Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:50   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

The mobilio tv ad is sufficient for me to conclude Ertiga is better than mobilio Even though, the interiors etc is good, the price is a let down and this is where Ertiga wins. I love drive my BIL's diesel Etriga. I wonder how is the driveability of Mobilio (including its NVH levels) compared to Ertiga.
Old 3rd August 2014, 15:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I am not talking about the dimension per se. What matters to us is the space liberated for passengers inside the car which depends on the design know-how of the manufacturer.

There are enough threads available to show that there is more space available in Mobilio. This is one: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/comparison...-innova-388131

"The Mobilio with its 4386mm length, 1683mm width and 1603mm height may look lesser in dimensions than the Ertiga on paper, but the car in real is more spacious. Following Honda's "Man maximum, machine minimum" philosophy, the Japanese automajor has packaged the car so well that despite being a tad smaller in dimesnions, the car offers more space to its occupants"

I have checked out both the cars. The difference is significant in the third row and Mobilio scores here. The July edition of Autocar has run a comparison article. Check it out: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...on-389125.aspx

Well autocar can write what they like but if you have sat inside both the mobilio is certainly narrower in any of the rows ( forget the 3rd row).

And if the design to liberate space you are referring to is making seats wafer thin then I doubt it makes mobilio any better.
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

On my drive to office in morning came across 4 Mobilio at different places. Seems like In spite of high cost Honda will be able to sell it in decent numbers .

Had an interesting chat with a gentleman yesterday at Honda showroom. I was their for the service and he came with his wife to book Mobilio. I asked him why aren't you considering Ertiga when it's cheaper with better interiors. He said everyone in his family wants Mobilio as Honda is a better 'brand'. This perception may be their in many buyers.
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Well autocar can write what they like but if you have sat inside both the mobilio is certainly narrower in any of the rows ( forget the 3rd row).

And if the design to liberate space you are referring to is making seats wafer thin then I doubt it makes mobilio any better.
Well, if so called wafer thin seats can handle the weight of 3 people, has right under thigh plus back support coupled with the right form density, then is there any reason that we be concerned more about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On my drive to office in morning came across 4 Mobilio at different places. Seems like In spite of high cost Honda will be able to sell it in decent numbers .

Had an interesting chat with a gentleman yesterday at Honda showroom. I was their for the service and he came with his wife to book Mobilio. I asked him why aren't you considering Ertiga when it's cheaper with better interiors. He said everyone in his family wants Mobilio as Honda is a better 'brand'. This perception may be their in many buyers.
Mmm, me also think in similar lines. I guess it all depends on how one sees value.

Knowingly or unknowingly, people projects themselves as brands to the society in which they live. Once people identify and relate to their own brand, they will also end up relating to other brands that they keep. On that front, a Honda is on a higher pecking order than a Maruti on any day. How many customers at the 10 lakh price point, consider a car as just a mode of conveyance and nothing more? Also, in the 10 lack+ segment, a large chunk of the cars being sold are the fully loaded versions rather than the skimpy base variants. Perceived status is as important as price in this segment.

Value in my opinion is not just constrained to the naive 'price vs number of features offered' analysis. As written in a post above, I believe we have to factor in the soft factors as well as the long term positives that a brand offers vis-a-vis others.

Last edited by B103 : 3rd August 2014 at 20:39.
Old 4th August 2014, 02:42   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if so called wafer thin seats can handle the weight of 3 people, has right under thigh plus back support coupled with the right form density, then is there any reason that we be concerned more about it?

Mmm, me also think in similar lines. I guess it all depends on how one sees value.

Knowingly or unknowingly, people projects themselves as brands to the society in which they live. Once people identify and relate to their own brand, they will also end up relating to other brands that they keep. On that front, a Honda is on a higher pecking order than a Maruti on any day. How many customers at the 10 lakh price point, consider a car as just a mode of conveyance and nothing more? Also, in the 10 lack+ segment, a large chunk of the cars being sold are the fully loaded versions rather than the skimpy base variants. Perceived status is as important as price in this segment.

Value in my opinion is not just constrained to the naive 'price vs number of features offered' analysis. As written in a post above, I believe we have to factor in the soft factors as well as the long term positives that a brand offers vis-a-vis others.
Finally agree with you here. Honda used to make good cars with decent build and equipment levels. They also have a decent after sales. Thats what made their brand in india so people were ready to pay a premium for that. But with cars like mobilio and the newest honda city the brand is going south so perceptions will change. Honda will soon be known for expensive not so good cars and nobodys paying a premium for that. As for after sales maruti has it all covered.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:11   #111
BHPian

Quote:

Very valid, we are a brand sensitive and brand conscious community, many times our beliefs are blind even bordering superstition.
For instance, I currently have this perceived feel good factor about Yokohama, so no matter which dealer I visited and what quote & reviews I got on other brands, I eventually ended picking Yoko's again, something similar to if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I didn't have a reason to dislike Yoko and didn't have a reason to like another.

Back to the thread, between Mobilio and Ertiga, I favor Ertiga, Mobilio looks like a Chinese attempt, secondly I am not a fan of those thin metal & build everywhere, no matter how much they save in fuel costs. Maybe I over expect from Honda and they under delivered.
Also because this belief got cemented as my cousin owns an Amaze P and some how neither of us can justify its competitiveness, except in area of looks. Of course the car is absolutely stress free but devoid of emotion.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 22nd August 2014 at 22:20.
Old 23rd August 2014, 06:24   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Honda will soon be known for expensive not so good cars and nobodys paying a premium for that.
Well said!

Honda has a line-up of cheap feeling cars in their showroom now, nowhere near the premium feel their products had five years back. At this rate - the brand value and premium people pay for Honda products will soon be a thing of the past.

My personal experience - My wife went from 'Whatever you do, I don't care, I WANT to purchase this HONDA City' to 'What a flimsy and plasticky car! No way we are buying this one' just after a TD. And Amaze even my mom rejected outright without even a TD!
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

Without an iota of doubt, it is the Ertiga for me.

While scouting for a car for my colleague we had test driven the Mobilio. There is no way I am suggesting this car to anyone at that price level. Everything looks so cheap with cost cutting evident everywhere. The thin seat backs which improve space look outright flimsy. That rear armrest was shaking crazily and would not be out of place in a wooden bench at schools.The Ertiga looks a better buy even with smaller engines and lesser space.

There was a time when Maruti was all about cost cutting and Honda signified premium. But now with Amaze and Mobilio, Honda have literally turned the tables.

Ertiga by a Mile and some more for me!!
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:03   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

There was a time when Maruti was all about cost cutting and Honda signified premium.

Ertiga by a Mile and some more for me!!
It was just that the 'cheap' (qualitywise) and cost cutting attitude was heavily done by Maruti Suzuki but now Honda takes the crown. Ever since the 'new' Swift had been launched, things are getting better overall.

I am only waiting for the Ertiga to get a facelift / refresh with some genuine usable features and then watch Ertiga sell even well.

Anurag
Old 24th August 2014, 18:21   #115
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It was just that the 'cheap' (qualitywise) and cost cutting attitude was heavily done by Maruti Suzuki but now Honda takes the crown. Ever since the 'new' Swift had been launched, things are getting better overall.

I am only waiting for the Ertiga to get a facelift / refresh with some genuine usable features and then watch Ertiga sell even well.

Anurag
Absolutely correct.

They can give ACC, AT, Reversing Camera etc

If the S-cross is coming with the Peugoet 1.5 l TUD5/ Fiat 1.5 l JTD, I think it makes sense for Maruti to put one of this engines in the Ertiga. That will put it even more close to Mobilio in terms of performance(diesel version only.)
Old 24th August 2014, 18:25   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post

Absolutely correct.

They can give ACC, AT, Reversing Camera etc

If the S-cross is coming with the Peugoet 1.5 l TUD5/ Fiat 1.5 l JTD, I think it makes sense for Maruti to put one of this engines in the Ertiga. That will put it even more close to Mobilio in terms of performance(diesel version only.)
ACC and Reverse camera I can expect but an AT is difficult. I will be happy if proven wrong by Maruti.

The 1.6L MJD or HDi will be a great plus for the Ertiga if it does make it and I am sure it will.

I am expecting Maruti to give AMT in Swift, Ciaz, S-Cross and Ertiga in the diesel avatar as well. Preference currently would be too Ciaz and S-Cross though.

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga has been available in Dubai only in AT. Haven't seen a single vehicle on road though.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-ertiga-1.jpg  

Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-ertiga-2.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 23:18   #118
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
ACC and Reverse camera I can expect but an AT is difficult. I will be happy if proven wrong by Maruti.

The 1.6L MJD or HDi will be a great plus for the Ertiga if it does make it and I am sure it will.

I am expecting Maruti to give AMT in Swift, Ciaz, S-Cross and Ertiga in the diesel avatar as well. Preference currently would be too Ciaz and S-Cross though.

Anurag.
+1
Maruti should give us a pleasant surprise by offering AMT in Ertiga
A Ertiga ZDI with around 40 K premium over MT car for AMT variant will be a very interesting proposition(40K premium for AMT considered based on current pricing of Celerio)
I believe, AMT will complement to car's highway cruising capability by adding huge amount of comfort.

Albeit, Maruti should not repeat their story of not meeting demand of AMT as in case of Celerio.

Regards,

JLS
Old 24th August 2014, 23:26   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Albeit, Maruti should not repeat their story of not meeting demand of AMT as in case of Celerio.
Issue is not with Maruti. Even TATA is facing the supply constraints with Zest, and its only worse in the case of TATA as Maruti gets first preference.

Until Magneti Marelli starts local production in India, which is rumoured to start sometime in second half of 2015, the supply of AMT cars cannot meet the demand and these manufacturers will have seconds thoughts on expanding their AMT lineup.
Old 25th August 2014, 00:17   #120
Team-BHP Support

I don't see Ertiga, Ciaz, S-cross getting AMT's at all. As you go up the segment, buyers will not compromise with the AMT. They would prefer a smooth shifting automatic without the quirks of the AMT.

Maruti knows this and that's why even the Swift/Dzire is yet to get the AMT. They want to be sure it will be accepted buy the public.

Tata have the first mover advantage now and looking at initial response to Zest AMT, Maruti will be watching closely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks