Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 12:41   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The Autocar India review was quite sensible and they have summarized it well. The only jarring point, was right rightly picked up by AtheK.

Looks like more than half !
That small seat is going to be a cause of a lot of discomfort for the pillion with spray of water, mud and gravel from the rear wheel and the fear of falling off especially under hard acceleration.

This image is what comes to my mind

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-motoouch.jpg

Also for the rider the pillions leg is too close..
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 10:39   #257
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has installed a RE screen on his Trident.
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img20210808wa0026.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 12:45   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Here he is.
Excellent review once again by him and the feedback on the Trident is very much along the lines of what most of us also think about the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Shumi says you'll out grow it soon! I'm saying please do, so that we can buy it pre-owned sooner

BTW, Dogs are trending!
The dachshund was the perfect way to cap off that review. Dont tell me that you have the Trident on your radar in the next few years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Personally, I would any day rather buy a < 2 year old used Street Triple R (or even S for others) over a new Trident. It’s just a no brainer and a lot more bike for similar or even lower money.
Quote:
Secondly, for anyone who was otherwise in the market for a new Z 650 / N 650, unless the fairing is a must have the Trident is a no brainer alternative to pay extra for. It will definitely keep them engaged longer than a Z 650 would.
This is a very price sensitive segment and that Rs 50K delta for the Trident is a pretty big amount to swallow for a first time big bike buyer. The one thing that I noticed in the review from Rishad, Shumi and the Zig Wheels comparo between the Z650 and the Trident 660, is that the Tridents suspension is extremely stiff for our roads. So, comfort takes a back seat on the Triumph. Also, the Kawasaki's get a ton of accessories while the options for the Trident are still opening up.

If I was buying an affordable multi cyclinder motorcycle with my own money (and chose to overlook the 650 twins) that had to be new, I would get a Z650.

If I was buying pre-owned, I would get a Street Triple 675 (and add Ohlins rear suspension) or get a couple of years old 765.

Quote:
Ultimately, at every 50 - 100k price point there is a relevant buyer.
Amen!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:20   #259
BHPian

Quote:
The dachshund was the perfect way to cap off that review. Dont tell me that you have the Trident on your radar in the next few years!

If I was buying pre-owned, I would get a Street Triple 675 (and add Ohlins rear suspension) or get a couple of years old 765.
Not anytime soon but I would also like to discuss Engine Ice and the setback of buying 3 sets of brake-pads at a time
The 18" wheels of RE 650 are already giving the prep for SBK tyre buying experience!

Quote:
Personally, I would any day rather buy a < 2 year old used Street Triple R (or even S for others) over a new Trident. It’s just a no brainer and a lot more bike for similar or even lower money. The S / R are very novice friendly bikes too but equally can keep you engaged a LOT longer. Not to mention they are clearly a notch above on the quality or premiumness of build.
The Street Triple seems to be the more logical choice here

I rode the Trident 660 just for fun. The brakes are a lot better. Rest of the bike, I felt just at home. May be on the open highway and twisties where you really need to test this machine. In the city, speed breakers didn't make me feel the suspension was stiff. Due to my lack of experience I couldn't use the bi-directional QS to its full potential. The difference in the riding modes is evident in power delivery of the bike. The test bike had a custom bash plate but it didn't scrape any hump!

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 00:40   #260
BHPian

Quote:
If I was buying an affordable multi cyclinder motorcycle with my own money (and chose to overlook the 650 twins) that had to be new, I would get a Z650.
This probably applies to an all cash purchase which almost never is the case when it comes to buying superbikes? Typically someone going for a purchase financed by a loan, especially when it's a sizeable amount, wouldn't really mind a 50K difference if he likes the Trident over the Kawa 650 twins. It all boils down to the monthly emi and a 50k difference is not going to jack it up by a whole lot. Of course a cold hard look at numbers would reveal the actual outlay to be much higher over the loan tenure, but hey, that's not how most look at things, especially when the purchase is emotional and the price difference between option is not too huge.
Personally I find the Kawa 650 twins pretty boring, visually and riding dynamics wise. The low down torque is nice of course, but the engine note and the general 'feel' of the bike is nothing to write home about. The latest fully faired Ninja 650 looks pretty disproportionate and perhaps is trying too hard to look like a supersport.
The Trident on the other hand looks much classier besides has slightly better built quality and appears a bit more premium. Pillion comfort is the only area where the Kawa excels over the Triumph.
doga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:44   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doga View Post
This probably applies to an all cash purchase which almost never is the case when it comes to buying superbikes? Typically someone going for a purchase financed by a loan, especially when it's a sizeable amount, wouldn't really mind a 50K difference if he likes the Trident over the Kawa 650 twins. It all boils down to the monthly emi and a 50k difference is not going to jack it up by a whole lot. Of course a cold hard look at numbers would reveal the actual outlay to be much higher over the loan tenure, but hey, that's not how most look at things, especially when the purchase is emotional and the price difference between option is not too huge.
Personally I find the Kawa 650 twins pretty boring, visually and riding dynamics wise. The low down torque is nice of course, but the engine note and the general 'feel' of the bike is nothing to write home about. The latest fully faired Ninja 650 looks pretty disproportionate and perhaps is trying too hard to look like a supersport.
The Trident on the other hand looks much classier besides has slightly better built quality and appears a bit more premium. Pillion comfort is the only area where the Kawa excels over the Triumph.
The Trident's biggest drawback is the lack of visual impact. Its too small and a bigger rider will make the bike look downright tiny. Another major issue is the suspension. Its very stiff for Indian roads and since it comes by default at the softest setting you can't make the suspension any more plush without a very expensive suspension upgrade.

Like it or hate it the Ninja 650 has visual impact and is very much a head turner on Indian roads especially in a Kawasaki green color. In India a lot of big bike buying decisions are determined by these considerations as some people demand attention when they spend the big bucks.

Personally I like to fly under the radar but I am pretty much a minority.
bf1983 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:09   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The Trident's biggest drawback is the lack of visual impact. Another major issue is the suspension. Its very stiff for Indian roads and ...
You very rightly point to the desirability of a fully faired bike over a naked. It's very much true in the Indian context. I myself, despite my claims to being sufficiently 'informed' , have a clear preference for a faired bike.
What I was trying to say, in response to one of the posts above, is that if someone likes the Trident then 50K deficit won't sway him towards the Ninja, especially when it's a financed purchase which tends to be the case most of the times. Of course a higher percentage would probably prefer the Ninja over the Triumph because of all the reasons you mentioned, which makes total sense in the Indian context.
However do note the exhaust note of the Ninja can't hold a candle to what you'd get from that triple on the triumph, even if slightly subdued from let's say a street triple. Slap a pipe and you've got one of the things a first time big bike owner is looking for other than turning heads- a booming superbike exhaust note! Not sure how much that can make up for the lack of presence and cloths. I do know many guys go for the Benelli 600i knowing the shortcomings just for that amazing inline note. The Triumph shouldn't lack too much on the quality and the ASS aspect compared to the Kawa, certainly not as much as the Benelli does!
Old 11th September 2021, 13:18   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Booked the Trident a week back.
Recently got a call from Triumph with exciting news that timelines were moved up and the bike would be available within a couple of weeks.
Visited the showroom again and made the 'mistake' of taking the Street Triple RS for a test. It was mid-day during the week, got longer time on the empty roads. And that did it.
I canceled the booking of the Trident and moved it over to the Street Triple R
Even longer wait time. The first consignment would arrive in November and the next in January.
P72NX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 14:28   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Visited the showroom again and made the 'mistake' of taking the Street Triple RS for a test.
I canceled the booking of the Trident and moved it over to the Street Triple R.
Oh well done! You will NOT regret the switch. If the budget permits, whatever extra you have spent for the R is well worth it. It will also save you actual money which would otherwise have been a sooner upgrade spend.

Congratulations on a sweet ride. My pal has also booked one a few weeks ago with Gurugram dealership and has been told his date is November.

It’s a sellers market at the moment with the drip feed supply.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 19:17   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Oh well done! You will NOT regret the switch. If the budget permits, whatever extra you have spent for the R is well worth it. It will also save you actual money which would otherwise have been a sooner upgrade spend.

Congratulations on a sweet ride. My pal has also booked one a few weeks ago with Gurugram dealership and has been told his date is November.

It’s a sellers market at the moment with the drip feed supply.
Thank you. My sentiments exactly!

I was told all Triumph dealerships across India would be getting fresh stock in November. So there is a good chance many present bookings will have to wait until January (or even later!) to get their bikes delivered.
The Triple R's are the 2022 models, with minor changes to the 2021s, including new paint job/decals. I preferred the 2021 paints personally.
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 12:15   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Visited the showroom again and made the 'mistake' of taking the Street Triple RS for a test…….. And that did it.
I canceled the booking of the Trident and moved it over to the Street Triple R

Congratulations! I haven’t test ridden the Trident but Street Triple is an absolute hooligan. It shall keep you in toes for longer period. As a fellow ‘R’ owner, welcome to the club
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 22:06   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations! I haven’t test ridden the Trident but Street Triple is an absolute hooligan. It shall keep you in toes for longer period. As a fellow ‘R’ owner, welcome to the club
Thanks! Loved your review thread
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 20:52   #268
BHPian

Re: My 1st big bike | Triumph Trident 660

Test rode the Trident today! What an absolutely amazing motorcycle! Shoutout to the great guys at Triumph Kochi. They're definitely some of the best car/bike Showroom staff I've come across. Great experience both to customers and enthusiasts not having an intention to purchase. Some points I noted over my hour long ride along with some pictures below.

1)Absolutely AMAZING exhaust note! The sound is absolutely addictive throughout the rev range. Much bassier than what youtube videos will have you believe.

2)Extremely tractable engine: The triple is definitely a gem of an engine. Happy to be pottering around at 40KPH on 6th gear or on the wrong side of the ton. Heat is pretty well managed as well. The gearshifts are smooth with a very light clutch. Engine braking is great and you get used to the bike in no time.

3)Very friendly: The bike will not scare you. slow cruise or faster runs. You decide. Bike is happy to play along. Love that.

4)The Nissin brakes are very good with great bite and a very progressive lever feel.

5)I found the suspension to be comfortable enough for the roads that i was riding on which weren't really perfect. Not too stiff, Not a magic carpet ride either.

6)I personally love how the bike looks and all the glancing people on the road seem to agree as well.

7)The seat is comfortable with enough space for the rider to move around. Pillion perch is small but can be used for short city runs. The bike was ridden from Kochi to Trivandrum for the test rides. The SA was of the opinion that the bike was very comfortable on the journey and he didn't experience much fatigue. The road between Kochi to Trivandrum is one of the worst 200ish KM Stretch Kerala's National Highways have to offer.

8) Two riding modes of Rain and Road. Difference in throttle response is perceptible.

Overall I am very impressed with the bike and agree with the countless reviews online that this is the perfect big bike. Adding some pictures below. Apologise for the poor quality.

Some bad news:

1) The pillion grab handles will not be standard from following batches. They'll be a Rs8000 option. Cheap.

2) On road price in Kerala is 9.25L. Sadly starting october, Government is going to charge a 2% COVID cess. Expected price rise for the Trident is Rs60000. 9.85L For a 660 does seem a bit much, says the head.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_115220.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_12102401.jpeg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_123007.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_123922.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_132407.jpg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img_20210924_132421.jpg  

Maverick_4662 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 08:20   #269
Team-BHP Support

For those of you looking at luggage solutions for basic two up or even solo touring, the above link is a helpful video of Hepco Becker sidebags with the C Bow mounting system. Hepco Becker + C Bow is an expensive option but they are really well engineered (German I think) products and I have personally used this system on my street triple 765 - can vouch for their quality. A friend in fact has taken these bags and system and is happily using it on his RS for occasional touring. The C Bow mounts are bike and model specific but the bags go on all the C Bow mounts.

Attaching some pics of my own Striple 765 with the HB bags and some screen shots from the video above for how it looks on the Trident. Whether you like the look of the bags with a street naked or not is a personal choice and a toss up for the associated practicality of course.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-02e6d1a240544e7aacdedc8adc57d6ef.jpeg  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-24ef18a3d92b4d54a088a947ea91995f.png  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-5f5ba9d89a54453abef7ad4321dd57f6.png  

2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-2dddbcd6e9c14f898cd11579de97ab4a.png  

Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 11:40   #270
Senior - BHPian

I have H&B soft bag like this on my Honda CB350 (Sits on the seat). The quality is really great and justifies the price
Quote:
For those of you looking at luggage solutions for basic two up or even solo touring, the above link is a helpful video of Hepco Becker sidebags with the C Bow mounting system. Hepco Becker + C Bow is an expensive option but they are really well engineered (German I think) products and I have personally used this system on my street triple 765 - can vouch for their quality
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks