Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

That’s another reason I follow your thread so closely as my garage is nearly setup as yours I too have a pre owned Ninja 650 which I got off from a friend and it was as good as new. I almost landed up buying a super low, and backed out last minute as I found it too good to be true. Was a very few kms very less price bike but had no service history. And now looking to buy my first big cruiser. I agree with you that no matter how comfortable a sports tourer is,it will never beat the comfort of a cruiser.
I was always against buying pre owned but now more than half my garage is pre owned and touch wood have been lucky so far. If patient and with a little bit of luck you can strike a great deal!
Please do keep updating this thread as I would love to know how this goes.
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 15:33   #152
Senior - BHPian

So back to riding after a hiatus of almost one year, as I was mostly abroad in the previous year, starts with this 200kms ride I did yesterday -

Wide open roads, at last
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-hertiage-ride-23022020_1.jpg

Quite a gang and plethora of bike brands today
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-hertiage-ride-23022020_2.jpg

Tea stop
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-hertiage-ride-23022020_3.jpg

202 kms today
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-hertiage-ride-23022020_4.jpg

The bike crosses the 15000 kms mark and performs flawlessly as the day I bought it.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-hertiage-ride-23022020-15272kms_5.jpg

Also got a small nick nack in this custom screw holding the pillion seat
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-seat-screw-17062019.jpg

Cheers for now...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 16:28   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Quite a gang and plethora of bike brands today
Attachment 1973084

Cheers for now...
Coincidentally, on my Pune - Bbay run yesterday (Sunday) I saw the exact same color combo silver Thruxton - rider had stopped for breakfast at Lonavla where I had halted.

My personal opinion - the changes the owner of the pictured bike has made (normal handlebar and large flyscreen) have totally spoilt the charm and character of the stock Thruxton. An iconic style has been reverse modified to look more like a normal bonnie with those changes.

Do keep your posts coming. I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on a BS 4 deal Ninja 1000 just from reading your beautiful ownership review on it.
Old 14th March 2021, 19:38   #154
Senior - BHPian

Rear Brake Pads Replaced - 15,812 kms - 09-03-2021

The rear brake pads were nearly gone and I felt the rear brake feel to be very mushy on a recent ride. So decided to change the Rear Brake Pads and replace as much of the DOT 4 brake fluid as possible of the rear master cylinder.

Odo at 15812 kms

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_1.jpg

The Brake Pads which I had procured nearly a year back. Part # is 42298-08, MRP Rs. 3989/- for the set

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_2.jpg

One of them has a Stainless Steel backing plate as the caliper has only a single side 2-piston system pushing in.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_3.jpg

First job was to remove the Right Side Saddle Bag and one of the Exhaust Slip-Ons, process for which I had already detailed in my previous post about the rear wheel removal guide.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_4.jpg

The Rear Caliper is held in place by 2 x T40 Bolts which were removed

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_5.jpg

The Mounting Bolt on the left and the 2nd one on the right is the Slider Pin

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_6.jpg

The next job was to loosen (without removing) the Brake Pad PIN. Also this needs to be done while the Caliper is still mounted although the bolts are removed, because it would be difficult to remove this pin if the caliper was totally removed. This uses a 1/4" 12 point socket head. Normal 1/4" 4 point or 8 point ones won't work. Sourced this tool from a 'Kabari' with great difficulty. Harley and their non-metric based SAE tools systems... uff

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_7.jpg

After loosening this pin, the brake caliper was finally removed from the rear caliper mount

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_8.jpg

At this point I felt one of the T40 mounting pins, circled in red, was loosing traction due to the screw threads flushing out on rear caliper mount. Hence while re-assembly I used Loctite 243 (Blue Threadlocker) on this particular bolt.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_9.jpg

The old brake pads were inspected after removing the loosened Brake Pad Pin.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_10.jpg

The old and the new pads alongwith all the 3 bolts/pins that need to be removed

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_11.jpg

A comparison of the old and the new pad's surface material left.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_12.jpg

Now the Rear Brake Pad fluid Reservoir was opened up to release the pressure on the brake fluid and the Brake Caliper Pistons were compressed with a 'Crow Pliers' also known as water pump pliers while using the old brake pad and some cloth on the lower side (to avoid scratches) to compress.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_13.jpg

The pistons fully compressed. Maximum amount of old Dot 4 brake fluid was removed with a 20ml syringe and replaced with some fresh stuff from a sealed bottle, into the reservoir. All the parts were thoroughly cleaned with WD40 while taking care not soil any of the contact surfaces of the brake pads or the brake disk.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_14.jpg

The caliper mount and the Torque Clip were inspected and cleaned with care with WD40

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_15.jpg

New pads ready to be installed. Little layer of lithium grease was scuffed on their rear (non-contact) surfaces to prevent rattling and screeching.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_16.jpg

New Pads in place

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_17.jpg

All cleaned up. Brake Pad install complete. The brake fluid reservoir was topped up after a few pumps to the rear brake pedal till it re-acquires it's firmness and the reservoir cap was cleaned and tightened with it's 2 Philips head screws. I went for a short test ride and found everything to be working perfectly and no ABS light error.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_18.jpg

PS -
Since I had felt one the T40 caliper bolts flushing out, I called for the rear caliper mount from Capital Harley dealership at Gurgaon/Mathura Road.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-softail-rear-brake-calpier-parts.jpg

Luckily they had the part in stock. Part # is 42895-08A and MRP is Rs. 4012/-, just in case I had to replace it in the near future. Although the Loctite 243 blue threadlocker was working perfectly for now.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_19.jpg

Here's a look at the rear caliper mount in details. This requires only the rear tyre to be removed (already detailed before) as it tightens with the rear axle rod.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_20.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_21.jpg

And the Bike is ready to Rock and Roll

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-rear-brake-pads-replaced-15812kms-09032021_22.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th March 2021 at 19:47.
dkaile is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 09:31   #155
Senior - BHPian

Update 26-04-2023 - 16894 kms

The Heritage Softail is chugging along just fine and today stands at 16894kms. Due to multiple bikes in the garage mileage remains low -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-26042023-16894kms.jpg

Getting some TLC

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-19022023.jpg

Battery was nearing 5 years since I last replaced it in June 2018 and was showing some end of life traits like a hiccup before starting. I had a Interceptor 650 Battery lying around which I tried testing on this bike. It's a 14Ah unit compared to the stock 17.5Ah one. Besides that the terminal orientation is also reversed. Here's a look at both of them side by side -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-250320232.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-250320233.jpg

It however fitted nicely into the battery compartment under the rider's seat. I was also able to stretch and join the terminals to the correct polarity without much issue as is visible in the picture below. The bike started in half a crank without any issues! I tried it multiple times and the the result was the same. So I was a happy man as the stock battery costs almost 4 times this Interceptor 650 battery, and this one can do the job. However the stock battery still had some juice left, so reverted back to it with my trusted, 10 year old, trickle charger still working perfectly and doing a fine job maintaining the stock battery into it's 5th year -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-250320231.jpg

On a recent 100km Sunday Ride, marking it's territory... lolz (it's just water btw) -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-26032023.jpg

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 26th April 2023 at 09:33.
dkaile is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 18:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Harley Heritage Fuel Line Leak - 15-02-2024

So one fine day I was about to go for a ride and started the bike when I noticed that fuel had started leaking from the Check valve -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-fuel-line-leak-15022024_1.jpg

I removed the fuel pipe by raising the check valve and releasing and some fuel was still leaking (which ideally should not).

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-fuel-line-leak-15022024_2.jpg

It is a common issue with Harleys as the O-rings (3 of them in the whole line) go bad over the years. Now instead of just giving us the O-rings of the exact size, Harley wants us to replace the entire assembly consisting of 2 parts - a Quick connect valve which goes inside the tank and attaches to the fuel pump inside and a tank to intake Fuel Line. I decided to first try to repair it with O-rings, if possible.

1 O-ring was fixed in the intake fuel line -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-fuel-line-leak-15022024_3.jpg

And 2 more inside the Check Valve -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-fuel-line-leak-15022024_4.jpg

My assortment of O-rings-

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-fuel-line-leak-15022024_5.jpg

The Fuel Leak stopped for the time being under pressure from the fuel pump. Will have to see how it holds when the pressure diminishes itself when the bike is left unused for a few days.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 20:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

Harley Heritage BATTERY & Fuel Line purchased - 29-02-2024

So the fuel line fix of the O-rings was working but after release of the fuel pump pressure, I could feel a very slight bleed when I touched the check valve. Perhaps, if we got the exact size of O-rings needed from Harley, this could have been a permanent fix. Not willing to take a risk, as this bike will be a keeper for my grand kids, I decided to get the fuel line changed. Also the OE BATTERY was last replaced in 2018, so it had served me well for 6 years. So I decided to bite then bullet and get it changed with the OE one (which costs a arm and a limb) rather than do the experimentation with the Interceptor one (which BTW was working perfectly in my BMW 1250 GSA, as it was a exact fit and current rating for that bike as the OE BMW one).

So the parts were received. First the OE Harley Battery (17.5Ah rating) -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_1.jpg

Now being imported by Hero Motocorp directly from the US of A at a princely sum of Rs. 11,508/- !!

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_2.jpg

Next was the new Fuel Line - tank to intake for Rs. 3886/-

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_3.jpg

And then there was the Quick Connect Fuel Valve for Rs. 3475/-. This goes inside the fuel tank and connects to the fuel pump -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_4.jpg

A close look at the Quick Connect Check valve

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_5.jpg

And the 2 O-rings inside which go bad, in my case after 12 years! One is visible in the middle and one on the top -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_6.jpg

And the O-ring inside the Fuel Line -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_7.jpg

The battery was tested and the voltage was found to be perfect -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_8.jpg

A princely sum of Rs. 18,869/- was paid for these 3 parts, main cost being the battery -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_9.jpg

Now since I was not comfortable with opening up the fuel tank, I asked for the Harley technician to pay a visit to Meerut. since the price of the visit was quite reasonable, I decided to get the bike serviced also, as all these parts were already lying with me since last 5 years -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_10.jpg

Also got my lift ready, in case he needed it -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-battery-fuel-valve-line-29022024_11.jpg

More to follow...

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 30th March 2024 at 20:05.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 12:12   #158
Senior - BHPian

3rd Service - 16000km (10000 miles) Service - 01-03-2024 @16987 kms

So after nearly 8625kms and 8+ years, it was time to once again to service the bike.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_19.jpg

My trusted technician was called in from Delhi and was all ready to get started -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_1.jpg

The service, as I had mentioned earlier is a 3 hole service...lolz, as it involves draining oil from 3 separate hole. 1st is the main crankshaft or engine oil - takes in 3 quarts, 2nd is the Transmission or gear oil - 28 ounces or approx 1 quart and 3rd is the Clutch or as is called in Harley terminology - The Primary which again takes in 1 quart (1 quart = 32 ounces = 946 ml). So a total of 5 quarts oil of is needed. I have already attached procedural videos in my previous posts, as to how to do the same.

The main engine oil drain plug cleaned up and O ring changed -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_2.jpg

Engine oil being drained -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_3.jpg

Primary or Clutch Oil being drained -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_4.jpg

Gear oil is changed and gear oil dipstick (of full chrome) is cleaned -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_5.jpg

Oil Filter is being opened by special tool that I have -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_6.jpg

The old Oil Filter after 8 years. The oil condition was black but not to the extent that I or the technician thought. That's the quality of Harley OE oil -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_7.jpg

New Oil being pre-lubricated in the new Oil Filter. This oil was in sealed storage for over 5 years and you can see the quality is exactly like fresh which was again confirmed by the technician. So don't always go by the urban myths.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_8.jpg

The Chrome Primary cover is cleaned and orange seal is changed with new -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_9.jpg

1 quart oil being filled in the Clutch/Primary by desi jugaad (though there exists a special spout for the same from Harley) -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_10.jpg

Now the next major job to tackle was to open up the fuel tank to remove the fuel pump and to it attach the new Fuel Quick Release Check Valve that was bleeding (which had already been procured with the battery as mentioned in my previous posts). So it involves first opening up the single nut as shown by the red arrow -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_11.jpg

To reveal the Fuel Pump which needs to be opened by the 10 torx screws visible in the photo -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_12.jpg

The fuel pump was lifted carefully -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_13.jpg

To release this old fuel line going to the Quick release valve -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_14.jpg

The fuel pump dismantled after release of the fuel lines -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_15.jpg

New Fuel line was attached and the fuel pump put back in place -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_16.jpg

And finally closed up again -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_17.jpg

The spark plugs were changed. A view of the old and the new -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_18.jpg

The 2nd fuel line attachment was a simple plug and play. The Air Filter was also changed with new. The new battery was also installed under the seat. Photos of all these I have posted several times in the past. Finally the bike was serviced and ready to rumble for another few years -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-service-16987-kms-01032024_20.jpg

A 100kms ride was undertaken shortly after to check everything was working OK -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-ride-10032024_1.jpg

The technician had mentioned that the Front Brake Master Cylinder has aged and the O-rings inside had deteriorated. The options were either to replace the whole unit at a exorbitant cost or to have it rebuilt at a fraction of the cost (Rs. 3278/-). So the Front Brake master Cylinder Rebuild Kit was called upon from the dealership -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-12032024_1.jpg

Made in the USA -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-12032024_2.jpg

Turned out to be just a small plastic piece with spring and O-rings. How they overcharge for these small parts. But came with a detailed instructions -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-12032024_3.jpg

The Rebuild kit and Instructions -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-12032024_4.jpg

Luckily the technician was again in town for some other buddies job and he came to replace the kit. Bike crosses the 17k km mark -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-cylinder-kit-brake-oil-change-17071km-30032024_1.jpg

Both front and rear brake oil was also pretty old and grimy and was replaced by OE Harley DOT 4 oil -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-cylinder-kit-brake-oil-change-17071km-30032024_2.jpg

MRP was 1670/-, got it at a discounted rate however -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-cylinder-kit-brake-oil-change-17071km-30032024_3.jpg

Now the Service was truly complete and bike back to pristine fit and finish. Can you imagine this bike is now 12 years old!! Such was the build quality of the true Harleys of yolk -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-heritage-front-cylinder-kit-brake-oil-change-17071km-30032024_4.jpg

Cheers for now...

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st April 2024 at 13:43. Reason: edited
dkaile is online now   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks