Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2018, 08:42   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtail View Post
Have a look at one of their earlier Sunday drives. See around the 2.30 min mark how they overtake
The perfect example of the stereotypical Mustang driver, 'lets go kill someone".

Pathetic driving. I'm surprised he didn't hit the parked truck or the Wagon-R.
Old 6th June 2018, 08:50   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtail View Post
Have a look at one of their earlier Sunday drives. See around the 2.30 min mark how they overtake
Irony is the video ends with a message to drive safe.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2018 at 09:12. Reason: Removing YouTube URL from the quoted post. Thanks.
rajivr1612 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 09:05   #93
BHPian

As a country there is till a lot to be learned before we can look back and admire the development of the country and its worthiness to accept and measure up to world standards. The ill fated family has lost their son/father/ husband in this incident. We can take many valuable learnings from this but most importantly, what if we are right and the other is wrong. As in this case, the truck driver is at fault(source: times of India https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolk...w/64441857.cms). We may educate ourselves but equally important is to educate the rest of the fraternity with whom we share our road space .
Stay safe
Old 6th June 2018, 09:48   #94
Senior - BHPian

Times of India Kolkata has been dedicating a full page or a half page everyday towards this accident, and I have to say, there has been a lot of mature reporting involved. Daily updates of the young teen who has been hospital, and a non-sensationalist analysis of the crash, as and when new information comes through. I was half afraid they would have been running stories about how 'supercar clubs' are meant for racing and a rich vs poor debate.

Interestingly the forensic teams have said that they are having a hard time analysing the wreckage since a lot of the car was altered after the crash and before Mr Roy could be extricated out of the car. First the engine was yanked away from the car, and then the dashboard was cut away. After that the car was literally lifted and dumped into the back of the dump truck. They are willing to work with Ferrari to help them decode the ECU to find more information.

There is a chilling image Mr Roy half-lying outside the car after the crash, with his left-arm grostesquely twisted...a indicator of the force passed onto the hand at the impact moment.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Face the facts - any speed materially above 130 kph is unacceptable on any Indian road, and safe speeds on the typical national highway could well be much lower (though probably still above the 70-80 k limits we see)
I completely agree with your narrative around the circumstances that might have been responsible for this crash.

In a large number of cases (irrespective of the type of vehicle), we are ready to disrespect the law and if caught either we pay the fine or simply try to defend the violation before the authorities / traffic police.

And about truckers, yes they are helpful at times; but many a times they are responsible for complete traffic mismanagement on highways by driving in the overtaking lanes. This triggers overtaking by fast moving vehicles from wrong side.

In western countries, for whatever limited experience of visiting Europe I have; I have not seen buses overtaking each other and follow strict lane discipline, here even the buses compete to collect more passengers.

It is shameful that as a society, we all lack discipline and respect for others. I am sure a democratic setup does not give us such rights of misadventure on the roads.

Off topic: I was amazed to see people carrying out demonstrations against the traffic police for enforcement of helmets (this is slightly dated, but many of us would know which city is being discussed here, Pune - the supposedly evolved cultural capital of India)

Last edited by i74js : 6th June 2018 at 10:11.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:12   #96
Team-BHP Support

I have been seeing one more trend among truckers nowadays, at the slightest given opportunity, they tend to shift to fast-lane [w/o looking or not, I don't know] as they can peacefully chug along. Do bear that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:17   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
2) While not having all the facts, the evidence suggests crazily high speeds here - a California can stop from 100 kph in 34 metres.
The current reports say, the car was accelerating when it had an impact. The tyre marks are 65-70m before the crash site, nothing thereafter. And the tacho is at 6200 rpm (assuming what it displays now is what it was at at the time of impact).

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64471962.cms
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Off topic: I was amazed to see people carrying out demonstrations against the traffic police for enforcement of helmets (this is slightly dated, but many of us would know which city is being discussed here, Pune - the supposedly evolved cultural capital of India)
Most of us in Pune were also flabbergasted by the protests considering the number of fatal accidents involving non helmet wearing two wheelers. But if things are driven by need for garnering publicity, not much can be done about it. Blaming the city here (or bringing its cultural status) is like blaming Ferrari for building a fast car; pretty much pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The current reports say, the car was accelerating when it had an impact. The tyre marks are 65-70m before the crash site, nothing thereafter. And the tacho is at 6200 rpm (assuming what it displays now is what it was at at the time of impact).
It could be possible that the car driver tried to accelerate and overtake the truck before it came onto the right lane. In the video shared in the previous page, there are a few such overtake stunts with very little gap for the car. The gap may have been misjudged and instead of swerving left toward the truck, the car may have been launched away towards the unfortunately placed concrete barrier.
Many such theories will be analysed I guess; this is only one of the possibilities.
Old 6th June 2018, 10:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Most of us in Pune were also flabbergasted by the protests considering the number of fatal accidents involving non helmet wearing two wheelers. But if things are driven by need for garnering publicity, not much can be done about it. Blaming the city here (or bringing its cultural status) is like blaming Ferrari for building a fast car; pretty much pointless.
Please see my signatures; I am from Pune too. My simple submission is if we as residents of the city have not done anything against such protests (very similar to the way we discuss good or bad governments at clubs or in our drawing rooms), it was a surrogate participation from our side. A culturally awake city should have played its role by not letting such things happen.

I too have done nothing except having one or two odd discussions with friends that the insurance companies should stop admitting claims from such negligent riders.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:00   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64471962.cms
When you are driving a very powerful car, you tend to believe that you can out accelerate your way out of tricky situations where other 'pedestrian' cars would prefer to brake. It is a kind of mindset that slowly takes takes over your brain. You start cutting it close and the car's power keeps delivering and pulling you ahead and you start feeling vindicated in taking those risky decisions. You start feeling invincible.

Power is intoxicating and with nearly 600 bhp of it backing a mindset described above, the chances of the driver prefering the A pedal to the B pedal are very very high.
Santoshbhat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 11:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
When you are driving a very powerful car, you tend to believe that you can out accelerate your way out of tricky situations where other 'pedestrian' cars would prefer to brake. It is a kind of mindset that slowly takes takes over your brain. You start cutting it close and the car's power keeps delivering and pulling you ahead and you start feeling vindicated in taking those risky decisions. You start feeling invincible.

Power is intoxicating and with nearly 600 bhp of it backing a mindset described above, the chances of the driver prefering the A pedal to the B pedal are very very high.
Thanks Santoshbhat for describing the phenomena so well. It's too disturbing to see such news so frequently now a days which compelled me to think and hence as suggested in my earlier posts which I know many would hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have been seeing one more trend among truckers nowadays, at the slightest given opportunity, they tend to shift to fast-lane [w/o looking or not, I don't know] as they can peacefully chug along. Do bear that.
Yes very true. I have experienced this many times on Mumbai - Kolhapur highway. These days they some times even do not give you any signal , if you are little away from them they take the liberty to move from left side lane to right side lane , they do it mainly to avoid the heavy two wheeler traffic on left sides. But sometimes if you are fast then it could be dangerous. One should always make the truck driver aware few times ( by using lights and horn ) that you are behind or trying to overtake and keep your speed in control.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th June 2018 at 11:43. Reason: Please use the edit button to add to your post in the first 30 minutes. Posts merged.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

I think #90 onwards the posts though safety related are what I consider Off Topic. Will the mods take care of them.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:34   #103
BHPian

Another video of a drive out from Mr Roy's buddies facebook page, clearly they were not in the business of practicing safe driving.
Not sure in this video or another one, odo does become visible at times and is seen hovering in the range of 150-200.

Also as someone mentioned earlier, the gopros and dashcams have "disappeared", no points for guessing why ?

Old 6th June 2018, 11:37   #104
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that results could have been very different had that railing was not protruding, someone has designed that railing as if someone is going to use it to walk over that bridge.

Absolutely not a correct design.
Attached Thumbnails
Fatal Ferrari California accident in Kolkata-1.jpg  

Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 11:37   #105
BHPian

The deceased Mr Shibaji Roy was a very good acquaintance of mine. I had a very good business relationship with him. Took me a couple of days to come to terms with this tragic news. Contrary to what has been expressed by many members, he was indeed a very sensible driver. He was planning to buy a California for himself and hence was test driving this one. This Sunday drive was a weekend ritual for the Club GT group. We can't really term this as a speed race or so as usually their family members too accompanied the drivers.

Shibaji's son was sitting in this ill-fated car till sometime before the crash. As his friend (the young girl who is fighting for her life in ICU now) wanted to sit in the Ferrari, he switched the ride with her and was travelling in a car that was following the Ferrari.

Shibaji was actually alive for some 45 mins after the crash and his son tried to feed him water. As his leg was stuck behind the steering wheel, it took some time to retrieve him by cutting open the car dash. Pity, he could not be saved. What a jovial guy he was!!
prince0407 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks