Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 22:45   #226
BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravm_89 View Post
So I FINALLY took delivery of the Trident about 10 days back. And this is especially visible as I have the Street triple R side by side to compare.
Congratulations! She's a beauty, and in my favorite color as well!

I am curious as to why you chose this bike, being an existing Street Triple owner?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Trident basically smaller, lower cc/power Street Triple?

I mean they are very similar motorcycles in many ways and there are countless other bikes offering very different experiences.

No offense meant at all, just wondering what your rationale was.
imranstael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 23:08   #227
BHPian

Congratulations Saurav! Beautiful choice of bike and colour. Wishing you thousands of miles and best wishes. It looks like Trident is selling like hot cakes. There are lots of new member joining Triumph’s wats app group with Trident as their ride.

Ps- I suppose you should take out the saree guard from both the Triumph’s. 😀
Old 24th June 2021, 22:14   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Congratulations! She's a beauty, and in my favorite color as well!
I am curious as to why you chose this bike, being an existing Street Triple owner?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Trident basically smaller, lower cc/power Street Triple?
Thanks! Well it belongs to my brother so it is'nt my primary ride; I was also looking for something with slightly relaxed ergonomics and ease of riding in the city, and the Trident fit the bill- and you are spot on when you say the Trident is a smaller version- carries over a lot of elements, but is tuned very well for city/traffic rides .
So,basically, I will turn to the Striple for the occassional spirited highway rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations Saurav! Beautiful choice of bike and colour.

Ps- I suppose you should take out the saree guard from both the Triumph’s. 😀
Thanks! Yes its really seen good demand , there's a pan-India WP group as well, and a fair number of owners- new and experienced riders alike! Saree Guard-Yeah, been meaning to do that, just thought I'd let it be for a few days before i tinker around, overall.
sauravm_89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 00:14   #229
BHPian

Hello everyone!!

I have returned to the Team-Bhp forum after very long time. Have been reading through the discussions on this thread for the Trident 660 and the bike definitely seems to be very promising.

I have one question to all the enthusiasts and expert bikers here.

I am new to biking. To cut the long story short, my mom was always paranoid about me riding a bike and therefore I have never owned a bike and the last time last I drove one was way back in college in 2004.

I have always driven cars and own a sedan and suv for myself.

However, lately I have had this urge to own a big bike and I have been looking into the market for a good beginner bike. The primary use of this bike will be fun weekend rides and the occasional drive to office whenever we finally go back.

Do you think the 660 will be too big and powerful for a novice like me or can it be managed since i might not be a biker and am an experienced driver.

This might a tricky question but would love to know the opinions of my fellow experienced members here.

Am not too keen on a sub 3 lac bike as I know I'll get bored too soon and might not feel like riding one either. I am 6ft tall and one my my requirement is to own an impressive bike.

Hoping to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 17th July 2021, 03:10   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

My personal suggestion would be that you get a pre owned Ninja 300 first, get back to riding and then get a trident. The last time you rode was 17 years back, lot has changed, from bikes to roads to people riding on the roads. Ninja 300 will be a good starting point, it's got a very nice linear power delivery, easier to maintain, and you can use it in city and highway both.

Once you have had your fill of fun and experience of riding, you can sell it for marginal loss and pick a bigger bike. Nothing stops you from picking a big bike right now, but these bikes can be deceptively fast and should never be a beginner bike.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 15:44   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Have been reading through the discussions on this thread for the Trident 660 and the bike definitely seems to be very promising
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
My personal suggestion would be that you get a pre owned Ninja 300 first, get back to riding and then get a trident.
Ankan_g, since you qualify under a mature rider category (keeping the right wrist under control, not getting carried away), with properly developed road sense, I feel you should be quite all right picking up the Trident straight away. Having said that, please first check out the bike in person, sit on it, take a few test rides, always keeping the mature rider bit in mind. Keep a week between each test ride, think, evaluate how you feel, then make a decision.

Do not go down the pre-owned route (for any bike) unless you have someone trustworthy to help/guide you in the buying process. Keep in mind to plan a budget for a good helmet and proper riding gear as well. For guidance on that, check out our dedicated helmet and riding gear threads.

AtheK, the Ninja 300 is a completely different bike from what Ankan_g has expressed a preference for, the Trident being a naked. Secondly, the added safety net of traction control with riding modes which blunt the power delivery and ABS will make the Trident safer to ride (than the Ninja with only ABS) as well. Stick the Trident in Rain mode and the power delivery should be subdued enough till he gains confidence.

In summation - Ankan_g, if the Trident floats your boat, go ahead with it. If your head is properly screwed on your shoulders, the Trident should be absolutely fine as your first big bike. If not, then the Ninja 300 is powerful enough to get you (or anyone) in trouble too.

Keep us in the loop on your thought/buying process and all the best with whatever you choose.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th July 2021 at 15:50.
Old 17th July 2021, 15:50   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Well i have not ridden the trident but have ridden street triple, and that bike picks up speed really fast. Then again if the decision is based on the point that, if your head is properly screwed to your shoulders, you can buy a litre class bike as your first bike too
Old 17th July 2021, 16:01   #233
Senior - BHPian

Ankan_g has asked about the Trident, a naked and you are talking about a fully faired (Ninja 300) bike, which is really incomparable. Then you are talking about a jump from the Trident to the litre class world which is not even in contention, amazing.

The head properly screwed on reference is simply because with maturity (in age) and road sense (since he is driving since many years) what he is thinking about is very possible.

Ride safe.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th July 2021 at 16:05.
Old 17th July 2021, 17:08   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am new to biking. To cut the long story short, my mom was always paranoid about me riding a bike and therefore I have never owned a bike and the last time last I drove one was way back in college in 2004.

I have always driven cars and own a sedan and suv for myself.

However, lately I have had this urge to own a big bike and I have been looking into the market for a good beginner bike. The primary use of this bike will be fun weekend rides and the occasional drive to office whenever we finally go back.

Do you think the 660 will be too big and powerful for a novice like me or can it be managed since i might not be a biker and am an experienced driver.
The Trident 660 can put you in a lot of trouble very quickly.

If you are returning to riding after 17 years, then start small and work your way up. Forget the Trident, I wont even suggest the 47 HP motorcycles like the Duke / Adv 390, Interceptor / GT 650 and so on. Your best course of action is to get back to motorcycling slowly and steadily. For now, get an Apache 310 or a BMW R310 or a GS310. Or maybe even something like the Duke 250. AtheK's suggestion of the Ninja 300 is also a sensible one.

Invest in some quality riding gear. Do at least 6 - 9 months of riding for your use case. See if you will enjoy it or you find it to be too risky. Once you are comfortable with riding around town and on the highways, think about an upgrade, if necessary. There too, I would not suggest jumping to the Trident directly. I would say a short stint with a 47 HP motorcycle will serve you well.

Please dont fall for the marketing spiel. The Trident is not an entry level or beginner bike. By jumping into the deep end of the pool, you might find that you have bitten off more than you can chew. And then you will be hesitant to ride the Trident and you will probably end up buying a smaller bike like the Honda CB350 for commuting duties.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 23:02   #235
BHPian

@ankan_g - I will suggest you to take test rides on bike from both segments. Sub300 and above 300cc as well.

As you rightly said, you will be bored from sub300cc class pretty soon.

Considering your height of 6ft, i will advice you to go for Street triple R if budget not an issue. Weight of trident and street triple is pretty much same.

However, as rightly said by Athek, all these bikes like trident, street triple, z900 build speed quite fast and things can go out of hand pretty quick.

I, too, was in similar boat last year. I wasn’t much into bike riding since 2013. I picked up a Street Triple R last year and I am quite happy.

Please consider a z650 if you prefer naked or Ninja if faired. They are much easier to ride with all safety features.

Take a thorough test ride and decide accordingly.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:11   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!!

I have one question to all the enthusiasts and expert bikers here.

I am new to biking.
...and the last time last I drove one was way back in college in 2004.

Hoping to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks in advance!!
Dear,
My suggestion would be to rent a Duke 390 or Adventure 390 for a week and a half. You being situated in Delhi, will have no shortage of options/dealers to choose from (look in Karol Bagh).

If you get bored/tired of the bike, you can go ahead and book the Trident with confidence. Plus you'll not be a fresher when test riding it. (a week with a Duke 390)

But, if the Duke/Adventure 390 keeps you happy throughout the week and maybe even manages to scare you a bit every now and then, then maybe hold out to purchasing a 85 bhp bike. Get yourself something smaller and ride it out for 2-3 years and then upgrade.

And welcome back to the biking brotherhood in advance.
Cheers
ghost-was-here is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 22:49   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
My personal suggestion would be that you get a pre owned Ninja 300 first, get back to riding and then get a trident. The last time you rode was 17 years back, lot has changed, from bikes to roads to people riding on the roads. Ninja 300 will be a good starting point, it's got a very nice linear power delivery, easier to maintain, and you can use it in city and highway both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
AtheK, the Ninja 300 is a completely different bike from what Ankan_g has expressed a preference for, the Trident being a naked. Secondly, the added safety net of traction control with riding modes which blunt the power delivery and ABS will make the Trident safer to ride (than the Ninja with only ABS) as well. Stick the Trident in Rain mode and the power delivery should be subdued enough till he gains confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
If you are returning to riding after 17 years, then start small and work your way up. Forget the Trident, I wont even suggest the 47 HP motorcycles like the Duke / Adv 390, Interceptor / GT 650 and so on. Your best course of action is to get back to motorcycling slowly and steadily. For now, get an Apache 310 or a BMW R310 or a GS310. Or maybe even something like the Duke 250. AtheK's suggestion of the Ninja 300 is also a sensible one.
[quote=abhi_tjet;5104065]I, too, was in similar boat last year. I wasn’t much into bike riding since 2013. I picked up a Street Triple R last year and I am quite happy.

Please consider a z650 if you prefer naked or Ninja if faired. They are much easier to ride with all safety features./QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
Dear,
My suggestion would be to rent a Duke 390 or Adventure 390 for a week and a half. You being situated in Delhi, will have no shortage of options/dealers to choose from (look in Karol Bagh).
Guys, firstly thank you to each one of you for taking the time out to respond to my message.

I agree with each of you on certain points. I have given this a thought and have decided to give myself a couple of weeks to just ride a bike over the weekends and get back into the hang of riding a bike again. For this I'll be using my driver's bike, Hero Passion Pro, which I had purchased for him last month for his safety as he was using public transport to commute. I know it's a very very basic bike but just a couple of weekends on the road within the city should do fine.

Post that I will try to borrow my friend's Interceptor for some time to get myself a little more comfortable with a moderately powerful bike. I will then take it from there to decide if I'll actually want the 660 or may be something more powerful.

Personally I love the looks of the 660. There is something very sophisticated about the design with a beautiful combination of retro and sporty looks. I believe your choice of machine is an extension of your own personality. So let's see how things pan out within the next month.

Will definitely keep you guys posted on what I finally decide.

Cheers!!!

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2021 at 07:14. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
ankan_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:54   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!!

Thanks in advance!!
Hey ankan, saw your post and follow up comment- I think your strategy is good and will help you decide. However, as a current owner of the Trident, I feel that while it packs a punch, it isnt one of those bikes that'll go away from you from the get go, and touch 80kmph in the 1st gear. While working up the ladder is the logical choice, for a lot of us, it might be that one lifetime buy or atleast one purchase for 5-6 years atleast. You might want to test ride the Trident, I have a feeling you might find it to be just right. Also, if it does feel a bit much, you could always drive it in the rain mode for the initial few days. Much like you could use the low power mode of Z900. The electronics that modern bikes use does up the usability factor for new rides quite a bit.
And yes, of the many factors that tilted the decision towards Trident for me, looks was definitely a big factor! Just preferred the sophistication over all other options
Cheers!
sauravm_89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 23:12   #239
BHPian

Absolutely outrageous pricing. Milking a competent product to the max. 26K for documentation?

Seems to be Triumph's MO. Charge exorbitantly and keep the brand exclusive.

I was hoping to upgrade from my D390 to Trident but looks like the dream will remain that, a dream. Middle class needs such rude awakening to be reminded that they don't make a difference and should dream accordingly
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-img20210724wa0018.jpg  

DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 06:32   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Absolutely outrageous pricing. Milking a competent product to the max. 26K for documentation?

Seems to be Triumph's MO. Charge exorbitantly and keep the brand exclusive.

I was hoping to upgrade from my D390 to Trident but looks like the dream will remain that, a dream. Middle class needs such rude awakening to be reminded that they don't make a difference and should dream accordingly
You are planning to drop the upgrade coz of the 22k handling charge? That's a bit too extreme. If you liked the Trident, go get it. If you didn't, it's a great excuse to find another one you like.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks