Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2018, 13:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

What is worse is the man who crashed the ferrari had a 17 year old child (daughter of his friend who was part of the supercar cavalcade ) as co passenger and still was driving so recklessly at high speeds .

I am from Kolkata and very familiar with all the highways here and none of them are safe for speeds in excess of 100 except certain stretches of NH-2 and certain roads around New Town (Rajarhat) . But I have seen supercars like Porsche doing speed well above 150 on the flyovers and other city roads - one incident happened only day before yesterday when a supercar ( looked like a jaguar ) overtook me dangerously on Ma flyover at what appeared to be 200kmph speed , I was riding my duke 390 at around 80 and the windblast from the sportscar almost threw me off balance .
basuroy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 13:27   #17
BHPian

Re: Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata

Is it that these cars are not enjoyable when driven slow? I'd assume a priced possession like this would be enjoyable even to just to sit in.
What prevents them, I wonder, from enjoying slow speeds in the city and take it to the track for those speed bursts.
sanjaykk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 13:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

RIP.

Hope the passenger makes a full recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
What prevents them, I wonder, from enjoying slow speeds in the city and take it to the track for those speed bursts.
There are no tracks in / around kolkata.

These beasts pick up speed very rapidly and one can be caught off guard.
Old 4th June 2018, 13:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

From the reports it seems that the driver survived the impact and was alive for about an hour (even spoke a few words). If that is so, then it makes the tragedy even worse. It must have been heart-wrenching for his son and friends to see his life slipping away. Although we cannot be certain, better emergency response and trauma care facilities may have made a difference.
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Incidents like this prove, why we need to hit tracks more often. Yesterday, I was riding something which can hit 100MPH in 2nd gear without batting an eye lid, but needless to say, I didn't go over 100-110 kmph.

Out here, everyone is out there to kill you, animals, humans, trucks and to top it all the entire infrastructure [road design]. Cops won't stop a jugged vehicle or a biker who has 2 pillions, but they will stop you as they know you have the ability to pay.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
Indeed a sad happening,discussions about how it could have been avoided will go on.

A small suggestion which will be easy to implement, is to redesign the pipe which runs over the side guard wall of flyovers and bridges. in this instance a news report said that the pipe pierced the bonnet ,windshield,airbags and the chest of the driver.
Had the pipe been bent down and grounded into the ground before the guard wall,it wud not have run into the car as it happeneded in this case.
A simple relook at the start and end design of the pipe will help in enhancing safety to a great extent.
Why was the pipe extending so much ? Looking at pictures, the side guard wall has a corner and it starts where the car hit it. I dont know why they had to leave pipe out like that. Its like everywhere in India, people with no knowledge design or create infrastructure services.
srishiva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely tragic and horrific incident. Really saddened at the way in which this particular incident occurred, and the fatal injuries sustained.

As soon as I read about this incident, I was reminded of the supercar club members driving every Sunday morning on the highways around Bangalore (and I am sure in the other major Indian cities as well). The same safety concerns which are voiced in these articles of today are applicable to all the highways in India. Accidents waiting to happen.

Even with the most careful drivers and in car safety features, high speed supercars just do not seem well mated to our Indian highways.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Mr. Shibaji was one of the more careful drivers of the group and it was an unfortunate accident.

Actually when this happened, it was being driven at around ~120KMPH.
RIP the deceased.

Speed was definitely a factor in this accident, 120kmph speed may not be safe on majority of Indian roads.
Old 4th June 2018, 15:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
.. in India we simply don't deserve these high-end vehicles on our roads.
Ferraris and other high end sports all over the world almost always crash for the same reason - due to overspeeding. This is not an India specific phenomenon.
Old 4th June 2018, 15:29   #25
BHPian

This is just tragic! After paying exorbitant taxes/tolls on cars, we cannot get even basic safety measurements like water barrels on highways.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
At times I feel, in India we simply don't deserve these high-end vehicles on our roads, partly because of the roads that we have and partly because of the screwballs that drive these vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Ferraris and other high end sports all over the world almost always crash for the same reason - due to overspeeding.
I think both of your predictions are correct.

Whether its India, Autobahn or the Fiorano Circuit itself, these exotic machines demand utmost respect and attention.

These engineering marvels are one of their kinds, and need many hours of training to drive them, let alone manoeuvre them during emergencies. There is no way one can even get close to understanding how a Ferrari 458 feels like just by driving a fast or highly modified mass production car.

The tragic reality is that 7 or 8 out of 10 owners who can afford such Super-sports are easily out-skilled by the car itself, and they seldom get second chances in these road rockets.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 4th June 2018 at 16:01.
Vik0728 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 16:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Another incident which proves once again the importance of defensive driving. 120 KMPH while a very normal speed today, is relatively high when compared to the truck.

I wonder if the quick steering of the Ferrari might have caught the driver by surprise. After all, it was a test drive.

RIP to the deceased.
Old 4th June 2018, 16:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

I wonder if the quick steering of the Ferrari might have caught the driver by surprise. After all, it was a test drive.

RIP to the deceased.
Just to clarify, it was not a test-drive. Mr Roy has been driving that particular Ferrari for months now. Infact, he along with the owners of 2 488s and a 488 Spyder drove the car from Kolkata to Bhubaneshwar and back. As is often the case among supercar clubs, everyone gets to drive almost everyone else's car.
avishar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 16:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Just to clarify, it was not a test-drive. Mr Roy has been driving that particular Ferrari for months now. Infact, he along with the owners of 2 488s and a 488 Spyder drove the car from Kolkata to Bhubaneshwar and back. As is often the case among supercar clubs, everyone gets to drive almost everyone else's car.
Great! TOI reported that the now deceased driver was driving the car for the past few days and was seriously considering to purchase it.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 4th June 2018, 16:58   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Just to clarify, it was not a test-drive. Mr Roy has been driving that particular Ferrari for months now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Great! TOI reported that the now deceased driver was driving the car for the past few days and was seriously considering to purchase it.
I read / heard somewhere that he had already bought the car; just the transfer formalities were pending.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks