. But its a 7 year old car...thus cost of repair vis a vis resale value calculation comes into the picture. To bring her back to exactly how she was, the bill will meet / exceed the current book value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sad news indeed. One really gets attached to the car they own and drive over a period of time and it hurts to see the beloved vehicle in a damaged shape.
Tell me about it, SDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
If the car is declared a total loss, would the owner get to retain the engine? I don't think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
would Avinash be able to salvage anything from the car? I seriously doubt the engine can be reclaimed in this case.
Nope, he wouldn't. Unless, of course, he gets in touch with the same person who buys the Vtec from the insurance company.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2010 at 15:45.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

ouch now that hurts man,hop avinash gets the full benifit out of this,it was a beauty.

On a second thought since india is a hub for jugaad,can we get this ride done convirtible I am sure por mods players can do the job and wont even cos much as we just need to cut thru the stuff and rebuild the steering rack unit.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sheer bad luck. Thankfully nobody was inside the car. In the thread " Accidents in India ", there was one Civic with similar damage. I wonder what is happening to these buildings. I consider these buildings unsafe, but that is a different story.

About the car, it looks like the motor and hopefully the gearbox are not damaged. So if the entire powertrian is in good condition, it really makes sense to retain it. To the best of my knowledge, the 1.3 and 1.5 have similar moutings, so as this powerplant ( also gearbox if possible ) can be installed in any other G1HC.

There is no point in repairing the car as the entire body is shell would have lost its original strength. Any effort to repair it will prove to be expensive.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:57   #19
BHPian

That's a very sad way for a exemplary machine to go. My heart goes out to Avinash.

@GTO: It is indeed very true that people with passion for automobiles get attached their prized possessions. I, myself, try to spot my old vehicles on the road just to get a glimpse of it. I can imagine both Avinash and your state of mind looking at the shambles in which the VTec is now.

OT: I remember a friend of mine picked up Accent about 5 years back and 3 days after the delivery, a broken cement pipe broke and fell on his car while it was parked under his building. The result, the roof caved. The car was still temp registered.

Last edited by Ardy : 21st June 2010 at 15:59.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

ouch! Terrible luck - such a well maintained and 'icon' car on tbhp, and building caves in :-( My commiserations ...

Hope he gets proper insurance payout for the total damage, and without much hassle ...
Old 21st June 2010, 16:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

I logged in to team bhp and saw this thread with OHC 1677 as heading! I instantly recalled its GTO/Avinash's V-TEC :( it seriously hurts to see this VTEC in such a bad shape R.I.P OHC 1677!

what is the silver clothing on seats! car cover?
Old 21st June 2010, 17:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see those pics. An excellent car ruined in a freak accident. I can imagine what you and Avinash must be feeling like.

Was this your first car GTO ?
Old 21st June 2010, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Oh Man! Its really sad to know. GTO's Vtec was no doubt a head turner. May be if it signed a will to donate its heart to another OHC.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

that's sad. Is this sign of infrastructure growing old (or are there too many cars around increasing the probability of things falling on the cars)? what happened to the building? is it an abandoned one ? Quite lately so many things have been falling on top of innocent cars. Trees, buildings, flyovers, Metro rails, trucks, lamposts. On another thought, can he still keep the car, sell parts separately and make the most money than insurance pay out?
As far as i know, It has orig greddy header, nice engine, new a/c compressor. tyres and wheels, decent audio, suspension .....
Old 21st June 2010, 17:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

Bad bad day for the poor car,

@GTO-- you were searching for wheels, if the size is same(i think it isn't), you may swap
Old 21st June 2010, 19:34   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
On a second thought since india is a hub for jugaad,can we get this ride done convirtible
Not recommended at all. Leave aside damaged monocoques, performing a chop job on an undamaged example is bad enough. The dynamics & high speed behaviour get severely compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
In the thread " Accidents in India ", there was one Civic with similar damage.
Was the Civic from Bombay? I saw a Civic with near identical damage parked outside the Gamdevi Police Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
what is the silver clothing on seats! car cover?
Yup, the car cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Was this your first car GTO ?
Nope. But one car I really enjoyed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
As far as i know, It has orig greddy header, nice engine, new a/c compressor. tyres and wheels, decent audio, suspension .....
Engine + Greddy header + wheels are wicked. Audio is too old now, and the tyres would need replacement in 10 - 15K kms tops. I don't know anything about a new a/c compressor though (when I gave it to Avinash, car had the factory-fitted unit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@GTO-- you were searching for wheels, if the size is same(i think it isn't), you may swap
Can't say it hasn't crossed my mind
Old 21st June 2010, 20:33   #27
BHPian

My heart goes out to Avinash. Really bad that this happened with his OHC.
Hadn't seen his OHC parked here from quite some time, thought that he must have relocated elsewhere and this happens.
Will miss hearing that sweet exhaust note everytime when Avinash used to take his Vtec out for a spin.

Last edited by aman9393 : 21st June 2010 at 20:35.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Was the Civic from Bombay? I saw a Civic with near identical damage parked outside the Gamdevi Police Station.

Can't say it hasn't crossed my mind
that civic you saw was damaged in a similar way when the building opp. westside collapsed on it. saw it when they were getting it out from the rubble.

but the civic and the city have different pcd's.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
thats just sad. sorry to hear about it.

butttt, since the engine is untouched, why not take it out of the car and keep it. you might just find some use for it since it is in such good condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Car isn't mine, that's for Avinash to decide. Based on our convo so far, he isn't keen on repairing the car. The monocoque is too severely damaged for the car to ever perform properly. However, your post has just given me an idea. How about Avinash buying a cheap 1.3 and swapping this engine into her bay
Hey GTO, convince Avinash for this. But even this will cost a bomb, won't it?
Old 21st June 2010, 21:35   #30
BHPian

Really sad to hear about the damage. The first thing noticed on the forum was the pic of this OHC on the homepage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks