Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Pajero Sports 4*4 Manual OR Pajero Sports AT (2*4)
Auto Transmission 2*4 17 36.17%
Manual Transmission 4*4 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 06:44   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I was blown over by the Rexton AT. Do TD this version. The Merc lineage and technology shows and how. It's pretty good in off-road situations too, especially on sand and slush.
It's a pity that a butcher like M&M are handling this brilliant product.
Well the 'Butcher' owns the brand. Like the 'Baker' ( Geely Motors China) owns Volvo and the Candle stick maker (Tata) owns JLR....
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:36   #92
BHPian

Re: Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?

Quote:
I was blown over by the Rexton AT. Do TD this version. The Merc lineage and technology shows and how. It's pretty good in off-road situations too, especially on sand and slush.
Hi Roy,
If were blown by rexton At then you will love the manual. Its much more responsive than the AT version. Plus rexton manual has got a proper 4 low. I have just returned fron Hyd-Kaza-Hyd road trip covering nearly 5800 km in 18 days. Did a lot of offroading by default as there were hardly any roads in Kaza. The suv was totally loaded with 4 adults and 3 children and about 150kgs luggage. You are right about the Merc linage and technology. Not even a single rattle after such a long journey.
ashroy_6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:50   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
I have just returned fron Hyd-Kaza-Hyd road trip covering nearly 5800 km in 18 days. Did a lot of offroading by default as there were hardly any roads in Kaza. The suv was totally loaded with 4 adults and 3 children and about 150kgs luggage. You are right about the Merc linage and technology. Not even a single rattle after such a long journey.
Hey, thats some nice news.

How soon do you plan to start your travelogue?

It will be a big eye opener for all potential Rexton buyers and enthusiasts.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did a lot of offroading by default
Hi Ashroy,

This is where your experience with pictures and details will help us(as Dev said). If you just give us one liners, you are not doing us any good

I am saying this in good spirit, as I like the Rexton as an option for my new car, however lack of 'real time' experience from us proves to be a dampner.

Please go ahead and start your detailed ownership thread!

I will meet you in person in Hyd in December
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:30   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,
If were blown by rexton At then you will love the manual. Its much more responsive than the AT version. Plus rexton manual has got a proper 4 low. I have just returned fron Hyd-Kaza-Hyd road trip covering nearly 5800 km in 18 days. Did a lot of offroading by default as there were hardly any roads in Kaza. The suv was totally loaded with 4 adults and 3 children and about 150kgs luggage. You are right about the Merc linage and technology. Not even a single rattle after such a long journey.
If feel a Chassis based SUV has to have Low range option, if a chassis based SUV does not come with low range i feel its not worth the compromises one makes in regards to on road behavior. AT with a low range(like it has in some other markets) would have made it much better, now only MT has low range.

Rexton MT is much more nicer to drive compared to the Automatic variant, the torque convertor in AT revs the engine too much in city driving, the result is the engine never feels relaxed, MT variant feels more refined and more engaging to drive, particularly in terms of response to A pedal input. So what spoils the game? It's outdated gearbox, despite the good horsepower advantage over the MT variant it only does not feel faster.

Refinement is class best, both Pajero Sport and Fortuner feel cruder and louder in comparison, in comparison Rexton's five cylinder engine is super refined, the engine purr is music to ears. Power Delivery is not as broadly spread out and linear as the Fortuner, but once past 1800rpm it makes up with a pretty strong midrange. Turbo lag is bad, even worse than the Pajero Sport, a very aggressive anti stall feature tries to make up for weak low near idle range. At times there are instances where Fortuner can easily climb in 1st gear in 4H but low range needs to be engaged in Rexton MT.

Another Aspect worthy of praise is Euro car like Gearshift feel, no other SUV i know of has such nice gearshift action, every gear slots in with a nice click. The gearshift feel keeps getting better the age.

Okay, one more class best quality- the quality of Interiors is top notch, they've been put up together really well, i can bet they are not going to rattle. Well, the design feels outdated, atleast a decade old but quality of materials used is top notch.

Now time for some bad bits- The suspension setup is too soft, as soft as Safari and Scorpio, as a result Rexton is nowhere close to Fortuner or Pajero Sport in terms of Handling, High speed stability and Ride at speed. At low speeds Rexton rides like a hovercraft, literally eating up any kind of surface but things start to get bad with speed, the constant vertical movement especially on rear axle is annoying. Handling is predictable and safe, but it is top heavy and cumbersome around the corners, requires a lot of effort throwing into the corners and entry speeds need to be kept in check(compared PS and Fortuner), body roll is massive. It also comes with narrower 235 section rubber, compared to much wider tires on Fortuner. Steering is slow, overservo'ed and deviod of any kind of feel, vague almost everywhere.

Off road ability(for MT variant) with the solid rear axle with lots of travel and good amount of articulation, and proper off road hardware is easily in the league of proper SUVs like Fortuner and Pajero sport. Just like its rivals, both it gets open differentials front and back, no LSD, no diff locks, no electronic gadgetry (for MT).

Some might say Mahindra selling the Rexton here is a bad bit, i disagree, Do you think it would have managed this kind of sales figures if anyone else was supporting it in India? Especially with the unknown Ssangyong badge.

At a price few lakh rupees lower than it's direct competition, i feel this SUV is worthy of a look.

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-20130208_143436-copy.jpg

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-20130208_150123-copy.jpg

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-20130208_161913-copy.jpg

Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?-20130214_133120-copy.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd May 2013 at 22:33.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 00:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Roy,
Cant wait to read your travelogue or atleast a lengthy post with lots of detail!
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

I think the REXTON is one step lower than the FORTUNER and PAJERO. The rear most row is set very low to the floor and not very usable. The FORTUNER is top of the hill, it will give you the best snob value amongst the 3, the PAJERO is an all time celebrity, its exclusive and will get you favourable knods from people who know their stuff. The REXTON has to be bought as a VFM proposition

My 2 cents
Old 25th July 2013, 05:19   #98
BHPian

Guys tell me something. Is there an Automatic Transmission soon to come in the Pajero sport??? I would then wait and buy that for sure.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:22   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
Guys tell me something. Is there an Automatic Transmission soon to come in the Pajero sport??? I would then wait and buy that for sure.
There is a talk going on that but not sure when they'll release that.. I think they still want to try out their anniversary edition sales and may be release the AT version sometime in 2014.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:47   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
The AT version is supposed to come out in June 2014 and announced in the feb auto show . Also heard the diesel outlander will also be announced.

I just TDd the Pajero Sport and what a vehicle. It really handles well with a good road presence and sails over bad roads. Great view from the drivers seat and really good 2nd and 3rd row. Also looks awesome from the front and side although not that great from behind..slightly dated.

The fortuner has even better road presence and almost no turbo lag . Also slightly better seats during standstill. but the ride quality, in my opinion is really bad . It's roll is almost like my Scorpio !i believe it's only redemption is in putting a 1 Lakhs for the Tien suspension. Also the 4x2 has no ABS ? It really looks good from the side and back although don't like it from the front
A heart decision would be the Pajero Sport . Fortuner can mainly be a head decision given it's low maintenance cost and higher premium during resale.

The Pajero sport is higher there but the Bangalore dealer is ok in A.S.S ( talked to almost 5 Pajero SFX , outlander and lancer owners with 3 giving favorable and 2 not happy due to spare part costs) and all agree that the first 5-6 years has almost no need for repairs

Hope to get some more info on the Tien suspension upgrade on the fortuner soon.
Did not consider he captiva as the sales folks did not bother to get back..neither the Santa Fe folks.

What I don't know about is the manufacturing plant.will it continue to be with HM or will they break away ? This is my only worry on the PS ie mitsu's plans. Given the new launches and also the mirage it seems to be on the right path

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 5th January 2014 at 20:50.
Old 5th January 2014, 23:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
T Also the 4x2 has no ABS ?
All versions of Fortuner have ABS. I think you confused ABS with ESP (Toyota calls it VSC - Vehicle Stability Control). ESP (VSC) is offered with only 4x4 Fortuner.

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:35   #102
BHPian

Dear sh@rpshooter, If you want peace of mind with excellent product, go for Toyota Fortuner. Mitsubishi it seems is finding it tough to understand the Indian market. You can never be assured of their ASS. You already have close to 50-50 opinion from the existing owners you met.

As far as the Rexton is concerned, I have personally liked the car, but what concerns me is a post by Anshuman where his friend had a terrible time during a break down and not all Mahindra dealers are allowed to attend it. Why take such a car which can become a headache during breakdowns that too when you are miles away from your hometown.

When a person buys an SUV, it is assumed that it will be used for long distance travels as well. What is of paramount importance is the help you get from the manufacturer after a breakdown. Toyota would never disappoint you on this front, where as you can never be sure of Rexton or Pajero.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:45   #103
BHPian

Dear Sharpshooter
I wouldn't buy neither the fortuner or the Pajero Sport.
Sure both have lots of pros like hassle free Toyota and powerful butch like Mitsubishi. The biggest con is see in these two are their sheer lack in value for money.

My suggestion (personal opinion) is to buy a sparingly used Mitsubishi Montero, for the same money as a Pajero sport or the Fortuner you get more bang for the buck and value for money and a big 3.2 engine with a modern auto-transmission coupled with one of the worlds best 4WD system. (oh and a wicked stereo system)

Some folks are not too keen on buying second hand hence the brackets above, If you really want to buy either one then buy a fortuner and drive straight to get the suspension upgraded to the adjustable type and you are SET.

Last edited by msaudf : 5th January 2014 at 23:49.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 08:52   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Dear sh@rpshooter, If you want peace of mind with excellent product, go for Toyota Fortuner. Mitsubishi it seems is finding it tough to understand the Indian market. You can never be assured of their ASS. You already have close to 50-50 opinion from the existing owners you met.
Thanks mints21- I hear you and this perhaps is the main reason i am considering the Fortuner as a potential drive as on ride quality it is not really that great. Am especially scared after talking to a 35 year old who is very upset with ride but cant do anything since he bought it via the Lease option, and that the TIEN 1.45 L electronic suspension is a must.
The low number of service stations is the main -ve for the Pajero (other than a turbo lag at which the Fortuner absolutely rules...which is minor for me personally based on how I drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Dear Sharpshooter
I wouldn't buy neither the fortuner or the Pajero Sport.
Sure both have lots of pros like hassle free Toyota and powerful butch like Mitsubishi. The biggest con is see in these two are their sheer lack in value for money.

My suggestion (personal opinion) is to buy a sparingly used Mitsubishi Montero, for the same money as a Pajero sport or the Fortuner you get more bang for the buck and value for money and a big 3.2 engine with a modern auto-transmission coupled with one of the worlds best 4WD system. (oh and a wicked stereo system)

Some folks are not too keen on buying second hand hence the brackets above, If you really want to buy either one then buy a fortuner and drive straight to get the suspension upgraded to the adjustable type and you are SET.
Thanks for you input masaudf. I am one of those with a problem with 2nd hand in India !

Regarding the overpricing you are right, but that is a premium which is mostly retained even when you sell it so its not that bad and has to be lived with. Unfortunately no good option at this price range.

The problem I am hearing of is that if you upgrade the suspension to TIEN, it drops the ground clearance by 2.5cm..and that does not sound good to me !! so let me first try and find out of how true that is.

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 6th January 2014 at 08:56.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:20   #105
BHPian

Hi guys, I am, like a lot others in a similar frame of mind. Though still to do any TDs yet, I am also shortlisting Ford Endeavour AT. Didnt see it mentioned across pages? Any specific reason its not being compared to RX7/Fortuner?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks