Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 11:42   #76
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Back to the topic, I'm also curious to see if the versys will take away sales from bigger, pricier adventure bikes like the Tiger 800 and its own bigger 1000cc Versys brother.
Me one of them. If not for this, might have waited to muster the courage to go for Tiger Xr. V1000 is known to have not met the sales as expected. Its a decent value for money proposition at higher price bracket, but the Tiger range would be eating into its sales.
We do talk of a lack of a good, reliable all rounder bike in the 500-800cc segment, but for it to really burn the sale figures, it should not be priced upwards of 3-4L. I feel a lot of people touring on enfields, CBRs, Dukes, etc will easily stretch the budget to around 3-4L mark for something worthwhile. And there are a LOT of users in this segment, but for 7+L, the numbers drastically reduce. Bikes like ktm 390 are super successful for the value at a comfortable price bracket.
I am sure the Yet to be launched RE Himalayan will be super successful, even if it mildly delivers on promises mainly cos of cost bracket.

BTW, any news the Versys 650 from other cities like Mumbai, Pune, Huderabad and Delhi? Display bike? Test rides? etc.

Quote:
WOW... I would lose it if I had that lineup. What's next? He wants to pick the Tiger Explorer?

I agree about the Multistrada though. What a machine! Jaw dropping in quite a literal sense, because my wife had to hold my chin up the entire time we were in the UB City showroom.
His dreams have come true with the two. So no Explorer.
Here you see them both in the pic. the GS in the background, and that me checking the ergos on the ducati.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-12418087_10154555509298228_7380003845951908789_n.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 8th January 2016 at 11:48.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 13:36   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Me one of them. If not for this, might have waited to muster the courage to go for Tiger Xr. V1000 is known to have not met the sales as expected. Its a decent value for money proposition at higher price bracket, but the Tiger range would be eating into its sales.
We do talk of a lack of a good, reliable all rounder bike in the 500-800cc segment, but for it to really burn the sale figures, it should not be priced upwards of 3-4L. I feel a lot of people touring on enfields, CBRs, Dukes, etc will easily stretch the budget to around 3-4L mark for something worthwhile. And there are a LOT of users in this segment, but for 7+L, the numbers drastically reduce. Bikes like ktm 390 are super successful for the value at a comfortable price bracket.
I am sure the Yet to be launched RE Himalayan will be super successful, even if it mildly delivers on promises mainly cos of cost bracket.

BTW, any news the Versys 650 from other cities like Mumbai, Pune, Huderabad and Delhi? Display bike? Test rides? etc.

His dreams have come true with the two. So no Explorer.
Here you see them both in the pic. the GS in the background, and that me checking the ergos on the ducati.
I too have booked Versys 650 on Jan 1st 2016 and still wondering if I should go for 1000 or something like Ducati. My son somehow keeps cribbing on 650 as he thinks it could be a downgrade (I currently own a Harley 883 Iron) and suggesting to go for some solid sports tourers. I am a peaceful rider and happy to cruise at 90-100kmph and definitely not comfortable with the sports bikes and their aggressive riding postures.

So, I am trying to look at bikes that offer a lot of safety features including ABS, traction controls etc.

I think Versys 650 and 1000 seem a bit pricey compared to their competition and yet offer less. However, their reviews claim they are awesome and come with Japanese reliability and trouble free ownership.

Does anyone know how much the Multistrada costs on road? I see that it is listed as 14.42 ex-showroom Delhi. Should be around 16.5 I guess. Can Multistrada be considered a good touring bike?

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 8th January 2016, 14:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So, I am trying to look at bikes that offer a lot of safety features including ABS, traction controls etc.
How about the new tiger variants with all ride by wire, ABS, traction control, riding modes, fully adjustable shocks, etc. Multistrada 1200S costs 20L+ OTR in Bangalore, not sure on the other variant.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 14:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
How about the new tiger variants with all ride by wire, ABS, traction control, riding modes, fully adjustable shocks, etc. Multistrada 1200S costs 20L+ OTR in Bangalore, not sure on the other variant.
Sorry for the again.

I keep seeing a lot of niggles on the Tiger and for 13+ L it only offers 800cc. Have to go and take a look in person. Some of my friends have got the XCX version and they recommend that over Versys 1000. At the same time, some of my friends who got Versys 1000 vouch for this over the others.

More suggestions and more confusion.

Do you really know what is different in the S version from the base 1200 version? Comparison shows difference in the suspension. I expected 1200 should be 16+ L on road.
Old 8th January 2016, 15:46   #80
BHPian

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-kaw...-review-india/

Shumi says, "Here then, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the finest purchases a hard core rider can make right now."

http://overdrive.in/news/image-galle...650-road-test/

http://overdrive.in/features/choosin...the-ninja-650/

You can't go wrong with the Versys 650, go for it @nasirkaka!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 8th January 2016 at 15:50. Reason: Added URL
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-kaw...-review-india/

Shumi says, "Here then, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the finest purchases a hard core rider can make right now."

http://overdrive.in/news/image-galle...650-road-test/

http://overdrive.in/features/choosin...the-ninja-650/

You can't go wrong with the Versys 650, go for it @nasirkaka!
Thanks for these links. I have not seen them before. No news on the test ride vehicle yet. IMO, it is going to take another month or so. Hoping not to cancel my Jan 1st booking of this. My friend who has the Versys 1000 vouches for it. He gets 22kmpl. Inline four is a music to listen to. Not sure how the 650 sounds (sounded more like my son's CBR 250R and it was very disappointing). I keep getting an urge to consider that too at times. Difficult to control myself

Last edited by vprabu : 8th January 2016 at 17:47.
vprabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 18:37   #82
BHPian

Here's the video review! And the exhaust note too...

Cheers
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 19:59   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from Hyderabad

Spoke to the head of Kawasaki Hyderabad Dealerships and he gave me a lot of information. Here goes :-

1. Hyderabad Ex-Showroom is INR 6,71,057/- and OTR INR 7,50,000/-

2. No Discounts ( No harm in trying..eh? )

3. Hyderabad Display bike is being dispatched on Monday and will be here on Thursday ( Jan 14th)

4. Booking Amount is INR 50,000/-. You will lose INR 5000/- if you decide to cancel the booking

5. Service Intervals are 5000kms but, he recommended 8000kms for servicing and he said this might get changed in future. They use MOTUL oil for servicing.

6. Approximate cost per service INR 3000/- to INR 3500/- and Kawasaki Hyderabad showroom would be able to do it themselves as they have already received the training

7. Versys 650 will be delivered within 15 days from date of booking. He was emphatic that they might deliver it before 15 days also but, not later

8. Test Ride Bike will arrive week of Jan 21st but, I was promised a quick test ride based on my rapport with Kawasaki head for Hyderabad. Test ride will not be given to everyone but, to a limited set of folks who are serious or have booked the bike

He seems more excited than me with the bike so I think it's really good !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 22:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Update from Hyderabad

Spoke to the head of Kawasaki Hyderabad Dealerships and he gave me a lot of information. Here goes :-

1. Hyderabad Ex-Showroom is INR 6,71,057/- and OTR INR 7,50,000/-

2. No Discounts ( No harm in trying..eh? )

3. Hyderabad Display bike is being dispatched on Monday and will be here on Thursday ( Jan 14th)

4. Booking Amount is INR 50,000/-. You will lose INR 5000/- if you decide to cancel the booking

5. Service Intervals are 5000kms but, he recommended 8000kms for servicing and he said this might get changed in future. They use MOTUL oil for servicing.

6. Approximate cost per service INR 3000/- to INR 3500/- and Kawasaki Hyderabad showroom would be able to do it themselves as they have already received the training

7. Versys 650 will be delivered within 15 days from date of booking. He was emphatic that they might deliver it before 15 days also but, not later

8. Test Ride Bike will arrive week of Jan 21st but, I was promised a quick test ride based on my rapport with Kawasaki head for Hyderabad. Test ride will not be given to everyone but, to a limited set of folks who are serious or have booked the bike

He seems more excited than me with the bike so I think it's really good !!!
Update from Chennai:

Ex-showroom: 671057.00
Insurance 16842.00 (New India Assurance, Bumper to Bumper with 0 Dep)
Regn.&roadtax 54535.00
Incidental charges. 990.00
On road cost- 743424.00

Strictly no test ride.

Dispatch Info: First (hopefully mine) bike reaches Chennai on 14-Jan-2016. Since this being the new bike he is not sure of the RTO registration time frame. He said it can take anywhere from 1 month to 3 months.

I can go and check the bike next week. I wonder how Hyderabad can deliver soon. I paid Rs.40000 since I booked when their system was not ready. Hopefully, there is no screw up on this later.
vprabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 21:59   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452356523.595313.jpgKawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452356538.378638.jpg

I checked out the Versys 1000 today and it is simply too huge and size-wise quite intimidating. If the V650 is almost same dimensions then it will most certainly not going to be a daily bike for folks contemplating it riding it daily. I kind of mis-judged the overall size of the bike

Fantastic customer service at Kawasaki CBU dealership and they got the display bike of its paddock stands and let me climb on it and get a good feel of it including starting the motor and by god that inline 4 motor is super sweet sounding. The nice guy incharge was lamenting that they started that particular showroom operations 2.5 months back and haven't sold a single V1000 in contrast to 8 Z800 sold. And if V650 is really good in performance people will opt for it and they might not even sell a single V1000. LOL!

He was trying to sell me z800 and even offered a longish test ride for it but I politely declined though sat on Z800 and its seating posting isnt as bad as Triumph Street Tripple and engine sounded really nice. I mean its slightly more upright and i am clear that i don't need any bike with a hard core racing bike position.

Here are a few pictures of yours truly on the big brother. If V650 is same size. Boy! Its going to be fun especially since it will be lighter and easier in maneurevbility but strictly for long rides and not sure how it can be comfortable in bumper to bumper city traffic conditions
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 12:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1458716Attachment 1458718

I checked out the Versys 1000 today and it is simply too huge and size-wise quite intimidating. If the V650 is almost same dimensions then it will most certainly not going to be a daily bike for folks contemplating it riding it daily. I kind of mis-judged the overall size of the bike

Fantastic customer service at Kawasaki CBU dealership and they got the display bike of its paddock stands and let me climb on it and get a good feel of it including starting the motor and by god that inline 4 motor is super sweet sounding. The nice guy incharge was lamenting that they started that particular showroom operations 2.5 months back and haven't sold a single V1000 in contrast to 8 Z800 sold. And if V650 is really good in performance people will opt for it and they might not even sell a single V1000. LOL!

He was trying to sell me z800 and even offered a longish test ride for it but I politely declined though sat on Z800 and its seating posting isnt as bad as Triumph Street Tripple and engine sounded really nice. I mean its slightly more upright and i am clear that i don't need any bike with a hard core racing bike position.

Here are a few pictures of yours truly on the big brother. If V650 is same size. Boy! Its going to be fun especially since it will be lighter and easier in maneurevbility but strictly for long rides and not sure how it can be comfortable in bumper to bumper city traffic conditions
Yes. Somehow I felt that it looked too huge when inside the showroom. However, when I sat on my friend's bike this morning, it looked ok. It felt very light as well, though on paper it weighs around 250kgs.

Since the pillion side is elevated, I found it difficult to lift my leg up to that height and throw it on the other side. My friend suggested that we have to climb up using the foot peg and throw the leg on the other side and remove the side stand once seated. I am 6" and I can rest my feet properly on the roads. It looked planted and not tip toed.

He mentioned that it is good for City too. I think Versys 650 is almost the same size (width 3" less, and the length is 4" less, height remains the same). After seeing a lot of reviews on the YouTube, I am very sure that 650 will be really good even for the streets. He said he rode even during the floods and the water level was at the exhaust level.
Old 10th January 2016, 12:31   #87
BHPian

Size wise all these bikes are BIG, especially what we are used to see bikes as.
However once astride and moving is hardly a problem.
Happened to be astride a Tiger Explorer once and when it started moving all my apprehension went away. I am only 5 10 and again I was tip toeing.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
However, when I sat on my friend's bike this morning, it looked ok. It felt very light as well, though on paper it weighs around 250kgs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Happened to be astride a Tiger Explorer once and when it started moving all my apprehension went away. I am only 5 10 and again I was tip toeing.
Yes, I agree with you guys. In a closed environment, perhaps the size looks very big. But, this perception might change when you actually see the bike on road.

I rode the Tiger 800 extensively and also Tiger 1200 so I am familiar with how these tall bike ride and despite its weight how effortless it is to ride them when your on the move. So I am expecting the V650 to be no different but, riding it daily as a commuter bike? Well, will take a call on that only after seeing/riding one in person

Here are some live pictures of V650 in Mumbai. Looks like being dispatched to some other cities for delivery. Quality looks really good and size doesn't look that big from these pictures...I am confused now.....This confusion will clear only when I see the bike on Thursday/Friday

P.S : On a side note, yesterday the first Triumph Tiger Off-road training happened in Hyderabad (it will be conducted in all cities) and I could not attend it due to personal reasons despite several follow-ups from them....Would have learnt a thing or two of how to ride these tall bikes on bad tarmac
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_7490.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_7491.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_7489.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 10:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused now.....This confusion will clear only when I see the bike on Thursday/Friday
Hey avi welcome back to India mate. It's nice to see you astride on the Kawasaki Versys 1000 which happens to be my favourite bike in the ADV tourer category. That inline 4 motor on the Versys 1000 is from the Z1000/Ninja 1000. It is tuned for a better bottom end and midrange power as compared to its sports siblings. I see you are serious about your ADV motorcycle acquisition since the day you sat on the Triumph Tiger.

The Kawasaki Versys 650 has its own fan following and rightly so. It has received some rave reviews and is a favourite among ADV tourers in the sub 650cc category. I have been saying this all along about perceived the weight and heft of these motorcycles being just a wrong perception. It is not until one starts the motor and starts rolling that these perceptions just disappear. Case in point your own ex Black Bruiser Triumph Bonneville which tips the scales at 225 kgs. Looking forward to your decision.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 11th January 2016 at 10:16.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 10:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you guys. In a closed environment, perhaps the size looks very big. But, this perception might change when you actually see the bike on road.

Here are some live pictures of V650 in Mumbai. Looks like being dispatched to some other cities for delivery. Quality looks really good and size doesn't look that big from these pictures...I am confused now.....This confusion will clear only when I see the bike on Thursday/Friday

P.S : On a side note, yesterday the first Triumph Tiger Off-road training happened in Hyderabad (it will be conducted in all cities) and I could not attend it due to personal reasons despite several follow-ups from them....Would have learnt a thing or two of how to ride these tall bikes on bad tarmac
Hey, thanks for the live pictures. Loved seeing them. Probably it could be the bike for me 😁. I tried searching all over the net that gives me a perspective of the size of 650 in comparison with the 1000. No luck yet. I am equally confused too. Waiting for this weekend to see the bike in person and take a call.

BTW, why am I seeing a saree guard on this ?

Most Viewed