Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 00:35   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
...the company driver for the Aria mentioned above. Now this guy never even knew what the 4x2 switch was there for and was driving around permanently in 4x4 mode ever since the vehicle was bought sometimes last year.
No harm done in the type of 4wd system that the Aria has, except perhaps a little extra fuel consumption. Would have destroyed the transmission of a Scorpio or Safari, but the result would have been visible pretty quickly!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 00:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

@SS-Traveller
The F.E. and the racket that the rear differential made when the engine was revved to make up speeds after downshifting. With the 4x2 engaged that noise (actually more of a deep set hum and associated vibration) went away. Very comfortable vehicle from then on to drive and be driven in, the NVH characteristics improved considerably and the FWD in 4x2 mode made it behave very differently compared to a rear wheel driven SUV. Was good for me though, what with majority of my driving being restricted to front wheel drive vehicles.

Never knew the bit about the transmissions being destroyed with permanent usage of 4x4 in the mentioned vehicles. In the Aria we switched from 4x4 to 4x2 and vice versa on the fly, no stopping what so ever.

Last edited by khoj : 9th March 2012 at 01:00.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 02:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
5. What I need is one vehicle, which will be my primary/only vehicle for highway trips (around 30k kms/year) and going everywhere that I need to with 5 people and luggage in comfort at the same levels of FE and upkeep as the Scorpio.
~~~~~~~~~
7. Lastly, this vehicle will be used by me at least for the next 10 years.
Interesting thread and good discussions, @Devdath

So we are talking about 3Lacs odd kms!

Now your Scorpio, Hariya has only done about 70k, IIRC.
Why give it up so soon and put all the load (of kms of travel) on the next ride? Especially when there don't seem to be good enough solutions.

Is a Scorpio good enough of handle 3L of usage? If no, it doesn't remain a good choice. If yes, why give up Hariya so soon - just for the odd time you need a 4x4?

I suggest you wait a while.

And while you are waiting, you could use that time to keep checking what the pre-owned market offers. In case a clean deal comes up at a good price, you could lap it.
Old 9th March 2012, 02:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:

My main concern and apprehension about buying PB, CD and DL vehicles is the possibility of them being used very roughly but their owners...... etc etc and washing machines being used to make lassis, at weddings.
Thats pretty innovative I must say, making lassi in washing machines!

On a serious note, would any one be as to kind to educate me what changed between the 2007 Pajero model and the2008 ones that were selling in India?
I have, today seen a very well kept Pajero. The RC says its been registered in 2008, but manufactured in 2007. Following are some distinguishing features on this Pajero that kind of sets it apart frm 2008 SFX variant.
1 Absence of " Intercooler Turbo 2800" sticker on the side. Presence of sticker "4x4 Super Select" in its place.
2 Absence of bumper fog lights.
3 Absence of Reversing camera/sensors.
4. Presence of additional ORVM on the left front side ending bonnet trim.

Any special inputs on this model? Is the engine in any way different to that of the present SFX variant, e.g. not 2.8 liters?

I apologise for being slightly OT, and thank you all experenced Tbhpians for your attention! Picture of the vehicle under-consideration , and which I test rode today is appended for your viewing pleasure
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331238808

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1331239378
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?-paj1.jpg  

Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?-paj2.jpg  

Old 9th March 2012, 11:09   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Dev, the diplomatic community has not fallen on such hard times in Delhi that they need to take out their Pajeros and plough fields, recover tractors etc.
Ok, my bad, by CD I meant Chandigarh registered vehicles, not the Corps Diplomatique vehicles.
Quote:
You could find in the Tata Aria what is lacking in the Fortuner. I spent the last three days travelling in an Aria and each and every feature listed by you below as missing in the Fortuner is there and then some, including on the fly selectable 4x2, 6 airbags and auto aircon with individual vents for the second and third rows complete with fan control etc. I drove it extensively in both 4x4 and 4x2 modes and while it does not feel like a truck(like the Sumo of yore), it has miles to go before it can start to think of being in the same league as a refined 4x4 like say, my company provided Grand Vitara.
The Aria might be a very good vehicle but I do not like its looks and I would highly prefer having a full and propah SUV with a low range transfer case and a manual lever, if possible.
Quote:
Coming to the Pajero's spares and the costs thereof. I myself have a Cedia and I have never had an episode in the 2 years of ownership of a spare part not being available(including some very slow moving ones, such as plastic floor trims and A pillar trims etc). Further Cedia's parts are also easily available in the aftermarket channel. Now it is no secret that the Pajero sales outstrip that of the Cedia by a humongous margin, hence one can rest assured that sourcing Pajero spares will not be a problem through either channel. Further Mitsubishi unlike its other Japanese cousins has a strong tradition of selling child parts (thanks in part to its rich rally heritage). This too leads to economical part replacement.
Can you let me know the costs that you incurred on buying those spares so that there can be a fair comparison of the comparative costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Is a Scorpio good enough of handle 3L of usage? If no, it doesn't remain a good choice. If yes, why give up Hariya so soon - just for the odd time you need a 4x4?

I suggest you wait a while.

And while you are waiting, you could use that time to keep checking what the pre-owned market offers. In case a clean deal comes up at a good price, you could lap it.
The Scorpio is certainly good enough for 2 lac kms if not 3 and is still going very strong at the moment.
Waiting for some more time is where this thread seems to be heading Poitive.
There are no choices that are agreed by all/most, look at the poll results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post
On a serious note, would any one be as to kind to educate me what changed between the 2007 Pajero model and the2008 ones that were selling in India?
Nothing except the exterior styling changes.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:20   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Having driven both the Scorpio(mHawk) and Pajero extensively,both on road and offroad, I would definitely suggest a low mileage Pajero.

PROS:
It is very comfortable and good cruising ability and has very good handling. Brakes are superior.

CONS:
Engine lacks outright power though is very good for sedate driving.
Spares will be expensive but they last real long.
FE ranges from 7.5-10.

I would like to share one experience with you which might help you.

My uncle owns a Pajero for the last 1.5yrs. One morning,we left on a long trip. Left at 9 A.M. and covered some 700 odd kms which included 600kms of highway,50kms of rural roads and 50kms of no-road conditions. We were back by 8 P.M. and believe me,I was fresh and ready to repeat the same trip again.

PS:I drove 50 odd kms while going and 300kms non-stop on the way back.

The very next day I left with my brother on the very same road in his 1yr old Scorpio VLX. He was running high temperature and was not in a condition to drive, so I drove the whole distance(350 kms of pure highway). The drive was with 2 breaks of a few minutes and we managed to complete it in 5.5hrs. The road was not so good and Scorpio's notorious handling made me nervous and I never crossed 100kmph(which was a breeze in Pajero).

At the end of the journey I was suffering from back pain and tiredness.

PS: On both occassions,we drove with 100% AC and on the same highway stretch.

Verdict: I found the Scorpio's engine to be having more punch and was exciting to drive but the handling never allowed me to enjoy the drive. Also the brakes of Pajero were lot more inspiring.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:32   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Having driven both the Scorpio(mHawk) and Pajero extensively,both on road and offroad, I would definitely suggest a low mileage Pajero.

PROS:
It is very comfortable and good cruising ability and has very good handling. Brakes are superior.

CONS:
Engine lacks outright power though is very good for sedate driving.
Spares will be expensive but they last real long.
FE ranges from 7.5-10.
Thank you for your inputs Ashish, while I have no qualms about the comfort of the Scorpio since I own one and have driven it for 70k kms now, it is the ability of the Pajero to cruise comfortably at say, 120-130kmph, the cost of its spares, and most of all its FE that has me in this dilemma.

Now, since you say that its FE is only 7.5-10 kmpl, I m even more confused, because there are a few Pajero owners on this forum who report FE figures of 10+ consistently.
Dammit, this is getting tougher by the day.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:02   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ability of the Pajero to cruise comfortably at say, 120-130kmph, the cost of its spares, and most of all its FE that has me in this dilemma.

Now, since you say that its FE is only 7.5-10 kmpl, I m even more confused, because there are a few Pajero owners on this forum who report FE figures of 10+ consistently.
I have gone on several long drives in the Pajero and it returned 8-9 on all occassions. It was mostly driven at 90-120kmph with AC on at all times(even when idle for short 15-20min breaks). It also went off-road with partial use of 4H and 4L gears. Its a new vehicle with about 35k on the odo and is maintained religiously.

The engine can manage 120-130kmph but it feels more relaxed in 110-120kmph bracket.

Hope it helps in some way.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:17   #69
BANNED

Quote:
I have gone on several long drives in the Pajero and it returned 8-9 on all occassions. It was mostly driven at 90-120kmph with AC on at all times(even when idle for short 15-20min breaks). It also went off-road with partial use of 4H and 4L gears. Its a new vehicle with about 35k on the odo and is maintained religiously.

The engine can manage 120-130kmph but it feels more relaxed in 110-120kmph bracket.
Thanks Ashish, that was some valuable input from you. 8-9kmpl is quite low on the FE front, especially for a vehicle that churns out 118BHP. Hey, since it has done 35k kms, can you find out the average service costs it has incurred so far, including any spare replacements? That would be a real eye opener.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:22   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ashish, that was some valuable input from you. 8-9kmpl is quite low on the FE front, especially for a vehicle that churns out 118BHP. Hey, since it has done 35k kms, can you find out the average service costs it has incurred so far, including any spare replacements? That would be a real eye opener.
FE drops by more than 1kmpl due to use of 4WD. But it is a favourite vehicle among mine owners and mining transporters.

Regarding the service costs,I will ask my uncle and get back to you.
Old 11th March 2012, 15:18   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding the service costs,I will ask my uncle and get back to you.
Any inputs so far Ashish?
Old 13th March 2012, 20:18   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Talked to my uncle. He says the service costs are in the 5-6k range in every 10k kms. He also does a lots of long distance trips, some in very bad roads.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:23   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My friend, as an owner of a Scorpio VLX 4WD, I beg you to get the Pajero SFX.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:39   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Talked to my uncle. He says the service costs are in the 5-6k range in every 10k kms. He also does a lots of long distance trips, some in very bad roads.
Thank you Ashish.
That doesn't sound like much. 50paise per km is pretty affordable, for any vehicle. Is your uncle happy with the Pajero? What is his feedback? Does he recommend a buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My friend, as an owner of a Scorpio VLX 4WD, I beg you to get the Pajero SFX.
LOL, that is some pretty serious advice. Pray tell me, why this strong anti Scorpio sentiment from an owner? Your answer will help a lot of things that are going on in my mind.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:59   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Devdath, my uncle is very happy with the Pajero and he sincerely recomends it. Infact a couple of his friends own Audi Q7 and Captiva respectively along with Pajeros and they prefer to take their Pajero while visiting mine areas and other long trips.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed