Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 22:26   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 or Ford Endeavour EDIT - Bought Captiva

Only my opinion here and need not be pin point match to your requirements
Here is what i understand ...your 2 vehicle choices show that you are looking for an SUV with road presence.But you do not like to struggle with niggling issues.That clearly eliminates XUV from the list.Ford endeavor though a ladder on frame SUV and rugged is not known for bullet proof reliability and with the Ford Spares prices expect to pay through the nose if something conks off.I would suggest the fortuner.Though it might be a stretch right now, the resale vaue,overall cost of ownership over years and bullet proof reliability(fingers crossed) would definitely put a smile on your face.
Old 15th July 2012, 23:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Ford endeavor though a ladder on frame SUV and rugged is not known for bullet proof reliability and with the Ford Spares prices expect to pay through the nose if something conks off.
Pls substantiate. I know atleast 4 Endys with in my friends circle that has done over 1.5L+ without any reliability concerns. The Spare prices are not off the chart either.
Old 16th July 2012, 13:40   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Pls substantiate. I know atleast 4 Endys with in my friends circle that has done over 1.5L+ without any reliability concerns. The Spare prices are not off the chart either.
I partly agree with you ToroRosso. The Endy is a very reliable vehicle and I haven't heard of any breakdowns unless the vehicle is in atrocious shape. Also, in SA, it is the second highest selling SUV after the Fortuner, if that helps.

However, its spares continue to be expensive when compared with Toyota or Hyundai prices for example which is a bane that is tough to sort out since its volumes do not justify localisation and hence their high import content keeps them expensive.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 14:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
However, its spares continue to be expensive when compared with Toyota or Hyundai prices for example which is a bane.
Oh. Recently one of my colleagues was going for a Pre owned Endy (09 model @ 65k KM) . We had checked the basic price difference between the parts - Bumpers, Headlamps,door and the regulars - clutch, brake pads, discs etc. and they were comparable to that of Paj and T.Fort.
Old 16th July 2012, 15:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

both Captiva and Endeavour are CBUs, so their spares should be on the expensive side. What maters is the quality of A.S.S. I have never owned a chevy before, so that is an unknown for me.

Ford's A.S.S. was very mediocre when i owned an Ikon, but that was almost a decade back, so things may have changed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Only my opinion here and need not be pin point match to your requirements
Here is what i understand ...your 2 vehicle choices show that you are looking for an SUV with road presence.But you do not like to struggle with niggling issues.That clearly eliminates XUV from the list.Ford endeavor though a ladder on frame SUV and rugged is not known for bullet proof reliability and with the Ford Spares prices expect to pay through the nose if something conks off.I would suggest the fortuner.Though it might be a stretch right now, the resale vaue,overall cost of ownership over years and bullet proof reliability(fingers crossed) would definitely put a smile on your face.

The fortuner is way beyond my budget. I was looking for something within 20L, and the Captiva @18.35L OTR is perfect . The endy is coming to 19.3L OTR. The fortuner on teh other hand is 23.5LOTR, and there is no way I can strech to that an extent. Plus, though the Fortuner is a brilliant vehicle, it is a tad overpriced IMHO. (at that price, you dont even get rear discs!)

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The fortuner is way beyond my budget. I was looking for something within 20L, and the Captiva @18.35L OTR is perfect . The endy is coming to 19.3L OTR. The fortuner on teh other hand is 23.5LOTR, and there is no way I can strech to that an extent. Plus, though the Fortuner is a brilliant vehicle, it is a tad overpriced IMHO. (at that price, you dont even get rear discs!)
I had a couple of queries and didnt want to go OT. So sent you a PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just got an update from the dealer that the car has been despatched from teh Gujrat factory yesterday evening. Have been given the VIN and Engine number. the trouble is that when i use the VIN decoder, it doesnt give accurate results- do Chevy Korea use a different VIN decoder than GM India?
Old 17th July 2012, 15:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I partly agree with you ToroRosso. The Endy is a very reliable vehicle and I haven't heard of any breakdowns unless the vehicle is in atrocious shape. Also, in SA, it is the second highest selling SUV after the Fortuner, if that helps.

However, its spares continue to be expensive when compared with Toyota or Hyundai prices for example which is a bane that is tough to sort out since its volumes do not justify localisation and hence their high import content keeps them expensive.
@torosso the opinion i had was from an individual owner who is a friend of mine.He told me that spare prices were on the higher side.But this was a first generation endeavor and it was couple of years back.I did some research and saw some prices quoted by autocar comparing it to tavera and honda C.R.V spare prices.Surprisingly they look reasonable.

Quote:
Congratz on the vehicle choice! Have fun and looking forward to an ownership report..

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Getting my Silver Captiva delivered today. Went to the stockyard to check out the car as it was delivered from the factory yesterday eve. Got a call from the sales rep and immediately drove over, did a quick visual inspection, cheched the VIN no and engine no, all seemed OK. They will clean and polish the car and have everything ready by lunch today. So opefully, if all goes well, shoudl get delivery of the Captiva today!

MODS- please update the title to - Its a Captiva

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 23rd July 2012 at 10:38.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:21   #70
MAS
Senior - BHPian

My heartiest congratulations on owing (or just being on the verge of owing) this brilliant vehicle. Wish you a million happy miles on your new Captiva.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:16   #71
BHPian

Congratulations, wish you miles of pleasurable motoring.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:27   #72
BANNED

Quote:
They will clean and polish the car and have everything ready by lunch today. So opefully, if all goes well, shoudl get delivery of the Captiva today!

MODS- please update the title to - Its a Captiva
Congrats Himanshu, on choosing a no nonsense, premium all roader. Waiting for your ownership thread now.
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the Captiva today.

First impression is the sheer engineering finesse of the vehicle compared to teh Scorpio.....the price seems well justified IMHO.

the engine is very smooth and refined, and keeping it under 2K rpm is a challenge.

However, the driving position is not as commanding as a scorpio and neither does it get the same respect from cabbies. :P
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 08:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Himanshu. Have a wonderful ride and please post some pictures. You will slowly get used to it for sure.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Maddy. there is a world of difference driving the Captiva after driving the Safari and Scorpio. One thing for sure- i wont be able to bully people on road as much as i did with the Scorp or Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks