Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: New Pajero Sport or New Toyota Fortuner?
New Pajero Sport 14 66.67%
New Toyota Fortuner 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 12:51   #61
BANNED

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
What do you recommend?
All of them have their pros and cons. What are your requirements?
Old 5th June 2017, 22:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
All of them have their pros and cons. What are your requirements?
I'm actually narrowed down to two options. Pajero Sport vs Pajero SFX (2009-2011) vs 2010-2012 Fortuner
Old 6th June 2017, 01:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

With Pajero SFX- you will have spares issue along with fake parts available in the market. You might feel the interior to be outdated but driving is a pleasure and finding a genuine low mileage one will be difficult. It feels like you are driving a tank and going for a war, thats my personal opinion and I love it.

Pajero sport- Very comfortable on and off road, well composed driving, does not feel claustrophobic inside. Does not have the short service/ pre maintenance schedules like Fortuner. Braking is far better and more comfortable then Fortuner. Steering feedback is far better and don't get any road jerks transferred through steering like fortunes. Some might agree with me on this and some might not. But very thin service network and resale value is not as good as Toyota.

Fortuner- Well this won't come cheap due to better resale value. Service network far better then the rest. Reliability of Toyota is unmatched. Parts not an issue. Only downside I see is the comfort level(specially the middle seat), braking and steering feedback which I don't like. Off road handling/comfort not as good as Mitsubishi.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 00:04   #64
BHPian

I have been using a Pajero SFX for the last 7 years and Clocked over a lakh km and I can tell you that it's a very reliable and well built car. How ever the cons you must know are as below:
1. Dealer network is small.
2. Parts availability is a problem for non running parts , however all the dealers have assured me that any parts can be arranged within a week from chennai plant.
3. The vibration caused due to critical rpm of the engine is quiet profound in the 4m40 Diesel engine . It's a problem on all pajero cars with 4m40 engine.
4.Original oem parts are prohibitively expensive, for instance front brake pads cost 9000/- for set and rear 6000/-, however brembo pads are available from their authorised dealers in chennai and Goa for half the price.
4.Its a big car but the storage spaces for knick knacks is very limited.
5. Third row seat accessibility is poor with folding required for middle row.
6. Turning radius is not so good and you will require to make a few manoeuvres to come out of congested parkings.
7. Again it's a very big car so it requires a larger parking lot.
8. Dated design and look stands apart from new Gen vehicles, and you may feel like a relic sitting in one of these , but it's an absolutely fabulous car to drive.
9. Indian model sfx have been fitted with LSD (limited slip diff), however the earlier imported examples have had rear locking diff. In my opinion the vehicles with rear locking diff performs better in Low traction eventful dresses
cjt2012 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:19   #65
USR

Dear All – Greetings!!

I own a 2008 Hyundai Verna (Diesel) which I need to change with a new car as we cannot drive a vehicle which is more than 10 years (15 yrs. for petrol) in Delhi NCR as per SC judgement.

My vehicle is in splendid condition and has done 90K, I mostly use my vehicle for going to my hometown which is roughly 600 KM from Delhi, otherwise I prefer using App based cabs for local running.

Now I am looking to buy a new vehicle and Initially my budget was INR.10 lacs but the same has been increased to INR.18 lacs. I had my eyes on Innova Crysta petrol automatic top model which was costing around INR.22 Lacs and is way above my budget. Fortunately I have an option of buying the vehicle through CSD (Army Canteen) but unfortunately petrol version of Innova does not come in CSD.

I was going through other SUV’s / MUV’s when I noticed the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Automatic Pricing, it’s very attractive (INR.17.4L – ex showroom) and hence I have few queries-

- How is the after sales & service for Pajero? I know they don’t have a big network but my query is more towards the monetary part, how much an average service of the vehicle will cost me considering everything is working fit & fine?
- Also our the spares available in the market or one has to be on their toes to get it arranged.
- I have read mixed reviews about Mitsubishi and hence in a dilemma to make the decision.

Regards,
USR

Last edited by USR : 26th September 2017 at 15:26. Reason: Spell Error
Old 26th September 2017, 16:26   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I noticed the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Automatic Pricing, it’s very attractive (INR.17.4L – ex showroom)
You can also consider, Endeavour Trend which is also available 2,2 L Trend @ 20.93. The Extra money spent on FORD should be worth as Pajero is One Generation old. Service and Spares are a big concern for someone who is short of time and cannot go in the market to look for Imported or aftermarket spares. I will go as far as recommending you a GX variant of Petrol Innova over Pajero, in case ZX becomes expensive.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2017 at 16:28.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 12:52   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
I was going through other SUV’s / MUV’s when I noticed the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Automatic Pricing, it’s very attractive (INR.17.4L – ex showroom) and hence I have few queries-

- How is the after sales & service for Pajero? I know they don’t have a big network but my query is more towards the monetary part, how much an average service of the vehicle will cost me considering everything is working fit & fine?
- Also our the spares available in the market or one has to be on their toes to get it arranged.
- I have read mixed reviews about Mitsubishi and hence in a dilemma to make the decision.
While the service network is indeed pretty thin, cities have service centres and the fact the vehicle does not need a lot of attention, it can be managed.

ALL spare parts are very easily available in the open market, both online and otherwise. Regular replacements are even easier to source than, say, Skoda/VW parts and are NOT expensive.

People who own their SUVs are a happy bunch but are also enthusiastic people, so as long as you dont expect the service to be like Toyota, you will be happy. Read up ownership reviews here and you will know.

Long Term Review

Descriptive review

To sum it up, at 17.4 lac, it is unbeatable value in my opinion, better than an Innova or other contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The Extra money spent on FORD should be worth as Pajero is One Generation old.
This is the ONLY point I agree on.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 13:01   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ALL spare parts are very easily available in the open market, both online and otherwise.
Agree but 90 % or more- FAKE. Have owned one and suffered, even here when guys have posted some photos of Made in Japan filters and stuff, I can make that it's all wrong. And don't forget Cars are meant to be driven on road, something goes wrong and you are in a fix. Without the support of the manufacturer, it will be very difficult. Of course, if someone is buying a used Pajero or something else at 1/3 rd the price of new Toyota, it will be different.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 19:34   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
Dear All – Greetings!!

I was going through other SUV’s / MUV’s when I noticed the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Automatic CSD Pricing, it’s very attractive (INR.17.4L – ex showroom) and hence I have few queries-

Regards,
USR
Well the ex showroom price is not Rs 17.4 Lakhs, but around Rs 22.80 Lakhs for the 4x4 variant.

What do the experts/ owners have to say? Does a Pajero Sport 4x4 at Rs 22.80 laksh ex showroom make for a good buy today?
Old 12th June 2018, 20:19   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Well the ex showroom price is not Rs 17.4 Lakhs, but around Rs 22.80 Lakhs for the 4x4 variant.

What do the experts/ owners have to say? Does a Pajero Sport 4x4 at Rs 22.80 laksh ex showroom make for a good buy today?
Why Pajero sport when you have better options. PS current model is in end of its life cycle. You should look at Fortuner, Endeavour, Mux, Xuv, Hexa etc.
Old 12th June 2018, 20:38   #71
BHPian

I am aware of the fact that the current version of Pajero is at the end of its life, as also about the limited service support of Mitsubishi.

However, my query is only considering the price. While the Pajero 4x4 ex showroom is 22.8 Lakhs, equivalent 4x4 variants of Fortuner/ Endeavour are atleast 7-8 lakhs more expensive. So from this perspective, does the Pajero Sport make a good buy?
Old 12th June 2018, 22:16   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am aware of the fact that the current version of Pajero is at the end of its life, as also about the limited service support of Mitsubishi.

However, my query is only considering the price. While the Pajero 4x4 ex showroom is 22.8 Lakhs, equivalent 4x4 variants of Fortuner/ Endeavour are atleast 7-8 lakhs more expensive. So from this perspective, does the Pajero Sport make a good buy?
There are Two ways to look, you get a Brand new car at prices close to probably 2-3 year old Fortuner which was relatively comparable with Pajero. So if you like the smell of new car/ leather and are on a budget go for it.

But if you factor the resale price of your new car in a couple of years, it will depreciate much faster and I may not be surprised if you actually get a lower resale price then what you will get on a old fortuner that you bought second hand today. Add to this maintenance expenses on the new Pajero - by all means these will be higher than old fortuner if bought in a good condition around 20 lac, this is by my personal experience with Toyota and Mitsubishi

I know good condition Toyota’s are hard to come but with some patience, it should be possible. If you can somehow manage to increase your budget go for the new Fortuner over anything else.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 07:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
There are Two ways to look, you get a Brand new car at prices close to probably 2-3 year old Fortuner which was relatively comparable with Pajero. So if you like the smell of new car/ leather and are on a budget go for it.

But if you factor the resale price of your new car in a couple of years, it will depreciate much faster and I may not be surprised if you actually get a lower resale price then what you will get on a old fortuner that you bought second hand today. Add to this maintenance expenses on the new Pajero - by all means these will be higher than old fortuner if bought in a good condition around 20 lac, this is by my personal experience with Toyota and Mitsubishi

I know good condition Toyota's are hard to come but with some patience, it should be possible. If you can somehow manage to increase your budget go for the new Fortuner over anything else.
Thanks for the input.
I like to keep my cars for as long as I can and whichever one I buy next, I am going to keep it for at least 10 years if not more. So resale is not much of an issue.
What worries me is the after sales support of Mitsubishi. Seeing the monthly sales charts, I am not even sure how long will Mitsubishi sustain in India.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 09:12   #74
BHPian

They've survived quite a long time with such numbers - they will likely stick around.
Also, why not wait for the new Pajero Sport? That's as new as the new Fortuner or Endeavour.
Service support aside, it certainly isn't a lesser car - in fact, if you can get over the looks, and certain shortcomings inherent in a brand that's struggling a little bit internationally, it's actually the most capable vehicle in its class.

The new one is slated to be launched in India later this year.

Edit: For someone who keeps cars for a long time, it makes sense to wait a little bit upfront and then buy the newest possible model, IMO.

Last edited by Mu009 : 13th June 2018 at 09:13. Reason: Explained above
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 21:13   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Add to this maintenance expenses on the new Pajero - by all means these will be higher than old fortuner if bought in a good condition around 20 lac, this is by my personal experience with Toyota and Mitsubishi
I partly agree with this point. The upkeep of the Pajero will be on the higher side as long as you go to the ASC and are not alert. With very low volumes, they try to make as much money as they can.
Quote:
What worries me is the after sales support of Mitsubishi. Seeing the monthly sales charts, I am not even sure how long will Mitsubishi sustain in India.
My suggestion to you would be to look for a pre-owned Pajero Sport which can easily last 10 years and all spares are available in the open market. It is a technically simple vehicle and can be repaired by any competent mechanic/garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
They've survived quite a long time with such numbers - they will likely stick around.
Also, why not wait for the new Pajero Sport
They will most likely stick around, but the wait for the new Pajero Sport is kinda long. It is not likely to be considered before the later half of next year. Also, with the kind of service network in place, I'd think twice before placing my bet on a 40 lac Mitsubishi since this isn't a simple vehicle like the current one.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks