Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 10:09   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ducati Monster 796 ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Hmmmm flying eh? Do let me know if you can accomodate something else
Jay Bhai,
Please keep me in the loop as well By the way the pictures are really good and awesome. Wassup with the GoPro Video? Awaiting you to share that video as well.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:25   #167
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It’s been a while I updated the thread. Not riding this weekend (bad weather) means I can spare some time on writing.

Monster’s odo reads a shade under 3000kms. After the first service, it’s always been blissful riding after several restrictions were out. The confidence on the bike has increased thanks to consistent riding and of course with the track days on it. At hindsight I’m myself surprised to have taken it to the track considering the risks involved most notably expenses and spares in case of a crash. But that’s the best thing to have happened. Learn the track and with a Monster. Not only this helped me to become a better rider but like I said before the confidence level has been very high compared to the initial days. As a result fast corners, braking and accelerations have reached a new level, at least for me. The all leather gear and the complete riding gear set up have also induced confidence in taking more and more risks. In a nutshell riding has reached new levels. Credit also goes to my riding group which has been instrumental in maintaining just the right amount of fun with fast speeds and the right riding discipline.

If it all I have to find a fault on the Monster, it would be the light first gear. Guess it has to do with a lighter flywheel. I have stalled in 1st gear on many occasions in heavy traffic. Rest everything is just perfect about the bike and the ride. I consider 80-100BHP as just the right and usable BHP for Indian roads to experience all there is to it about superbikes. There will always be greed for more power but in my books that can be saved for the tracks. On our roads, 100BHP is just about enough to experience all the roads are to offer.

I think this is also the right time to clear some myths or some built in perceptions of a Ducati/twin or 3 cylinder motorcycle. I keep hearing these comments from experienced riders about the twin being all about sound and nothing much. I also keep hearing about the Ducatis and the Triumphs being all about looks and no grunt. I just ask them one question – have you ridden one? The thing here in India is inline-4s are considered the mother of all motorcycle engines. I do not accept it or deny it. For me motorcycling is all about experiencing and discovering yourself. That’s why motorcycling, by a lot of them is considered as religion. Some do that on a twin, some on i-3 and some on an i-4. It’s just plain foolish and immature to out rightly deny something which has not been experienced firsthand. The twins have also made late entry into India. The i-3s have not even come. So just passing blanket statements about them without even riding them is just crazy. Am not blindly defending them just because I own one. I have ridden all the 3 to come to this conclusion. I’m also critical of them being expensive and charging a heavy premium for the brand names compared to the i-4s. But I guess there is nothing perfect in the world. In a perfect world, I would like to have all the 3 in my garage

On Ducati in India, am sure you have been hearing stories all along about the Bangalore dealership and the overall strategy. IMO, the whole business model of Ducati went wrong. It is not easy to set up business of a premium motorcycle in India and make piles of money. The distributor-dealer concept is clearly not working for Ducati. The NCR dealership closed down long ago. Believe it or not, its not only Bangalore which is rumored to close down but also Chennai and Ahmedabad. So, this isn’t because of the Bangalore dealer having got involved with something which he is not supposed to and all other stories. Maybe these things just extrapolate the situation. It’s all about Ducati’s strategy in India. I can’t help but compare Ducati with the other Italian – FIAT. Looks like the Italians have not understood our markets and I own both the brands lol! I just hope things work out best for Ducati in India and the customers can enjoy some of the finest motorcycles there is to offer. The existing customers are not really facing an issue on servicing and maintenance. The service center folks travel to address the customers’ issues although may be understandably delayed for outstations customers. Spares are definitely an issue for the parts not covered in the normal servicing. Like termis, handlebars, low seats…etc. For prospective customers, I would advise them to hold on for now and see what gives for the next 3-4 months. They have no stock of the new motorcycles. The 2012 models will arrive only in Jan-Feb time frame. In Bangalore, rest assured there will be no new motorcycles sold in this year.

So, do I regret buying a Ducati given the current situation? Owning and riding this motorcycle has been one of the best things to happen to me in a long time. I remember the days when I used to run errands on a Luna and Scooty and a 100cc motorcycle. I used to envy the superbikes in my hometown and always wondered what it takes to own one of them. Fast forward, when I have one purely on my own account and efforts, the feeling is priceless. The motorcycle alone has given me immense pleasure and helped me in becoming one of those religious motorcyclists. The rides have always been pleasurable and memorable. Am not one of those tourer kinds where I want to take it where I want to and get acknowledged for doing justice to the bike and all that stuff. Whatever riding I’ve been doing and will do will be on the streets, a few highways and most definitely the tracks. So, for whatever it has given me and have been giving me, I have absolutely no regrets. Unlike many hearsay stories, the bike has been as reliable as any and I don’t see it playing games unless I want it to. I’ve written earlier on what I think about Ducati in India. I only hope they emerge from wherever they are and help rebuild the brand image and gain customer confidence.
JVH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 15:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

^well said. Criticism should be constructive.
I am in for a Bike and I am waiting at the sidelines. Thanks for your perspective. Cheers!
Old 26th November 2011, 19:18   #169
Senior - BHPian

Jay,
Needless to say Duc has been ridiculed by many including me based on my 15 minute outing, but after seeing your bike and the rides we have had together it has changed quite a bit. Hopefully rest of world see the fine line and just get on being motorcyclists rather than indulge in "My Bike Is The Best'.
A bit sad to see the current plight of Duc owners as it does rob away the peace of mind and you tend to be extra-cautious with her. Pretty sure they will overcome their current scenario and very soon it ought to turn BAU.
In the meanwhile i suppose the best plan is to ride her and the delight she brings overcomes all these aspects. Been quite a while since we rode, hopefully December sees some action
Old 26th November 2011, 21:01   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is also the right time to clear some myths or some built in perceptions of a Ducati/twin or 3 cylinder motorcycle. I keep hearing these comments from experienced riders about the twin being all about sound and nothing much. I also keep hearing about the Ducatis and the Triumphs being all about looks and no grunt. I just ask them one question – have you ridden one? The thing here in India is inline-4s are considered the mother of all motorcycle engines. I do not accept it or deny it. For me motorcycling is all about experiencing and discovering yourself. That’s why motorcycling, by a lot of them is considered as religion. Some do that on a twin, some on i-3 and some on an i-4. It’s just plain foolish and immature to out rightly deny something which has not been experienced firsthand. The twins have also made late entry into India. The i-3s have not even come. So just passing blanket statements about them without even riding them is just crazy. Am not blindly defending them just because I own one. I have ridden all the 3 to come to this conclusion. I’m also critical of them being expensive and charging a heavy premium for the brand names compared to the i-4s. But I guess there is nothing perfect in the world. In a perfect world, I would like to have all the 3 in my garage
Wonderfully put into perspective Jayant. Couldnt agree more.

On this side of the fence, it used to be Ninja vs. CBR. On other patches of grass its the busa vs. the ZX-14R or the ZZR1400. But thankfully the passion to ride and enjoy the bikes dissolves all the man-talk and ego. I'd love to ride these varied machines and experience the differences in character. After all, Catherine Zeta Jones and Angelina Jolie are different in their own way
Old 28th November 2011, 09:49   #171
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
In the meanwhile i suppose the best plan is to ride her and the delight she brings overcomes all these aspects. Been quite a while since we rode, hopefully December sees some action
Of course, if anything, it is me who is doing injustice by not riding enough. Am not a vagabond anymore you know ;-).

So, Horsley hills it is for this weekend. Hope you are joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
After all, Catherine Zeta Jones and Angelina Jolie are different in their own way
Precisely! Am not sure who in their right sense would deny riding both of them

A small update - Chain adjuster tool arrived last Saturday. Makes the job so much easier now instead of going to the service center or calling someone from there. Also arrived is the oil filter wrench. Ordered it in advance so that I can change the oil and oil filter myself around 6-7K mark. Don't want to wait till 12K for that.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, if anything, it is me who is doing injustice by not riding enough. Am not a vagabond anymore you know ;-).

So, Horsley hills it is for this weekend. Hope you are joining.
Not yet firmed up buddie for this weekend's ride but yes i would love to join the gang for the ride. Would not mind baby sitting your bike in my house or on the road as i understand you have some serious stuff on your hands :P
Old 7th February 2012, 18:25   #173
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for not updating for a while.

I crashed on 3rd Dec while taking a right corner just before Horsley hills. I was late to see the gravel on road, as a result of which I panic – braked and slid. Broke my left wrist and was hospitalized for a few days. Recovery is progressing well though not completely recovered to ride; it may be a month or 2 away.

The bike suffered damages but surprisingly not that much considering it toppled and slid for quite a distance. Ducati India is not able to procure parts for some reason and I’ve lost hope in expecting anything from them. Right now am trying to source the parts through a supplier or an importer so that I can go ahead in repairing the same.

I wish to thank Santosh, Mahesh, Aditya, Sukesh, Mohith, Abhishek and my other buddies in my riding group who helped me on that disastrous day and made sure that the bike and I reached home safely.

Thanks to my riding gear which minimized my crash impact. Please wear all the gear all the time. You never know when the odds turn against you. In my 21 years of riding, this is the first time I broke something on my body and it was not a pleasant experience.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 18:49   #174
Senior - BHPian

Get well soon Jayant. Waiting to ride along soon.
Quote:
Thanks to my riding gear which minimized my crash impact. Please wear all the gear all the time. You never know when the odds turn against you. In my 21 years of riding, this is the first time I broke something on my body and it was not a pleasant experience.
Definitely agree 200% on the riding gears. Without them it would have been a disastrous.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Good lord, I hope the pain and aches go away in a jiffy.

You take care and the bike will come long just fine.

Heal properly before you ride again. All the best mate.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:20   #176
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you are OK with the exception of the fracture. I was also wondering on your other thread why you were looking for insurance...Anyway, forget the Ducati dealer route for parts as Adnan also told me his miseries with ordering after his fall.

Anyway, for all of we bikers, when we think we have done it all and learnt it all, the bike gives us the next lesson in riding....

Wish you a fast recovery and I am sure your riding confidence would only have improved with this incident and you will be back in the saddle soon.

Get well & ride safe
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:47   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I crashed on 3rd Dec while taking a right corner just before Horsley hills. I was late to see the gravel on road, as a result of which I panic – braked and slid. Broke my left wrist and was hospitalized for a few days.....
Oh boy! Very sorry to hear about the crash Jayant. I had a faint doubt when you started a thread for importing the parts. But was not aware that you fractured your wrist. But like Santosh has said, without the gear, it might have been worse.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and to get back on the saddle soon!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 21:46   #178
BHPian

Quote:

I crashed on 3rd Dec while taking a right corner just before Horsley hills. I was late to see the gravel on road, as a result of which I panic – braked and slid. Broke my left wrist and was hospitalized for a few days. Recovery is progressing well though not completely recovered to ride; it may be a month or 2 away.

The bike suffered damages but surprisingly not that much considering it toppled and slid for quite a distance. Ducati India is not able to procure parts for some reason and I’ve lost hope in expecting anything from them. Right now am trying to source the parts through a supplier or an importer so that I can go ahead in repairing the same.

I wish to thank Santosh, Mahesh, Aditya, Sukesh, Mohith, Abhishek and my other buddies in my riding group who helped me on that disastrous day and made sure that the bike and I reached home safely.

Hi JVH. Sorry to hear about the crash. Commenting because coincidentally i have had *nearly* the same experience. I crashed 2 weeks ago. A car T-boned me in an intersection, totally the drivers fault. Like you, the bike suffered minimal damage considering it was hit broadside by a car doing around 50-60km per hour. Unlike you i didn't break anything, but my shoulder and foot were hurt, still nursing them. Was wearing full gear, otherwise would have been worse, especially for my foot. My 4 year old Alpinestars paid for themselves in full on that day! As for the experience with Ductati India: NO spares available. None. how does that happen? Whats the point of having dealers if they don't carry ANY spares? Wrote this question on the Ducati India wall, it was deleted immediately. Anyway, what is your insurance guy saying about buying the parts over the net? I was considering the same but not sure of how it would work with the insurance company. Take care and hope you are back on 2 wheels asap!
shayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 22:09   #179
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident Jayanth, please take complete rest & get well soon, take care.
sanjaymugur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 23:25   #180
Senior - BHPian

Came here to see after reading your new thread on spare part importer. Happy that there is nothing major, wishing you a speedy recovery Jayant..
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks