Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 01:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Worthless 'review', if it can even be called that. No drive, no interiors, no steering, no exhaust note, no handling, no 'kitna deti hai' , nothing. No useful photographs too!

This is what TG had to say about DC in an article about the Avanti:

Quote:
So, who the hell is DC? They're an Indian tuning house better known for adding big plastic nappies and bling-a-ding rims to everything from Rolls-Royce Phantoms and Porsche Cayennes to Tata Nanos. Then charging punters inordinate amounts of money (its tinkered Nano costs £141,000. ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTY ONE GRAND).
Link: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/d...led-2012-01-06
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 11:12   #62
BHPian

Re: DC Avanti : First Drive by Zigwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Crap. Where is the first drive??? Looks like a paid article with descriptions about how the vehicle will behave and how we can imagine the engine to be. The guys have not even started the engine it seems
Actually, the review is not a crap. We at TEAM-BHP are used to reviews of such a level which no other media (internet, magzines, newspapers etc) could even think of.

Thanks TEAM-BHP for raising the bar!

akash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 12:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Pathetic review, looks like the reviewer sat at home while the photographer went, took some pictures and brought back a spec sheet for the reviewer. Even a layman could write something on these lines just by seeing the pictures and specs floating around in the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Enough has been commented about the car itself, so I'll refrain from it (apart from using the phrase nicely clothed pony car to describe it just to go on record) But I think Ford, the supplier of this car's engine shall be very curious as to how the Indian market reacts to its availability. If all goes well and they see gold, we might even see the launch of the Mustang here which if brought in under 20 lacs ex-showroom for the base version (which should easily be achievable if they use the CKD route), could help us see American muscle and pony cars enter the Indian market in a big way. There is a growing number of newly rich in India, most of whom are in the 20 to 40 age group and increasingly car-savvy so who knows ?
Mustang or other pony cars entering the Indian market in a big way with a gas guzzler engine? I see it unlikely unless govt. removes the diesel subsidy. Without an oil burner, I don't think they would get enough sales to justify the CKD route. Being an American muscle car, chances of a diesel engine is pretty rare though Ford can definitely come up with some good diesel mill from its own EU stable. Would they go thorugh all these pains is a big question mark. With CBU route, it would have the same status as Lancer Evo - so overpriced that even enthusiasts might not be interested to buy one.

In the age where F1 cars would be driven by V6 engines, you never know! Last thing I want to see is a sub-4m 4 door Mustang with 1.0 Ecoboost and the 1.5 TDCi!

P.S: I'm a hard core Mustang fan but I dont think it would be feasible in India in the current context without humiliating it.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:16   #64
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Mustang or other pony cars entering the Indian market in a big way with a gas guzzler engine? I see it unlikely unless govt. removes the diesel subsidy. Without an oil burner, I don't think they would get enough sales to justify the CKD route. Being an American muscle car, chances of a diesel engine is pretty rare though Ford can definitely come up with some good diesel mill from its own EU stable. Would they go thorugh all these pains is a big question mark. With CBU route, it would have the same status as Lancer Evo - so overpriced that even enthusiasts might not be interested to buy one.
True that. India is totally after diesel. But thanks to ford ECOnetic technology with the Ecoboost engines that has resulted in 1.0L 125Ps engines emitting 99g/km of CO2, even its european lineup is experiencing a shift to petrol instead of diesel. If only the government starts to abolish the subsidy on diesel, we can have a saner market.

But don't Indians still respect good driving cars, like the Superb which sells several times more in petrol form than the diesel form ? There really isn't any cheap fun-to-drive car in India right now and I feel affordable performance oriented cars that can be taken to track and had fun with DO have a market, even if its limited.

Quote:
In the age where F1 cars would be driven by V6 engines, you never know! Last thing I want to see is a sub-4m 4 door Mustang with 1.0 Ecoboost and the 1.5 TDCi!
That car has a name. Its called 2014 Ford Figo

Quote:
P.S: I'm a hard core Mustang fan but I dont think it would be feasible in India in the current context without humiliating it.
While we are at it, ALL Ford cars shall now use Ecoboost engines, Mustang gets it in 2015...
Old 1st May 2013, 20:36   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

DC has announced plans to build a new factory in Sanand, Gujarat to produce the Avanti.

Also a new SUV is scheduled to debut at the 2014 Auto Expo

Source: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...arat-10227.htm
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
DC has announced plans to build a new factory in Sanand, Gujarat to produce the Avanti.

Also a new SUV is scheduled to debut at the 2014 Auto Expo

Source: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...arat-10227.htm
if anyone digs a little you will notice that this is probably the millionth such announcement from DC over the past 2 decades. Somehow the factories and the cars never materialise = maybe something to do with his approach to building/modifying cars which I have closely looked at over the years and can say he does not have the DNA, mindset, competence, rigour, consistency or detail orientation to build a complete car to start with leave alone doing a bespoke series or a custom car factory volume. At best he is good at customising someone else's brands..sometimes those to look bad and seem just shinny and gleaming hiding a lot of frankly crap workmanship below the surface...typical of his elk unfortunately which is why i used the term DNA and rigour both of which are no starters come what may.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:40   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
if anyone digs a little you will notice that this is probably the millionth such announcement from DC over the past 2 decades. Somehow the factories and the cars never materialise = maybe something to do with his approach to building/modifying cars which I have closely looked at over the years and can say he does not have the DNA, mindset, competence, rigour, consistency or detail orientation to build a complete car to start with leave alone doing a bespoke series or a custom car factory volume. At best he is good at customising someone else's brands..sometimes those to look bad and seem just shinny and gleaming hiding a lot of frankly crap workmanship below the surface...typical of his elk unfortunately which is why i used the term DNA and rigour both of which are no starters come what may.
Interesting ! As the car was launched last year, indicative pricing was out too but no production news & just an announcement that too after a year about a new facility at Sanand.

Lets just hope we soon get to see an all Indian "Sportscar" rolling into production soon
Old 4th May 2013, 11:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good in the front and then in usual DC style goes odd looking as it proceeds to the back....the reason for this is he relies so heavily on inspiration from other designs that by the the time he makes headway in one area he is stuck as to how to complete the theme and ends up with some odd looking parts in almost ALL of his designs. Although I have no issues with a sports car having a 4 pot engine in mid engine set up like his car, If you read his the specs, the power to weight ratio ( a massive handicap with DC designs) seems to be a party pooper in this cars set up, he went for a super car Ferrari, Bugatti dimensions, look and appearance with MR2 and lotus philosophy of using light engines. If you read a collection of all the driving reports on DC's sports cars it is apparent the 4 pot setup seems insignificant in performance and feel. So all this comes down to design approach being a complete Indian bhelpuri from start! If you want to do a super, exotic heavy hitter sports car you can't get away with the combo DC has tried, either plonk a good cheap American V8 (saved faces for a lot of folks who tried it in the past) to substitute an expensive euro engine or go for a new design which falls into the light sports car category like a lotus or MR2. The Avanti will never take off in its current form. To add to it he needs to track it in various circuits and prove it before any volumes come baring some local handful ingnorants who will buy only for looks. Just my humble opinion. India will produce a sports car but that is going to take some time I reckon due to an array of reasons
canonball is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 12:28   #69
BHPian

DC Opening
At Dr. E Moses Road, Worli, Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image.jpeg  

Mirage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 21:17   #70
BHPian

We've ordered one of the initial 300 to be produced and delivered in December. We've opted for a yellow colour.
Everyone's got their own views about the car. It may not be the best looking 2 door car around but then again how many 2-door sportscar(Not Supercar but a sportscar) are there in India which are brand new and cost less than 35 lakhs. Think the aswer is zero.
That's my family's thinking when we decided to get the car.
BraveArc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 20:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveArc View Post
We've ordered one of the initial 300 to be produced and delivered in December. We've opted for a yellow colour.
Everyone's got their own views about the car. It may not be the best looking 2 door car around but then again how many 2-door sportscar(Not Supercar but a sportscar) are there in India which are brand new and cost less than 35 lakhs. Think the aswer is zero.
How much is it costing you onroad? Do share the ex factory price if possibly as well thx
Old 26th June 2013, 21:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
How much is it costing you onroad? Do share the ex factory price if possibly as well thx
It's 26 in Chennai. but this is before all the taxes n stuff. Only once the car is made and brought to Chennai will we know what the remaining amount to be paid is.
Will let you'll know if I get any info earlier.
BraveArc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 22:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brave congratulations on your purchase. I think I speak for all of us when I ask you to Please post ownership review when you can!.
Now, The car that you have purchased. The exterior is similar to the concept? or has the final production models exterior design changed in any way since then? Also, Do you have any kind of brochure you could perhaps scan and upload Brave. I'm really interested in having a look at the interior of the final production Avanti.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's 26 in Chennai. but this is before all the taxes n stuff. Only once the car is made and brought to Chennai will we know what the remaining amount to be paid is.
Will let you'll know if I get any info earlier.
You are indeed BRAVE. Look fwd to your ownership report and overall impressions. Did you drive her/ take a TD before deciding to buy/ order etc?
Old 27th June 2013, 00:11   #75
BANNED

So is the production starting in December? or is it just BraveArc getting it in December?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks