Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 22:58   #91
BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs

Wonderful pricing by Triumph India. It should definitely welcome a new set of customers. Customers who keep a less than 10L OTR price budget for super bikes. 650 cc is generally entry point and a hotly contested segment as far as super bikes are considered.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 23:05   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
I promise you, no matter what they would have priced it at, there will be people on this forum complaining that it wasn't 50k less. That's literally the theme of every announce post/thread ever made here.
Sorry to intrude into the discussion but why is the above a bad thing? Arent the majority of us on this group here part of the target audience for these brands? And if majority is voicing a clear dissonance with the price then isnt it a message to the brand?

Quote:
What motorcycle are you speaking of? Last time I checked Honda is the one selling a detuned Africa Twin here. And are now selling their products are irrational prices.
The Street Triple 675 fiasco ( I am assuming you genuinely dint know which motorcycle he was referring to). And I would never use Honda big bike pricing in India for any sensible benchmarks. They are living in some bubble where the profits from selling commuters can afford them to have atrocious margins on big bikes even at the cost of single digit volumes (i am assuming)

Quote:
What most posters might not have considered is that perhaps Triumph isn't trying to beat everyone else at a numbers game, at any cost. There is a positioning that every brand seeks to achieve and that plays a large part in what makes them desirable.
End of the day, numbers matter (ask HD). Specially for brands like Kawa and Triumph which arent into budget/volume commuter segments.
narula123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 23:14   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Last time I checked Honda is the one selling a detuned Africa Twin here. And are now selling their products at irrational prices.
The price hasn't deterred Honda from detuning the CB650R for India.

The Euro 5 bike for the UK makes 95hp and 63Nm and we get 85hp, 57Nm.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 23:55   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ok, Thai it is!
Dr CD, I have read so many of your posts and we have exchanged so many replies over the years, that I knew that you would pull up the price with the exchange rate conversion in your reply to me

Quote:
Most, if not all of those posts were made last year soon after the global unveil. Here is what happened to currency rates afterwards -
Quote:
So Triumph's positioning at 6.95 now is closer to 6.5'ish lakh predictions made last October!
I dont deny that the pricing of the Trident is lower in India than Thailand due to the free trade agreement. I was only pointing out that the foreign exchange has had zero influence on the pricing in India today as compared to late October last year. So our expectations of Rs 6.49L have not been influenced by a change in the foreign exchange rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
As for service issues, I still believe these are accentuated in a couple of locations and are not a pan India phenomenan (Team-BHP has sadly over-amplified this aspect unjustifiably as pan India for whatever reasons).
Agree, it is not a pan India issue.

Quote:
One fairly specific suggestion for @whencut86 / anyone else looking to see the Trident for touring. It’s worth trying to see how well the Kriega US-30 can fit on the back seat with the rider seated in comfort.
Excellent suggestion! Kriega's bags are very popular among international riders on the Adv Rider forum. Via Terra is the popular Indian brand for luggage options, that is also an alternative.

Quote:
IWhat motorcycle are you speaking of? Last time I checked Honda is the one selling a detuned Africa Twin here. And are now selling their products are irrational prices.
Here you go (Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!). I think it is safe to say that this has been the most controversial incident in the big bike market in India.

Quote:
What most posters might not have considered is that perhaps Triumph isn't trying to beat everyone else at a numbers game, at any cost. There is a positioning that every brand seeks to achieve and that plays a large part in what makes them desirable.
Everyone knows that Triumph is struggling sales wise. They can keep all the positioning they want but if customers arent buying more bikes, it will be pointless.

Harley Davidson is lost in translation. Honda isnt trying to compete on price. But the bigger threat is from the other two big players - Royal Enfield and KTM. Royal Enfield is moving up the ladder with bigger capacity motorcycles. KTMs 490 twin looks to be the next big thing to shake up the middleweight market.

As the old saying goes, strike while the iron is hot.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 00:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Criticism is the new cool, I guess.

I find no problem with the pricing of the Trident 660.
It does justify the premium over the Kawasaki Z650.
Plus, the Trident has the most extensive (useful) accessories pack on offer from day 0 that allows you to kit it up based on your riding requirement.

If today, I would have been done experiencing & exploiting my KTM 390 ADV, I would have surely got this. I could have even considered the overpriced Honda CB650R because it is just so gorgeous.

All said and done, at the asking price, Triumph will attract middle-weight buyers for the Trident 660. And let's not forget, Honda will easily sell the CB650R, because so many of their customer base just wants a HONDA.

No matter how many people hate the pricing and want both the bikes to be cheaper.

Last edited by parrys : 7th April 2021 at 00:09.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree with all the points above Neil. My gut feel too is the Honda will be a better size for touring. One fairly specific suggestion for @whencut86 / anyone else looking to see the Trident for touring. It’s worth trying to see how well the Kriega US-30 can fit on the back seat with the rider seated in comfort. If that bag fits well, then you could actually side mount two more US 20s (one on each side) to the US 30 mounted on the rear seat. It’s amazing the way those US series bags can fit onto each other and take luggage. 50 - 70 liters of luggage is more than enough for any kind of touring on a regular naked bike IMO. If it works, that’s your entire luggage solution in anything between 12 - 30k depending on how many Kriegas you need for your touring requirements.
Yeah. Was looking at options from Kriega as well. The only thing needs to be seen is if there are mounting points and options to screw in the panniers or luggage support in the Trident 660. Doesn't seem to be much options in the bike as per all reviews and the tail section close-ups. Its been more than 6 months since the bike was launched in UK and by now major 3rd party accessory brands should have come up with these fittings to increase luggage capacity and touring windscreen. But don't see any in either of these sites so far. So this has me wondering if there are no proper points to screw in these additional fittings in the tail section or no other points to mount luggage on the bike. Can only confirm post seeing the bike in person though.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:52   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Yeah. Was looking at options from Kriega as well. The only thing needs to be seen is if there are mounting points and options to screw in the panniers or luggage support in the Trident 660..
Sorry you might know this already but just to clarify, unlike the OS series, the Kriega US-30 doesn’t need external mounting points but mount via the frame underneath the seat. And I have seen these done on all kinds of naked bikes with aggressively small rear seats. Do check out the link below and any standalone reviews of the US 30. (Or even US 20).

If the US 30 fits on the Trident and allows the rider enough room to sit comfortably when its mounted, you are sorted. Because additional US 10 / 20s can get side mounted on the US 30 bag itself. I have used the US 30 alongside a US 10 and its been fantastic.

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-30-drypack19
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Point. I'd like to add that buyers who prefer the Japanese bikes for their reliability may not cross-shop. They might hold their purchases, but wont settle for another make. Honda has its own base, while Triumph has theirs. Regarding luggage, I'd go for this SW-Motech (Screen grab). It's sleek, and holds that line
Quote:
Attached Images

Last edited by Sebring : 7th April 2021 at 09:59. Reason: Added a pic
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
What motorcycle are you speaking of?
As other forum members have clarified, this was the Street Triple 675 motorcycle with which Triumph was not entirely ethical in presenting actual performance specification for India-spec units.

However, I believe this is in the past. Every company deserves a second chance and Triumph has been granted one by the Indian market, due which they are flourishing. I consider the Street Triple 765 RS to be one of the best roadsters available in the segment. The incoming Speed Triple 1200 RS should be brilliant too.

I would humbly suggest forum members to go gently on this topic as it's in the past - most important fact is, Triumph now sells UK-spec motorcycles in India.

We should criticize justly and also be open-minded to give credit where it is due.

Quote:
Last time I checked Honda is the one selling a detuned Africa Twin here.
I do think you have got the context mixed up a bit here.

Honda has always detuned their super-bikes sold in India to comply with poorer quality of fuel available in our country. This makes their bikes compatible with India-spec 91 RON fuel blended with 10% Ethanol. The bikes don't have stalling issues as a result, and in doing so, gives owners the freedom of being able to fill fuel at any bunk across the country without worrying about adverse consequences.

This reduced performance specification is mentioned clearly by Honda India in their press releases/motorcycle brochures/specifications and the owner's manual.

On the other hand, as history has aptly registered, Triumph indulged in corporate fraud by NOT divulging reduced performance specifications of their motorcycles in documentation made available to CUSTOMERS.

As well-informed enthusiasts on a technically inclined forum, I would encourage facts to take precedence when making comments about any manufacturer.

Otherwise not only do posts not add value to the conversation, they may create misleading impressions in the mind of the audience.

Hope this resonates with you too.

Last edited by GoBlue : 7th April 2021 at 10:24.
GoBlue is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:59   #100
BHPian

While most of us would have liked a further bump down in pricing on the Trident, the reality is what it is - 6.9L

Will someone look beyond the bike for 50k? I doubt it. I think its well done Triumph keeping the price visually sub-7 lacs. What this does is, it puts pressure on the Kawasaki sales folks to hard-sell the 650 twins (price vs features equation) and also try to up-sell the Trident customers to the z900.

The Trident at this point happily straddles the gap between the Kawa 650s and Z900 (more so after latest Kawasaki price bumps).

Honda? Honda will try to justify you pay this money for a brilliant-but-overpriced 500 or sell a kidney to get a similarly specced but "Oh Honda!" CB650.

Will the Trident sell? I am sure it will and well at that. Could it have been cheaper? Everyone would have loved for it to be but I am sure the Triumph marketing chaps would have done some maths to arrive at this. If the customers reject the Trident at this price, there is nothing stopping Triumph to dole out discounts and correct the equation.

Only time will tell. Good Luck Triumph! Get your after-sales sorted while at it because this bike can put further load on your current infra if it clicks.
narula123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:16   #101
BHPian

Brilliant pricing by triumph.

Most definitely my next one, which I am planning in 2022. I would wait for the scope of increasing pillion comfort by any mods/facelift. Wouldn't mind paying a premium for it.
Old 7th April 2021, 10:50   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Good pricing.

I think a Tiger 660 is incoming pretty quickly. Hope they learnt from the 900 debacle and get this cracker out soon!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:57   #103
BHPian

Anyone has details as to when the deliveries start?
Or are they available off the shelf?

I also read (maybe within this thread) that they have over six hundred pre-bookings. Do you all see that as actual pre-bookings or another "octavia vrs sold out" kind of marketing gimmick?
Old 7th April 2021, 11:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry you might know this already but just to clarify, unlike the OS series, the Kriega US-30 doesn’t need external mounting points but mount via the frame underneath the seat. And I have seen these done on all kinds of naked bikes with aggressively small rear seats. Do check out the link below and any standalone reviews of the US 30. (Or even US 20).

If the US 30 fits on the Trident and allows the rider enough room to sit comfortably when its mounted, you are sorted. Because additional US 10 / 20s can get side mounted on the US 30 bag itself. I have used the US 30 alongside a US 10 and its been fantastic.

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-30-drypack19
I am aware that Kriega 30 won't be needing mounting points and can mount with the straps going under the seat. But the tail section of the Trident 660 is unlike other bikes. It is even shorter and one of the reviews mentioned that it is risky for a pillion even with the grab handle accessory added to the bike. That is why I feel we may need side panniers or mounting points or screw in points for the support for side panniers if required.

If you look at the below review from 8:55, you can see that there is very little space in the rear seat for a Kriega 30. A 6 footer would need some space to move around and that leaves bare minimum space in the tail section.

The Trident's tail section ends with the seat. There is no 2-3 inches of tail section after the seat like in other bikes. This 2-3 inches of space gives space for a Kriega30 to be mounted comfortably as you can see in the images below on other bikes with Kriega 30. Also attached are the Trident's tail and under tail sections to show the tail ends with the seat and also no screw in points in the under tail section. The section under the tail is clean white in the image and I suspect the grab handles may have just one screw in point under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Triumph Trident 660 unveiled. Edit: Now launched at 6.95 lakhs-trident-side.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by whencut86 : 7th April 2021 at 11:14. Reason: added text/correction
whencut86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 11:12   #105
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai on road pricing is a cracking 8.42 lakh on road. (I believe Z 650 in Mumbai is 8.2 lakh on road - as nice a product the Z 650 is, I cannot imagine how anyone would pick it over the Trident at barely 20k more.)

Apparently 125+ Pan India bookings already in place.

Good luck to Triumph on this new (for them) segment.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th April 2021 at 11:40.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks