Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 14:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Vroom! Vroo..om! Vroo....oom!!
Hi Androdev,
Congratulations on the car! Superb purchase! IIRC, it has got some good after-market pipes right?
I have driven along with the previous owner of this car. She exudes timeless elegance!

Wishing you more smiles per mile
ka51resident is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:52   #32
BHPian

So you now have a garage with the best car in the world, and also the best sports car in the world?

Many congratulations and wishing you tons of memories with your new partner in crime!
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:58   #33
BHPian

Amazing purchase and write up.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole post. Rated 5 stars. Porsche 911 is a dream car for many people and glad you made it a reality.

The car looks brand new considering it's age. Wish you many happy and safe miles on the 911. How much did you have to pay for KA RTO for the road tax?

Again congrats and enjoy your new ride
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:09   #34
BHPian

Very emotive writing! Felt like reading a fiction. Honestly inspired me to someday pen down my feelings when [if] I own my dream car!

Simply amazing buy. Love it. Nothing more to say about this piece of beauty.

To many miles of driving!
slayer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:43   #35
BHPian

My god, what a read. Oh, and what a ride! Now that's how life must be lived: "I'm glad I ate it... I would have hated myself if tomorrow never came!"

I often find myself staring at pics of Porsches, especially the classic '70s and '80s models. It's my dream to own one of these someday; till then, I'm gonna be glued to this thread.

Congratulations on the beauty and wish you years and years of absolute joy in the 911!
sainyamk95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 17:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
Many congratulations on the new ride.
Im sure you will love the engine note of the NA flat 6 and wishing you many more happy miles on this.
Just to confirm, this model came with a 3.6L DFI engine with 345 PS right ?
Yes, it's the 3.6 DFI. I remember reading the review of your beautiful Cayman while my own search was work in progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Any plans to retrofit a minimalist ducktail spoiler like this?
Thanks @//M. Your inputs were very helpful in ruling out the other option I keenly considered - the dealer was not forthcoming with the information I needed and paperwork was not confidence inspiring. And it had aerokit. There you have my answer My preference is to have it without any spolier/kit, etc. - the more socially acceptable the better in my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There was once an enthusiast who said all of this:

and then went out and bought a Porsche..
Ha ha, I echoed the same sentiments in my review, so not much change in my opinion of value proposition offered by Porsche cars in India. I wrote that comment when I was in the middle of Macan evaluation. Macan looked like the perfect choice within my budget because I have been regularly driving MB and BMW during the last 8-9 years and was keen to look at a different brand. I backed off after investing a lot of time on evaluating Macan, as I didn't see value in it compared to other options. I think it is the combination of our cazy import duties and everything-is-an-option approach by Porsche. Maybe MB and BMW sell certain imports with HQ absorbing some cost? I don't know. @Turbonator might know the technical details.

My fav brands are Mercedes and Ferrari, I buy thier t-shirts and caps but not buy their cars unless they offer value. I am sure you understand it is one thing to buy a spartan plastic interior 911 and completely another thing to buy a similarly spec'ed Macan.

The main reason I stuck to the 911 was because it's a genuine sports car with 4 seats and service network. The very first thing I did when I checked the car was to sit in the backseat. As much as I was not a typical S class buyer, I am also not a typical 911 buyer but one thing I realised is that some cars surprise you with their versatality and that's the vibe I got with 911. Time will tell. It's not a vanity purchase, it will never visit Lavelle road and fancy hotels if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
If you don't mind, can you please mention how much does that cost for you?
Will be waiting for your further updates along with an answer to "Kitna deti hai": :P
Sorry I should not ask that question for this car. But still, Indian mindset props up.
Out of respect for the seller, I can't disclose the final price. It was listed for 68L, obviously I negotiated a bit. His argument was "I don't mind waiting for the right buyer, it does not cost me anything to hold the car" - I thought I should use that line when I am a seller in future! Road tax and 'handling' will come close to 15L is what I am told - yes, after discount for older cars!

Fuel economy: 4-5kmpl in the city and highway 7-8kmpl but mind you it really depends on the way it is driven and it makes no sense to drive it for higher FE. It is still using regular petrol, I hope to switch to higher RON fuel - nothing is near by, need to work out the logistics. I will share more accurate details in due course of time.
androdev is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 18:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful car! This is one decision which is straight from the heart! Congratulations, it's one of the best cars you could get to drive. Looking at the 5 pod instrument console, I remembered the countless hours we spent playing NFS- Porsche unleashed back in 2000! In a way, you are getting to play like in the game, in real life; albeit in a much more realistic way! Wish you many happy kilometres with this beauty

Quote:
My wife and kids were screaming in horror "STOP! STOP!!” when I barely tried a kick-down. In that sense, it's mission accomplished!
This sentence pretty much sums up the behaviour of the car! And yes...
W.A.G.7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 18:32   #38
BHPian

Wow! Just Wow! How do people on this forum find such amazing cars (that too in Bangalore )

First of all, the car looks beautiful and menacing. You have managed to purchase an exquisite and unique vehicle. I really hope to spot your car on the streets of Bangalore some day. Porsches are a whole new breed. The way they drive, handle and the attention to detail when it comes to the design is just something else.

Wish you many more phenomenal miles on the beast.
Ciao
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 19:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:

In my defence, I invoke Mahatma Gandhi who once said "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed ... captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit."
Didn't this quote come from the movie "Wall Street" where Gordon Gekko as part of his speech said "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

I really loved this movie.

Was the quote from Gandhiji "The World has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed." ;-)

Anyways, Congratulations on your purchase and I really enjoyed reading through your wonderful thread. The Porsche is one of my dream cars and I would love to get my hands on one some day.......

Please do share your experience of getting the registration changed to KA and your longer term ownership experience with this car.

I look forward to reading your S class thread sometime soon.

Cheers and Happy motoring.
papaboost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Wheels.. .Vroom! Vroom !

The next time I am at home in Bangalore, will certainly look you up for a drive . I loved your writeup.

Last year, we were scouting for an SUV. My search was narrowed to the
1. BMW X3
2. Porsche Macan - Turbo
3. Audi Q5
4. MB GLC300

In that order. When we went to TD the Porsche, it left me totally disappointed. Like you said, the minute you start adding packages and features, the price shoots up.

And to my surprise, we found the perfect GLC. It just ticked all boxes and she came home last December
nikhilarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 22:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha, I echoed the same sentiments in my review, so not much change in my opinion of value proposition offered by Porsche cars in India.
All is forgiven. You have more than atoned for your sins.

Quote:
I backed off after investing a lot of time on evaluating Macan, as I didn't see value in it compared to other options.
It's a bit late in the day to tell you this but a Rapid 1.0 TSI will give you more driving pleasure than a Macan.

Quote:
Maybe MB and BMW sell certain imports with HQ absorbing some cost?
Porsche's have never been mainstream cars like MB and BMW. Their regular clientele are more than willing to pay for the prohibitively priced options. Porsche knows and exploits this to the hilt. Trouble is that they have extended this pricing policy to the rather ordinary Macan. This serves to give their entry level car customers their first sticker shock, but more importantly, get accustomed to the ways of the brand.

Quote:
It's not a vanity purchase, it will never visit Lavelle road and fancy hotels if you know what I mean.
There are only 3 reasons to buy a Porsche 911:

1. Vanity - you've ruled that out. Not that you came across as one among that crowd anyway.

2. Driving pleasure - you don't seem to be excited on that front either.

Which leaves only:

3. Attention of the opposite sex. Now that's a man after my own heart...

Last edited by AMG Power : 11th September 2020 at 22:22.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 01:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

It’s raining Porsches on Team-BHP! Congrats on the purchase. I’ve always liked the Carrera more than the Turbo and GT variants. Please keep updating the thread with your experiences of living with a sportscar in India. Also, it’ll be helpful if you share more about the process of re-registering an out of state car.
Anand123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 08:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
One thing was very clear in my mind though - it had to be a 911.
Awesome choice & car. Wish you lots of treasured moments with the car.

Just went that similar path - a 911 Targa4S, not too long ago. Your thread now inspires me to think about writing my own. Thought that, since I own this car outside India, maybe the forum members might not be that interested in it.

But in short, a 911 is a 911 is a 911. Period. Words fail to describe what I feel, when I look at it, drive it (alternate days, unlike other awesome cars that need to babied) & sometimes even track it.
My eyes tear up with emotion, my heart flutters & I often find myself giggling like a silly little child .

And to answer the question "kitna deti hai" - "itna deti hai, jitna sambhalta nahin" - in English (not literally) - it gives me so much satisfaction & fun & pleasure, that exceeds my senses every time. But in terms of fuel efficiency - usually 6kmpl in the city, 10 on the motorway & 4 on the track. Who cares about fuel efficiency with this car (no, I am not a rich guy - just a cautious over-spender on things & experiences I love).

Vroom for real - My used Porsche 911 (997.2)-20200719_111253.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2023 at 02:48. Reason: Quote trimmed. Picture inserted in-line.
anks_at is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 09:19   #44
BHPian

What a brilliant purchase! Wish you miles of fun.
This would be the car I buy whenever I have the moolah
jaygeetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 09:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaboost View Post
Was the quote from Gandhiji "The World has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed." ;-)
I was paraphrasing No thanks for fact-checking. Just kidding, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Just went that similar path - a 911 Targa4S, not too long ago.
Wow. I am sure you already know, Targa is an epic choice, made even more awesome by beautiful landscapes! It is so many cars rolled into one. I wish I had the choice of buying one here. I guess it must have been a hard-find even in your market.

Quote:
Your thread now inspires me to think about writing my own. Thought that, since I own this car outside India, maybe the forum members might not be that interested in it.
I was also hesitant to start a thread on a 10 year old car which I hardly know how to drive but I guess our personal stories behind such cars are unique and interesting. Your signature shows some really nice cars and I am sure your perspective would make a great read. At the very least, you would have some lovely car pictures for us to enjoy!
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks