Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which medium-size MPV would you choose?
Honda Mobilio 111 23.37%
Maruti Ertiga 364 76.63%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 10:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Mobilio top end Petrol is 10.36 OTR Pune as per above sheet posted by Kedar. That is whopping 2 Lacs of difference (after considering discounts on Ertiga). Its too much IMHO. Clearly price wise Honda has messed it up. Too bad Honda.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:57   #92
BHPian

First of all sorry about my post which could be same as many of the above posts.
I voted for Ertiga. If I had another option, I would have voted for Ecosport.
Now, in this segment, there are multiple choices who are looking at MUV/SUV kind of four wheeler.
Logically, if somebody is looking at MUV/SUV, they have long drives in mind and with out much doubt Diesel makes sense. I see Mobilio IDTEC top end is costing 12.76L. That means, we have dusters and ecosports also in the competition.
If somebody is looking at Mobilio from big car and road presence point of view also, there are better looking cars including its own Honda City in this price segment. How on earth one could buy Mobilio IDTEC at 12.76L? which has following:
1. Brio dashboard
2. Brio hood
3. Maruti Omni like 2nd/3rd row bench seats
4. rear A/C vents and switch also look very cheep.
5. No ORVM indicators? (even amaze has it)

Sorry Honda, cost cutting everywhere (except engine), but priced a segment above! and that RS version costs 14.15L!!!! for some cosmetic changes! For sure, Honda has made another Jazzy mistake on pricing.
ssbshankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:30   #93
BHPian

I voted for Ertiga. For the premium that Honda is charging on the Mobilio I would have expected the interiors of the City/Jazz on the Mobilio. The technical spec could be superior to that of the Ertiga but noway Mobilio deserves a premium of 1 lac more than the Ertiga.

Also, came across this quite useful comparision of Mobilio vs Ertiga on NDTV and the guys were praising Mobilio's interiors

http://auto.ndtv.com/videos/mobilio-...ed-polo-331660
Old 28th July 2014, 12:10   #94
BHPian

I voted for Ertiga. I checked out the mobilio at the InOrbit mall yesterday. I am 6 foot tall and I could barely get myself seated comfortably in the drivers seat. I pushed the driver seat all the way back and pushed the steering all the way up and the only way I could drive would be to have my legs stretched and the wheel between my thighs and even then it would keep rubbing my thighs.

I had driven an ertiga earlier and I know I never felt this kind of discomfort in it.

Otherwise, from the front, it looks no different than a brio/amaze and the seats are very thin for all the rows and the last row seat could barely seat my butt.

Sorry I will buy this vehicle if and only if it is offered for half its current asking price.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:43   #95
BHPian

I voted Ertiga, not just for the price factor, but I feel Ertiga looks better than the Mobilio. Barring the boot space Ertiga scores well in all sections. The engine may sound better in Mobilio but only time can tell if it really is. Overall I would say Ertiga is a better product for lesser price.

I kinda got reminded by the Birbal story, where he draws a bigger line next to a line to make it smaller. Here Honda has drawn a smaller line and made the Ertiga look bigger. Truly, many are seeing Ertiga as a nice package and VFM after the Mobilio launch. Kudos to MSIL for the success of Ertiga.

Last edited by joe_antony : 28th July 2014 at 13:45.
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:32   #96
BHPian

It is Mobilio all the way for me. I own a Honda City for the last 4+ years now. That is long enough time to ratify the underpinnings of a vehicle in terms of quality and hassle free ownership. Note that I am impressed because of my good experience about owing a car from the stable but not slavish about Honda as a brand per se.

There are a couple of factors to examine in this debate between Ertiga vs Mobilio. Some are technical and some are soft factors. I presume, technical factors are obvious. So it is the soft factors where people have different scales. Nevertheless, I will try to capture both.

Technical factors:
1) Mobilio has better engines for petrol as well as diesel variants in terms of horse power
2) Better mileage, particularly the diesel engine
3) Additional room compared to Ertiga
4) Honda's long term cost of ownership for cars even in higher segments are in many cases lower than that of Maruti's. Service cost of Marutis are not as cheap as it was or as it used to be

Soft factors:
1) Companies build brands. This is something that one may have to pay extra bucks for though features in the product may be comparable. To relate, think about buying a tablet computer, an Apple or Micromax. Though they may have same features, one has to shell out significantly more money to own an iPad. In terms of brand, Suzuki is no where comparable to Honda internationally. Even after so many years, Suzuki does not have a diesel engine of their own. I am afraid they may not have the wherewithal to make one of their own in the near future. After so many years of continuous losses, Suzuki declared bankruptcy and quit from North America altogether. What I am trying to bring to your attention is that there is indeed a difference between brand Honda and brand Suzuki. Of course, there is a conceived difference in value and prestige of ownership too

2) The most important factor for many Indians is the perceived value for money in terms of the initial asking price. Next is the estimated cost of fuel expenses.

This manifests as some sort of 'follow the crowd' mentality where many lack clarity about own needs. I also see a lack the awareness about virtues/values a particular brand offers in the long run.

I am sure, you would have seen people in the past spewing venom in various online forums on Honda Jazz because the asking price was premium. I saw the same set of people lamenting or eschewing the virtues of Jazz later, terming it retrospectively as one of finest vehicle in the segment in terms of various attributes.

Of course, world will be boring if every one speaks in same tone and voice. Critics are welcome. I'm sure there will be many.

Last edited by B103 : 29th July 2014 at 21:50.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 01:12   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_2_drive View Post
Looks like its best time for Hyundai to jump into the party.......Come on Hyundai, bring some competition to the park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Excellent point. They can study the two cars and custom create a product that provides the best possible combination of required features, flexibility, looks, service peace of mind and right pricing. And given their track record and skill sets this is not something they cannot achieve.
Couldn't agree more, being a Santro owner myself, and the terrific jobs they have done with i10, grand i10, xcent, i20 etc, a Hyundai 7-seater would be a winner all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
We don't have any scoops, neither any indications of Hyundai's future plans. How can a company like Hyundai afford to miss such a fantastic opportunity?

Sorry for going OT here, but I saw some rumors around Hyundai's hexa-space MPV, is that happening for real? And would that be in the Ertiga-Mobilio 7-seater space? Or more (compact) SUV segment?
Old 30th July 2014, 14:15   #98
BHPian

Just added a post on the Mobilio official review forum for an article published in Autocar India questioning the Mobilio pricing. Thought of sharing it on this forum as well - Link to the post
Old 1st August 2014, 01:23   #99
BANNED

Here is a small comparison done by OD between the Ertiga and the Mobilio on the basis of features available in each variant and their costs. What one gains and looses between the two in each variant.

SOURCE: http://overdrive.in/reviews/mobilio-...th-the-ertiga/

Ertiga does trump from the mid-variant with the VFM tag and the safety features at an affordable price which if I am not wrong is the most selling of all (the VDi if first and after that the ZDi)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Results of the Poll:

Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga-untitled.jpg

Not surprising to see the results which are stagnant at 80% Ertiga and 20% Mobilio.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st August 2014 at 01:28. Reason: Adding the poll snapshot!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 03:45   #100
BHPian

I voted for Ertiga. I agree with what everyone has to say about the Ertiga and somehow I had the gut feeling even before the launch that the Mobilo will not be able to dent the sales numbers of the Ertiga which I even posted in the relevant forum. We all anticipated that Honda has stuck to the pricing lessons that it learnt with Amaze and Brio when they presented the City earlier this year, however they wanted to surprise us with Mobilo.
Sorry Honda just wait for the surprising sales figures waiting in stores for you and I also read that they are delaying the production of the city due to logistics issue as they want to give way to the Mobilo, unfortunately this may so dearly cost them.
Honestly like many others its a sure disappointment on many factors. I found the accessories on the RV more like after market and somehow missed the class and finesse.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 1st August 2014, 03:51   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post

I also read that they are delaying the production of the city due to logistics issue as they want to give way to the Mobilo, unfortunately this may so dearly cost them.
If this is correct the I feel sad for the down line guys @ Honda as they'll not be paid well as sakes will be low hence lower income + profits.

Stopping / delaying City production and shipments for the Mobilio!! This phenomena is like neither will the Mobilio sell well now will they let the City sell.

Bad thought.

Anurag.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:02   #102
BHPian

My vote is for Ertiga; not because I own one but because Honda, which is known for best sellers has disappointed with the Mobilio. On the other hand, Maruti Suzuki is demonstrating perhaps its coming of age and ability to compete and win in the segments beyond the compact cars.

I have a basic question on the term "platform". As we all know, Ertiga is based on the Swift platform and Mobilio on the Brio/Amaze platform.

Does "platform" encompass the following?
a) Key automotive components / parts such as engine, transmission, gear box and the like
b) Major body parts like doors, chassis, bonnet, pillars, etc
c) Electrical / electronic components and parts like switches, relays and so on
d) Other components ...

If the above holds good, why did Honda not try and use the City platform (I mean IF there is such a categorization for the City and related models that Honda manufactures globally)? I haven't driven one but I do ride in it when I carpool to office and can vouch for the quality levels; overall experience is simply great.

As some other BHPians may have mentioned in this or other Mobilio Review thread, even the Jazz "platform" would have been a good choice. It would probably have given Honda a killer of a product over Ertiga.

PS:
I work in the software services industry and a major challenge in my professional world has always been re-use of existing software components. The auto industry (in recent 8-10 years since I started to follow) never ceases to amaze me with the concept of "platforms" where re-use is the key to deriving maximum benefit from a product line and launching multiple products with incremental investment in design/research. The genesis of my question above is also a result of this comparison that I keep making between my job and the automobile industry.
ramassrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:49   #103
BHPian

This comparison comes to mind quite naturally. However, I wonder if this is the right comparison to make in the first place. Mobilio has engine capacity and space bigger than the Ertiga but smaller than Innova.

I am tending to think that Honda wanted to price it in that line -- a segment above Ertiga but positioned below Innova.

Last edited by B103 : 2nd August 2014 at 15:50.
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:03   #104
BHPian

Honda Mobilio vs Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
This comparison comes to mind quite naturally. However, I wonder if this is the right comparison to make in the first place. Mobilio has engine capacity and space bigger than the Ertiga but smaller than Innova.

I am tending to think that Honda wanted to price it in that line -- a segment above Ertiga but positioned below Innova.

How is the mobilio space bigger than ertiga? It is infact smaller - another post on this thread has the numbers.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:01   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
How is the mobilio space bigger than ertiga? It is infact smaller - another post on this thread has the numbers.
I am not talking about the dimension per se. What matters to us is the space liberated for passengers inside the car which depends on the design know-how of the manufacturer.

There are enough threads available to show that there is more space available in Mobilio. This is one: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/comparison...-innova-388131

"The Mobilio with its 4386mm length, 1683mm width and 1603mm height may look lesser in dimensions than the Ertiga on paper, but the car in real is more spacious. Following Honda's "Man maximum, machine minimum" philosophy, the Japanese automajor has packaged the car so well that despite being a tad smaller in dimesnions, the car offers more space to its occupants"

I have checked out both the cars. The difference is significant in the third row and Mobilio scores here. The July edition of Autocar has run a comparison article. Check it out: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...on-389125.aspx
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks